Pro Mag magazines any good in Ruger P90?

PDA

stchman
October 27, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hello all. I have noticed that it appears that Pro Mag is the only aftermarket mag maker for the Ruger P90.

My question is are they any good? I was handing one at Bass Pro and they appear to have a no-tilt follower unlike the factory P90 mag. The mag appears to be well made, but that could be appearances only.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pro Mag magazines any good in Ruger P90?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
October 27, 2010, 07:01 PM
Nope. They turn it into a jam-o-matic. Pro Mag anything is pure, unadulterated garbage. They come with a lifetime warranty. This is good because you'll be using it, and never be happy with it. The only mags they make that don't jam are AK-47 mags, and that's because it's an AK-47, not any accomplishment of their mags. But instead of jamming, they break constantly. If you buy 3, you *might* have one working at any given time while the other two are in transit to and from the factory.

Ben86
October 27, 2010, 07:07 PM
I had a bad experience with their AR-15 magazines. The feed lip got bent out of shape within the first 60 rounds, at which time it would not even hold ammo. That's what pmags are for. :)

Being the daring person I am I bought some ruger lcp magazines from them last week (such a good deal! $17 with finger extension!) and plan to try them out this Friday. I've got my fingers crossed. Really all I want out of them is some usable range mags.

stchman
October 27, 2010, 07:10 PM
To WardenWolf.

I am talking of the P90 only. I read a few reviews on Pro Mag for the AR being junk, but the P90 mags seem to get decent reviews.

rellascout
October 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
Promags are crap. Get a decent mag.

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hello all. I have noticed that it appears that Pro Mag is the only aftermarket mag maker for the Ruger P90.

My question is are they any good? I was handing one at Bass Pro and they appear to have a no-tilt follower unlike the factory P90 mag. The mag appears to be well made, but that could be appearances only.

Opinions please.

Thanks.
You're SOL, the pro mags suck, unfortuneately, so to do the Ruger mags...

stchman
October 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
To DenaliPark:

I own 6 Ruger firearms and Ruger factory mags (I have not shot the P90 yet) have all been 100%.

Ruger Mini-14
Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR9
Ruger LCP
Ruger P95
Ruger P90 (not shot yet)

I can confidently say Ruger makes good mags for their firearms.

jimmyraythomason
October 27, 2010, 07:49 PM
I can confidently say Ruger makes good mags for their firearms. Agreed. I have 4 Ruger mags for my P90. They have never failed at all in any way. I have onwed a Mini-14,a Mini-30,a P89 and 2 p-90s,a Mark I and a MarkII. I have had zero failures with factory mags.

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
To DenaliPark:

I own 6 Ruger firearms and Ruger factory mags (I have not shot the P90 yet) have all been 100%.

Ruger Mini-14
Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR9
Ruger LCP
Ruger P95
Ruger P90 (not shot yet)

I can confidently say Ruger makes good mags for their firearms.
I'm not in anyway concerned with your "other" Ruger mags, the followers in the P90 magazines are POS, I have extensive experience with them, it's not at all uncommon to open up a NIB P90, or P345 and have a magazine issue right out of the gate....BTW, why the interest in the POS Pro mags if the Ruger mags are so good?

wally
October 27, 2010, 08:08 PM
Are any Pro-Mags any good in any guns?

I guess there is a large market for mags that make guns jam so you can practice immediate action drills, otherwise I'm mystified as to how they stay in business. Do people buy them and never actually shoot with them?

stchman
October 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
To DenaliPark:

Out of curiosity.

Ruger factory mags are $30 and Midway is selling the ProMag 10 rounder for the P90 for $15.50. I figure if it works then I saved myself some $$$$$. Sounds like either factory P90 mags and Pro Mag (only aftermarket P90 mags I am aware of) suck. So I guess I should pay le$$ for mags that suck, correct?

DenaliPark
October 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
To DenaliPark:

Out of curiosity.

Ruger factory mags are $30 and Midway is selling the ProMag 10 rounder for the P90 for $15.50. I figure if it works then I saved myself some $$$$$. Sounds like either factory P90 mags and Pro Mag (only aftermarket P90 mags I am aware of) suck. So I guess I should pay le$$ for mags that suck, correct?
I've never spent over twenty bucks on a Ruger .45 magazine, try cheaper then dirt, or perhaps CDNN....Look I'm just telling you the truth, Ruger's .45 ACP mags are not the best performers....

gb6491
October 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
...the followers in the P90 magazines are POS,...
Are you talking about about the metal follower, the plastic follower, or both styles?
Regards,
Greg

WardenWolf
October 28, 2010, 02:22 AM
To WardenWolf.

I am talking of the P90 only. I read a few reviews on Pro Mag for the AR being junk, but the P90 mags seem to get decent reviews.
I have a P90 Promag. It's absolutely trash. It may *look* just like a stock Ruger magazine, but it's not. If you can fire 2 shots without jamming, you're lucky. This on a gun that's nearly 100% otherwise.

stchman
November 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
I went to the range Sunday and took my Pro Mag 8 and 10 rounder along with the factory 8 rounder.

Conclusions:
Factory 8 round - excellent
Pro Mag 8 round - good to excellent
Pro Mag 10 round - excellent (9 rounds at first)

Ruger factory mags are Ruger factory mags, excellent.

The Pro Mag 8 rounder worked pretty well, it just required me to push the mag release upon inserting for easy insertion.

The Pro Mag 10 rounder would only let me insert 9 rounds reliably. After the third time loading the mag I could get all 10 rounds inserted. I had read that the 10 rounder needs a little time to break in.

All mags fed the ammo reliably and all held the slide open on the last round.

As to the performance of the Ruger P90T. It is an awesome gun. It is very accurate for the price I paid. I found that in SA, you need to take up the slack of the trigger and then you can shoot well. I was getting ~3" groups at 10 yards once I figured the trigger out.

I am still POd at Ruger for only including ONE mag with the gun. Come on Ruger, you have a reputation of making reliable firearms that are well equipped and affordable.

Ben86
November 1, 2010, 03:08 PM
My promag ruger lcp magazines worked just fine, even with 6+1 capacity in rapid fire. I must mention that before I shot them I soaked and scrubbed them in warm, soapy water, then blow dried them before using them at the range.

starling
November 1, 2010, 03:22 PM
Promags typically work pretty well if they are single stack magazines. Sometimes the last round hold open will not fuction correctly. Sometimes the double stack mags are pretty bad. That being said your not going to get better magazines for the P90 than factory.

I will also say that promag has dramatically inpmoved their products in the last year or so. Lots of design changes.

Also...sometimes the factory oil need to be cleaned off and the mags need to be left loaded for a few days or more for the springs to set in. The followers can also have some flash from the molding process and need some polishing.

Personally I would get the Factory mags unless your dead set on having a ten round mag. Then I would get the promag and work it over until its reliable.

ratt_finkel
November 1, 2010, 03:27 PM
I can't comment on their ruger mags. But I have one of their 32 rounders for my beretta and it has performed flawlessly for hundreds of rounds.

stchman
November 1, 2010, 03:58 PM
I did notice that when I took them apart and cleaned them the mags were full of grease. I cleaned them, oiled them and put them back together.

I would prefer factory Ruger mags, but Midway was having a sale on them for $15.49 for the 10 rounders. I got their big range bag so there was no shipping on the mags as they just threw them in the same box.

I will have to say the Pro Mags load nicer as they have a no tilt follower.

k4swb
November 1, 2010, 04:27 PM
I have a couple of the 10 round Pro Mag P90 mags with the sleeves and use them a lot on the range. Never, not once have they malfunctioned. Guess I was lucky. I was told not to waste my money but at the time they were al I could find and I've wasted more money than that before. I've got two 7 round Ruger mags and two 8 rounders and both have been flawless.

starling
November 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
Funny how folks who actually use them have pretty good luck and include some detail as opposed to others that just basically say that they "suck" or "are Junk".

Just more evidence that its good to relay information with those that actually use a product.

starling
November 1, 2010, 05:32 PM
Thats interesting on the Beretta 32 rounders because I have never seen a double column single feed 9mm magazine/clip that would not have issues over the 26 round mark due to the tapered case of the 9mm. Glock would be the exception here. They get away with it with a slightly different angle on the G18 mags.

I may have to pick up one of those beretta Magazines to check it out.

stchman
November 1, 2010, 05:38 PM
Agreed.

I have 3 Pro Mags for the P90. They all seem to work fairly well.

I am not ready to crown Pro Mag the 100% best mag ever made, but they are not pure junk.

Now I did get some Mini-14 aftermarket mags from Cheaper Than Dirt. They were 30 and 40 round mags. Only 2 of the 8 would even fit into the mag well and none of them would cycle ammo worth a darn. I can say that those mags sucked badly. To CTD's credit they did give me a full refund.

I have heard that Tapco makes a pretty good 30 round Mini-14 mag. I will have to give them a try.

devildave31
November 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
I had purchased pro mags for my P90 before and wasn't pleased. the front of the factory P90 mag has a "true" radius, that is from one side to the other it curves with no noticeable line where the radiusing starts/stops. The pro mags that I purchased had a folded radius, in other words, there was a crease on either side at the front and the radius had a flatter arc. This caused the front creases to catch in the mag well, I could push the release and they would hold so tight that the mag spring pressure wasn't strong enough to budge them. I found that taking a buffing wheel to the edges and rounding off the sharp angle of the crease helped, but they were never as good as a factory mag.

wideym
November 1, 2010, 08:39 PM
I've bought used guns that came with extra Promags and they all have had issues. From not seating properly, last round hold open not working, or simply feeding issues. I will not buy a Promag at any price, but I will say that Promag has excellent customer service and will replace any faulty mag if you ship them the faulty mag. That doesn't mean you won't get a replacement mag without issues though. I write this due to experince with Promag customer service.

EddieNFL
November 1, 2010, 09:02 PM
Conclusions:
Factory 8 round - excellent
Pro Mag 8 round - good to excellent
Pro Mag 10 round - excellent (9 rounds at first)

Once again proving you can't get them all wrong.

NulodPBall
November 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
I just bought a handful of the Pro Mag 10 rounders after I took a close handgun class because I noticed a big difference between my 7 round factory mag capacity and the guys that hand 10 rounders (I'm in California).

I shot some of them for the first time last night with my P90 and I was very unhappy.

The two that I brought with me consistently came loose while firing, and one of them tended to catch 2/3'rds of the way into the mag well if I had a full 10 rounds in them.

Both of them also had trouble feeding some hollowpoints that I was trying out, but my factory mags also had trouble feeding the hollowpoints unless the first round was a regular ball FMJ round. I'll have to revisit using the hollowpoints but all of the followers (stock and Pro Mag) seemed to not put the nose of the round up high enough to clear the start of the feed ramp.

I know this is an old thread but the subject still applies to me :)

Fishslayer
November 6, 2012, 11:48 AM
I know this is an old thread but the subject still applies to me :)

And friends still don't let friends buy ProMags...:barf:

BemidjiDweller
November 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
I have some 32rd promags for my P95, they jammed a whole bunch. I then bought replacement Ruger factory followers for them and fit them to the mag. Now they run 100%.

Walt Sherrill
November 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
Just about the ONLY PR0-MAGs I've had good success with have been mags for the compact CZs -- and the 40 mags worked in 9mm guns. The full-size mags sometimes worked, but they worked best with new mag springs. (If you have to do that, you may as well use Mec-Gar.)

If you don't want to buy factory mags (for price?), look at Mec-Gar. They sometimes made Ruger's factory mags.

FIVETWOSEVEN
November 6, 2012, 03:43 PM
I got two for a Hi Power I used to own as gifts. They worked for the first full magazine, then turned my Hi Power into a jam-o-matic. Never buying another Pro Mag magazine again.

TimboKhan
November 6, 2012, 06:57 PM
Yeesh! I don't want to close this, but i don't know if beating this dead of a horse is practical!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Lone Haranguer
November 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
Pay the money for the factory mags.

Stevo Yo
March 1, 2013, 04:18 AM
I have a P90 and 3 mags. 2 ruger and one 10 rnd Promag. None have EVER failed. I've shot over 5,000 rounds without issue. I don't know what everyone else is talkin about but it's probably info from a friend of a friends uncles cousin that gave the info. They DO work well. I've had friends glock 9's and XD .40 fail regularly. My gun is WAY more reliable that theirs.

ku4hx
March 1, 2013, 04:37 AM
Performance for all ProMag magazines I've tried has been the same: dismal. If I can't get Mec-Gar, I go with OEM.

Fishslayer
March 1, 2013, 04:20 PM
You're SOL, the pro mags suck, unfortuneately, so to do the Ruger mags...

I have six of the Ruger mags. Took the crap springs & junk devel followers out & replaced them with Wilson Combat parts.

The ProMags might be worth a try. I would order springs from Wolff at the same time I ordered the mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pro Mag magazines any good in Ruger P90?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!