Glock Gen 4 problems?

PDA

9mmforMe
October 24, 2010, 10:01 PM
I read in another post, a couple of guys were talking about problems with the Glock Generation 4s. I am looking at getting a model 19 (not soon) but wanted to ask about potential/actual problems? If problems exist is it throughout the entire line?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Gen 4 problems?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
October 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
There have been reported problems with the 9x19mm Gen4 Glocks.
Failure to extract/feed when using "low powered" 9x19mm ammo (usually with inexpensive FMJs found at Walmart). It's the reason why Glock made a new recoil spring assembly for the 9x19mm Gen4 Glocks. There have been no reported problems with the new spring assembly or when using non-low power ammo.

No reported problems with the .40S&W, .357SIG and .45GAP Gen4 Glocks.

Prion
October 24, 2010, 10:32 PM
I don't own one, however I did try to help a fellow get his gen 4 G17 to run a while back.

It didn't make it through a mag even after 100 rounds and a thorough cleaning. No follow up on that gun.

I was pretty suprised as was everyone who witnessed this Glock choke.

I've never witnessed a Glock perform like this.

9mmforMe
October 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
Quiet,

What type of Walmart ammo (or similar) are you speaking of?

REAPER4206969
October 24, 2010, 10:46 PM
Just buy a GEN1/2/3 and be done with it. Seven million people can't be wrong!

Quiet
October 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
What type of Walmart ammo (or similar) are you speaking of?
Winchester white box.
Remington UMC.

Use NATO spec or +P ammo and it works fine.

9mmforMe
October 24, 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks Quiet.

I would be troubled though that my new glock 19 couldn't handle what my Ruger P95 devours every time I go to the range. :confused:

Big Bill
October 25, 2010, 02:43 AM
Personally, I'd spend $400 and get a Stoeger Cougar instead. It's a Beretta Cougar, made by a Beretta subsidiary in Turkey on Beretta's machine tools.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php

9mmforMe
October 25, 2010, 06:55 AM
Nice looking pistol...I remember when the cougars came out some, oh, 12-15 years ago? They look nicely made and actually do have some of the features I really like in a handgun. Thanks Bill.

Lord Palmerston
October 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi folks. I am new in THR forums, which I find very interesting and an excellent way to acquire a sound knowledge about certain aspects of firearms. I was about to buy a G-19, 4th. Gen. Yet, I will wait until I get more information about those problems, whether real or not. The guys at my gunsmith shop think that the 4th. Gen Glocks are as good, if not better than the previous ones.

9mmforMe
October 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hey LP...Welcome to THR!

Yeah that might be a good idea to hold off on that purchase.

So you're in Richmond VA huh?...not too far from my birthplace in Fairfax VA...about 100 miles north of you. I'm in Indiana now, but miss VA badly.

Do you have any other 9mms?

tinygnat219
October 25, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have put 1500 rounds through my Gen 4 19. With Ammo from Blazer Aluminum, Wolf, Federal, S&B, Speer Gold Dot, Horaday, etc.

0 problems, misfires, FTF, FTE, jams, etc. with this firearm. It's every bit as reliable as my Gen 3, and IMHO it shoots better. You don't really notice the dual recoil spring assembly unless you shoot the +P, and that's when it's noticeable.

Glock hit a home run here folks. It's a nice design, nice price, and it's got that good old Glock reliability. I used to hate these guns until I couldn't get them to fail. Now, I swim in the Kool-Aid.

IBEWBULL
October 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
I would like to remind everyone the ammo and just about all Walmart items are the very bottom bids they can squeek out of our manufactors.
They promis producers high volum in excange for the cut rate price then profits at the plant decrease and quality will suffer.
I would be hesitant on betting my life on what amounts to be questionable quality ammo.
Let the buyer beware.

Lord Palmerston
October 25, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hi, 9mm. Thanks for your words. So, you are from Fairfax, nice place to live. Yes, I have another 9x19, a G 26 which, until now, has always worked flawlessly. I put about 3K rounds through it, many of them bought at Wal Mart, where I often get Federal, FMJ, at about 11 bucks the box of 50 rnds.

9mmforMe
October 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
Considering that Walmart has sold and sells millions of these 9mm rounds, I think that Winchester and Federal are mindful of putting their name/logo on this ammo and having it function well. I have yet to have any problems with WWB or Federal ammo purchased at Walmart or at any of the dozens of "discount" stores that sell this ammo. I have read of some problems from other shooters, but this seems to be rare.

My OP was dealing with Gen 4 Glocks having problems and some obviously do. The problem is determining whether or not this is isolated or something inherent in this generation of G-nines. Time will tell.

LP: The G26 is a nice pistol, had one myself about 10 years ago...sold it for a j frame smith and was quite happy with it, just preference re: ergonomics.
Then I got divorced and that little j frame went to the ex...I miss it, and i don't mean the wife!! :rolleyes:

DenaliPark
October 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
Personally, I'd spend $400 and get a Stoeger Cougar instead. It's a Beretta Cougar, made by a Beretta subsidiary in Turkey on Beretta's machine tools.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php
It's no more a Beretta than is a Taurus PT92....

DenaliPark
October 25, 2010, 06:03 PM
Considering that Walmart has sold and sells millions of these 9mm rounds, I think that Winchester and Federal are mindful of putting their name/logo on this ammo and having it function well. I have yet to have any problems with WWB or Federal ammo purchased at Walmart or at any of the dozens of "discount" stores that sell this ammo. I have read of some problems from other shooters, but this seems to be rare.

My OP was dealing with Gen 4 Glocks having problems and some obviously do. The problem is determining whether or not this is isolated or something inherent in this generation of G-nines. Time will tell.

LP: The G26 is a nice pistol, had one myself about 10 years ago...sold it for a j frame smith and was quite happy with it, just preference re: ergonomics.
Then I got divorced and that little j frame went to the ex...I miss it, and i don't mean the wife!! :rolleyes:
The Gen4 Glocks are perfectly fine, I own three of them. Glock replaced/upgraded the dual recoil assembly on the 9mm's after cycling issues arose, this part is easily identified by an 02 stamped into the tip of the guide rod....People had issues with the slide velocities, resulting in stovepiping ect..WWB is perfectly suitable in all Glock firearms, however you should in any dual recoil spring equipped Glock shoot several hundred rounds of hot ammo to help loosen it up....BTW, comparing a Stoger Couger to a Glock is ridiculous, like comparing a BMW with a Yugo...

Big Bill
October 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
It's no more a Beretta than is a Taurus PT92....Sorry, but you are ignorant of the facts. Taurus isn't a subsidiary of Beretta. Taurus doesnt use Beretta's machine tools. Taurus doesn't have any connection to Beretta. Stoeger does!Stoeger Cougar
Marketing and distribution of the Cougar has been transferred to Stoeger Industries, a subsidiary of Beretta.[2] The firearms are made in Turkey, using Beretta factory tooling. Stoeger now produces Cougars in 9x19mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. Only the full size models are being produced, with no current plans for a Mini Stoeger Cougar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2008/05/stoeger-cougar-8000-9mm-beretta-on.html

possum
October 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
i agree, go with a gen 1,2, or 3 and be done with it.

btw if you have a glock that won't run umc, wwb, remington etc you have a problem. and from the glock that i own, and the many that i have shot and owned, i would say if it doesn't run everything you feed it, you have a problem.

foreverpsycotic
October 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
No problems with my gen 4 19 yet. Put through a box of most of the cheap stuff (steel cased wolf, umc, american eagle) and it fed and extracted everything perfect.

9mmforMe
October 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bill,
Now I am curious about this Stoeger Cougar, after reading about it and watching the video at their site. Do you own one of these pistols? What has your experience been if you have owned said pistol?
Thanks

Big Bill
October 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
9mm - I bought one a couple of years ago that my LH small son wanted. (He only weighs about 110 lb. He had cancer when he was 10 yo.) I gave it to him for his 30th birthday. I wanted him to have something really reliable and accurate. And, now I have another one on lay-away. I'll pick it up as soon as my money comes in. I bought it for $399.99 ($400) OTD. I highly recommend the gun.

Stringfellow
October 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
The Stoeger is the exact pistol as the Beretta Cougar--it is really irritating that some folks don't check the facts before commenting. Other than the logo, the only difference is the paint/finish--which admittedly isn't as even or "fine" as that on the Beretta (slide has a bit of a grain to it).

I got a Stoeger Cougar last month, and got some more range time on it yesterday. It is an excellent pistol, with that Beretta "like butter" action. It has the same fire controls as the 92FS, but an improved grip and slightly different balance. If attributes such as tight fit, solid metal feel, gliding action, and a smooth trigger makes you happy, it is hard to beat this pistol for the price.

Note that it is pretty thick and heavy for its class though (likely its downfall).

9mmforMe
October 26, 2010, 12:11 AM
Well considering my current pistol is a Ruger P95 which is a little thicker than most, this gun looks like it might be right up my alley. I like the ambi controls since I'm a south paw and an all metal handgun is fine as well. The price is also very appealing. The Glock is not out of the picture though, but enter the Cougar as competition.

Big Bill,
That must have been very difficult for you and your son when he was 10, I'm glad that he is still with us!

64tinc
October 26, 2010, 01:09 AM
Picked up a Gen 4 G23 today not shot it yet but will soon. I like the mag release and the grip is better for my hands. Who makes the night sights on them? Says Glock but I don't know and has MH3 on it.

Big Bill
October 26, 2010, 01:25 AM
64tinc - welcome to THR. Congratulations!!! I hope it is dead on accurate and reliable as well. Good Luck my friend!

ElrodCod
October 27, 2010, 12:15 PM
Get a Gen 3 G19.

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 04:04 PM
Sorry, but you are ignorant of the facts. Taurus isn't a subsidiary of Beretta. Taurus doesnt use Beretta's machine tools. Taurus doesn't have any connection to Beretta. Stoeger does!

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2008/05/stoeger-cougar-8000-9mm-beretta-on.html
Sorry, but it's you who is ignorant, PT92's are also made on old Beretta machinery, they are still not Beretta's! I'm a Beretta fanboy, and I can tell you & your "wikipedia" quoted link that Turkey is not Italy....If it doesn't have Beretta stamped into the slide, it's not a Beretta!

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 04:07 PM
The Stoeger is the exact pistol as the Beretta Cougar--it is really irritating that some folks don't check the facts before commenting. Other than the logo, the only difference is the paint/finish--which admittedly isn't as even or "fine" as that on the Beretta (slide has a bit of a grain to it).

I got a Stoeger Cougar last month, and got some more range time on it yesterday. It is an excellent pistol, with that Beretta "like butter" action. It has the same fire controls as the 92FS, but an improved grip and slightly different balance. If attributes such as tight fit, solid metal feel, gliding action, and a smooth trigger makes you happy, it is hard to beat this pistol for the price.

Note that it is pretty thick and heavy for its class though (likely its downfall).
Whats really irritating is all the silliness like the above....They are not Beretta's, they are not made by Beretta.....That's just a fact!

DonRon
October 27, 2010, 05:06 PM
Only Beretta makes Beretta. Taurus just makes cheap copies of other manufactures designs in South America.

Big Bill
October 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'm a Beretta fanboyfanboy - If your name is Beretta; and, you have a daughter that marries a guy named Stoeger, then wouldn't their Kids, your grandchildren, be just as much Berettas as they are Stoegers? Especially when they live in Turkey, in a house that you own, and use furniture from your own mansion? (Do you get it yet?)

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
fanboy - If your name is Beretta; and, you have a daughter that marries a guy named Stoeger, then wouldn't their Kids, your grandchildren, be just as much Berettas as they are Stoegers? Especially when they live in Turkey, in a house that you own, and use furniture from your own mansion? (Do you get it yet?)
Doesn't work that way in manufacturing....And my name is DenaliPark..Not "fanboy!"

killchain
October 28, 2010, 12:42 AM
Sorry, but you are ignorant of the facts. Taurus isn't a subsidiary of Beretta. Taurus doesnt use Beretta's machine tools. Taurus doesn't have any connection to Beretta. Stoeger does!

Uh.

Taurus' manufacturing plants were built by Beretta, and were given to Taurus when the Brazilians ousted Beretta from Brazil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92#Taurus

fmfdocglock
October 28, 2010, 10:23 PM
I actually just traded in my Gen4 Glock 17.

It had problems right out of the box, even with good quality ammo.

It went back to Glock, came back still screwed up. The letter that came back with it said it met specs.

Then, a few weeks later, they came out with the 0-2 spring.

I got a 0-2 spring from them, better, but it was still screwed up. Even with good quality ammo.

They (Glock) refused to exchange it for a Gen3 model.

I traded it in last week, at a significant loss, for another manufacturers 9mm.

I'll never buy another Glock.

PS: I own a number of sem-autos (including a G30 and G22) in various calibers and have been shooting for 30 yrs. The G17 Gen4 was the only one that was problematic.

sturmgewehr
October 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
Uh.

Taurus' manufacturing plants were built by Beretta, and were given to Taurus when the Brazilians ousted Beretta from Brazil.

Do you know how many parts interchange with the PT92 and the original Beretta 92?

Marshall
October 28, 2010, 11:36 PM
And my name is DenaliPark..Not "fanboy!"

That's a funny name. :p

jackpinesavages
October 29, 2010, 12:02 AM
No problems for my 2 Gen 4s. They eat everything I've put in em, even re-loads. New pistol shooters should probably stay away from the 4s.

Big Bill
October 29, 2010, 12:44 AM
deleted

will919
October 29, 2010, 06:57 AM
I hear the dual recoil rod with the 4th gens helps reduce some muzzle flip truth or fiction?
Thanks
Bill

tac94540
October 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
absolutely, had mine about five years now and LOTS of rounds through it. great trigger, reliable, accurate, tough, and i love the grip. great gun

tac94540
October 29, 2010, 07:25 AM
talking about the stoeger that is, wich is owned by benelli. and actually those "cheap" taurus guns that copy beretta have solved some of the problems that the 92 was having, like the barrels wearing out quickly.

FotoTomas
November 10, 2010, 06:57 PM
I just wanted to throw some gasoline on the fire. I have a Glock 17 Gen4 that has been an absolute piece of manure since I first fired it in March this year. I have a little over 1000 rounds of various cheap and expensive brands of ammo downrange and with them all I have about one malfunction every 75 rounds on average.

The 3rd round out of the new gun was a stove pipe. I kept a notebook of the round count and failures. I was shooting Federal 115 ball, Blazer Brass 115 ball, Winchester WB 115 ball, Remington 115 JHP's, Remington 124 grain ball, Remington 124 grain Golden Saber(4 failures in 25 rounds) and some Atlanta Arms and Ammo 147 match stuff.

The first 500 rounds of the cheap 115 ball and the cheap 115 JHP were with the original spring. I recieved a "02" spring from Glock and ran another 500 rounds of the cheap and expensive stuff. It was worse.

Being a Glock fan and armorer as well as a police firearms instructor and an avid competitor in IDPA as well as the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation...I have never had these problems with any of the other Glock pistols (about 30) I have owned since 1998. This particular pistol was an award from a recent GSSF match. I paid nothing for it.

Tomorrow I will be hand carrying it to a regional Glock rep to look at and possibly shoot. He already gave me two new 02 springs to try. We will see.

I love everything about the pistol as far as grip stippling, magazine release, adjustable overlays. Mine just does not work well.

I have a brand new unfired Glock 19 Gen4 as well. I will try it out this week. I hope my new 19 is one of those "It eats everything I feed it with no problems" models that will return my faith to the platform. As for the G17... I hope to get an adapter and put an original Gen3 spring into the pistol to improve its reliability. We will see.

Bottom line... The Gen4 is NOT a guaranteed reliable pistol in my opinion based on my personal experience. You may get lucky BUT I will not reccomend them to people.

Kenpo
November 10, 2010, 08:33 PM
This is disheartening. I have always wanted to like Glocks, and the Gen 4 feels better in my hand. Nearly picked up a Gen 4 G19 in the store today. Ug.

AustinTX
November 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
Uh.

Uh, that happened three decades ago. Taurus pistols are no longer built on Beretta tooling, and they haven't been for a long time.

AustinTX
November 12, 2010, 02:27 PM
talking about the stoeger that is, wich is owned by benelli. and actually those "cheap" taurus guns that copy beretta have solved some of the problems that the 92 was having, like the barrels wearing out quickly.
Problems that Beretta also solved going on three decades ago.

DualBerettas
January 12, 2011, 06:32 PM
Beretta made the Rx4 which is now the Benelli MR1...

anyway, let not jack the thread...

DB

Frozen North
January 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
The Hi Jack that just wont die!!!

My Gen 4 Glock eats any garbage I want to feed it. It takes steel cased herters and wolf junk even. The gun is like a garbage disposal.

txgunsuscg
January 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
I have a Gen 4 23 that I haven't had any problems with. I shot Federal and Blazer Brass through it. From what I have heard all the problems are with the 17 and 19, and have been fixed. Just make sure you verify the spring is the new one, as indicated in the earlier post.

To the other guys not even talking about the OP's subject, GO MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD AND ARGUE BERETTA CLONES!:banghead:

Lucas_Y
January 12, 2011, 07:48 PM
WHY are you talking about berettas and the like in a GLOCK THREAD!?

My wife's gen 4 G19 has had some issues right out the box. It has the 0 3 spring in it, not the the 0 4. Weak ejection, and failures to feed when using cheap bulk ammo with her shooting. I can make the gun run 100%, aside from the weak ejection, on cheap ammo by putting it in a death grip. No problems with any of the hollow points that we've tried. Just sprung too strong for the powder puff ammo is all. I'm going to call Glock and get the new spring for range trips, maybe it will make shooting cheap ammo more enjoyable instead of clearing malfunctions every few shots.

varoadking
January 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
I have 4 Gen4's and haven't had one lick of trouble out of any of them - G17, G19, G22 & G35...

stonecutter2
January 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
No problems with my new gen4 19, have 175 rounds through it.

Winchester NATO and WWB both fed perfectly fine through it.

It has the 03 spring in it.

Talila
July 23, 2011, 06:44 AM
I see that the last post re the Gen4 issues was made in October 2010. Now it's July 2011 and I'm wondering if there is any improvement overall with the Glock 19 Gen4. Has Glock made any improvements or adjustments? I'm considering purchasing a Glock 19 Gen 4 (I have a Glock 19 that I purchased in 1994 - it's fine but I want a Glock upgrade!) but I see more comments on problems than that the 19 Gen4 is finally okay.

Talila
July 23, 2011, 06:48 AM
My previous post above can be ignored. I just found a more current thread on the subject. :cool:

Apocalypse-Now
July 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
I see that the last post re the Gen4 issues was made in October 2010. Now it's July 2011 and I'm wondering if there is any improvement overall with the Glock 19 Gen4. Has Glock made any improvements or adjustments? I'm considering purchasing a Glock 19 Gen 4 (I have a Glock 19 that I purchased in 1994 - it's fine but I want a Glock upgrade!) but I see more comments on problems than that the 19 Gen4 is finally okay.

glock now has a 4th updated recoil assembly for the gen4 19. it's the "0-4-2" spring. supposedly this is the one to fix all probs. too new to say for sure. i've only read a couple reviews on it, but they've been positive.

Lefty Wright
July 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have an early Gen 4 19 that had a few 115 (reload) failures in the first hundred rounds. Switched to the 124 loads I use in my 9mm Kimber and had zero failures for over 1k rounds. Just ran some of the old 115's through and they fed fine. Put in the new spring and couldn't tell the difference between it and the 1K plus spring.

Lucky Derby
October 9, 2011, 06:18 PM
Glocks have always worked. Why do they feel the need to change something that works?:banghead:

ku4hx
October 9, 2011, 07:17 PM
Just yesterday I passed 1,100 rounds through my Gen4 19; the last 300 or so with the replacement 043 RSA. Can't tell one whit of difference with the new spring but all 1,100 have functioned the gun flawlessly.

markb5446
October 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yes Glock has gotten fat and is slipping up all over the place. My Glock 29 had one of the defective transfer bars "4256-1", causing failure to fire. Called Glock twice about it put on hold forever. Options are shipping it back for about 40 dollars or do it myself for 20 dollars. Bottom line is no warranty unless you pay money. So on second call I asked if they would at least send me the part so that a Glock armorer at next gun show could put it in.... NOPE. Cheap a__es won't even send you a 10 dollar part to fix their defects. So I asked for a list of Glock Armorers who I might be able to take it to, or have them get the part....NOPE! GLOCK DOESN"T EVEN KNOW WHO IS A GLOCK ARMORER... That doesn't even make sense! ....Uhhh how do they know who they can ship a part to because they are Glock armorers if they don't even know who the Glock Armorer's are??? More likely, they just won't tell you so they can save 10 dollars having you go buy the part yourself and put it in. Ok... I'll beat them yet, I found a Glock armorer. But let me guess... Glock probably won't pay them for the time to fix it even if they will send him the part. Geeeezz : (
I have had MUCH better customer support from Taurus and they WILL send me a part if it is defective. Taurus has had quality control issues lately too (like Glock, and yes they've had many). But at least Taurus doesn't cheap out on fixing it or even sending a cheap part... : (
Ok, no more Glocks for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Gen 4 problems?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!