Beretta or Sig?

PDA

m500'92
October 18, 2010, 03:51 PM
Okay so I was set on getting a Sig P226, but now I'm considering the Beretta 92FS instead. I plan on buying it to also have the .22 conversion kit so I can practice with the same gun. So, which of the .22 conversions is a more accurate and reliable pistol. I know the Sig has MIM parts, does the Beretta? Which is the better pistol and why? Any other advice would be helpful. The prices are very comparable here in Canada with the Sig possibly being a little cheaper so that's not an issue. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta or Sig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longhair75
October 18, 2010, 04:08 PM
I admit that I have not really done much research on the SIG, but I really like my Beretta M9. It was very accurate right out of the box. I looked at the .22 conversion for it but for the money, I am thinking of a Ruger 45-22.

denfoote
October 18, 2010, 04:27 PM
Sigs: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Get the Beretta!!! :D

sprice
October 18, 2010, 04:31 PM
It's about even but I think you would be happier with the sig

REAPER4206969
October 18, 2010, 04:43 PM
Beretta.

I thought the military trials put this debate to rest twenty five years ago?

Arthur2001
October 18, 2010, 04:45 PM
If you are looking for;
-Smoother trigger out of box,
-a real decocker (instead of a synthetic hammer lowering safety lever),
-a slide which s user friendly on panic situations,
-a purified slide from any unecessary levers (i.e. safety lever)
-Covered barrel

go fora Sig p 226

Cheers,

Prion
October 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
Beretta?:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Get a Sig!:D:

:neener:

Airborne Falcon
October 18, 2010, 04:59 PM
I've got both. A couple two or three of each actually. Was even on the ACE board in Vicenza with the 509th that went to Brescia to shoot the 92s before they were officially adopted and replaced the 1911s ... it was what we called the tweaking phase.

They are both fine fine pistols.

You need a little bit bigger hands to comfortably handle the M9, which I have, so it fits me just fine.

It's just darn hard to beat a good SIG, but at the same time you are going to expect to pay between 15% - 25% more for a comparable SIG.

I'd shoot both of them were I you and then decide which one fits you better.

I personally carry a DAK SAS P229 in 357 SIG every day of the week.

docnyt
October 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
I had the same dilemma last year. I ended up getting the SIG 226 Blackwater first then the M9 later. The edge goes to the SIG for me in terms of ergonomics, accuracy and round count (20 versus 18 max). Both are great shooting and reliable guns. I don't have the .22 conversions (yet) for either so I can't comment on those. If I were to buy the Beretta again I would probably get an Inox version. You really can't go wrong with either.

Prion
October 18, 2010, 05:57 PM
I thought the military trials put this debate to rest twenty five years ago?

The military trials proved both are solid pistols and the Beretta is cheaper.

Cost not being a consideration for SEALS they went with the P226.

That is my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong as I am no expert on the subject.

m500'92
October 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
It would be an italian 92 if that makes a difference, do they still have the plastic parts?

Airborne Falcon
October 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
I should have included that I have the official factory SIG 22LR conversion for the P226 and it works fine. A little pricey, I got it from Sportsman's Warehouse on sale for like $329.00 if I remember correctly. But it works, other than the 10 rd mag sucks, in terms of practice. Use the hottest 22LR you can get your hands on.

Also, there are 20 round mags for each available these days ... heck, you can get 30 and 40 rounders for the M9, just use the ones made for the CX 4 Storm (which, by the way, is a plus for the M9/92FS if you ever intend to pair it with a carbine and interchange magazines). I do shoot 20 rounders in the P226, OEM 20 rounders that I picked up several months ago on sale from Cabelas at $39.95 ea. But MecGar makes the best mags for both of them without having to pay for the factory stamps on either - except when you stumble across a sale as I did.

One of mine is a Blackwater edition .... it is an unnecessary expense imho and I was just about to type, when I saw it mentioned, that I do not like rails on my sidearms, but to each his own. The Blackwater also comes with extra mags, but again, you can find mags at good deals if you look around. And while I am big on 20 rounders, they do add extra weight and length to the pistol grip - so the 15 rounders are more than fine for 99% of the shooting/carrying public imho.

My favorite Beretta is a 1985 Italian made model that I own - but I never shoot. The one I shoot the most is an INOX, and I like it a lot. It's my travel bag piece when the wife and kids and I hit the road.

1KPerDay
October 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
I have both. If I had to pick one it would be the SIG hands down. I shoot both reasonably well, but I'm not a fan of the slide-mounted safety/decocker on the Beretta. It's also quite large through the grip. Not an issue at the range, but if you plan to carry it, it might be.

Caveat: my P226 is a stamped-slide, made in Germany model. I haven't shot any of the new ones.

The Beretta is a lovely pistol, though... and the buttery smooth action when you rack the slide is quite nice. :cool:

Jed Carter
October 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
Actually I bought both, Prefer the SIG, but really like them both. Not one problem with either one, however my G34 Glock will shoot circles around both. Beretta is possibly the nicest looking pistol ever and works as good as it looks. The SIG is pure ugly weapon, it will work no matter what the conditions (maybe not underwater), it is as dependable as it is ugly. Nitron finish is very durable, I would get it with the night sights.

REAPER4206969
October 19, 2010, 02:18 AM

That is my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong as I am no expert on the subject.

SIG bid $176.33 for the P226 and Beretta bid $178.50 for the 92SB-f.

(Source:The complete encyclopedia of pistols and revolvers by A.E. Hartink pg.41.)

m500'92
October 19, 2010, 03:27 PM
The Sigs on it's way

bc1023
October 19, 2010, 03:34 PM
Beretta for me.

I have no desire to own a new Exeter Sig at all.

Prion
October 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
Beretta held a distinct advantage over SIG when bid ding was opened: It already had a fully functioning small arms factory operating in the United States. Despite this advantage, however, SIG underbid Beretta by $9 mil lion for the costs of providing the pistols, magazines and spare parts kits. But rather than accepting the SIG bid, the Army contacted each manufacturer and provided more information on performance and cost require ments related to the firearms and bidding. In the second round of bidding, Beretta underbid SIG by $3 million and received the contract for 315,930 Model 92SB-F pistols

Beretta was in fact cheaper and both pistols passed the trials with Sig posting a slightly higher score.

I have no intention of slamming Beretta, they are great guns, the trials don't prove it superior to the Sig, however

Speaking of military procurements Reaper, I have a $2000 toilet seat and some sweet galvanized bolts I will part with for $200 a pop. Let me know, the US Gov is always right!

rellascout
October 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
I own both but prefer the Sig. Its all about which one fits better in your hand. It is all about which one points naturally and which one do you shoot better. These factors should receive more consideration than what some fan boy from the internet says.

:cool:

Prion
October 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
The Sigs on it's way

Proof people don't read threads before posting.

Next time, read a little.

postalnut25
October 19, 2010, 06:04 PM
Even though the OP picked his pistol already, I thought I'd chime in.

As the proud owner of a 92fs and a P226 Navy, I would go with--neither!

Both are fine pistols. Both are far down on the list of 9mm pistols that I choose to use. The M&P9 Pro is the top choice.

For the sake of the poll, though, I went with the Beretta.

DenaliPark
October 19, 2010, 06:24 PM
I love Beretta pistols, however I own both the Italian produced 92FS, and the Sig P226, both are IMO on the very short list of the very best combat sidearms currently available in any caliber.

Ergonomically these pistols are quite competitive with one another, it will of course come down to the size of the individual hand as to which seats itself the best in that hand, regardless, both are chunky in the grip, the big hit on the M9 is the slide mounted safety-decocker, the Sig's is frame mounted.

I believe the Beretta barrel to be superior to that of the Sig, and I also feel the Beretta is a bit more accurate, in fact I have other 9mm pistols that also outshoot the Sig. The Sig has a better trigger then the 92 in both DA & SA, and also comes equipped with better factory sights and superior magazines(Mec-Gar).

I've never seen the data that supports the contention that the P226 ever matched the reliability of the M9 in service trials, I'm not saying it hasn't, or can't, just that it's a very tall order to match the performance of the open top slide of the Beretta, keep in mind that the SEAL teams were firing many thousands of rounds through their M9 pistols per week before they encountered the infamous slide failures(3 in total correct me if I'm wrong).

The M9 has 69 parts, the Sig 55! If Uncle Sam ordered me to carry one or the other as a duty weapon, I would not be whining about it.....

rellascout
October 19, 2010, 06:25 PM
Proof people don't read threads before posting.

Next time, read a little.

Just because the OP has chosen does not invalidate someones post. I found postalnut25's post very on point.

A lot more on point than arguing that the Navy pistol trials proved anything more than Beretta was better at Govt contracting and all that entails than Sig was at the time.

rellascout
October 19, 2010, 06:27 PM
I love Beretta pistols, however I own both the Italian produced 92FS, and the Sig P226, both are IMO on the very short list of the very best combat sidearms currently available in any caliber.

Ergonomically these pistols are quite competitive with one another, it will of course come down to the size of the individual hand as to which seats itself the best in that hand, regardless, both are chunky in the grip, the big hit on the M9 is the slide mounted safety-decocker, the Sig's is frame mounted.

I believe the Beretta barrel to be superior to that of the Sig, and I also feel the Beretta is a bit more accurate, in fact I have other 9mm pistols that also outshoot the Sig. The Sig has a better trigger then the 92 in both DA & SA, and also comes equipped with better factory sights and superior magazines(Mec-Gar).

I've never seen the data that supports the contention that the P226 ever matched the reliability of the M9 in service trials, I'm not saying it hasn't, or can't, just that it's a very tall order to match the performance of the open top slide of the Beretta, keep in mind that the SEAL teams were firing many thousands of rounds through their M9 pistols per week before they encountered the infamous slide failures(3 in total correct me if I'm wrong).

The M9 has 69 parts, the Sig 55! If Uncle Sam ordered me to carry one or the other as a duty weapon, I would not be whining about it.....

Well stated!

Full Metal Jacket
October 19, 2010, 07:57 PM
not a fan of either one :evil:

ruger1228
October 19, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'd go for the Beretta unless the Sig is an older German made gun. Sigs made in Exeter are poor quality and the customer service is deplorable. My Beretta 92FS is Italian made and shoots like a champ. One of the most accurate pistols I have.

Shipwreck
October 19, 2010, 08:33 PM
Gotta be Beretta :D

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Beretta-set1.jpg

md7
October 19, 2010, 11:29 PM
nice collection there shipwreck!

how do you feel about berettas px4 lineup?

Utahusker
October 19, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'd go for the Beretta unless the Sig is an older German made gun. Sigs made in Exeter are poor quality and the customer service is deplorable. My Beretta 92FS is Italian made and shoots like a champ. One of the most accurate pistols I have.

Do you have actual experience with new Sigs to back that up?

Dionysusigma
October 19, 2010, 11:46 PM
I had the same dilemma as well. My solution was to buy both--I still have both of them, and I can't pick a favorite between the two. Both are accurate, both have held up well, both are comfortable, neither have failed...

The only difference that I can think of would be (as mentioned above) the operating systems, and the number of pieces/techniques involved in a full detail strip. The Sig wins on that one.

Shipwreck
October 20, 2010, 07:23 AM
nice collection there shipwreck!

how do you feel about berettas px4 lineup?

Thanks - I have owned one before, and shot several. They are nice - but I still prefer the grip of the 92FS the best.

the PX4 in 40 cal was my fav 40 cal handgun I have ever shot. But, I always wished they would make a small thumb indentation on the side, like Glock has. The 1 improvement I'd make to the gun.

ruger1228
October 20, 2010, 08:31 PM
Do you have actual experience with new Sigs to back that up?
Yes I do. I purchased a new Sig P238 made in Exeter. It was nothing but trouble from day 1. I experience FTF, FTE, Stovepiped cases. Called Sig CS; They said I needed a new recoil spring even though I had only fired about 150 rounds. Sig CS said this would solve the problem. Installed the new recoil spring, continued to have the same problems, along with parallel jams. Sent the gun back to Sig. They had it 10 days, sent me a form letter of what they had corrected and said they test fired with no problems. 1st magazine had FTE and 4 stove piped cases. Right back to Sig. Their customer service is deplorable and quality of their pistols is not equal to the old guns made in Germany.
I bought a Beretta 87FS and Bertta 92FS and both these guns have almost 1000 rounds through them and I have never had so much as a hiccup with either gun. They are top quality firearms. I will never purchase another Sig firearm.

Utahusker
October 20, 2010, 10:22 PM
All my Sigs, old and new have been flawless. I've never called their cs so I have no experience there. The p238 isn't really a Sig design (Colt), but that's no excuse for them to malfunction. The P230 and P232 on the other hand are excellent performing .380's.

That's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with your Sig experience, but I don't think that's the norm.

carbuncle
October 21, 2010, 02:06 AM
I love the 92, the models I've shot were very accurate and pleasant to shoot. definitely on my list!

Bonesinium
October 21, 2010, 08:03 AM
I originally had no real desire for a Beretta until recently, I guess just because I wanted something different then what I carry at work. But now, I've caught the gun bug. The M9 just feels so nice.

I also kind of want a Sig. One of the reasons, as dumb as it really is, is because I think it would be neat to see my hometown on the side of the gun. I can't even believe that until recently I didn't even know they made Sig's in Exeter.

Fishman777
October 21, 2010, 10:22 AM
I like the Beretta better than the Sig.

ForumSurfer
October 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
I owned a beretta96fs and regret ever selling it. I could shoot with it accurately out to 50+ yards all day long.

That said, both feel completely different to me. I'd recommend range rentals or find a range friend online and shoot each before you buy. The two feel differently enough in my hand that I would imagine one would feel much better than the other.

Either one is a great choice.

potentpoefie
October 21, 2010, 01:58 PM

Cost not being a consideration for SEALS they went with the P226.

Sig fans all around the world use/like to believe that. I was one of them loving both the Sig and the Beretta. However besides the costing issue there was also found that the Sig frames did cracked. One of the Sig M9 trial pistols suffered a crack after firing 6523 and another at at the 7000 round mark of the required 7000 rounds. However since both pistols were above the 5000 round mark they were accepted.

However this just proves there was more than just price involved in this issue. They were cracking during the endurance test.

So sorry the 92 wins out here.

DenaliPark
October 21, 2010, 02:40 PM
^^^The Sig 226 is catalogued by DoD as the M11....

potentpoefie
October 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
Nope that M11 is the Sig P228.

Well that's in the Military in any case.

wojownik
October 21, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hope the OP can post some pics of the Sig he decided on, when it arrives...

DenaliPark
October 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
Nope that M11 is the Sig P228.

Well that's in the Military in any case.
Corrected, my bad! :)

potentpoefie
October 21, 2010, 05:30 PM
no worries.
it just happens that being a collector i've done some research on the topic and decided i need both the M9 and the M11.

Why choose if you can have both. :)

Texsun
October 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
all the forementioned gobbledy gook aside, the Sig is better looking.

potentpoefie
October 22, 2010, 03:32 AM
The Sig has some nice lines. I cannot deny that. However the Italian styling cannot be beaten when it comes to looks.

Why do you think Hollywood loves it so much? It's because it's beautiful and it stands out in crowd. The Sig (as good looking as it is) could just be another pistol. Square here and there and not much else.

You put somebody that doesn't know a lot about guns in front of a display case and ask them to find the Beretta they will. ;)

Prion
October 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
I think this poll accurately reflects the quality of the two pistols.

Too close to call, both being excellent sidearms in their own right.

Neither can be called superior with any objective certainty.

jeepguy
October 22, 2010, 06:58 PM
i have a sig 226 .40 & a beretta 92 fs and love them both. they are both accurate & 100% reliable for me. i just put money down on a sig 229 9mm. it would be too hard to pick one. if you are thinking about carrying with it at some point i would think about the 229. for me the 226 & 92 fs are too big to carry although some people do.

Ala Dan
October 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
sig p226

DenaliPark
October 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
all the forementioned gobbledy gook aside, the Sig is better looking.
Then the 92FS? Beretta's are iconic works of art, Sigs, well Sigs are just this side of a Ruger P-89/90 in the looks department....

MidwestRookie
October 22, 2010, 11:13 PM
beretta for me...but this picture sums it up nicely..(courtesy of boink)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5065569265_9e1d4c652c_b.jpg

Erik M
October 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
Beretta, because nutnfancy endorses sigs.

millertyme
October 23, 2010, 06:00 PM
I picked Beretta, but I would save a couple hundos and get a CZ.

DonRon
October 23, 2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I would not buy either one either.:neener:

Welding Rod
October 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
Those are two of the best sidearms ever built. My answer of course is "both".

I voted for the Berretta as it was behind by 2 in the poll, but really I could be totally happy with a good specimen of either.

Utahusker
October 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
Great logic.

Full Metal Jacket
October 23, 2010, 09:45 PM
beretta: because that's what die hard and lethal weapon use! :eek:

m500'92
October 23, 2010, 09:49 PM

... Hitler used a Walther

cookekdjr
October 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
Shot both. The p226 is far more accurate in my hands. Its like a laser.

Nar
October 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'd have to say get the sig, I have 2 sigs and love them, they are very well made and as long as you treat them well you shouldn't get a problem, and some will point out the military M9 thing, but they do also use the Sig 228 so it means nothing both are good but in my opinion. My advice would be to look at both, and get a feel for them, where all the levers and buttons are and how it fits your hand, then go with the one that feels right.

sigbear
October 24, 2010, 09:26 AM
I bought a new Beretta 92FS, had it for a year and traded it for a new Sig 226 and never looked back.

Both my Sig 226 and Beretta 92FS were 100% reliable but for "me" the Sig is more accurate.

Sigbear

ScottM
October 25, 2010, 11:24 AM
...because for "me" I don't like either!

A small explanation if you will...

When I was about 5 years old a bicycle accident left me without approximately 2/3 of the first digit of my right index finger, what is left is mostly scar tissue. I have always had a problem with trigger reach on double stack guns. I owned a 92FS and loved it, but alas could never shoot very accurately in DA. I shot a P226 and encountered the same problem.

Having said that I carry and shoot regularly single stack Sigs (P225 & P220), the P220 was my duty gun back in the days of LE. IMHO, Sig is the finest pistol I have ever shot for out of the box reliability & accuracy.

Now, if I ever came across one of the rare (or at least hard to find) single stack Berettas, I would not hesitate because I hold them in very high esteem as well.

BTW...as you can tell, I am new here...and I like what I see!!!

Lonestar49
October 25, 2010, 11:58 AM

Either gun is a winner in my experience having both but -

IF you're interested in Warranty CS, satisfaction, and time covered then -

God help you if you have a Beretta warranty problem:

1. You, the customer, must pay the 60 bucks to send the/your warranty gun back to BUSA via UPS or Fed Ex next day air..

2. Expect a min, if lucky, of a long 3 weeks just shy of 1 month or longer, in many cases..

2a.. This, with a limited 2 or 3 yr warranty only

3. If you have a question or have to call their CS dept.. Be rdy to be on hold for a long time, then when someone does finally come on the line, be rdy for someone feeling almost as negative about the day as you..

3.a If you need any parts, don't call Beretta, you'll need to call the more expensive, IIRC, Brownells parts supplier as they now do all of Beretta's parts business as BUSA no longer supplies its own parts direct.. as their CS is overwhelmed as is, and as I said, you'll find out if you try and make a call to BUSA

With Sig: When you call their CS, you'll get someone that is respectful and happy with their job.

They will send you a UPS shipping label to send your warranty gun back to them on their dime, the way it should be.

If you need CS and parts or questions, be prepared to be satisfied, like you count as a customer..

If you need parts, they have them there, unlike Beretta now..

Your gun is basically warranted for life

Other than that, 2 of the best guns in both trigger pulls and accuracy out of the box

Luck,

Ls

ruger1228
October 25, 2010, 06:37 PM

Either gun is a winner in my experience having both but -

IF you're interested in Warranty CS, satisfaction, and time covered then -

God help you if you have a Beretta warranty problem:

1. You, the customer, must pay the 60 bucks to send the/your warranty gun back to BUSA via UPS or Fed Ex next day air..

2. Expect a min, if lucky, of a long 3 weeks just shy of 1 month or longer, in many cases..

2a.. This, with a limited 2 or 3 yr warranty only

3. If you have a question or have to call their CS dept.. Be rdy to be on hold for a long time, then when someone does finally come on the line, be rdy for someone feeling almost as negative about the day as you..

3.a If you need any parts, don't call Beretta, you'll need to call the more expensive, IIRC, Brownells parts supplier as they now do all of Beretta's parts business as BUSA no longer supplies its own parts direct.. as their CS is overwhelmed as is, and as I said, you'll find out if you try and make a call to BUSA

With Sig: When you call their CS, you'll get someone that is respectful and happy with their job.

They will send you a UPS shipping label to send your warranty gun back to them on their dime, the way it should be.

If you need CS and parts or questions, be prepared to be satisfied, like you count as a customer..

If you need parts, they have them there, unlike Beretta now..

Your gun is basically warranted for life

Other than that, 2 of the best guns in both trigger pulls and accuracy out of the box

Luck,

Ls
You must deal with a DIFFERENT Sig CS than I had to deal with. Because when I dealt with Sig CS I experienced everything you described about Beretta's CS except I do agree that Sig did send a prepaid mailing label.

PO2Hammer
October 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Beretta doesn't use MIM, they use plastic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta or Sig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!