sharpening with two quarters??

PDA

JPG1911
October 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
Anybody ever heard of or familiar with this technique? I've seen the ads claiming that all you need to put a razor sharp edge on your favorite cutting tool is two quarters. I am naturally skeptical and i use what works for me, ceramic rods and whetstones, but I always like to see viable new techniques if they are in fact viable. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I've googled it many times but to no avail...:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "sharpening with two quarters??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
October 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
Unpossible. However, a quarter or nickel might make a good shim to hold a knife edge at a constant angle to the stone.

heron
October 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
Sounds bogus to me . . . I'm pretty sure the steel in your blade is harder than the alloy in your pocket change.

M-Cameron
October 21, 2010, 01:03 PM
im assuming it works something like the scissor technique...well in theory it should work....but it sounds terrible for the blade..

i suppose if you had a beater blade and needed it sharp on a hurry.....i suppose ot would come in handy...

rcmodel
October 21, 2010, 01:35 PM
It would have to be a pretty dang soft knife for a quarter to do anything to the blade.

You can cut a coin in two by tapping the blade through it with a few whacks on the spine! With no damage to the blade or edge.

rc

hso
October 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
Never heard of anything like it and can't think how the soft material of the quarter would be able to remove steel from the edge.

MattTheHat
October 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a good way to drop a digit.

-Matt

Joe Demko
October 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
a quarter or nickel might make a good shim to hold a knife edge at a constant angle to the stone.

I've heard of this; but I don't see how you could sharpen a knife with only a couple coins.

M-Cameron
October 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
ok....so i figured id give this a try......

i had an old folder that was as blunt as a board.....

i held the two quarters so they were offset....and pulled the knife blade through the gap between them.......

...after 60 -70 passes.......my knife is still as dull as when i started.......

ah well.....guess you cant believe everything to see on the internet......

David E
October 21, 2010, 03:26 PM
Well, since this is the internet, I did a quick search...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6115676_sharpen-dull-knife.html

David E
October 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
Just goes to show what happens when someone hears about something and then speculates on what they must mean, then posting about the impossibility of it........instead of actually finding out the facts.

bikerdoc
October 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
IIRC Roy Huntington, the editor of Handgunner mag, wrote an article on sharpening and stated he used 2 quarters to get his initial angle on the stone, then put the quarters away and shapened by hand.

Sky
October 21, 2010, 04:18 PM
One of the cheapest knife sharpeners I have ever owned looked like a case that had six washers per-side off set so the washers ended up like your fingers when you bring your hands together with digits enter weaved.

Think the washers were of pretty low grade iron or steel? The way the washers overlapped they naturally formed a "V" so you just pulled the blade through a couple of times and my my my it sharpened the blade really well.

The secret was to apply even Pressure.

No it was not as good as a 20 minute wet stone job but it was extremely fast and worked well.

You can sharpen a blade all kinds of ways. The above mention sharpener I have not seen for a long time. I think it cost maybe a couple of dollars and has been replaced by something costing $20 or more and that works about half as good.

sm
October 21, 2010, 04:19 PM
As a guide to assist in keeping a constant angle - yes.
Sharpening - no.

This is like the old saw about using a coin to determine the choke of a shotgun barrel.
All this tells you is, you have a coin, and a shotgun barrel.

But...but two quarters rubbed together, does make a great squirrel call. *yep*
I was raised to drill a hole in coins, then use a piece of rawhide boot lace to hold them together. (like keys on a beaded key chain, which works fine too).
Off hand, with lace/chain around little finger, rub coins. When the squirrel turns, providing a shot, let the coins dangle off little finger while you shoot.

Ain't teh Intraw3bz wunnerful at times? *smile*

zignal_zero
October 22, 2010, 11:40 PM
mabye this idea (2 quarters to sharpen a blade) actually predates the internet and really WAS the price of sharpening when it originally started being re-told :D

If you enjoyed reading about "sharpening with two quarters??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!