High or low pressure for cans...

PDA

Eyesac
October 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
I'm wondering if cans are able to suppress high pressure or low pressure better. The reason I ask is there are powders that offer low velocity/performance with high pressures (as apposed to more efficient powders for any given cartridge/bullet). I know that compensators like high pressure, do cans? Or am I to assume that lower pressure is quieter all around?

If you enjoyed reading about "High or low pressure for cans..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
October 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
It depends on what the manufacturer intended. Generally, rifle caliber silencers are made to trap and slow high-pressure gas, whilst pistol silencers are made to trap lower pressure gas. I'm simplifying, but that's the gist. :)

springwalk
October 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
I would guess what ever powder generates the least amount of heat while all other things being equal will be the quieter. Hotter gases create more noise in my experience. Reason why most cans have a significant first round pop, due the hot expansion. Naturally low pressure is gonna be quieter as I know this for a low pressure 45 Long Colt carbine that is scary quiet through even my Gemtech Blackside.

Zak Smith
October 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
You can run this experiment by simply shooting the suppressor in question on a 16-18-20" barrel and then a 24-26-28" barrel. The longer one will be quieter because the muzzle pressure is lower.

The same is true on .22LR pistols and rifles.

Eyesac
October 29, 2010, 01:08 PM
The longer one will be quieter because the muzzle pressure is lower. Huh, good point. Question answered, by golly that's why I asked!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "High or low pressure for cans..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!