RIA 1911 jamming?

PDA

Horvath819
October 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
I just bought a used RIA 1911 .45 in good condition that included two magazines. For some reason the gun will jam a bullet or two every other magazine I put through it. What do you guys think is the problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "RIA 1911 jamming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yeti
October 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
You need to be more specific on exactly how it is jamming in order for anyone to even guess.

Start out trying the simplest fixes. Did you clean and lube it up? Does it always 'jam' with the same mag, or with either? Have you tried different mags?

Horvath819
October 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry, it jams with both mags one more than the other though. One mag is a Novak and it jams the most, the other is a Chip McCormick and doesn't do it as much. The gun will jam in between shots sometimes like the bullet isn't feeding right, the slide will get stuck and I have to eject the round. The mags could be pretty old because the gun isn't new. And yes gun has been thoroughly cleaned and oiled.

Horvath819
October 16, 2010, 09:07 PM
No suggestions??

Grim Peeper
October 16, 2010, 09:18 PM
clean the entire gun I mean a complete detail strip. I would focus also on the extractor. You have to take the firing pin stop out to fully clean it. Good luck!!!

gschoelles
October 16, 2010, 09:28 PM
I would polish the ramp on the barrel and examine the ears on the front of the magazine where it feeds out for unusual markings and indication of needed adjustment.

Zerodefect
October 16, 2010, 09:41 PM
Get a Tripp mag, then if it persists, polish the ramps gently. ( they don't have to shine, just be smooth.) Try a fresh recoil spring.

What oil are you useing? Is every slideing surface lubed?

Trouble shoot with Federal 230gn FMJ.

Good Luck.

Horvath819
October 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
All the contact points on the gun are lubed. I was putting Windchester 230gn fmj through it. Where can I get a Tripp mag and better recoil spring?

ol' scratch
October 16, 2010, 11:45 PM
Polish the feed ramp. If that doesn't work, get some Wilson Combat Mags. Mine was doing the same thing, but after I put a Wilson mag in it, it stoped jamming. I have no problems with it now.

Ridgerunner665
October 16, 2010, 11:50 PM
Which RIA? (specifically barrel length)

Horvath819
October 17, 2010, 04:57 PM
I will try a Wilson combat mag first. It is a RIA GI model with 5'' barrel.

Quack
October 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
Check the extractor tension first, then if that's OK try different mags.

Horvath819
October 17, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm kinda a noob when it comes to guns, how do I check the extractor clip?

Quack
October 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Mooseman
October 17, 2010, 07:12 PM
mine was giving me some headaches out of the box, sometimes failed to return to battery. Turned out the slide release was a tad out of spec. I bought a new one for about $15 and the problem was solved. Not saying this is your problem, try and figure out where the gun is getting hung up. Also mine didn't like the factory mag but seems to like wilson 47d mags a lot.

ranger335v
October 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
"The gun will jam in between shots sometimes like the bullet isn't feeding right,.."

Well, fact is we'd like to help but we can't see it and that's not much of a description. With a jam, it certainly isn't feeding right but how and where is it jamming? And, by "bullet" do you mean the bullet? Or cartridge?

Where does it hang; does the slide over-ride the cartridge without fully picking it up? Or do cartridges pop out of the magazine too early? Or do they jam when the bullet hits the feed ramp? Does the cartridge pop up at too high an angle and hit the top of the chamber, or tilt to one side or the other? Does it enter the chamber at all? Does it enter the chamber but won't allow the slide to go into battery? All that matters!

And, are you shooting factory cartridges or reloads? What type/shape bullet; FMJ, jacketed flat or hollow point, lead round nose or semi-wad cutter? That matters too!

Don't know how barrel length figgers into a feeding problem tho. :confused:

Horvath819
October 17, 2010, 10:05 PM
When it jams it seems like the round is getting stuck along the feed ramp and keeping the slide slightly stuck back. I have to eject the round because it doesn't fully feed into the chamber, kinda gets stuck halfway and jams the slide. The cartriges I've tried are Independence FMJ and Winchester FMJ and both would jam. Some mags will go smoothly and not miss a beat and then some would have like 2 or 3 rounds jam.

Cowboy2
October 17, 2010, 11:21 PM
I've had a few RIA's, and they've all been fantastic. That said, the factory recoil springs were weak. I am a firm believer in trying the cheap, non-invasive options first. Before you start any garage gunsmith projects, or start spending a lot of money, it might be wise to buy a new recoil spring. Or if you have another 1911, swap the springs out and give her a whirl.

Horvath819
October 18, 2010, 12:27 AM
I want to get a new recoil spring as well as a magazine, where can I find a new recoil spring for my gun?

railroader
October 18, 2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV%27T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1 Factory springs are 16lb. Mark

Horvath819
October 18, 2010, 12:45 AM
Would you recommend staying with the standard 16lb or go stronger?

mesinge2
October 18, 2010, 10:12 AM
IMHO, these are the two best magazines on the market:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=783573
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=720215

And these are great springs, I have never had a issue using these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=443973

Horvath819
October 18, 2010, 10:53 AM
awesome thanks man I will try a mag and recoil spring and report back.

Cowboy2
October 18, 2010, 11:24 AM
I've never had a 1911 that didn't shoot fine with both 16 and 18lb springs. Just my experience, though.

Horvath819
October 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
I just ordered a Wilson Combat elite mag and a Wolff 18.5lb recoil spring so we'll see what happens.

mesinge2
October 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
I just ordered a Wilson Combat elite mag and a Wolff 18.5lb recoil spring so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully this it the only problem and a quick and easy fix.

If you enjoyed reading about "RIA 1911 jamming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!