? for the ladies.

PDA

Rick R
January 23, 2003, 03:23 PM
One of my co-workers wants to get a permit and start carrying when she feels the need. She's the department "Victim Services Coodinator" and she probably perturbs more people in a week than I do all year so a ccw is probably a good idea.

She's pretty well decided on one of the baby Glocks and some kind of holster mounted in a purse. For you ladies that have tried that carry method, what works, what doesn't and where did you get whatever worked?

TIA

Rick

If you enjoyed reading about "? for the ladies." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hawk0484
January 23, 2003, 04:29 PM
I took my weapon to the local shop and "tried it out" in the purses they had available. There were 3 styles, and I didn't like any. All had velcro at the opening to the holster and took too long to access. What I ended up purchasing that day was a leather fanny pack, since it makes the weapon easy to access.
My only other method of carry that I have found that I am comfortable with is pocket holster.

Just my experience---some women seem to like the purses.

Betty
January 23, 2003, 09:17 PM
I had a purse holster briefly, but didn't enjoy the idea of carrying my gun off-body, not to mention the purse is a prime target for thieves. What happens when your purse isn't right next to you and you need your gun?

If I do use the gun purse now, it's only to shove an extra magazine or other "goodies" in the hidden pocket.

Velcro closures work better and faster than zippered ones; zippers can get stuck. New velcro purses need to be broken in - mine was incredibly stiff at first.

If she's going to do purse carry, she needs to be absolutely careful about keeping the purse in view at all times.

For easy drawing while carrying the purse, carry the purse slung over the weak arm, leaving the strong hand resting on or near the velcro opening. In some cases your hand can actually be in the holster section without anybody really noticing it. If somebody tries anything stupid or tries to snatch the purse - wala! The hand is already on the gun. Tamara likes her gun purse, so maybe she can give you better tips on the do's and don'ts.

Mine was purchased from www.lonesteerleather.com. Coronado also makes some very attractive gun purses.

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 09:29 PM
My misses uses either a fanny pack or a Coronado Leather purse with velcro closure for her Kahr MK9 with night sights.
She had a Glock 26, but didn't like the bulk of it in her hand or in her purse. She has small hands and the MK9 is the one for her.

Rick R
January 24, 2003, 06:12 AM
Runt,

I figured you for some sort of Tactical Day Pack with dual internal holsters and a central ammo feed tray.:) (we need a "tip your hat to a lady" smilie)

I tried to steer her toward a holster, but she's sold on the purse without ever seeing one. I even got on the Galco website to show her some purses at Galco's full tilt retail hoping that would make purse carry less palatable.

Rick

10-Ring
January 24, 2003, 08:34 PM
A LE friend of mine accidentally shot herself last year when she reached for her cell phone in her purse and somehow got the antenna to activate the trigger on her Glock. Lesson learned...USE A QUALITY HOLSTER that protects trigger/trigger guard all the time.

3 gun
January 25, 2003, 11:54 AM
You're right to try and move her away from off body carry. If part of her job is to work outside an office it becomes even more important.

Mastrogiacomo
January 25, 2003, 06:46 PM
Carrying in a pursue is a dumb idea. Sorry ladies, no offense to those that do. However, I personally wouldn't. Anyone steals my purse, they have a loaded, and expensive gun. Guns should be concealed on your person, never in a purse. Also damages the gun to keep it with all the other junk you carry.

hansolo
January 25, 2003, 08:17 PM
"accidental discharge from Glock in purse with cell phone..."

Nah. we don't need no stinkin' safeties!

Gaston Glock --:what:

Rick R
January 25, 2003, 09:09 PM
At least she wants a purse designed to carry a gun in a seperate section where nothing should engage the "safe action" trigger.

She just wants the purse for her own pdw, she actually wouldn't be carrying at work but away from work she might just have a run in with the wrong half of one of the many domestic disputes that she helped take to court.

Mastrogiacomo
January 26, 2003, 09:39 PM
Handbags that allow for concealing handguns are popular but still stupid. Again, if they steal the purse, they got your gun. You'd have to pry my Beretta from my cold, dead hands...:D I'd urge her to look into a good holster or use a fanny pack. Keeping a gun in a purse is just as dumb as it gets. Again, no offense to those that carry this way. It's just my opinion. I find it a bad move. Kind of along the thinking "Gee, I didn't know he had a wallet in his back pocket..":uhoh:

Handy
January 28, 2003, 06:03 PM
Women's clothing an figures make is even more difficult to carry than for a smaller man. I can understand the purse, but it is putting your eggs in one basket.

How about a day planner holster? Less of a crime target and can be more easily stowed.

Given the size of the G26, how about a compact camera bag? Most have a strap and belt loop, zip or velcro top. She'll look like a tourist, but the bag is held close to the body and doesn't look as silly as a fanny pack. Walmart has a bunch of nice models for cheap.

Micro Uzi in a rolled up newspaper is another way to go.;)

Peetmoss
January 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
I would think it would be relitivly easy for a women to conceal a firearm on her person. At least from a man anyway. I generally consider most women non-threats although this is misguided. And my eyes are generaly not were most women would conceale an handgun.

Handy
January 28, 2003, 06:50 PM
Women are generally small, they have thinner waists and wider hips (makes belt holsters difficult) and they generally wear form fitting clothes composed of thinner fabrics than men. What's easy about that?

Kahr carrier
January 29, 2003, 06:51 AM
I dont like those purse holsters, If anything what about a Fanny pack.:)

Rick R
January 29, 2003, 10:03 AM
That's what I'm going to suggest, some type of fanny sack, or camera or Palm Pilot type of belt case.

thanks for the suggestions

Rick

terlingua
January 30, 2003, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure I'm buying that cell phone story.

Handy
January 30, 2003, 07:10 PM
I do. It would take about five minutes and the right size purse to recreate.

labgrade
January 31, 2003, 01:48 AM
Excellent question, Rick R, & I (we) haven't come up with a decent enough answer yet.

The Wife is very much so partial to her S&W 2.5" 66.
At an even 5' & 100 lbs, there's no place to stuff the thing outa sight. Off-body isn't an option, but .... ????

In any event, the accessory manufactirers are missing the boat - besides quite afew of "our Ladies" aren't gittin' some goodies trying out the stuff they should be making for 'em.

Worst (best) case is that there's an incredible market out there that the mfg'ers aren't tapping - or taking "advantage" of - to their advantage & ours.

We need better stuff for our better 1/2s.

Onslaught
January 31, 2003, 10:56 AM
Handbags that allow for concealing handguns are popular but still stupid.
They may not work for you, but that's just entirely too general of a statement to be taken seriously.

Glocks are dumb because they have no safety.
1911's are stupid because you have to carry them with the hammer cocked.
Different Strokes for different folks

For women who have to dress "professionally" as I imagine your co-worker does, there is almost no place to CCW a real weapon. I personally would rather have a 9mm in a bag on my shoulder than a .32 strapped to my thigh under my skirt.

I do feel quite comfortable saying that it is stupid to carry an unholstered handgun in a regular purse tossed in with all the other junk one finds in a woman's handbag. That's just downright dangerous.

There are a lot of affordable CCW purse options at www.gungear.com . They make my favorite fanny packs, although I'm certainly not suggesting a fanny pack for your co-worker.

Mastrogiacomo
January 31, 2003, 12:16 PM
While I agree with different strokes for different folks, in 90% of all cases of theft of women on the streets, or in their cars, their purse was stolen. Bye bye money, so long gun.:uhoh: Now they have something loaded to use against you if they didn't before...

If dressing for work makes it hard to conceal a gun -- try harder. It's not brain surgery.

MJRW
January 31, 2003, 12:25 PM
Just to say it up front, I'm of the male persuasion. That said, I still find that most of my concealment purses just don't make for very appealing accessories and rarely even match my shoes.

vi9er
January 31, 2003, 03:20 PM
I know you wanted purse responses, but have you considered thunderwear or smartcarrry? very concealable and pretty comfortable.

Trisha
January 31, 2003, 03:29 PM
Unless she's going to become biologically bonded with her purse, I'd do everything I could to direct her to on-the-body carry and help her to adjust her wardrobe for it.

For purse carry, I'd suggest Dooney & Burke purses: they're of heavy-weight leather, and with a simple partition in a top-loading bag are fast, won't print, and aren't "telegraphing" their identity as a carry mode.

A less-expensive bag is the M60, found at

http://www.alamoleathers.com/leatguncasan.html

What doesn't work? Any purse that carries a logo from the holster manufacturer. Any purse that has a zipper opening. Any purse that isn't sturdy enough to prevent it from sagging with the weight of the firearm.

And, if your friend is looking earnestly at purse carry, I would strongly suggest she focus on the shortcomings of a semi-auto in a purse: she'll only get one shot before it jams horribly if she has to fire the weapon while it's still in the purse. I keep my 3" S&W 649 in my purse, and a semi-auto on my person.

Something for her to think about. Please, feel free to have your friend get in touch with me off the board - I'll do anything I can to help!

See if you can get her to attend Thunder Ranch or Gunsite for her training (or any of the other excellent equivalents); and my all means get her into IDPA ASAP for support and regular practice, yes?

Hugs!

Trisha

labgrade
February 2, 2003, 03:52 AM
Not to be snide in the least, Mastrogiacomo, but would you care to elaborate?

The Wife, at 5' even has a torso of about 5". Wearing really anything but a cross-draw, severly limits her choices regards functionality.

CCW has much less - equating to zero, far as we know to date.

Please keep no secrets.

Rick R
February 2, 2003, 08:55 AM
The lady in question is probably 5'3" -4" and a bit heavier than Labgrade's wife ( my Rott was heavier than Labgrade's wife). She wears fairly casual clothing and has a figure that would allow her to carry on body with little trouble.

One lady who worked for my first Department wore one of those upside down shoulder holsters with a 2.5" M-66 to good effect. But, she was rather buxom and had a very curvacious figure. She could probably have worn a 4" M-29 on her belt buckle and most guys would have never seen it;) .

I'll think we'll have to wait till the weather breaks (snowed again last night) and see what she likes when we start holding CCW classes again and she can attend.

Trisha,
Thanks for the lead and input, I'll give her your e-mail addy. I don't think advanced training like GS or TR are in the future. She'll be like 99% of CCW packers around here and just take the required course.

Thanks
Rick

If you enjoyed reading about "? for the ladies." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!