How Necessary is a National Match Trigger for the AR15?

PDA

macheteman
November 3, 2010, 06:08 PM
Do I need to spend the extra $80 for a NM trigger if I want to shoot decent scores in Service Rifle? Just how lousy is the stock trigger that it needs to be replaced?

Does anyone shoot high scores with a stock trigger?

If you enjoyed reading about "How Necessary is a National Match Trigger for the AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
November 3, 2010, 06:10 PM
It is not at all necessary, but it makes life much much easier.

Justin
November 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
If you intend to shoot Service Rifle, a National Match two-stage trigger is pretty much a requirement.

macheteman
November 3, 2010, 06:14 PM
If you intend to shoot Service Rifle, a National Match two-stage trigger is pretty much a requirement.
Darn.

Robert
November 3, 2010, 06:19 PM
They are truly worth every bit of the $80.

Z-Michigan
November 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
$80 extra isn't much for a "national match" level trigger. What specific one are you looking at?

Standard AR-15 triggers on the USGI pattern range from mediocre to terrible. Some are basically OK, with only moderate creep and a little bit of grit in the break. Others have terrible creep and the break feels like snapping a green twig. The ones from higher quality companies are often better, but a lot of it seems to be random with no guarantees.

On the other hand, any one of perhaps 10 different designs of aftermarket (non-GI) triggers for the AR provide a much better trigger pull, consistently.

browningguy
November 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
A standard AR trigger is long, heavy and gritty. Get the RRA national match trigger and don't look back. I don't know of anyone shooting a standard service grade AR trigger at a high level competitively.

Justin
November 4, 2010, 02:34 AM
If you get serious about shooting Service Rifle, the $80-$120ish you spend on a two stage national match trigger will be outstripped by the money you spend on perishable things like ammunition, match fees, and gas for going to the match within a season or two.

If you stick with the sport for any length of time, the eventual cost of the sport will make the cost of a good rifle look like peanuts.

This isn't to dissuade you from shooting Service Rifle (or any other form of competition for that matter). Organized shooting sports are within the reach of even people with fairly modest incomes, and I strongly believe that every gun owner should compete at least semi-regularly as a way to test their skills outside of the comfort zone of an idle range day.

However, in the long run, the cost of buying the best gear you can afford right off the bat will eventually seem pretty cheap. Definitely buy the best gear you can afford, even if it means saving up for a little while longer.

rskent
November 4, 2010, 06:42 AM
A good trigger is a lot like a shooting coat. Not at all a necessity, but it sure is nice. Its cheap points. The amount of trigger time you have to put in to shoot well with a bad trigger will cost you more in bullets and powder than the cost of the trigger. But the challenge of shooting with a standard trigger might be fun too. So strap in and snap in, dry fire a few thousand rounds and see what happens. When you can drop the hammer and not see the front sight move (at all) your gold.
Steve

wanderinwalker
November 4, 2010, 07:43 AM
It may be because I have put so much time in on the two-stage trigger, but I honestly feel it is a real benefit to shoot position with a two-stage trigger. Something about the way you don't have to take a standing run on the trigger to break the shot. To me, it just feels easier.

You could go with a standard single-stage AR trigger if you want, but as mentioned, you're better off going with good equipment in the first place. Spend once, cry once and then shoot it. By the time you've skun a couple of barrels, traveled to a few big regional matches, put in trigger time in practice and used and worn a bunch of other gear, the price of a good match trigger means nothing.

If you enjoyed reading about "How Necessary is a National Match Trigger for the AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!