Just wondering

PDA

svtruth
October 15, 2010, 01:30 PM
Are there more NDs with revolvers than semi autos, or the other way around? Or does no one know?
Yes, I did try a search.
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just wondering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
October 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
I can't imagine that anyone would know for sure. But my guess is autoloaders because of the mistake that people make if they eject the chambered round and let the slide close when there is a loaded magazine inserted. They might think that they are clearing the gun, but obviously they are not.

Like this: http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6772925&postcount=2

General Geoff
October 15, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'd bet there are far more with autoloaders, for the same reaons mentioned by CoRoMo. Anyone who does not have a solid understanding of how an autoloading pistol functions, is in danger of having a round in the pipe when they think there is none. This is another reason for the first rule of gun safety, the gun is always loaded. no exceptions.

KodiakBeer
October 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
Ditto to CoRoMo and General Geoff!

In addition to their points; autos appeal to newbies who are less proficient and knowledgeable about guns. Toss in the Glocks and various clones (without manual safeties) and you have a recipe for ND's.

That isn't a swipe at Glocks (which are fine pistols even if they are plastic) but just an acknowledgment that such pieces require some trigger discipline, which is something that only training or experience can bestow.

foghornl
October 15, 2010, 02:46 PM
With a double-action revolver, it is simple...open the action, dump the ammo out, and you can see that it is empty. I have seen a couple of times where someone emptying a single-action revolver didn't count the ammo and left 1 or 2 in the cylinder.

Also, as mentioned earlier, sometimes the slide gets pulled and ejects the round in the chamber, but person doesn't remember that closing the action strips a fresh round out of the magazine.... (Like the 'Rasta-Narc' a few years back..."I'm the only one in this room that I know of professional enough to carry this Glock .40....BANG!")

Another thing...If I Recall Correctly, SOME autos require operating the trigger to field-strip

If you enjoyed reading about "Just wondering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!