November Rimfire Match!

PDA

Maverick223
November 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the Novembuur (cause it is beginning to get cold out there) Rimfire Match! This one is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the classic .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., 17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires you might want to exercise). This match is meant to be challenging and FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

There is Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles)

Target Class can be shot from any position, Sporting Class is shot from any position without a rest or sandbags. When you are satisfied you've done your best post (or shoot me a PM) a photo of your target scoring with the following information: Forum name or name you want posted in the results, Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). The Target Is Included Below...

25/50Yd. Target:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/Target6.jpg

Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. Fire one shot at each bulls, for a total of 6 shots. Scored as marked (inner ring worth 9pts., cut the center dot for 10pts.), for a total of 60 possible points.

Scoring Guide Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated. All submissions due before Decembuuur (cause it will be even colder then) 1st, 2010.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "November Rimfire Match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDMorris
November 3, 2010, 07:56 PM
you have no target.
how about.... a bullseye?

Maverick223
November 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
Target added.

KSCCHTrainer
November 4, 2010, 10:30 AM
Going to head to the range sometime today - I like this target, gotta print off a bunch of them.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
Sounds great, KSCCHTrainer.

KSCCHTrainer
November 4, 2010, 03:18 PM
Gonna have to go shoot this one again - got to the range, set up and started shooting (3-9X40 @ 50 yards with the Romanian M69). I'm diabetic and I forgot to eat lunch before I left the house. My blood sugar started to go low and I got shaky enough I had problems holding center target.

Gonna go back Monday and shoot it again. Tomorrow (Friday) and the weekend are usually too busy and I don't like to tie up a lane during hunting season as there are many people checking their rifles and making sure the zero didn't change from last year. Gets busier than feeding time at the local zoo.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 03:31 PM
50/60 ain't too bad...I have seen (and done) a great deal worse on better days. ;)

KSCCHTrainer
November 6, 2010, 06:43 PM
Spent a couple hours this afternoon stoning and smoothing the trigger/sear assembly in the Romanian M69. Got the trigger pull from a gritty 10 lbs down to a very smooth 2 stage 4 lbs with no creep. Final task is to create an overtravel stop and I may have to change this thing from sporter to target class!

Maverick223
November 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a heck of an improvement, and it should aid with hitting those elusive "Xs" (or in this case dots). ;)

MN9159
November 7, 2010, 07:18 PM
Dang im a good internet shooter, I was looking at the target and thought "Yea, I can pull off a 54 or so... printed off two targets, paced off 50yds, 12 pops later I go look at the target and come up with a 50 and a 32, ugh! I definitely dont spell "perfection" like "Remington"... I wish everyone luck and I'm gonna go back and try a couple more times, lol.

Im about ready to take the Mosin out, the bullet has a rim to it, haha...

Maverick223
November 7, 2010, 08:36 PM
Im about ready to take the Mosin out, the bullet has a rim to it, haha...Just one problem...ain't no fire in that rim. :neener:

BTW, welcome to THR and the match. Good luck on your next outing.

KSCCHTrainer
November 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
Dang im a good internet shooter, I was looking at the target and thought "Yea, I can pull off a 54 or so... printed off two targets, paced off 50yds, 12 pops later I go look at the target and come up with a 50 and a 32, ugh! I definitely dont spell "perfection" like "Remington"... I wish everyone luck and I'm gonna go back and try a couple more times, lol.

Im about ready to take the Mosin out, the bullet has a rim to it, haha...
Take that 91/59 out and shoot the November "High Power" match with it. ( http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=552594 ) I need someone to beat my 91/30's score - right now I'm sitting #1 in that match with an old 1942 Izzy 91/30 I bought from Gander Mountain 3 years ago for $99.95.

MN9159
November 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'll see what I can do, I'll probably take one of the K31's out for the high power match. Everything has open sights on it right now, waiting on the clamp on mount for the K31 now, trying to pick up a good scope for it.

Thanks for the welcome, I have enjoyed looking through a lot of the threads here

P51D
November 8, 2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome, MN9159!! I know what you mean. Those bullseyes certainly look a LOT bigger on the computer monitor at home than they do on the backer board at the range, don't they?! Range shrinkage! :o

P51D :cool:

Maverick223
November 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
Range shrinkage!Hehehe...an epidemic sweeping across America. :p

KSCCHTrainer
November 10, 2010, 01:13 PM
Dang, we got a new excuse! I was running out of old ones.:evil:

Orlando
November 12, 2010, 02:33 PM
Finally made it back to the range after several weeks. It was a absolutly beautiful day. In the 70's with little wind in Ohio in November!!
Not sure how you guys score these, if you break the line you get the higher score?
If so looks like I finally shot a perfect target. Someone please score this.
I ask one favor, could you make the targets alittle smaller next time:)
Man they sure look smaller at the range than they do at home
Kimber 82
Iron sights
25 Yards
Front rest
Center X ammo
Thanks guys
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/RR1911069-1.jpg

Maverick223
November 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
Not sure how you guys score these, if you break the line you get the higher score?
If so looks like I finally shot a perfect target. Someone please score this.Yep, but it isn't quite perfect because you didn't cut all the dots (worth 10pts.)...but it appears to be a score of 56, which is respectable nonetheless!

I ask one favor, could you make the targets alittle smaller next timeSure thing...I was thinking about just printing a page with a single dot (like a period), just to make it worth shooting...cause I know these are just too easy. :p

Good shooting, Orlando! :)

Orlando
November 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
Ah I got ya, center dot is 10. Thanks for settin me straight

Maverick223
November 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
No problem, thanks for shootin'.

happygeek
November 13, 2010, 01:52 AM
About the best I did with a sling and iron sights was
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Targets/pb130359.jpg
(Disregard the numbers scribbled on the side, those were notes about something else.)

Did a tad better with a 2-7x Burris and el cheapo bipod off Amazon
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Targets/pb130358.jpg

Rifle was CMMG 22LR dedicated AR upper.

Maverick223
November 13, 2010, 02:07 AM
Looks like a 27 for irons, and 43/39 for optics to me...that scope makes a heck of a difference.

happygeek
November 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah, 300 yards on a silhouette is about the limit of my eyesight with irons.

Pocket Rocket
November 13, 2010, 11:48 PM
Today was a perfect day in the Mojave for a bit of target shooting and plinking...This is my first attempt at one of the rimfire matches since getting my rifle newly scoped. Here are the details of my shoot:

Gun: Ruger 10/22, target model K10/22-T
Optics: Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR scope cranked up to 9x power
Distance: 50 yards
Position: prone using range bag for front rest
Ammo: CCI Mini Mags 40gr round nose

The rifle is capable of better using match grade ammo but I'm happy enough with these results. I may give it a go with better ammo later this month but I didn't have any of the top shelf stuff with me today. By my calculations this is a 43...but please correct me if I'm wrong. This was also the best I did out of 5 or 6 tries. My low score was 36. Looking forward to seeing some more results.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2z70nco.jpg

Maverick223
November 14, 2010, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the match Pocket Rocket! I think you short-changed yourself...looks like a 46 or 47 to me (it's tough to tell if the bottom right is a "8" or "9").

Pocket Rocket
November 14, 2010, 12:16 AM
Doh! That works for me...I think the lower right is squarely in the 8 ring, 46 it is :D

Maverick223
November 14, 2010, 12:50 AM
Settled then...good shootin', PR.

Orlando
November 14, 2010, 06:53 AM
Welcome, we do need more new shooters
This is one of the harder targets we have shot

P51D
November 14, 2010, 07:27 AM
Here's a target I scored as a 49.

50 yds, sandbags on a bench
Cz-452
Weaver 3-9 X 32 A/O
SK Standard Plus ammo

This is another good, challenging target, Mav!

P51D

Pocket Rocket
November 14, 2010, 09:32 AM
Nice job, now you have me regretting that I didn't take the match grade ammo out into the field. My rifle shot best with Wolf Extra but I have a box of the SK I haven't yet tried. I heard those two brands are basically the same.

Maverick223
November 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
This is another good, challenging target, Mav!Thanks, P51D; and well done on poking holes in it.

otrman
November 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
Finally got out to the range, been way too long. I picked up a CZ 452 about 2 months ago and had been itching to get it on paper. Although I already know it is a shooter, been decimating the squirrel population in my backyard with CCI subsonic, but it seems to love Fed. GMM ammo. I see it as a 57, pending Mav's inspection and approval.

Rifle: CZ 452 Military Trainer .22lr
Iron sights
25 yards
Federal GMM ammo

Maverick223
November 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
I see it as a 57, pending Mav's inspection and approval.Approved! Awesome shooting, Eddie!

Orlando
November 15, 2010, 06:17 AM
Very well done on a tough target!

otrman
November 15, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thank you all. It was a very tough target even with, thankfully still at almost 42, 20/10 vision. That CZ is nice, very much living up to all the good things I've heard about them. I had planned to shoot my target Ruger 10/22 as well but waiting for the scope to come back from Leupold for the second time....:cuss: :banghead:

Maverick223
November 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
Wish I had your eagle-eyes, otrman. Which one?...is it a Rifleman or a VX-I? Either way, I hope you have better luck this time around, and speedy shipping.

otrman
November 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
Yea the eyes still work but everything else is falling apart around them, lol. It is a VX-II, goes blurry just as you pass 8x, makes no difference at what distance. Sent it in and they sent it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Checked before remounted and still same so back it went. So we will see.

Maverick223
November 15, 2010, 11:39 PM
It is a VX-II, goes blurry just as you pass 8x, makes no difference at what distance.Uh oh, sounds like your eyes are going too. :p I figured it was a Rifleman/VX-I because they tend to have more problems (though even those will typically do fine on a rimfire); anyway, I hope they take care of you and get it back to you prior to the close of this month's match.

MMercury88
November 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
What should be the diameter of the targets be? I've got 2 9/16" when printed on the computer.

Maverick223
November 16, 2010, 04:10 PM
Mine came out to about 3-3/32in./79.5mm (outside ring), give or take 1/64th (0.5mm), when printed full scale. You need to save the image (best to use the attached copy as it is higher res.), open it in your preferred document viewing program (I used MS Photo & Document Viewer), then print it full page/centered (should be the default setting)...and if you are anything like me, print a dozen extra to better your odds. ;)

Jon_Snow
November 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
Just under the wire. Here's the rifle:

Savage Mark II
Bushnell 3-9x32mm
Shooting off a Harris Bipod
Wolf Match ammo
at 50 yards

and here's the target:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2583/novrimfire.jpg

I think it's a 57, but I'm not quite sure. Target C is especially tough to judge.

I will admit, I took Maverick's advice and printed a stack of these. Most of them ended up in the low 50's or high 40's, so I'm claiming pure luck on this one.

ETA: Maverick, I saw in another thread that you had a Fajen stock on your 10/22. I'm thinking of building one for silhouette/plinking and was wondering how you like the Fajen.

Maverick223
November 30, 2010, 02:07 PM
Good shooting, Jon. Looks like a 57 to me too.

Orlando
November 30, 2010, 02:09 PM
Nice shooting Sir

KSCCHTrainer
November 30, 2010, 03:02 PM
Target C is definitely a 9. If it cuts the line at all, the higher number counts.

Good shooting!

Jim

Maverick223
December 1, 2010, 03:00 PM
Non-Magnified Division; Sporting Class:
1st: happygeek (27)

Non-Magnified Division; Target Class:
1st: otrman (57)
2nd: Orlando (56)

Magnified Optics Division: Sporting Class:
1st: KSCCHTrainer (50)
2nd: happygeek (43)

Magnified Optics Division: Target Class:
1st: John_Snow (57)
2nd: P51D (49)
3rd: Pocket Rocket (46)

Thank you all for tuning in and participating. The new match (titled New Years Eve Match) will probably be added later this afternoon (time permitting).

Maverick223
December 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
New match (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6898151#post6898151) is up and running...come check it out.

P51D, thanks for the target suggestion...it really helps with starting a new match.

If you enjoyed reading about "November Rimfire Match!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!