Keeping the magazine full loaded...

PDA

Wonderclam
October 19, 2010, 08:05 PM
Is this bad for it? I keep my magazines loaded on my SW 40 sigma. The magazine spring tension was too tight, so I've been keeping them fully loaded to make the springs softer. So far, it's been working. It's easier to load the magazines now, but is this good for it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Keeping the magazine full loaded..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
October 19, 2010, 08:09 PM
Perfectly fine.

Sam Cade
October 19, 2010, 08:12 PM
Its more likely that your thumbs are getting stronger.:D

Springs only fatigue through compression/release cycles and only take a set when pushed beyond their working limits.

Wonderclam
October 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't a weak magazine spring tension cause the gun to jam? I read somewhere that this is the primary cause of guns' failure to fire.

Mike J
October 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yes a weak magazine spring can cause malfunctions. The cycling is what wears them out though. Leaving them loaded should not cause any problem.

gofastman
October 19, 2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.gunsprings.com/faq#Faq5

see #5 and #6

Onmilo
October 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
"Regular spring replacement is the best defense against magazine failure."
+1
In nearly thirty years of gunsmithing spring failure and poor maintenance are the most common causes of malfunction I have seen.

Sam Cade
October 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
"see #5 and #6" --

#5 Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

This is 100% contrary to reality. If a spring is not cycled it will not fatigue.

Keep in mind that this is SALES LANGUAGE from a business dependent on spring replacement.

Sam Cade
October 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
...not to say that regular replacement isn't of utmost importance, but there is no reason to rebuild a reliable magazine that isnt seeing a great deal of loading and unloading.

Wonderclam
October 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
How do you know when it's time to replace the spring? I just bought this gun 2 weeks ago. Will I have to replace it before 2011 ends?

REAPER4206969
October 19, 2010, 11:18 PM
It is not time that dictates replacement, it is use. 5,000rds. is the generally accepted interval for magazine spring replacement. Also, S&W will most likely send you new springs free if you call them.

gofastman
October 20, 2010, 06:22 PM
"see #5 and #6" --

#5 Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

This is 100% contrary to reality. If a spring is not cycled it will not fatigue.

Keep in mind that this is SALES LANGUAGE from a business dependent on spring replacement.
DOH! :banghead:

I meant for the guy to look at #6.

the spring will settle a bit, that's why loading your mags is getting easier.
like others have said, keeping your mags loaded will NOT wear the springs out*, cycling will-I agree with the 5000rd interval.

*ok, to be technical, the spring WILL eventually wear out from a constant load, but it will probably last longer than you will.

Average Joe
October 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
Load em, and leave em.

nalioth
October 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
// puts another nickel in the jar //

Surprised nobody's run out the 300-odd "Will my springs wear out if I leave the mag loaded?" threads THR has seen so far this year.

To the OP: Springs wear out due to usage, not their static condition.

TexasGunbie
October 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
It's fine, but long ago I had a Taurus Pt111 Millennium Pro. I left the magazine fully loaded, a month later I decided to unload it and see if it's still good. Well the magazine wouldn't feed anything after that. But my glocks and other guns seem to be fine with fully loaded mags.

GLOOB
October 21, 2010, 06:51 AM
Leaving them fully loaded is a good test. If they have problems, try to find some good quality aftermarket replacement springs, from Wolff or whatnot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Keeping the magazine full loaded..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!