Ruger Rattle

PDA

Brass Rain
October 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
My dad picked up a new Ruger GP-100 today, and it seems to be a great gun. Locks up extremely solid and the single-action trigger pull is amazing. But when wobbling the gun in your hand side to side, or tipping it up or down, there's a little rattle--like something's moving around inside. Everything seems to function perfectly and there was an included fired cartridge proving it works, but it still feels wrong. It's a small rattle, but noticeable cocker or uncocked, cylinder open or closed. Is this okay? If not, what could be causing it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Rattle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cyclopsshooter
October 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
normal as the sproing from an ar

KevinB
October 18, 2010, 05:09 PM
This is common to the GP and SP101 series revolvers. Some of the rattle that you hear is the transfer bar, and you're likely to get several other responses stating this. In my case however I find the majority of the rattle is coming from the ejector rod on my SP101, it all but stops when this part is held in place. Either way it's normal for this revolver. Enjoy that GP100, I'm planning to get one myself very soon. Stay safe.

Brass Rain
October 18, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, thanks guys. I did a simple Google search (should have been obvious to try that first) and found several links to people mentioning and explaining this. Good to know, lesson learned. Sorry to clutter the forum.

Rexster
October 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
A Ruger DA revolver that does not rattle is missing its transfer bar. I bet your dad's gun is just fine.

CraigC
October 19, 2010, 02:02 PM
Agreed, it's probably the transfer bar.

32 Magnum
October 19, 2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, same here. Transfer bar rattle, very common with Rugers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Rattle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!