Genuine Russian Military Makarov: Any Interest?

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
October 21, 2010, 08:28 PM
My brother may be into a deal where he has access to 20 genuine military Russian made Makarovs, imported as Bulgarian guns through PW Arms a few years ago. These are all used, worn, and show at least bluing loss due to holster wear, but are all shooters...in other words, no select guns, but the real deal.....no adjustable sights like the commercial gun, and the proper arsenal markings, etc. Just wanted to see if there was any interest in them, for a projected price of $225-$250. Post comments, or contact me on a pers message, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Genuine Russian Military Makarov: Any Interest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DonRon
October 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
What is the Manufacture stamping on them?

wojownik
October 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
Yep, I'd surely have interest. Who is the importer (more importantly where and how big is the import mark - do you know if its a giant billboard like Century and PW Arms had been doing of late?)

SharpsDressedMan
October 21, 2010, 10:08 PM
The arsenal mark is a circle with a triangle in it. The Russians sold a bunch to Bulgaria, who also made their own. Both got imported from Bulgaria, but only a few Russian guns slipped in by accident, as Russian made military weapons are supposed to be banned by some presidential order handed down during the Clinton admin, I think. I have not yet seen the guns, but I believe that PW Arms put their mark in small letters on the right side above the grip on the frame. Not too offensive. I hate import marks, too. I'll confirm and possibly photo one if I get the chance. This is a one shot deal, there are no more, and Bulgarian Maks haven't come in at all again. I think the Russian guns comprised somewhere between 50-100 guns of the Bulgarian shipment.

9x19
October 21, 2010, 10:44 PM
At that price I'd be interested.

Most Maks these days are priced well above their actual value, IMO of course.

The CZ82 is the best buy in that chambering these days... also just my opinion.

DonRon
October 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
My brother may be into a deal where he has access to 20 genuine military Russian made Makarovs, imported as Bulgarian guns through PW Arms a few years ago. These are all used, worn, and show at least bluing loss due to holster wear, but are all shooters...in other words, no select guns, but the real deal.....no adjustable sights like the commercial gun, and the proper arsenal markings, etc. Just wanted to see if there was any interest in them, for a projected price of $225-$250. Post comments, or contact me on a pers message, etc.
I seem to remember you selling a Russian Mil Mak for $500 bucks with no import markings a while back. You claimed it was a G.I. sneak back form Afghanistan if memory serves me right.

Alec
October 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not one to worry much about holster wear at all. In fact, I'd probably be willing to take one of the more worn ones.

DonRon
October 21, 2010, 11:49 PM
I got an unissued Bulgarian Markov PM (Circle 10) with a brand new holster and two brand new mags, all unissued, for $150.00 bucks a few years back. I though that was a bargain. Now I am convinced it was.

DenaliPark
October 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
At that price I'd be interested.

Most Maks these days are priced well above their actual value, IMO of course.

The CZ82 is the best buy in that chambering these days... also just my opinion.
Amen to that brother...at $160.00 a mak was a wonderful buy, at current prices, not a prayer...

docnyt
October 22, 2010, 02:36 AM
I would be interested.

wojownik
October 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
SharpDressedMan - thanks for the clarification - yep, I'd definitely be interested.

SharpsDressedMan
October 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
The Russian Makarov that you mentioned that I sold was not from this lot. I was collecting Maks and Toks for a few years, and then got bored and financed other interests. You would have had to see that non-import Russian military that you mentioned...it had personality, wear, and patina....it had seen some serious field use. I have also owned and seen a few Russian military Maks with no import marks that probably bypassed the import mark, and they were darn near perfect, but they also went for bigger dollars. These "remaining" Maks were guns that the dealer thought he might have refinished, but they sat on a shelf and are now hitting the market "as-is". Basically the last of the Bulgarian imports, from a guy that was tied into deals with PW Arms back then.

DonRon
October 22, 2010, 11:32 AM
SharpsDressedMan

I sold a Russian Mil issue, worn, no import marks (probably snuck back from Afghanistan by a G.I.) for $500 last year. Bulgarian "sneaks" usually sell for $400-$500 in VG-Ex condition here in Ohio.

Is this the post you were talking about?

SharpsDressedMan
October 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
DonRon, glad you found that. Yes, back in 2007, the VG-EX condition Russian "sneaks" (pistols made in Russia but brought in as Bulagarian military guns) were going for $400-$500. These are lesser grade, but also lesser money, and I do not think too many Makarovs have been brought in at all in the last year or two, making the Makarov pretty stable in the market. If you had access to all the importers serial numbers, you might be able to identify a Russian gun by it's number, but then you'd have to total all of them to know how many are in the country as imports. I'm guessing not very many, as the dealers and buyers at the time identified them easily while in hand by the triangle-in-circle arsenal mark. I was told between 50 and 100 Russian made guns by the person working with PW Arms at the time, but that was probably even conjecture then. Did anyone besides PW Arms import Bulgarian military Makrarovs?

DonRon
October 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
From what I have been able to ascertain the quality of the Russian Maks is not too good. The Best Maks are the East German followed buy the Bulgarian and the lesser quality are the Russian and Chinese made models.

Then there is some junk coming out of the Khyber Pass region.

This site seems to have a plethora of Mak info:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Makarov-Forum&

wojownik
October 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
Also check Makarov.com for info. The East Germans are seen as the best, and many see the Russians as second in terms of fit and accuracy. The Bulgarians are very good, and have better finish than the Russians. To me, the Russan and Bulgarian run almost neck to neck (the Russian having a solid edge). The Chinese versions are way down on the list in terms of quality.

9x19
October 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
Keep in mind there are two different Russian models: Military Issue and; Commercial models.

The Commercial Models had adjustable rear sights and a poor finish.

The Military issue models had fixed rear sights and a much, much better finish.

I have to chuckle when I see the Commercial Russians priced at $300+ :eek:

SharpsDressedMan
October 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
Let me reiterate, these will be Russian MILITARY (fixed sights), and have holster wear. They should not have any functional deficiencies, and should shoot well, they just won't be as pretty as commercial Russian, or newer production Bulgarian, etc. However, they should hold their value, or exceed it for what they are: a real Russian made military Makarov. I shoud have a few representative pics later in the week (I don't know if I can get pics of all 20).

Jimfern
October 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Will you be able to sell them to C&R license holders?

SA
October 25, 2010, 05:59 PM
For the price of $225-$250 these are very good to buy. I read a comprehensive review (http://thegunforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116) of this handgun, and based on the results, I was completely sold to it and bought it as my CC weapon.

Thoroughly satisfied with it.

leadcounsel
October 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
Count me in as interested. :)

Wishoot
October 25, 2010, 06:06 PM
Put me down for one....

SharpsDressedMan
October 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
I believe they ARE C&R eligible. I am keeping everyone's contact and post by date/time, and will give the heads up when they become available, and will sell them "in order" of contact. Thanks.

VinnAY
October 25, 2010, 07:37 PM
PM sent showing my interest in one pending some pics representative of the lot.

jonnyc
October 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hopefully you're keeping track of PM and posting time;)

senior
October 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
I too have a desire for one, keep me in line also.

harmon rabb
October 25, 2010, 08:20 PM
If they're C&R, sign me up. Better make 110% sure they are C&R before you ship to a C&R holder though!

bigfatdave
October 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm in Ohio, can get to the NE side easily, and might be interested.

What's in the box with one? One mag? Two? Beat-up military holster?
The $225 is on the line for price with one mag, I'd be over next Friday for two mags at $225 though.

klover
October 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
I would definitely like one.:)

It is more than a .380, but less than a 9mm.
Styling, function, AND history! How cool would that be?
Had one years ago, but a damaged commercial job, and loved it!

DonRon
October 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
If they're C&R, sign me up. Better make 110% sure they are C&R before you ship to a C&R holder though!
I am not too sure PM Makarov is C&R....I know the P64 and VZ82 are though.

wojownik
October 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
The Soviet Makarov PM is C&R (but NOT the commercial Russian).

Bulgarian Makarovs are not C&R.

Bulgaria is the country of origin for these particular Russian PMs, but Russia is still the country of manufacture.

A case could be made either way. One the one hand these Russian PMs might not be C&R since they may have Bulgaria stamped as the country of origin.

On the other hand, the ATF C&R list (section II) lists "Makarov, pistol, Russian and East German, caliber 9mm Makarov". Still, if it has the word "Bulgaria" import stamped on it ...

All I know is that I wnat one, maybe two :D

DaBull
October 26, 2010, 01:12 AM
@SharpsDressedMan

Are we at 20 yet? I am C&R and would like to get in line!

SharpsDressedMan
October 26, 2010, 01:54 PM
We may have maxed out, but I do not want to discourage anyone yet, as some may reject their "in line" gun. I haven't seen any of them yet, but will try to keep it fair to all those in the line up. I'd like to see what they look like myself. Should have that op by Friday.

Tecolote
November 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hate to bring up an old thread, but has this deal gone through? Any Russian Maks left?

SharpsDressedMan
November 16, 2010, 06:19 PM
I have the pics, and will be contacting people in order, to the extent of offering the pistol by the person's place on the list and the general condition of the pistol. The THR member will then let me know if they want it, and we'll go from there. If you contacted me earlier, stay tuned!

britch999
November 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
I guess I am a little late to the party, but I am interested if there is still one available

SharpsDressedMan
November 20, 2010, 11:48 AM
We are processing contacts with the THR persons who contacted me earlier. Some have declined, so the list will be extended in the order of contact. The shop we are going thru has some periodic disorganizational problems that we are trying to avoid, so we are just doing 3-5 contacts at a time. If we have guns left over after the list so far, I will post here of availability.

MikeJackmin
November 20, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm interested as well.

Jehzsa
November 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Please put me in line too.

jonnyc
November 27, 2010, 11:10 PM
Got mine today, just as described. Has a "been there..." look to it, but it's solid, complete, and matching. Cleaned all the cosmo out and off to the range tomorrow. Interested to shoot it sidexside with my German Mak.

SharpsDressedMan
November 28, 2010, 01:09 PM
Good to hear. Everyone on the list will be getting a contact, or better yet, to expedite things, if you contacted me earlier, send your email to me now @ matquig@neo.rr.com, and I will take you in order of original contact and send you a picture of the next prospective gun on the list. Thanks.

jonnyc
November 28, 2010, 08:48 PM
Had it at the range today and all went well. Very accurate, but my DDR Mak edged it out a bit. Not sure if the Pearce grips on the DDR had anything to do with it, but both are sweet shooters.

nighthawkb2
March 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
Any left? Just saw the post.

SharpsDressedMan
March 13, 2011, 12:31 PM
Anyone serious about a real Russian Military Makarov, SOMEWHAT USED CONDITION, give an email to my brother: vwguy@zoominternet.net Just a few left, not perfect on the exterior, but fine shooters. If you aren't REALLY interested, don't contact him. It takes some time to sort out the available guns, find the photos, answer emails, send photos , barter, etc. Makes it easier if we have real, potential buyers. Earlier I worked with about 20 guys on THR, and only shipped two guns. Bro gets to do his own replies now. :D

mbelov
March 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
I will buy one if there are any left. I am a C&R holder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Genuine Russian Military Makarov: Any Interest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!