Arisaka T99 Japanese etched coin on stock

PDA

40watt
November 2, 2010, 09:57 PM
I sure hope this is in the right post & this rifle is not for sale. I simply would like to know if anyone can assist in identifying these markings that are on this Type 99 Arisaka rifle. It was brought back, legally, to the states by my Grandfather from Okinawa during WW2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arisaka T99 Japanese etched coin on stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brer Rabbit
November 2, 2010, 10:39 PM
The best that I can find out it from my wife it appears to be something of a rifle rack number. Originally I thought it might be a Japanese Soldiers Dog Tag.

If it is a Dog Tag the translation is Kaki 4-4-01 (April 4, 1926) Were Kaki is possibly a last name and the date is a date of birth.

The next line is the number 6523

The third line is 206

and the final line is 59.

Hope this helps some I'll do some more looking in to check if Kaki is a name.

Brer Rabbit

Brer Rabbit
November 2, 2010, 10:40 PM
The best that I can find out it from my wife it appears to be something of a rifle rack number. Originally I thought it might be a Japanese Soldiers Dog Tag.

If it is a Dog Tag the translation is Kaki 4-4-01 (April 4, 1926) Were Kaki is possibly a last name and the date is a date of birth.

The next line is the number 6523

The third line is 206

and the final line is 59.

Hope this helps some I'll do some more looking in to check if Kaki is a name.

Brer Rabbit

WardenWolf
November 2, 2010, 11:29 PM
It's a dog tag:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/modern/DogTag1.html

I Googled "Japanese WWII dog tag" and I got several results that look exactly like that.

Could you post a picture of the rest of the rifle? I'd like to see it. My grandfather also brought back an Arisaka 99 from Okinawa. It's a Series 21 Kokura.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/WardenWolf_1982/th_Arisaka99.jpg (http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/WardenWolf_1982/Arisaka99.jpg)

Brer Rabbit
November 3, 2010, 12:46 AM
A little more research indicated that the 1st line Kaki 4401 is a unit identification. The second line shows two strikes through it meaning that this tag was reissued. The third and fourth line are the Company Number and the soldier number.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=146043 is the source of the info.

apparently there is a reference document that will tell what unit Kaki 4401 was.

The item is definately a dog tag.

Brer Rabbit

WardenWolf
November 3, 2010, 01:09 AM
Is the mum intact?

Maverick223
November 3, 2010, 08:07 PM
I am also interested in seeing the complete rifle as well as knowing a bit more about it. By any chance is your grandfather still amongst us, and able to tell you more about the rifle, how he came upon it, and a little about his travels? If so, now is the time to inquire, I was never afforded the opportunity to meet my grandfather (whom died before I was born). He served in the European theater and I have only been able to glean a little information from surviving relatives, artifacts, and photos about his experience in the service and his life in general. I have picked my father's brain about his experiences in the military in Japan, and his post-military service at Edwards & Nellis AFBs (and Groom Lake) so history doesn't repeat itself.

:)

WardenWolf
November 3, 2010, 09:15 PM
My grandfather passed away in January of 2009. He told me a bit about it. In 1945 he was in the Army Signal Corps, stationed on Okinawa. He was there when Typhoon Louise hit. His area of duties were primarily technical maintenance, and he carried an M1 Carbine. He tells me he bought the rifle off another GI for $10. Different units had different rules for captured weapons. Prior to letting him ship it back, they removed the firing pin to render it non-functional. As a result, it has no import / capture marks, though it does have the mum ground. About 7 years ago I located the parts for it and restored it to operation. The only new parts are the striker, striker spring, and bolt back. Everything else is original, as produced in 1941.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 12:08 AM
My condolences, WardenWolf. My last surviving grandparent died Dec. four years ago, i'll never forget some of his stories.

WardenWolf
November 4, 2010, 01:15 AM
My grandmother on the same side is still alive, although she's nearly blind and has dementia. She's my last surviving grandparent, at 88 years old.

That old rifle survived the war fairly well. The stock is beat up, but the antiaircraft sights are intact and the bore is shiny and sharp. It hadn't been shot for around 60 years when I fixed it. It's actually a very good shooter. Recoil is a little rude, though. My grandfather had always said he'd like to shoot it some day, and he got the chance. He only fired one shot, though, on account of recoil. Then he and my father watched as I put some more rounds downrange with it. I take it to the range every now and then. Ammunition is expensive, though; Hornady is the only one who makes it, and they build it on PRVI Partizan cases. I save all my brass in case I ever get into reloading.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 02:04 AM
The stock is beat up, but the antiaircraft sights are intact and the bore is shiny and sharp.That is just its character showing through...I like to keep most mil-surps that way (dependent upon whether it was likely to have seen action). The AA "leaders" are an interesting item on the Type-99, and, as I am sure you know, are often broken. It appears that the dust cover is missing, but that is not at all unusual as they were often discarded because they tended to rattle.

My grandfather had always said he'd like to shoot it some day, and he got the chance. He only fired one shot, though, on account of recoil. Then he and my father watched as I put some more rounds downrange with it.Good for you. Despite the recoil, I am sure it made his day.

BTW, I would definitely start reloading for that rifle.

WardenWolf
November 4, 2010, 02:31 AM
No dust cover, no monopod. I know it originally came with them since it was very early production. The rifle likes to jam up on the second round from a full magazine for some reason. Only the second round, though. I need to try to figure out what the heck's up with that, since it's otherwise mechanically flawless.

Good for you. Despite the recoil, I am sure it made his day.

That it did:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/WardenWolf_1982/ArisakaGrandpa.jpg

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 02:43 AM
Forgot about the monopod...another addition to the swiss army knife of battle rifles. BTW, that is a great photo...I hope you let him warm up on the M1 Carbine first. ;)

WardenWolf
November 4, 2010, 02:46 AM
That's his M1 Carbine. It's an Underwood. He bought it when the Army was liquidating their Carbines. Still has the original shipping box and paperwork showing where he ordered it from and what he paid for it ($200).

devildog32713
November 4, 2010, 10:41 AM
That Ariska sure looks pretty, haha my Grandfather got out of the army sometime in the 50's, and he bought a Winchester M1 Carbine for $20 from a surplus store. It's in excellent condition and worth upwards of $700-800 or more. First military weapon I ever fired :)

Roadkill
November 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
Nice gun, great history. Here's mine

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=479723&size=1

40watt
November 4, 2010, 11:26 AM
I have never asked my Grandfather about his time in WW2. I understand that there are some things that people only talk about when they are ready. He has shared a few stories about things they did like stealing the Jeeps from the Army officers and things like that. He says the next time we get together he will tell me what he can remember, and I will then share it with everyone. He did attempt to "Sporterize" the rifle. He now regrets this and claims it kicks like a mule. He is excited that I want to shoot it. The Mum is perfectly intact and I will post a pic soon. Thanks to all of you.

40watt
November 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
I am thinking about restoring the stock to original condition.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
That's his M1 Carbine.Should have known, outstanding little rifle. My grandfather probably carried one in WW-II (was a medic and amphibious truck driver) and my father was issued one (though being in the USAF it stayed in the armory). He ended up buying a couple after he was discharged (one sold, another stolen), and I felt obliged to buy one myself to keep the tradition (mine is a Nat. Postal Meter branded rifle actually manufactured by Union Switch & Signal).

He says the next time we get together he will tell me what he can remember, and I will then share it with everyone.Glad to hear it. I agree that restoring the stock would be a good move, but I would keep the original one as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arisaka T99 Japanese etched coin on stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!