Robinson M96 Rifle

PDA

mp5a3
November 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
Any word on these ? I did a search and didn't find anything.

http://www.robarm.com/RA_m96_rifle.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Robinson M96 Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
November 4, 2010, 01:47 PM
I own one. What do you want to know? They are quite nice.

mp5a3
November 4, 2010, 01:58 PM
Indeed, it's very nice. I've been out of the market for a while. Starting to look around at different guns that are interesting and out of the norm. If you coudl maybe share a few pictures. Perhaps one of it fieldstripped. No rush, and if you don't have any, no worries. Thanks

GunTech
November 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
A modern derivative of the Stoner M63 system. It has a small following and was designed by Stoner to be a complete weapons system based on shared components. The M96 is a dedicated rifle based on the M63 and for civilian sales. It appeals to many because it doesn't rely on the direct impingement system of the M16.

The M96 enjoys modest sales, although there were some problems with early guns. Robinson Arms offers an upgrade for these early rifles. They are solid rifles, a bit on the heavy side compared to ARs, and lack the plethora of add-ons the AR has.

The M96 tends to be expensive, and Robsinson seems to be focusing on their XCR rifle. The M96 rifles I have seen for sale have been around $2k.

mp5a3
November 4, 2010, 02:13 PM
Not really a bad price considering what an actual Stoner 63 goes for.

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/stoner?set=02&sz=1259x825

Ouch !!!!!

Robert
November 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but why would one pay near $2,000 for a rifle that does not come with a mag?

Z-Michigan
November 4, 2010, 04:42 PM
Gus - I'll sell you mine with one 30-rd mag for $2000, right now. Let me know if we have a deal.

:)

At the time it came out, manufacturers were unsure whether selling a rifle during the "ban" with a "high cap" mag, even though the mag was pre-ban, was a violation of the ban. I don't know if there was any logical basis for this or if it was just paranoia, but there were other companies that only shipped 10 round mags with their rifles during that time.

Z-Michigan
November 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
mp5 - I'll see if I can post some photos at some point. I'm actually planning to put mine up for sale in the near future, since it's a major safe queen (practically a safe king). PM me if you have any interest.

Robert
November 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
At the time it came out, manufacturers were unsure whether selling a rifle during the "ban" with a "high cap" mag, even though the mag was pre-ban, was a violation of the ban. I don't know if there was any logical basis for this or if it was just paranoia, but there were other companies that only shipped 10 round mags with their rifles during that time.
Ok that makes sense. But the ban has been over for how long now? Maybe it is time they update the site. At least based on the link above.

Z-Michigan
November 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think RA has actually shipped a new M96 since around 2005 or so, and the ban expired late 2004. Since then they've been working on the XCR as noted above. Since 2008 they've been making noises about making one last, special production run of the M96, but I'm not aware that they've done so. The site linked is a partial archive of their older site first put up probably in the late 1990's.

GunTech
November 4, 2010, 05:42 PM
I was wondering if Robinson was still producing the M96. If they EOL the rifle, parts might be challenging to obtain. Pity.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 08:30 PM
They are pretty neat rifles, but I can't see how it is any better than a AR-180, which is much cheaper and fairly available.

Z-Michigan
November 4, 2010, 10:27 PM
Maverick - oddly enough when I ended up purchasing the M96 I had been intending to order an Armalite (Illinois company) AR-180B. FYI, that rifle has been discontinued for a couple years now. Original AR-180s are collectible at this point and parts may be an issue, as well as their specialized mags.

But hey, if you can afford it, why not get both? :)

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 10:38 PM
Original AR-180s are collectible at this point and parts may be an issue, as well as their specialized mags.Parts are still fairly available, and while the original magazines would certainly be preferred, the ubiquitous AR-15 pattern magazine can be modified to work. BTW, I think you made the right call by not choosing the AR-180B, as it had a polymer lower (unlike the original)...I never liked the idea of that (and there has been some documented problems with them IIRC). BTW, I still see AR-180s floating around for sub-$1k from time to time, so they are still fairly affordable (when compared to similar options), and certainly not the most common rifle on the block.

But hey, if you can afford it, why not get both?Now that's the spirit! :D

Carter
November 4, 2010, 10:44 PM
I doubt RA will be making anymore of them for awhile. They have been trying to get their XCR-M out for awhile now. It was supposed to be released already, but they seem to have a lot in house issues. Took them over 10 weeks to ship my rifle out when they said everything was in stock. That turned out to be a lie...that I was told every two weeks.

HorseSoldier
November 5, 2010, 12:03 AM
As far as I know, the posts about the M96 being out of production are correct. Robinson Arms dropped them around the time the started selling the XCRs.

racine
November 15, 2010, 11:10 PM
It's a nice design albeit with it's own growing pains. I was one of the beta testers for RA and reported a design flaw of the launching barrel that they addressed. I've still got mine and really enjoy it. I just had a machinist design a NM rear sight for my rifle and he commented how hard the steel was that RA used on the rifle. He'll have to machine a new front sight base for me to use with the NM rear. I initially got 1-1.5MOA initially and just the other day was shooting 1.5 MOA at 100 yds benched. I got this as I did not like the AR design and cleaning it. The Sig 550 series was a similar design though much more refined but I just could not justify spending $4K for one back in 1996. It's too bad RA chose not to continue this line due to the cost and newer designs. It's a stout rifle and a bit heavy for a 223. I will keep this and hope they can make replacement barrels in the future.

Z-Michigan
November 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
Very good info, thanks.

I read on one single site that the receiver steel (all stainless) was nitride treated (nitrocarburized). Have you ever heard of this? It would explain the blackening, but other methods of blackening are available and presumably simpler/cheaper. I haven't seen that claim anywhere else, but am curious.

Maverick223
November 15, 2010, 11:49 PM
Have you ever heard of this? It would explain the blackening, but other methods of blackening are available and presumably simpler/cheaper. I haven't seen that claim anywhere else, but am curious.It is a very tough finish that will "stick" to SS, often used for high-end pistols and such. I am not at all surprised that RA would use it as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Robinson M96 Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!