rifling systems

PDA

Nicodemus38
October 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
read a handgun rag today in which they said the Colt Multi-Cal and or Medusa would be reintroduced in a year or so.

Also found an article review utilizing a new sw handgun in which sw used a new rifling pattern that would allow the use of lead bullets in addition to standard fmj type.

i ask how much hooey are people believing?

If you enjoyed reading about "rifling systems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
19-3Ben
October 16, 2010, 10:49 AM
in which sw used a new rifling pattern that would allow the use of lead bullets in addition to standard fmj type.

Oh yeah, that's that fancy shmancy new type of rifling I read about. I think they call it 'land and groove'. It's crazy. It even makes the bullet spin so it's more accurate.
Amazing what they can do with modern technology.

Robert Wilson
October 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
Dunno exactly what the article is referring to, but the EDM rifling that SW is using in many of their current revolvers isn't well suited to cast bullets in my experience. The grooves contain many very small longitudinal grooves which catch and hold lead like nothing I've ever seen, and all the traditional methods (Lewis Lead Remover, Chore Boy on a brush, shooting it out with jacketed bullets, etc.) fail miserably. Only the reverse electroplating set-ups (Foul-Out, etc.) will do the trick, but then another dozen cast bullets lead the bore right back up again.

So maybe Smith is "introducing" cut rifling to the world, a la "Coke Classic", and hoping we really are that stupid.

If you enjoyed reading about "rifling systems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!