Any good Tactical Pens?

PDA

Northslope Nimrod
October 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
Criteria:
1. Quality in looks and feel
2. Writes well or takes refills that write well
3. Cap must fit snug on both ends (not like Tuffwriter)
4. Not too large. I need to use it professionally & carry in shirt pocket (S&W Military seems too large)
5. Under $30

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good Tactical Pens?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigfatdave
October 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
I've got some Zebra steel barrel pens that would make good stabbies if needed ... it would be nice if they were a little fatter for grip, but they do slip into a shirt pocket nicely.

pikid89
October 26, 2010, 01:06 AM
surefire or benchmade

Birdmang
October 26, 2010, 01:08 AM
I like my plastic bic from dollar tree. It writes great and when it is empty I refill it with a different bic. I think they are $1.00 for about thirty pens. When I was younger I got stabbed with one and it hurt a lot. If you put your thumb on the back of it you can do some damage.

CHEVELLE427
October 26, 2010, 01:17 AM
WAS some listed on the back of HANDGUNS MAGAZINE i just got in today
SOMETHING LIKE $129.

think it was surefire

under $30

pack of BIC's

Gunfighter123
October 26, 2010, 01:57 AM
I heard S&W makes some nice ones for a fair price.

Sharpdogs
October 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
The closest pen that meets your requirements would be the new Schrade 2nd generation pens (http://edcdepot.com/schradetacticaldefensepenblack2ndgeneration.aspx). The cap stays on the other end when writing, it's under $30, takes refills and the finish and quality is good. The bad news is that it is roughly the same size as the S&W pens. You can also check out some the new pens by zippo. I have not seen one in person, but they appear to smaller than the pens marketed as tactical pens.

hso
October 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
If you consider the S&W to be too large for every day use you're probably not going to be able to find a purpose built pen to suite your needs. Pens designed to be used for self defense tend to be larger and "fatter" because they are essentially refined kubatons.

I'd suggest looking away from "tactical" pens and focus on standard pens that fit your lifestyle and have some limited SD capability.

heron
October 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Anything you can write with is capable of inflicting a nasty stab wound.

PTK
October 26, 2010, 01:00 PM
I ended up with a Cross stainless and gold accent pen. Fairly dressy, a pressurized ink cartridge fits in it, and it's, well, stainless steel. It's a writing implement that is very stout, and yet still only cost me a grand total of $25. ;)

Rail Driver
October 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
I prefer a $0.30 Bic Medium Stic. Good and stiff, yet flexes some. Cheap and easy to replace, relatively sharp as long as you push hard enough. No worries about losing a $25 pen :what:

Can we say marketing scam? :scrutiny:

IllHunter
October 26, 2010, 04:04 PM
Not only is it stiff enough to stab, the empty tube can be used for esophegeal ventilation or possibly between the ribs to allow a collapsed lung to inflate? I haven't tried that ...yet.

Rail Driver
October 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
Absolutely, Bic (and other similar) pens have been used as improvised first aid devices in many different ways, in many different situations.

nalioth
October 26, 2010, 04:43 PM
Ya know, the best "tactical" pen is the one you've got in your pocket in your time of need.

On another note: see the last line of the signature ☟

Smith357
October 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
Zebra F-701 all stainless steel pen with nice knurled grip for about $7 at staples or office max.
http://www.zebrapen.com/products/pen/f-701?c=30

Also get the matching pencil the M-701.
http://www.zebrapen.com/products/pen/m-701?c=32

bikerdoc
October 26, 2010, 09:12 PM
Right now I have a dozen or so Papermate Breeze pens. Sturdy enough and......

Free from my Lawyers office.

Isaac's Grandpa
October 26, 2010, 09:30 PM
How about one of these?

TimboKhan
October 27, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have a S&W pen, and for what it is, I like it. I personally cannot justify spending what a Benchmade costs.

I do think there is some value to a tactical pen, and some things that you can do with them that a "normal" pen wouldn't be able to stand up to. On the other hand, am I ever going to do those things? Probably not. It does write decently, and the refills are both reasonably priced and flow well.

Ultimately, I don't carry it around that much. I write a lot for my job, and I personally prefer the good ol' Bic Clic pens over just about anything. The S&W works just fine, but for extended amounts of writing, the bic pens are superior.

Onward Allusion
October 27, 2010, 01:35 AM
I have the S&W and it is well worth the $24 I'd paid. It's CNC'd aluminum and has a screwed on cap. The best thing is that as a writing instrument, standard Parker type refills work and there are a lot of different inks and tips to choose from.

Northslope Nimrod (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=10732)
Any good Tactical Pens?

nevermas
October 27, 2010, 01:59 AM
Under 30 bucks? ooo there's the catch right there.

Well, can't go wrong with a Zebra 701, and with a simple mod, you can fit fisher space pen refills in it

Northslope Nimrod
October 27, 2010, 09:42 PM
So, how do I do the simple mod? Sounds like the way I will go.

NWdude83
October 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
Tactical pen = oxymoron and :uhoh:.

Deltaboy
October 30, 2010, 04:17 PM
I carry Cross on Sundays and Zebra 701 the rest of the time.

M-Cameron
October 30, 2010, 04:22 PM
i personally find a lot of the "tactical" pens are hoaky and gimmicky....

however theres nothing wrong with a wrong with a good solid metal bodied pen.....something like a cross......

......the only "tactical" pen i do like is the embassy pen from countycomm......but its just to ridiculously expensive .....

mustang_steve
October 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
An all steel Parker Jotter: $10 (cheaper in bulk, more like $4-5) and it makes a fine device to get stabby with if required to do so, as well as possibly do many other tasks.

Heck I destroyed one (refill got stuck) after I used one to chip the ice off around the doors of my car one cold Indiana morning. I'm sure I could have used a punch to bring the pen to working shape again, but they're so cheap that I really didn't care.

Deltaboy
October 31, 2010, 11:00 PM
If you have LEO friends ask them about the Cross Pen training many of them have gotten in Officer Survival Training. It could save your life.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good Tactical Pens?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!