Help I'm new

PDA

riflenewbie
November 4, 2010, 07:06 PM
Looking for a new rifle on a budget. Remington 700 adl would be awesome and I keep seeing people picking them up for under $400 new, but I can't find one anywhere. I know that they were discontinued. Considering getting a Savage 111 30-06 mainly whitetail hunting.

Thoughts on where I can find a new Remington 700 for under $500, or any thoughts on the savage 111, or maybe something better.

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help I'm new" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
November 4, 2010, 07:34 PM
1st, welcome! :D

Around here, used Remingtons are common, may want to check the used section of your gunshops. If you have to get new, the Savages are very tough to beat and would be my choice over a Remington. :)

JDMorris
November 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
Howa M-1500 for about 550 dollars is a sub minute shooter, even with a sporter barrel.

Maverick223
November 4, 2010, 09:08 PM
Don't worry, you'll get old before you know it. :D :uhoh:

I agree with Al. The old Remingtons are fine rifles, but I tend to avoid the new production rifles (within the past decade or so workmanship has declined). Check your local gun shops and pawn brokers and do a bit of haggling...you should be able to find one with relative ease. ...but if not the new Savages or even the Marlin XL-7 is a good alternative for the budget-conscious buyer. I would rather buy a slightly cheaper rifle and have enough cash for a good quality scope (which tend to run about $200.00+) than settle for budget optics on a slightly better rifle.

:)

grtwhthntr
November 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
Take a look at the T/C Venture before you buy anything else. They're guaranteed to shoot 1 moa and have a lifetime warranty. The Savages are great rifles provided they have the accu-trigger. Their stock triggers are junk in my opinion. I would also look at the Marlin XL-7.

BrocLuno
November 4, 2010, 09:52 PM
Mav is right, it's a package. Even if you are shooting peeps instead of glass sights - you may be able to pick up a lovely trade-in with all the bits in place and ready to go. Used is good :)

riflenewbie
November 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
thanks for the advice guys. Looked around for used guns, not really much selection in my neck of the woods. Leaning towards the savage 111 in 30-06. I talked to a couple of gunsmiths and they said its a very good gun for a very good price. Hopefully someday ill stumble on a used 700 thats affordable

Arkansas Paul
November 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
T/C Venture, Weatherby Vangaurd, Marlin XL-7, Savage Edge, Stevens 200.

These are all accurate rifles that you can get for less than $400. A couple of them quite a bit less.

Welcome aboard!

dougw47
November 5, 2010, 06:56 PM
I picked up several rifles this year for my grandsons and son...got some for $249 and up. Marlin's XL7 and Savage 200's were under $300 new, Do*cks and Academy usually run specials for hunting season and Wallyworld has some for $329 up...used Rem. 700's go for $250 to 350 used.

What area of the world are you in? Any big cities close?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help I'm new" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!