Which one is the better deal?

PDA

Jbabbler
October 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
Just saw that Centerfire Systems has their Springfield 1911's priced pretty nice right now.

EMP 40 cal $842
4" GI Champ $491
4" Champion $685

Which one is the better deal?

I'm thinking that I'll grab one of the EMPs if they still have them on Friday. (Please buy them all so that I won't) :supergrin:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/springfield.aspx

If you enjoyed reading about "Which one is the better deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lonestar49
October 19, 2010, 02:53 PM

I've got an EMP 9mm and have found no weakness in the 9mm platform - be it one handed or weak hand or weak grip, it continues to fire.

And her favorite food is the 124gr JHP's or FMJ.. But they have very tight chambers and I have found, even with a well earned, high round count, that she won't accept any 135gr or 147gr JHP's nor re-loads, only new, good ammo and 124gr max which is fine by me. Not all of them are like this, but some are fyi.

This thru some 6500 rounds thus far and is my little tack-driver and best, most natural, point and shoot gun out of my small herd..

Pure joy, but a friend of mine, after many PM's back and forth about my EMP and in 9mm vs 40cal, he got the 40cal.. Loved it at first but the joy soon went south as he put it up for sale at a small loss and PM'd me that he just couldn't find "the handle" on it (recoil) one handed or 2 handed grip and quick follow-up shots could not find any consistent accuracy in the 40cal version.

He's a lot younger than me and my hands and wrist are paying the price of desert motorcycle racing, snow skiing, etc., of days past so, coming from him, as I warned him, I will give you his warning: "great, dependable, gun, but a handful, and not one he considered fun nor accurate be it one handed or weak handed" - and he got a 9mm EMP and is now a full time happy camper and agreed with me that it was a "huge difference" of 7+1 40cal, and a/the handful, vs 9+1 9mm's on-going forgiveness in all matters of accuracy and those important, quick, follow-up shots with dependable accuracy and performance as I described mine to him, way back when..

OMMV,

Luck,

Ls

Ps.. I'd strongly recommend either 4" 45cal over the EMP 40cal as well if 9mm is not a flavor you enjoy/like/trust.

Jbabbler
October 19, 2010, 03:02 PM
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I currently carry a PM40/CW40 hybrid and can manage the grip just fine so I'm guessing the recoil on the EMP40 should be manageable. I have shot a Springfield Micro 45 and Micro 40 and found them to be easy to control but I know the EMP is smaller. I wish I could find one o rent....

Lonestar49
October 19, 2010, 03:14 PM

That may nullify my thoughts since it is the size and round of the 40 I was speaking too and with your positive experience with the PM40/CW40 hybrid, and you have no problems with it, other than, yea, if only one could find an EMP 40 to rent/shoot, I'd say my concerns about small gun but with full grip, that an EMP 40 may, well, fit your wants/needs "in style"

Just so ya know, when he sold it LNIB with, IIRC, under 800 rounds, he only lost 200 bucks, as he was in a hurry to get the 9mm version..

So either way it goes for ya, you won't lose much, if at all..

Ls

Ps.. IF the size of grips/guns (in 40) are close and in "weight" and I'm thinking the EMP weighs a bit more (a good thing) you should be fine with one.. I would think

If you enjoyed reading about "Which one is the better deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!