Best ammo for 77/22?

PDA

deafdave3
November 3, 2010, 03:31 AM
If anyone has ever shot a Ruger 77/22, what do you feel is the most accurate .22LR brand and genre in which to shoot? I'm getting ready to sight mine in at 50 yards and would like it as accurate as I can be. Thanks.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Best ammo for 77/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Delmar
November 3, 2010, 06:21 AM
Its really the luck of the draw when it comes to rimfire ammo. Some rifles like the really expensive stuff, some like the slow, some like the cheapie. Only way to really know is to go into a gunshop and get a box of 50, in several different makes/bullet weights and see which runs best.
I would also recommend you buy readily available stuff.

ChristopherG
November 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
There are a couple of different things to consider here. The MOST accurate round for many rifles will be a (expensive) match grade .22lr with a solid lead 40 grain bullet in 'standard' (i.e. subsonic) velocity. Since you posted in the Hunting forum, I reckon you're at least somewhat interested in what happens at the END of the bullet's flight--that is, you want a bullet that effectively and humanely kills your game of choice--and a match-grade wad of lead might not fit the bill.

So I'd say, look at loads with a bullet design and velocity appropriate to your prey, get samples, and start testing. I will say that, of hunting-type .22 loads, I've had good luck across a number of guns with CCI Velocitors (which use a tiny little Gold Dot bullet and are quite fast) and CCI Minimags (which are neither quite so advanced or speedy, but have proven very consistent for lots of folks).

If you really want hardcore accuracy and don't care about terminal ballistics, then get ready to lay out cash for Wolf Match, Eley Match, and a variety of others; and get ready to take the time to thoroughly test them, because the differences between them are tiny.

Bill B.
November 3, 2010, 09:33 AM
Best ammo for 77/22?
If anyone has ever shot a Ruger 77/22, what do you feel is the most accurate .22LR brand and genre in which to shoot? I'm getting ready to sight mine in at 50 yards and would like it as accurate as I can be. Thanks.

Dave

Just my 2 cents but the expensive ammo {$15.00 a box} Eley & Lapua are wasted unless you have a bench rest type rifle, shooting from a bench and in either a actual match or online match. Wolf MT, Wolf ME, SK, CCI SV all let you see what your rifle will do much cheaper and between the three if it don't group at 50 yards it's either your rifle or you and the setup you are using. CCI Mini Mags shoot very close group wise in many match chambered rifles and is always my first choice for a HV HP. Many other brands also shoot well in varying degrees depending on the rifle used in. It's all trial and error to match .22 ammo to a rifle. I am also a fan of the sub sonic HP's both for their accuracy and ability to dispatch small game quietly. I have had decent luck with Remington sub's which seem to be of much higher quality than Remington Golden bullet bulk in the lot#'s I have gotten in the last several years. Good luck with the 77/22 as they are a very fine well made .22!

avan47
November 3, 2010, 11:56 PM
I have had excellent results with CCI minimag hollow points in mine. Excellent accuracy, half to one inch groups at 50 yds, and deadly on game. I have killed many hogs, and Ibex goats and a few axis deer with it. Most with head shots.

deafdave3
November 4, 2010, 12:01 AM
I have had excellent results with CCI minimag hollow points in mine. Excellent accuracy, half to one inch groups at 50 yds, and deadly on game. I have killed many hogs, and Ibex goats and a few axis deer with it. Most with head shots.

Damn. I just wanted to shoot squirrel.

hardluk1
November 4, 2010, 08:00 AM
Dave some ammo may shoot 1 1/2 groups at 50 yards ,some 2 1/2" maybe one or two will slip in at 3/4" or less if lucky. It does matter but ammo is cheap and a 22 barrel will also takes many rounds to break in for its best accuracy. If yours turns out to be good enough for head shoots then bullet type does not matter. A solid will work just as well as a HP. It also can take most of a box when changeing ammo for it to settle down when changed to tell if your rifle likes it. 22 barrels also don't need to much cleaning once broken in. Just drag a bore snake through when accuracy drops off. I have two that happen to shoot cheap wolf M/T best and cost is under 4 bucks a box.

Bill B.
November 4, 2010, 11:22 AM
Damn. I just wanted to shoot squirrel.

Subsonic HP's in the brand of your rifle's choice is the ticket. If you are planing on keeping shots in the 25 yard range or using a dog to tree the squirrel's look at Rem. CBee HP's. 33 grain nasty HP's that are quiet, with decent but not match accuracy, and very deadly to say the least.

Legionnaire
November 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'd start with CCI Standard Velocity and Eley Sport. Both are good quality and should be pretty accurate out of most guns. And you don't need high velocity rounds to kill squirrels. But you will no doubt have to shoot a couple (at least) different brands/types of ammo to find what works well/best in your rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best ammo for 77/22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!