Newly aquired CZ82

PDA

erazor55
October 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
How much wear would you expect from a dealer that describes "These are nice guns that will have minor finish wear"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Newly aquired CZ82" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
harmon rabb
October 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
A bit to absolutely none. Mine came looking like it had never been touched by human hands, and had been lovingly placed in protective material after it was made. :lol:

leadcounsel
October 19, 2010, 04:55 PM
I've had 'em range from well worn to nearly new for the metal frames and plastic grips.

Wishoot
October 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Everything from used & abused to almost new. Even the used and abused work like a charm though.

rellascout
October 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
As others have stated under that description you can have everything from it was dragged behind a truck, but still fires great, to its LNIB.

We might be able to tell you more if you told us the dealer who gave you the description. One man's VG is another man's AVG.

The biggest factor to the CZ82 IMHO is that the original finish was weak so they show wear more than other pistols. They however are fantastic shooters. Enjoy.

erazor55
October 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
I was hesitant to state where I purchased until I heard more from you all. It's my first gun purchase from AIM. I've bought ammo from them and was just as advertised. They have shipped on time and without incident.

I have purchased a couple of Yugo Toks from J&G and they are almost like new. Everything I read from others said I should expect minor wear from a CZ82 from AIM.

I've tried to upload a couple of pictures. First time, we'll see if it works.

General Tso
October 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
That's pretty rough IMO.

Shadow 7D
October 19, 2010, 08:57 PM
break it down (field strip, really easy) and show us the insides

Then I'll comment, some PAINT worn off, if you really feel that bad, paint it with BBQ paint or testers enamel, and all fixed....

erazor55
October 19, 2010, 09:01 PM
The bore looks as shiny as you'd expect - for a polygonal bore. They do strip easier than I thought. Some video on youtube makes it look harder than it really is.

I've matured to the point where minor finish blemishes aren't a concern, if the (used) gun shoots as good as everyone says. I was just surprised.

I'll get over it, maybe buy another and figure out how to disassemble and give my best shot at refinishing.

I appreciate the comments guys, thanks.

il_10
October 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
Dis-assembly's not a big deal; it's getting the automatic safety back together that'll give you problems.
But they look pretty parked. A bit of flat black spray will take some of that gloss off of the grips, too. Congrats on a great purchase, I'm predicting love at first shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/il_10/Picture024.jpg

Wishoot
October 19, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have two. One looked like it was barely used and the other was pretty battered. I ended up stripping all of the paint off of the battered one and just left the stainless. It actually looks pretty good, but there's not a lot of protection from rust. Doesn't matter, it shoots like a dream.

erazor55
October 19, 2010, 10:21 PM
il 10, just a little paint and they look like the one pictured? That's cool.

Even when I pulled the gun out of the shipping box yesterday, I thought, oh man this sucker is rough. Then I pulled back on the trigger, and couldn't believe how smooth the double action was.

I'm sure it'll be love at first shot. Got a cheap loader from Cheaperthandirt!. It works great loading all 12.

Shadow 7D
October 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
DON'T TAKE IT APART
listen, CZUSA only charges $70 to put your bag gun back together, the sear spings other leg is on the hammer safety, really simple, except when you reassemble it, IT IS CRITICAL TO PROPERLY PLACE THE SPRING'S LEG

And it only took me 5 tries and 6 hours to get it right, if you don't, you have all the fun of a gun that may or may not reset, go auto or just decide not to fire.

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2009/01/ca-82-gunsmithing-part-10.html

Great tutorial if you do decide to do it, but read up on how to get that spring in right first. Oh the GunKote, came out awesome, it was even worth it in the end, but my wife was about to kick me out in the cold when I was trying to get it back together.

usp9
October 19, 2010, 10:42 PM
One of mine looked like it lost a fight with a hay baler. Another looked pretty good. Luck of the draw.

il_10
October 20, 2010, 12:27 AM
Yep, the gun is parkerized (manganese phosphate from brownells, easy easy job),
but the grips are stock with a couple hits of krylon textured flat black. Took 20 minutes.

The site Shadow 7D posted is a great resource for these guns; disassembly, assembly, and parkerizing. The guide that got me through the auto safety is here:
http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz-82-disassembly.html

harmon rabb
October 20, 2010, 07:14 AM
erazor, that just looks like it was carried a lot. like most LEO weapons, it was probably barely shot.

that's definitely a candidate for a refinishing though. lol.

agtman
October 20, 2010, 08:43 PM
Mine's a tack-driver with virtually any crappy, surplus (former) commie ammo fed it. Picked up six mags for it and they all fit, feed and eject without a hitch.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ5.jpg

You can shoot this little blaster all day long. (Shown with matching factory lanyard ... :eek: )

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ1.jpg

Since I didn't like the peeling, east-bloc commie factory paint, it was an easy decision ...

Paint it in some other flavor, ... like Multi-Cam (i.e., ODG + FDE). Re-did the factory grips in matte black.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ6.jpg

Touched up the sights too, front & rear, in contrasting colors.
Imagine that: fixed sights on a commie gun that you can see and hit POA with. :rolleyes:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ3.jpg

It's true: in surplus pistols, you can do a lot worse than a CZ 82 M&P in 9mmMak.

:cool:

Shadow 7D
October 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Mags are also an issue, you can get new mags, But CZUSA doesn't import the 9mak, and the 380 will work, but the feed lips are different, many feed problems are from improper mags.

BTW great refinish, you can get new grips from CZusa but you have to wait.

usp9
October 21, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the .380 and 9mm Mak mags are the same. I never had any feed problems using Mak mags in a .380.

il_10
October 21, 2010, 12:31 AM
Neither have I, all but one of my mags came straight from CZ usa.

Shadow 7D
October 21, 2010, 02:04 AM
I heard, but I use the stock mags, that the .380 got redesigned to feed mak, but that some of the older mags have tighter?? feedlips and that causes problems, either that or it was an angle thing.

harmon rabb
October 21, 2010, 07:22 AM
Mine's a tack-driver with virtually any crappy, surplus (former) commie ammo fed it. Picked up six mags for it and they all fit, feed and eject without a hitch.

Where can you even find 9x18 surplus ammo? All I can find is new steel cased stuff, all of which my cz-82 eats just fine. I don't think it's ever fired a round of brass cased ammo, well, other than the Buffalo Bore stuff I carry in it.

GLOOB
October 21, 2010, 08:01 AM
I'm thinking about getting one. The first thing I'd do is to strip and parkerize it, regardless of the condition of the original paint job. Don't worry. The paint was going to chip off, eventually.

Fastcast
October 21, 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking about getting one. The first thing I'd do is to strip and parkerize it, regardless of the condition of the original paint job. Don't worry. The paint was going to chip off, eventually.

Go for it!.....I don't think you'd be disappointed.....The 82 is a hearty pistol with great ergos, a fantastic trigger, good sights, utterly reliable and an absolute tack driver!

You can't go wrong, getting all this for $225!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/fastcast/CZ82.jpg

harmon rabb
October 21, 2010, 08:46 AM
know what's funny? that duty holster actually works really well.

DonRon
October 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
What you think only Americans make good firearms! Don't be so cavalier and narrow minded. The Makarov is still in service in many parts of the world to this very day. The AK47 is still very much in demand as well. Then there is the Austrian Glock:D

Fastcast
October 21, 2010, 09:31 AM
know what's funny? that duty holster actually works really well.

No doubt.....For open carry it's great! Not so much so for concealment but I do use the mag holster concealed. That's some seriously heavy duty leather work isn't it?.....I don't think you could wear that holster out in 3 life times. lol :)

harmon rabb
October 21, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah that leather is definitely made to last. :D I don't think you could wear it out no matter what you did.

dovedescending
October 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
@Shadow 7D, I'm curious to know how one would go about using the BBQ Paint or Tester's Enamel to touch up the original black finish. Any recommended brands? Technique? Dire warnings of peril?

agtman
October 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
Where can you even find 9x18 surplus ammo? All I can find is new steel cased stuff, all of which my cz-82 eats just fine. I don't think it's ever fired a round of brass cased ammo, well, other than the Buffalo Bore stuff I carry in it.

harmon rabb:

Years ago when it was still coming in, a friend and I bought two 1000-rd cases of Russian 9mm Mak ammo. We both had Makarov pistols, mine is an E.G., his was a Russian or Bulgy, can't recall.

I still have about half of that case and the CZ 82 loves it. In fact, I don't even shoot the E.G. Mak anymore. I treated it as a collector. The Russian FMJ stuff is what the one mag is loaded with in the first pic in my initial post.

Later, I picked about 500rds of something surplus that was still around on a table at a funshow (Chinese, I think) and shot that up in the CZ. Again, this was a few years back. I also reload the 9mm Mak, which saves on burning through the surplus.

What I'd really love to get are a couple of cases of Czech-made 9mmMak ammo, as it is claimed to be the hottest Mak load produced in Europe (whether military or commercial), supposedly developed for use in these very model 82 pistols. Maybe the Czech military used a special powder or hybrid?

Shadow 7D
October 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Paint, do the usual prep (sand down the paint so create a smooth surface, plug and cover etc.) and then apply paint to the best of your abilities.

I acutally used KG GunKote, you can buy it directly, or you can get from Midwayusa. I first sandblasted it, but I used 80 grt slag, I think it cuts way too much and the only thing that saved me was that I have a crappy setup....

I have seen some awesome bead blasted finishes, Anyway I ended up with a lot rougher than many, used K phos, then with an airbrush touch up kit from the auto parts store ($12) I painted it, then I used my 'easy bake' (as my wife calls it) toaster oven from good will ($8) and then a few short week later of struggling to get that damn sear spring right, I had a real nice gun.

Furncliff
October 21, 2010, 02:36 PM
What's involved in sending an 82 to CZUSA?

I failed at getting slide stop springs installed properly. My smith charged me $70 and his fix did not work either.

The slide is locking back every shot. When it does operate correctly the hammer follows.

I'm ready for CZ to work on it.

Shadow 7D
October 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
look up CZusa and call them, they have a techsupport/GS number.

jeepguy
October 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
mine is not pretty but she can shoot. i bought mine at a gun show for $155. best $155 i've ever spent. i did find that mine shoots silver bear better then us made 9x18. im glad since the silver bear is significantly cheaper.

DonRon
October 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
The only domestic 9x18 ammo I have ever seen is Winchester and that is imported from and made by Seller & Bellot

DonRon
October 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
harmon rabb:

Years ago when it was still coming in, a friend and I bought two 1000-rd cases of Russian 9mm Mak ammo. We both had Makarov pistols, mine is an E.G., his was a Russian or Bulgy, can't recall.

I still have about half of that case and the CZ 82 loves it. In fact, I don't even shoot the E.G. Mak anymore. I treated it as a collector. The Russian FMJ stuff is what the one mag is loaded with in the first pic in my initial post.

Later, I picked about 500rds of something surplus that was still around on a table at a funshow (Chinese, I think) and shot that up in the CZ. Again, this was a few years back. I also reload the 9mm Mak, which saves on burning through the surplus.

What I'd really love to get are a couple of cases of Czech-made 9mmMak ammo, as it is claimed to be the hottest Mak load produced in Europe (whether military or commercial), supposedly developed for use in these very model 82 pistols. Maybe the Czech military used a special powder or hybrid?

I have never actually see that stuff in the USA. S&B is real good and plenty hot for those little blow back pistols. I am concerned that the Buffalo Bore stuff would make 40 year old brittle steel a Blow Up Pistol.

erazor55
October 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Wow, I need to post more often. What a great batch of replies and good old gun talk.

I had to take the CZ apart tonight and clean up, mostly for an excuse to handle a gun. Man, nice feel. The machining is first rate. I like my Yugo 57, and maybe the edges will wear off with use, but it surely isn't as smooth as this CZ.

Bullets have come in. I may have to take it out on Saturday to see if it's the tack driver everyone says. If I allow enough time, I can shoot pretty good. If I shoot great, it's because of the gun!

Shadow 7D
October 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
Oh and a fun fact is that the 82 was designed for a hotter round than standard mak, actually it is THE round for it and why it's not traditionally rifled, as the round is a sintered iron (and banned as a 'ap' round :fire: ) So BB or other 'hot' ammo is fine

agtman
October 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
I have never actually see that stuff in the USA. S&B is real good and plenty hot for those little blow back pistols. I am concerned that the Buffalo Bore stuff would make 40 year old brittle steel a Blow Up Pistol.

DonRon:

Thanks for the S&B tip. :)

Shadow 7D
October 22, 2010, 03:23 PM
S&B is great stuff

BUT

vz. 82 ammunition, is not Mak, it is designed for the 82 and pushes the bullet quite a bit faster than standard, something like a 63grn at 1200+FPS, I had the site somewhere, it's interesting and you will NEVER EVER SEE IT IN THE US cause it is Sintered IRON, ie AP

but if you run into a Czech army guy overseas, maybe you can bum some off of him. BTW, the S&B is MAK, and may be hot mak, but that doesn't compare to the real stuff.

erazor55
October 22, 2010, 03:39 PM
I used my lunch for something better than eating and took the CZ out. It's a smooth, but a fairly long pull on SA.

For the first time shooting it, I am pleased with where the bullets hit the target. It does like to come back on target quickly, a natural pointer for me. In a pinch I think I could hit a bad guy pretty easily.

DonRon
October 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
S&B is great stuff

BUT

vz. 82 ammunition, is not Mak, it is designed for the 82 and pushes the bullet quite a bit faster than standard, something like a 63grn at 1200+FPS, I had the site somewhere, it's interesting and you will NEVER EVER SEE IT IN THE US cause it is Sintered IRON, ie AP

but if you run into a Czech army guy overseas, maybe you can bum some off of him. BTW, the S&B is MAK, and may be hot mak, but that doesn't compare to the real stuff.
I do believe that the VZ 82, 9x18 Mak cartridge chambered pistol is no longer a Military or Police pistol and that is why they are now called Mil Surplus and even added to the Curio and Relic list removing them form even being classified as a firearm.

If you run into a "Czech Army" guy he will be armed with 9 x19 NATO rounds only. That so called hot round was manufactured by Seller& Bellot and known as the 9x18mm Ultra or 9x18mm Police ammunition is not compatible with the Makarov or Makarov chambered pistols, although they have the same 9x18mm designation. The 9 mm Makarov round is 9.25 mm as compared with the 9 mm Ultra's 9 mm and the 9mm Police's 9.02 mm.

harmon rabb
October 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
long SA pull? the SA pull of my cz-82 is very short. it feels like my sig 226 in SA... only smoother and lighter.

DonRon
October 22, 2010, 07:48 PM
long SA pull? the SA pull of my cz-82 is very short. it feels like my sig 226 in SA... only smoother and lighter.
Just wait until you try a polished out Mak PM. From Russia with Love!

North Bender
October 22, 2010, 07:50 PM
If you run into a "Czech Army" guy he will be armed with 9 x19 NATO rounds only. That so called hot round was manufactured by Seller& Bellot and known as the 9x18mm Ultra or 9x18mm Police ammunition is not compatible with the Makarov or Makarov chambered pistols, although they have the same 9x18mm designation.

Tell that to the Czech liason officer I befriended in Afghanistan last year who let me examine the CZ-82 he carried. He gave me a couple boxes of the 9x18 S&B ammo (sintered steel) he carried for me to use in the Khyber Pass Makarov I kept with me. I never did shoot any of that stuff and I couldn't send it home to play with either.

But yes, the Czech Army does still use 9x18.

North Bender
October 22, 2010, 08:07 PM
The only domestic 9x18 ammo I have ever seen is Winchester and that is imported from and made by Seller & Bellot

American manufaturers of 9x18 include CCI, American Federal Eagle, Glaser (CorBon), Stars and Stipes, D&G Reloading, Georgia Arms, Kinematics Research, Quality Cartridge, RBCD, and Reeds.

DonRon
October 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
Tell that to the Czech liason officer I befriended in Afghanistan last year who let me examine the CZ-82 he carried. He gave me a couple boxes of the 9x18 S&B ammo (sintered steel) he carried for me to use in the Khyber Pass Makarov I kept with me. I never did shoot any of that stuff and I couldn't send it home to play with either.

But yes, the Czech Army does still use 9x18.
Wow, I never knew that. Learn something new every day. I have never seen CCI or Federal Eagle just Winchester that was a S&B repack. Are you the same North Bender from the Mak Forums? If you are I am glad to meet you.

I have shot a fair amount of Brown Bear and Silver Bear 9x18 and shy away from Wolf at Norm Sutton's advise.

Wishoot
October 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
American manufaturers of 9x18 include CCI, American Federal Eagle, Glaser (CorBon), Stars and Stipes, D&G Reloading, Georgia Arms, Kinematics Research, Quality Cartridge, RBCD, and Reeds.

I believe you can add Buffalo Bore to that list too.

harmon rabb
October 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have shot a fair amount of Brown Bear and Silver Bear 9x18 and shy away from Wolf at Norm Sutton's advise.

What's wrong with wolf? My cz-82 has seen a ton of wolf without complaint :o

Wishoot
October 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
What's wrong with wolf? My cz-82 has seen a ton of wolf without complaint

+1
It's all I use in my CZ82 and I think I've had a grand total of one FTF out of a couple thousand rounds, Frankly, it was probably more attributable to operator error.

DonRon
October 23, 2010, 12:13 PM
What's wrong with wolf? My cz-82 has seen a ton of wolf without complaint :o
From what I understand from the P 64 owners is that, the Polish P 64 has a very heavy hammer spring and there were primer punctures with Wolf ammo that burned off the tip of the firing pin and extractor rendering the pistol useless as a paper weight. Factor in no replacement parts, until just recently on Gun Broker, and it was prudent to stick with the other Russian ammo makers.

harmon rabb
October 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
My only 9x18 pistols are a cz-82, a makarov, and a pa-63, so I guess I'm safe :D Thanks for the info though.

Taroman
October 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
What they all said. This little gem is my first (and only) 9x18.
Shockingly accurate with the Brown Bear stuff.
$225 shipped to my FFL, along with 2 mags and a SIG 225(!) shoulder holster.

http://www.hverovhe.com/CZ82.jpg

My first experience with a CZ, and probably won't be the last.

DonRon
October 23, 2010, 03:14 PM
I refinished one in dark blue hot blue after many hours of hand sanding with 800 and 1500 wet/dry paper and everybody that see it wants it. The Ivory Grips really sets it off too don't you think.

Shadow 7D
October 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Ok DonRon, now that You don't think I'm an idiot (and I would really love to get some vz 82 ammo, damn politicians)

Where did you get the grips?
I know Marshels does great things, but warns about the wood (he tries, but it's pretty bad when the custom grip guy says, yeah these will spit here cause it's too thin)

DonRon
October 23, 2010, 05:13 PM
I acquired the VZ 82 some years ago for $50.00. The hand carved ivory grips came from India I believe, or so the guy said that sold to me for $200.00 bucks he owed me for some work I did on his 1911. I just refinished the 82 as a labor of love and to be able to use those grips. It kinda turned out nice. It is a sweet shooting pistol. My son has been hounding me for it and I just might give in and let him have it. He has most of my collection already like my matched K38 and K22 6 inch target revolvers and most of my 1911's.

erazor55
October 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
kremke where did you get that jewel?

erazor55
October 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
Man, I must have pissed off someone at AIM before I ordered, or there quality control sucks. I'm only posting a pic of the holster I received with my worn pistol to make a point. Earlier today I saw a post on another forum showing a like new pistol and a like new, or new, holster that someone received from AIM on the 21st of October.

DonRon
October 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
The supply seems to be getting to the bottom of the barrel with the VZ 82 surplus pistols.

Shadow 7D
October 24, 2010, 10:33 PM
check out family finishes and firearms
http://www.familyfirearmsandfinishes.com/handguns.html
he hand picks out of someones imports, you pay for it, but from his reviews over on surplus rifle forum, it's worth the extra (like $10 or 20 compared to others 'handpicked')

Warners
October 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
check out family finishes and firearms
http://www.familyfirearmsandfinishes.com/handguns.html
he hand picks out of someones imports, you pay for it, but from his reviews over on surplus rifle forum, it's worth the extra (like $10 or 20 compared to others 'handpicked')
Agreed. This is one that I recently got from Todd at FF&F:

Warner

http://www.glassclubs.com/cz82b

http://www.glassclubs.com/cz82

http://www.glassclubs.com/cz82c

http://www.glassclubs.com/cz82d

Fastcast
October 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
:eek: That looks un-issued.....Very nice and well worth the little extra!

DonRon
October 28, 2010, 04:57 PM
Good Looking VZ 82!

rellascout
October 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
Warner what did you pay if you do not mind me asking.

Warners
October 28, 2010, 11:15 PM
Warner what did you pay if you do not mind me asking.
Including shipping and the FFL transfer fee, I got the pistol, 2 magazines, and the holster in the photos for $300 even. I think it's a bargain considering the quality and condition of the pistol. The pistol is very accurate, reliable, and really just "feels" right.

Warner

Shadow 7D
October 29, 2010, 12:51 AM
I think todd has most listed in the 220-260 ish range, add in 30 for shipping and 20 for transfer...

harmon rabb
October 29, 2010, 07:29 AM
Including shipping and the FFL transfer fee, I got the pistol, 2 magazines, and the holster in the photos for $300 even. I think it's a bargain considering the quality and condition of the pistol. The pistol is very accurate, reliable, and really just "feels" right.

Warner

That's really not bad if you're guaranteed to get one in that condition. My cz-82 is in that condition and came from classicarms, but I just got lucky there. Also, with shipping and transfer fee, I doubt I paid much less than you anyway.

That's the holster that came with it, btw? They usually come with leather duty holsters.

Warners
October 29, 2010, 08:57 AM
That's really not bad if you're guaranteed to get one in that condition. My cz-82 is in that condition and came from classicarms, but I just got lucky there. Also, with shipping and transfer fee, I doubt I paid much less than you anyway.

That's the holster that came with it, btw? They usually come with leather duty holsters.
Yeah, I figured the few extra bucks that Todd charges was worth it to have a "man on the ground" that hand picked a nice gun. It's a service that he provides and to me it was well worth it. As far as the holster, I asked him which types he had for the CZ82 and decided to get the one I got. The leather ones are nice and all, but a little clunky. Since I live in the Republic of Illinois, it doesn't much matter which (or ANY) holster I got. Hehe....

Warner

harmon rabb
October 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
Can you even have high cap mags in illinois? Or do you have the 10rd mags? :o

Warners
October 29, 2010, 09:16 AM
Can you even have high cap mags in illinois? Or do you have the 10rd mags? :o
Yeah, the mags are fine. I think only California bans them.....I'm not sure. But they are fine in IL. Just no carrying....UNLESS you have the time, patience, money, and desire to fight your way through the courts regarding the "fanny pack carry" that so far has proven to be technically legal here. Or at least in the few cases that made it to court, the state dropped the charges because they didn't want it to play out in IL supreme court and set precedence. Hopefully someday we'll actually have well-documented and understood legal carry options. I would likely carry the CZ82 if that were to happen.

Warner

harmon rabb
October 29, 2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah, the mags are fine. I think only California bans them.....I'm not sure. But they are fine in IL. Just no carrying....UNLESS you have the time, patience, money, and desire to fight your way through the courts regarding the "fanny pack carry" that so far has proven to be technically legal here. Or at least in the few cases that made it to court, the state dropped the charges because they didn't want it to play out in IL supreme court and set precedence. Hopefully someday we'll actually have well-documented and understood legal carry options. I would likely carry the CZ82 if that were to happen.

Warner

More than Cali bans high cap mags. New York, Maryland, Massachusetts, Hawaii, etc. I'm actually surprised that the People's Republik of Illinois is not on that list :p

I hope that someday you're given legal carry options as well. :) If you are able to carry there someday, or move to a free state, I can report that you'll like carrying the cz-82 (but be sure to get a real gun belt). It hides pretty well.

Shadow 7D
October 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
She's a little clunky
BUT
the size and weigh make it a damn accurate and pleasant pistol to shoot, and it's just the grip as the slide is really narrow.

19&41
October 29, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mine came with the holster and mag case also. They're CZ all right, but are for the 75. They will make future barter material. The finish is great though. One thing about the pistol though, when firing Silver Bear ammo, it flashes and sparks as bad as my 1851 Colt blackpowder. Accurate though.

JTH
November 25, 2010, 05:21 PM
This is my dilema, I want another 9mm pistol, I've look at high and at low end 9mm's. Just happens Centerfire sends me a what's on sale booklet. I'm looking at a CZ82@$219.99 and a Bulagarian Makarov@$259.99. I'm not sure what the mag capacity is on the Makarov. Which is the better choice of the two pistols and will they shoot 9x18+P HP ammo? I have a Norinco Tokerev already and big stash of ball ammo. I also want a Romanian AK Draco Pistol. I've looked at Glocks and I just can't afford the Draco if I purchased a Glock 19. Haven't purchased a weapon from Centerfire, what can I expect from them? Thanks in advance!
JT

North Bender
November 25, 2010, 11:59 PM
The Mak carries 8 in the magazine. I prefer the Makarov because it's simple to dissassemble and put back together. The CZ-82 is not. The CZ feels better in the hand but it's slightly larger. Both are accurate.

There is no"+P" ammo in 9x18. MFS labeled one of their offerings "+P" as a marketing ploy but it's not. Buffalo Bore recently issued ammunition they describe as "+P" but it's standard pressure. Because they get what they consider +P velocities and higher performance in a heavier bullet than standard 9x18 they figured that alerting people to the fact was a good thing to do. That will fire fine in either the CZ or Mak.

bigfatdave
November 26, 2010, 12:10 AM
This is my dilema, I want another 9mm pistol, I've look at high and at low end 9mm's. Just happens Centerfire sends me a what's on sale booklet. I'm looking at a CZ82@$219.99 and a Bulagarian Makarov@$259.99.
<snip>
Which is the better choice of the two pistols and will they shoot 9x18+P HP ammo? I have a Norinco Tokerev already and big stash of ball ammo.

JTX, just to clarify, you are aware that 9x18 is NOT 9mm luger/nato/9x19, right?
Your existing stash of 9x19 will do you no good if you buy a 9x18 gun.

Shadow 7D
November 26, 2010, 03:27 AM
Like BFD said, 9x18 mak (or any of them, police, etc.) IS not '9mm' as in 9x19 nato, luger, ect.

AND most mak 9 type pistols CAN CHAMBER a 9mm BECAUSE the mak round is MUCH larger than '9mm'

And fire it
but you will be worse for the wear.

Word of caution.

bigfatdave
November 26, 2010, 08:05 AM
AND most mak 9 type pistols CAN CHAMBER a 9mm BECAUSE the mak round is MUCH larger than '9mm'

If it makes you feel any better, I can't get 9x19 into the magazines for my CZ82, so you'd have to bubba-single-feed it or force it somehow.
9x18 will obviously fit in 9x19 mags, but it wount chamber in any of the 9x19 guns I tested (curious, not trying to actually run it) with a chamber drop into a removed barrel.

PabloJ
November 26, 2010, 09:17 AM
The 9x18 slug is larger in diameter then 9x19. One could shoot (9mm Short) 9x17 in 9x18 but the accuracy would suck and it probably would not be very safe either.

bigfatdave
November 26, 2010, 09:32 AM
"could" does not mean "should"
Reducing safety, reducing functionality, AND putting overpriced 9x17 ammo through the gun that shoots cheap 9x18? That would just be dumb.

JTH
November 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
No need to do anything unsafe. That's why I'm a member here, to ask questions or search for answers. My question shows my lack of knowledge about the types 9mm rounds out there. Thanks for the info guys!
JT

Shadow 7D
November 26, 2010, 05:30 PM
the russians made a version of the Makorav (gun not round)
chambered in 9 nato (9x19) the had to modify the spring and put rings/serrations in the chamber so the brass litter got blown into it, acting like a lock to delay the blow back

Needless to say, US importers passed on that one.

JTH
November 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
That's why I purchased one of the first generation Hi Point 9mm Carbines. One Fugly rifle but decent plinker, purchased it back in late 90's for $125 NIB. Hi Point never held up on their promise of changing old 995s to new tactical stock for $60 charge. Saw one of the new .45ACP carbine's at a recent gun show for $289, almost bought on an impulse. Times are little too tight to buy on impluse but really couldn't have beat the price and Hi Point's guarantee.
JT

If you enjoyed reading about "Newly aquired CZ82" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!