Rock Island 1911 ?'s

PDA

gdcpony
October 15, 2010, 11:57 AM
I had one of these a few years back and found it a decent pistol for the price. It wasn't my Kimber, but it was still a quality piece. I later gave it to my brother and regret it now. So my wife has given the ok to get another pistol and of course it will be a 1911. Of course, the married budget doesn't allow another TLE RL (my favorite of all time and another I miss badly). Since my brother is not parting with my old one (I asked to BUY it back since I had a few parts swaped into it), I was looking at another RI. There is a stainless out that looks good, but I am wondering if the quality is still at least as good as it used to be. Again I don't expect a diamond for the price of coal, but are they as good as they were? If so I have a line on one for $380 and might pick it up.

I will probably be modding it as very few things escape my tinkering, so interchangiblity of parts is a big thing. My old one also needed a bit of work to feed huge HP's through, but that was easy. The slide to fram fit was perfect too. This is the kind of thing I am looking for.

Can you guys give me any input on it before I buy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island 1911 ?'s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tinygnat219
October 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
380 for a 1911 is a good buy. The folks at Armscorp build these in the Phillipenes and they turn out a fairly nice product.
I say go for it.

gdcpony
October 15, 2010, 01:47 PM
Now another question. I don't have my log books rom reloading for it (currently deployed), but I know I never loaded for deer. I have hunted yote's with 1911's, but OH now allows them for deer as well. I figure my defense loads would work, but does anyone have any suggestions as far as bullets for hunting deer specifically with the 45ACP? Just something I'd like to try next year. A yote gets knocked down pretty well with any bullet out of this gun, but a deer might require some thought. I would be within 30yds (I bowhunt mostly so that is normal) and still hunting.

FLAvalanche
October 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
You won't be disappointed by the Rock. I love mine. It's never had a problem feeding large hollowpoints however mine is the Tactical model. The G.I. model I would expect to have problems feeding hollowpoints because the original 1911 was designed for ball and the G.I. Rocks are pretty close to original specs.

The Tactical model has some bells and whistles over the G.I. like a beavertail, ambi-safety, skeleton hammer and trigger, it's ramped for hollowpoints and I believe the ejection port is lowered and flared. It's a great gun for the money and I wouldn't give mine up for the last Kimber on earth.

As far as hunting (and personal defense), I use 230 grain Winchester Ranger SXT on close range hogs so I'm sure it will perform just as good if not better on deer.

Bullnettles
October 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
Bought my RI in the tactical version a few months back, absolutely no issues with it besides buying ammo, haha. I reload, just haven't accumulated enough brass to buy a die for it yet.

Furncliff
October 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've had my Tactical for 2 1/2 years. It was a Christmas gift from my wife. It has the best out of the box trigger I have ever experienced. I have shot it from a rest at 15 yards with Win WB ball ammo, all rounds went through one ragged hole. I had some feed problems at first and I busted a slide stop. But it runs just fine now, especially since I switched to Chip McCormack mags. Take an inventory of the small parts like the slide stop that aren't solid steel and change them out. I'm doing it a piece at a time, but all at once makes more sense. RIA has a a reputation for good customer service. Somehow we didn't connect very well and I ended up buying my parts elsewhere.<shrug>

CZ223
October 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
A Comp Tac in 45 ACP and a full sized Tactical in 9mm. I bought the 9mm as a practice gun so that I could use cheap 9mm ammo. The RIA is a decent gun for the money. As far as I know they do not make a stainless gun. If they do I want one. I think what you saw was probably one of their nickled models. As for hunting deer with the 45 ACP, I would load a 230 RNFP, as long as it work in your gun, over a max charge of your your favorite powder.

pvthouse
October 16, 2010, 02:53 AM
Not to hijack a thread but I'm lookin at the two-tone tactical full size. are they worth the money?

bds
October 16, 2010, 03:16 AM
RIA Tactical two tone looks great at $490 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411538986).
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/Rock%20Island%2051438.jpg

Sky
October 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
You never did say where for $380??

Two friends have RIAs and are the type who can't believe anyone would buy anything else. I am kinda alright for I have the Metro Arms American Classic ll. I have only heard of one bad report about Filipino 1911s but there are probably others as in everything.

harmon rabb
October 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
I have a RIA Tactical that's relatively new. Only issue I have with it is that .45acp is a little expensive for plinking :D

Seriously, maybe I just got a good one, but mine feels like it's as high quality a gun as can be made. The slide fits perfectly to the frame, and the fit tight like prom night. Zero play or rattle whatsoever, yet racks positively and easy. The safety snicks on and off positively, but without too much effort. The trigger is nice, the grip safety depresses with a very small amount of pressure, and the mags lock into place positively when inserted (and drop completely free when you hit the smooth depressing mag release). Zero malfunctions of any kind, and it's more accurate than I am.

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. I would absolutely buy another.

jaysouth
October 16, 2010, 01:05 PM
I have and have had a whole bunch of 1911's.

My RIA Tactical is outstanding value for the money.

For a killer price, contact Phil Mitchell at Belshire Hardware in Nashville, TN. He has a bunch listed on Gun Broker at any given time.

LoganMI
October 16, 2010, 09:19 PM
I bought a RIA officers a few years ago and am very pleased with it. The only issue I had was the mag catch wasn't big enough (the mag would fall out when fired), but a gunsmith fixed it for minimal $ , and now I couldn't be happier with it.

ol' scratch
October 16, 2010, 11:48 PM
Great pistol and handles many aftermarket parts. I dropped a Wilson extended safety in mine, a tool steel slide stop, and a stainless spring guide. Not a problem and the pistol functions well.

bds
October 17, 2010, 09:21 AM
Only issue I have with it is that .45acp is a little expensive for plinking
I used to think that way. I reload lead 200 gr 45ACP and the cost is less than $6.00 per 50 rounds using bulk components from Powder Valley and Missouri Bullets:

Powder - $16/1lb ($108/8lbs HP38 + $20 - 1/2 of HazMat/Shipping using 5.0 gr per charge)
Primer - $24/1000 ($20 + $4 - 1/5 of 1/2 of HazMat/Shipping for case of 5000)
Bullet - $80.40/1000 ($34.20/500 + $12 Shipping 200 gr lead RN/SWC - They offer 5% THR discount)

Cost / 50 - $5.79
Cost / 1000 - $116

gdcpony
October 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys. Like I said I liked my old one so I just wanted to confirm they hadn't changed. My brother got it from me with some Wilson Combat parts thrown on for his B-day in 2005. I had two Kimbers at the time so it made a good gift as he needed one for work and couldn't afford one. Now, he says he'll only part with it for a glock 23 (YUCK!!!) and I ain't dumb enough to make that trade.

The one I'm looking at is a satin nickel model and from a private seller who needs the money. I am in Afghanistan so the wife will be making the purchase for me. Deal was when my son was five. By the time I get back he will be.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island 1911 ?'s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!