Help me pick my first 1911

PDA

ThePunisher'sArmory
October 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
1. Rock Island 1911-A1 Tactical
2. Kimber Custom II
3. Taurus 1911DT

The choices here are the ones I have narrowed down to. Now please help me decide. I know the one I am leaning toward so lets see what y'all say.
Use will be Target shooting, Plinking, Comp shooting (eventually), and if needs be combat ready (SHTF). Needs to be 100% reliable....or close;).
Price range $400-$800.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick my first 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alde
October 21, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have a Kimber Coustom II and it has been 100% reliable from day one. It's pretty darn accurate too.

ThePunisher'sArmory
October 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Well I think one has been ruled out. Thats why its on the bottom of the list. I've heard alot of bad press on it. Keep the votes and first hand comments coming.

MikePGS
October 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
Not sure what gun you should get but I'm guessing these grips will go on it :D
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/MikePGS/1911punishergrips.jpg

wyocarp
October 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
My top three wouldn't be in that list.

Bullnettles
October 21, 2010, 09:47 PM
Love my RIA, highly recommend it for your first 1911. For the price, it can't be beat. I will have a better 1911 one day, but I'm not spoiled yet so the RIA has more than exceeded my expectations.

m500'92
October 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
Of those three, I'd take the Kimber, could also take a look at Para GI Expert, they're now made in the States.

Kingofthehill
October 21, 2010, 10:52 PM
Kimber= Junk
Taurus= "look at all these options for low prices that don't mean anything" no thanks
RIA Tactical= great bang for the buck, no frills and is a great gun.

JOe

Walkalong
October 21, 2010, 10:57 PM
Kimber= Junk
That is simply ridiculous.

I do not care for the "lock" in the hammer on the Taurus. I would much rather have a firing pin block if I have to have one or the other.

RIA gets plenty of good press. No silly lock.

Kingofthehill
October 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
That is simply ridiculous.

no its not. The new kimbers don't even compare to what they used to be. Too much "luck of the draw" and "Shoot 500rds before we will even consider looking at it because its not broken in yet" crap..

no thanks.

i have 3 kimbers right now, they are all finally working well but i'll never own another.

This forum is about OPINION. Sorry if you don't like my Opinion.

ckone
October 21, 2010, 11:03 PM
Not sure what gun you should get but I'm guessing these grips will go on it :D
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/MikePGS/1911punishergrips.jpg
That's hilarious.

RIA Tactical.

ThePunisher'sArmory
October 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
MikePGS....You read my mind. I will be getting the Hogue grip with finger groves for shooting and those or something like it for show. m500 I took a look at the Para also. I was not overly impressed. The only concern I have is that the Kimber is built to very tight tolerances. Good for accuracy but bad for functioning in dirty, sandy, or bad environments (SHTF roll). I don't think I've seen any Kimbers used by military or police. Plenty of Colts, Remingtons, or Springfields, but no Kimbers. I know that the RIA is made in the Philippines, not to bag a fan of that, but I'm also told they are quite reliable, and that their frames are often used for comp shooter builds. The only difference at this point is price and features. Both have match grade trigger (I can't tell much of a difference between them), Beavertail safety, and skeletonized trigger and hammer. The only extra features of the Kimber are front serrations, loaded chamber slot, and match grade barrel. If I can squeeze good accuracy out of a Ruger P95 I'm not to concerned about the barrel or trigger. It can always be changed...Right? Now I do like the clean lines of the Kimber but I just fear its built to tight to function dirty and reliable if needs be. Plus hey......It's my first 1911. If the RIA gets me hooked. The Kimber may be the next choice. I think I may go with the RIA and spend the saved $250 on ammo, Wilson mags, and a BLACKHAWK! Serpa. Thanks for the input so far. I think my mind is made up..............Unless someone sways me :D.

Valkman
October 22, 2010, 12:23 AM
I voted Kimber. Some may think they're junk but that's BS to me as I have 3 and they're all great shooters and the Compact CDP is my CCW gun. To me the Kimber is easily the best of those three.

88 Cutlass
October 22, 2010, 12:50 AM
I've been hearing a lot of good about the Remington R1 1911 and it's a good looking gun. The RIA just don't look good in my opinion but I've felt one and they do feel like a solid gun and have heard a lot of good about them also. I'm sure you can always pretty it up as well. Just make sure you can't one that the sites can be changed and not just the welded on little front sight.

ArtP
October 22, 2010, 12:59 AM
What about a Springfield or ParaOrdinance?

Of the three RI.

RhodesianRLI
October 22, 2010, 01:04 AM
Get a S&W or a Colt or STI

devildave31
October 22, 2010, 03:29 AM
Love my RIA, highly recommend it for your first 1911. For the price, it can't be beat. I will have a better 1911 one day, but I'm not spoiled yet so the RIA has more than exceeded my expectations.
I agree, I have a RIA GI and it was well worth the money. Also, as someone who is wanting to start dabbling with minor 1911 smithing, It will be an excellent gun to learn on because of the low price.

hexidismal
October 22, 2010, 04:16 AM
As far as the Kimber discussion that's going on here.. I don't think it's fair to say that Kimbers are junk, but I do think it's fair to say they both "aren't what they used to be" (as mentioned above ) and really aren't the best in the price range. In the last few years I've inspected many 1911 pistols, and fired a few Kimbers and other assorted brands. I find that on many examples, the fitting and precision of machine work on the recently made Kimbers has been relatively poor, though not universally so. That being said they are a hell of a lot better than the Taurus examples I've handled. Rock Islands I have no experience with whatsoever. The thing is you're going to find fans of anything, and on the gun forums the large majority of people are always going to simply recommend the guns they personally own. Psychologically speaking, in a sea of so many firearm choices during a time when prices are high and funds are often in short supply, it is natural that buyers will seek out justification of their purchases. The point here.. is to consider advice on brand names alone with a grain of salt. Take the time to learn what makes a good 1911, then handle and closely compare the build quality and fitting of SPECIFIC guns of your various options in the price range.

dom1104
October 22, 2010, 05:29 AM
As for me, yesterday I handled about 8 Kimbers, and bought a Colt.

Rock Islands really felt like junk.

Taurus was ok.

wyocarp
October 22, 2010, 06:08 AM
Yep, right now, if you want a really nice functioning and accurate 1911, buy a Colt. Had a customer buy a Colt GI from me recently. He is a very good shooter and told me that the rangemaster walking along the line was watching his target as he was shooting. When finished, he asked him if he was shooting his Les. His reply was, nope, my Colt.

jwash3rd
October 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
My Custom II has been completely reliable from day one and I shoot the best with it.

Kingofthehill
October 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
IMO....

Great first 1911's

Colt anything -Hermitage
Springfield Loaded- great out of the box, great base to really customize for a good price
S&W PD series- S&W, revolver kings making some great 1911's now at aggressive pricing
STI Spartan- RIA on steroids and you can get it in 9mm if you want
RIA Tactical- great base gun, coating is enhhh but the rest is a tremendous value

Those are the guns i would look at if i was getting into 1911's again. Each of those have very strong points that separate them from others.

Yet, if you drive a lifted diesel truck, that you don't tow anything with yet you got stacks coming out the back, tuners stacked upon each other and 4wd but never go offroad.... get a Kimber LOL

Walkalong
October 22, 2010, 07:26 AM
This forum is about OPINION. Sorry if you don't like my Opinion
Opinion is fine, and you are entitled to yours as I am mine, but insults are not. ;)

Russ Jackson
October 22, 2010, 07:28 AM
Here is a heck of a deal http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=545612 ...Russ

Racinbob
October 22, 2010, 08:59 AM
I agree on that DW Russ mentioned. I voted Kimber but really only because I have one and love it. I like my stuff built here in the states but from everything I've read, it would be hard to top the RIA or STI for value. I won't comment on the Taurus.

Jed Carter
October 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
Of your choices the Kimber, but I would suggest the STI Spartan, more American than the RIA. Springfield Armory, all American, north and south, good pistols. Ixna noa aurusTa, they may be ok 1911s but they (at least the ones I've seen) look like a bad home build. I would not overlook either S&W or SIG 1911s, plenty of pistol for the money. On the cheap Norinco one of the best 1911s made, many say at any price.

Pilot
October 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
You can get a basic Colt within your price range. They are really nice guns.

ThePunisher'sArmory
October 23, 2010, 03:13 PM
I opted for the Rock Island. They had one left and it only came with one mag. They were telling me it only came with one but I'm pretty sure they come with 2 so I had them order me a NIB pistol. I will be picking it up Wed or Fri next week. I will be adding Hogue wrap around grips first and maybe a Wilson Combat mag well. I will prob also order the Wolff spring kit and some extra WC mags for it. I may try one of the Kimber 10 rounders to see how it does. Oh and of course lots-o-ammo. Thanks again for all the input. If I get bit by the 1911 bug then I can see a Kimber in the near future.

ol' scratch
October 23, 2010, 07:17 PM
I love my Custom II. I don't have the Rock Island tactical, but I do have their standard model. Great pistol.
I voted for the Custom because I have experence with it and it has always worked. I have even run 185 grain semi wads to try and jam it. Never a problem.

Remember: WILSON COMBAT MAGS. All the 1911's I have had and fired love them, even pistols that tend to be tempramental.

Kingofthehill
October 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
I opted for the Rock Island. They had one left and it only came with one mag. They were telling me it only came with one but I'm pretty sure they come with 2 so I had them order me a NIB pistol. I will be picking it up Wed or Fri next week. I will be adding Hogue wrap around grips first and maybe a Wilson Combat mag well. I will prob also order the Wolff spring kit and some extra WC mags for it. I may try one of the Kimber 10 rounders to see how it does. Oh and of course lots-o-ammo. Thanks again for all the input. If I get bit by the 1911 bug then I can see a Kimber in the near future.

CONGRATS! You can't go wrong with the Rock Island at the prices they sell for!... As for Mags, yes... Wilson 47's are some amazing mags in the world of 1911's. Ive bought "troublesome" 1911's that have flat out worked again with the use of the WC 47 mag.

JOe

DeepSouth
October 23, 2010, 09:04 PM
I voted for the Rock Island, only because the others are hit and miss (at best) and you didn't have Springfield Armory on the list. That would be my first choice.

MrBill120
October 24, 2010, 09:22 AM
My first 1911 WAS and IS a Kimber Custom II. It is 100 times a better shot than me! Even I can hit the same hole - REPEATEDLY with this gun! 100% relieable out of the box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick my first 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!