m1 m2 .30 cal ammo for the garand

PDA

austoah
November 3, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hello can you help me with this ammo? it was my fathers and I can find very little info on it?

thanks for any help

i can email photo of it 8round clip and cardboard boxes

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 m2 .30 cal ammo for the garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
November 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just tell us what the headstamp says, and whether the tips of the bullets are painted a color or not.

Don

skipbo32
November 3, 2010, 04:49 PM
sounds like the ammo they sell on the CMP website. they are the only ones i know of that sell M2 ball.

Trebor
November 3, 2010, 06:05 PM
It's most likely U.S. military issue ammo in .30 -'06 for the M-1 Garand.

Take a round out of the clips and look at the base. They'll be a headstamp there with initials and a year. That will tell you the year it was made and the manufacturer.

Depending on where and when he purchased it, it may be foreign military surplus as well.

austoah
November 3, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help, they are stamped with a 57 or 58 they have red die on them they are silver looking jackets they have a TE I C

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9206/ammo.jpg
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9739/ammo3.jpg

austoah
November 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hey Guys i found a listing for the TE on my cartridge it says it is a french load ? Cartoucherie de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Any ideas ?

medalguy
November 4, 2010, 01:48 AM
Seems like this stuff is corrosive. Anyone know for sure?

OP, if it's corrosive, when (if) you shoot it, you need to take extra precautions in cleaning the rifle. Google "cleaning rifle corrosive ammo" and you'll find all the information you need. Clean immediately after firing, don't wait until the next day or you will ruin your rifle.

This is really good advice, whether this ammo turns out to be corrosive or not. If it were mine, if there wasn't a lot of ammo, I'd probably scrap it and buy noncorrosive ammo to shoot.

Just in case he had an M1 Garand rifle, DO NOT shoot commercial hunting ammo in an M1 Garand. You can and likely will bend the operating rod which is expensive to replace. Again google "Garand commercial ammunition" for the full story.

Hope this information helps you.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hey Guys i found a listing for the TE on my cartridge it says it is a french load ? Cartoucherie de Toulouse, Toulouse, FranceSounds right. In case you didn't already know, the number pair indicates the year of manufacturer (e.g. "57"=1957AD), and judging from the dull silver bullet jackets those appear to be cupronickel jacketed bullets (similar in hardness to bronze).

Seems like this stuff is corrosive. Anyone know for sure?I'd not bet against you. Judging by age, and origin, it very well could be corrosive.

:)

Spec ops Grunt
November 4, 2010, 01:52 AM
They do sell aftermarket parts so you can shoot whatever out of a Garand.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 02:06 AM
They do sell aftermarket parts so you can shoot whatever out of a Garand.Yep, all you need to do is add a Schuster plug...then dial it in till it cycles reliably with the desired ammunition.

:)

USSR
November 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'd treat that ammo as corrosive.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 m2 .30 cal ammo for the garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!