Tax question on sbr AR

PDA

Casefull
October 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
If I get the license or whatever it is called for a 7 in ar rifle and later add a suppressor and or forward vertical grip do I have to reapply for each of the regulated additions?

If said sbr were purchased with the suppressor and grip installed would that just be a one time fee of $200.00 ?

Thanks for responses...I am completely ignorant of these rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tax question on sbr AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hanzo581
October 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Two separate items, the SBR and the suppressor will each need their own.

bkjeffrey
October 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
You can always buy the suppressor and pay the $200 tax and purchase your 7" barrel and permanatly attach (weld) the suppressor to the barrel. The you would have a suppressed sbr and only one tax stamp. Your combined barrel length with permanately attached suppressor would have to be a total of 16 inches though so you may need to look at a 10.5 inch barrel depending he length of the can.

Girodin
October 25, 2010, 12:37 AM
What suppressor are you going to run on a 7" barrel?

To answer the question if you have a rifle with a barrel less than 16" you need one tax stamp. If you get a suppressor it will always need a tax stamp. You can put a vert grip on a SBR with no additional tax stamp. Here I presume your concern is if you started with a pistol receiver then simply adding the vert grip would make it an AOW. If you register that lower as an SBR then there should be no issue adding a vert grip. A permanently attached suppressor that gives a barrel length of 16"(+) would only be one tax stamp for the suppressor (as stated above).

jmorris
October 25, 2010, 10:26 AM
The you would have a suppressed sbr and only one tax stamp. Your combined barrel length with permanately attached suppressor would have to be a total of 16 inches though

The reason it's only one stamp is because 16" isn't "short". It saves you a stamp but you can't move it from one host to another.

rjrivero
October 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
as Girodin asks: What Suppressor are you planning on running on a 7.5" barrel?

I'm having trouble finding anyone who warrants their cans on a barrel that short.

waterhouse
October 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
If I get the license or whatever it is called for a 7 in ar rifle and later add a suppressor and or forward vertical grip do I have to reapply for each of the regulated additions?

Forward grips are not regulated on rifles. You will need to pay $200 for your SBR and a separate $200 for your suppressor.

The only way to get around this, as mentioned, is to pay $200 tax on your suppressor and permanently attach it to a barrel such that the combined barrel length plus suppressor length is greater than 16". Thus, you'll have a suppressed rifle but it won't be an SBR and you'll save on that tax.

Casefull
October 26, 2010, 10:59 PM
I was asking the suppressor question to get a better understanding of how the tax is assessed on the whole or the parts. Thanks for info. I think I will just go with the sbr stamp since I want the short barrel...I already have way to many 16 inch ar's.

Ironman
October 29, 2010, 06:26 PM
The shortest ive seen a manf warrenty is 10.5" as the erosion from a 7" barrel is going to cook that can to death very quickly, not to mention a unstable bullet taking out the baffles. If I were you Id go with a 10.5 bbl, this way your can wont self destruct and youll have useable FPS out of the 10.5" vs 7.5"....just sayin;)

strambo
October 30, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'd go with either a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel for 5.56 AR.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/guns/DSCN1613.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Tax question on sbr AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!