Gun presentation in school today

PDA

nsf003
January 23, 2003, 11:23 AM
I'm doing a gun presentation to my class today. Gun safety and how to field strip and clean a ruger P94. I had minimal trouble convincing the principal to let me bring a gun in.(he is an avid hunter). I had to keep it in the office. I just got done carrying it down the hall in a case and hoping no sheeple see and go running down the hall screaming "gun gun!! oh my god gun!!!" I'll tell everyone how it goes.

nsf

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun presentation in school today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
January 23, 2003, 11:25 AM
:eek: :what:

Dave R
January 23, 2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks for performing a valuable community service. I'm eager to hear how it went.

Viking6
January 23, 2003, 11:33 AM
This will truly be rich!

4v50 Gary
January 23, 2003, 11:39 AM
What school?

Spackler
January 23, 2003, 11:50 AM
I hope I won't be reading about this in the newspaper tomorrow morning.

50 Shooter
January 23, 2003, 11:57 AM
Spackler,
I can see the headlines now "Principal and Teacher allow student to bring gun to class"! Angry parents call for the dismissal of the principal and teacher, Jane Nobody couldn't believe what she was hearing when her son came home today. I was thinking to myself, "What are they thinking, we don't need another Columbine"! Guns are too dangerous in the hands of the sheeple and only the Government and Police should have them.

I can't wait to hear, "The rest of the story".:neener:

pbman
January 23, 2003, 01:01 PM
I did the same with a 22 rifle in the late seventies.

Demontrative speach, on how to clean a rifle. I forgot my patches, so the teacher only gave me B. :D

JamisJockey
January 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
Back in the early ninties (back in 'the day'), I went to HS in an Eastern NC school. Guns were generally not allowed on campus (although once in awhile they were for whatever reasons)...I remember seeing all the hunters parked on the street just outside of school property with hunting rifles in gun racks in plain view from the school during deer season! The really funny thing was that many teachers were calling in sick...to go hunting!
:)

foghornl
January 23, 2003, 01:30 PM
Gave a speech in Senior year class about cleaning & maitaining shotguns, complete with Rem 1100. Don't think I'd try that now, though.

p.s. was more than 30 years back, in the mid-South.

kalibear45
January 23, 2003, 01:52 PM
Good luck on your presentation and keep us updated...

Average Guy
January 23, 2003, 02:47 PM
In high school, on "Army Day," I carried a realistic plastic toy M16 to all my classes. This was 1979 or so...

A couple of years ago in a speech class at a local community college, my final speech was on the benefits of CCW. My attention-getter was to mimic shooting every student in the class (including reloads), yelling "BANG!" as I went. The alternate scenario I proposed was that after I got the first shot off, the smallest girl in the class took me out with her own legally concealed handgun. (I don't know whether anyone was convinced; I don't recall anyone talking to me after that speech.)

Yes, I "shot" the teacher, too. She was a sub, and obviously an ex-hippie earth mother type. I got an A, an an invitation to join the debate team. :D

nsf003
January 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
Didn't get to go today, have to go Monday.:fire: Other people had to go ahead of me. Everyone in my class was amazingly calm about a "gun gun! oh my god gun!" being in class. Later in the afternoon, an announcement came over the speaker saying for teachers to hold their students in class and not let anyone out. I was thinking the whole time "Oh great, someone in my class told some sheep that nsf has a gun and they went screaming to the office and they called a swat team to come and take me to a camp" It turned out to be an injury and they needed room to get the medical people in.

Stuff like that always happens to me. Last year, we had a bomb threat. Everyone was evacuated. This was the only day that I brought a hunting knife in my bag (going hunting after school). It wasn't my bookbag and wasn't in my locker. It was in my dad's office rolled up in my hunting clothes. They searched everything, including lockers and bags, but didn't find it.

I'm an unlucky sob when it comes to stuff like this.

nsf

Mad Man
January 23, 2003, 09:09 PM
I remember when I was taking a class on public speaking at the University of Colorado-Denver (http://www.cudenver.edu), back in 1990.

We had to give a speach on how to do something.

I turned in my outline, indicating that I was going to explain and demonstrate how to assemble an AR-15, while blindfolded.

On the day I was to give my presentation, the teacher came up to me and asked "Uh, I just noticed the topic of your speech. You didn't bring a machine gun to class, did you?"

I looked down at the black bag next to my chair, realized that he would have freaked out if I told him that there was a disassembled AR in there, and said something like, "Uh, no. I decided just do do the bolt carrier assembly (http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/boltcarrier.html)" and pulled it out of my pocket to show him what it was. He seemed relieved.

As it turned out, I needed all of my alloted time just to explain how to assemble the bolt carrier assembly. So it was probalby a good thing I didn't demonstrate how to assemble the entire rifle.

I ended up not finishing that semester (for reasons unrelated to the AR), so I ended up taking the class again the next year.

So of course, I once again demonstrated how to assemble an AR-15 bolt carrier assembly while blindfolded. At the end, I got a higher-than-normal level of applause.

I like to think that it was a standing ovation. But since I was blindfolded, I couldn't see the crowd.

The only other thing I really remember from that class was that it probably had some of the cutest girls I ever went to school with. Definitely better than the engineering classes I took.

4v50 Gary
January 23, 2003, 09:17 PM
Like yourself nsf003, I too am disappointed.

BTW, MadMan is right. Most gals in engineering aren't lookers.

Standing Wolf
January 23, 2003, 10:48 PM
A week or ten days after John Kennedy was assassinated, a fellow high school student brought his Mannlicher-Carcano to school for history class. The assistant principal stopped him in the front hall to verify the rifle was unloaded, and suggested he keep it in his locker until class rather than walk around with it all day.

He showed everyone the rifle during the class, demonstrated how it was shouldered, expressed his opinion that Oswald couldn't have fired all the shots himself, and passed the gun around the room.

No one was shot. No one was injured. All of us were awed.

Blackhawk
January 23, 2003, 11:14 PM
Excellent, nsf! :D

You will do well! :neener:

voilsb
January 24, 2003, 03:24 AM
sucks you didn't get to go today. I hope it goes well on monday. we really need to educate the masses on how gun's aren't evil djinn just waiting to flip out and kill people.

just curious, though ... why can't you give the speech on friday the 24th?

MLH
January 24, 2003, 11:49 AM
and good luck. Around here a butter knife will get you expelled!:banghead:

KP95DAO
January 24, 2003, 02:03 PM
I did it with a Win Model 37 in HS in 72 and it was "ho-hum." My eldest did it four years ago at OCU with my 1911 and it brought a more enlivened response. The Campus Police were cool with it and the Prof was woman who had shot since she was little. Kids at the campus were still talking about it two years later.

KMKeller
January 24, 2003, 03:01 PM
I remember in High School, I did a demonstration on knife sharpening that ended with my shaving the hair from the arm of a volunteer. For the rest of my High School years, I made money sharpening others knives for them.

BerettaNut92
January 24, 2003, 03:49 PM
For the rest of my High School years, I made money sharpening others knives for them.

At my high school, you have to give half your gross income from any money made on campus to the clowns in campus leadership.

In my fed law enforcement class, an ATF agent brought a semi-auto MP5 :rolleyes:, AR15, 870 and stuff to class.

The US Marshall the next week had to outdo him so brought even more. He was way more tactical than the ATF guy, too. Everyone thought it was cute when he said "I really like the MP5, you can do all sorts of stuff like this with it" shouldering it in a safe direction and maneuvering around the lectern :D

The Marshall's gun handling was really good, when he took out his guns, he made sure the chamber was open and empty and showed clear to his partner, while the ATF guy just took them out and laid them out.

blades67
January 24, 2003, 03:58 PM
He was way more tactical than the ATF guy, too.

My mom is way more tactical the the ATF.:D

larry_minn
January 24, 2003, 08:00 PM
Did that in High School as well. Took a 16 Guage shotgun, 30 06 Springfield 03 and had a friend bring a pistol. ALL ON SCHOOL BUS. Had permission and no problems.
I did this twice for different classes. At end of speech with single shot shotgun I closed action and looked at teacher (with gun still aimed at window and NO ammo anywhere) and asked . "SO do I get an A or does it get ugly" She laughed and said I had a A. :)

BerettaNut92
January 24, 2003, 08:59 PM
I was scared of guns in high school.

Guns are baaaaaaaad! Too much LA.

Hardtarget
January 25, 2003, 12:15 AM
This sounds like my speech class('68) Did a Ruger .22 field strip and reassembly for a demonstration speech. Principle checked with my dad, he delivered it to the school,principle kept the gun in his office'till class time. Since my class was last of the day, I did mine first then went home. None of the "children" were injured during this and I got a good grade(for a change):D
Mark

4v50 Gary
January 25, 2003, 12:21 AM
But Hardtarget, 1968 was before we became crime free thanks to Sarah. Sorry, but your presentation doesn't count.

DadOfThree
January 25, 2003, 12:34 AM
Skunk,
I was scared of guns in high school.
I guess you have come out of your shell a little since then. :D :D :D

thaddeus
January 25, 2003, 12:34 AM
I did the same in the 1990's. I am glad that it can still happen. I thought those days were over.

BerettaNut92
January 25, 2003, 10:43 AM
I guess you have come out of your shell a little since then.

Yes...I realized it's pretty hard to be tactical if you don't even have a gun!!! :D

nsf003
January 26, 2003, 03:05 PM
Voilsb, I couldn't do it Friday, had to work at a big wrestling tournament.

We got 4th.

nsf

voilsb
January 26, 2003, 06:44 PM
how many teams competed? since you said it was big, I'm guessing 4th was pretty dang good

congratulations

nsf003
January 26, 2003, 09:51 PM
22 teams competed. We were ahead of 3 teams that beat us earlier in the year because they won the toss and forfieted to our best kid.

nsf

voilsb
January 27, 2003, 03:55 AM
sweet, congratulations.

be sure and let us know how your presentation goes monday.

nsf003
January 27, 2003, 08:56 PM
I did my presentation today. I thought I did ok. Got a good looking girl to help me dissassemble the gun after I showed the class how to do it.:cool: Says she wants to come shooting with me.:cool: ;)

The only thing that went wrong was when I was going to check to see if it loaded and ejected(functionality). I used dummy rounds(no powder or primers). When I said I was going to check functionality, the teacher(a moron and non if not anti gunner) went crazy yelling at me saying "oh my God, he is going to shoot, he is using real bullets.".:banghead: It took me a while to calm her down and tell her that they had no powder. The whole class just looked at her with a "you're a moron" look. Most of the kids who heard about the whole thing thought that she was a moron. Lot of shooters in that class. Most of the kids were shooters or had shot handguns before.:)

nsf

voilsb
January 27, 2003, 09:40 PM
good job. I hope it went well. sounds pretty cool, really.

Blackhawk
January 27, 2003, 11:09 PM
I did my presentation today. I thought I did ok. Got a good looking girl to help me dissassemble the gun after I showed the class how to do it. Says she wants to come shooting with me. I'd say you did VERY well! :D

Also with the teacher.... After she dried herself off, I'll bet she did some reflecting on her ninnyness. Maybe she'll have a few nightmares to reinforce the lesson you gave her. :rolleyes:

Lars
January 27, 2003, 11:24 PM
Good job!:D
I hope my son can give a presentation like that when he gets into high school.

bogie
January 28, 2003, 10:50 AM
If you do this sorta thing again, make a few "guaranteed nonfunctional" snap caps - Seat a round in an empty piece of brass, with a filled primer pocket, and then drill a good-sized hole all the way through both sides of the case. That tends to impress folks that it really is a dud...

By the way - don't use duds for snap caps - just because it didn't go off once doesn't mean it won't ever go off...

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun presentation in school today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!