A real champ at the ammo counter...

PDA

artherd
December 19, 2003, 05:58 AM
It's not as though I expect these guys to possess genius level IQs, but...

Went into a local Big 5 today, and we asked for some "7.62 by 54 rimmed"...

"We don't have that. Wait, do you mean the 'R' ?"

"Uh, yes. 7.62mm by 54mm, rimmed."

"Oh. Well, we don't have any 'R' 54"

"well... do you have any 'non-Arrr' and can I see the box maybe ?"

"Oh, sure, but you don't want it, it will corrode your barrel."

<trying not to laugh/cry/strangle> "Ok, fine" <leaves the store>

Some people.

If you enjoyed reading about "A real champ at the ammo counter..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swingset
December 19, 2003, 06:48 AM
Imagine going to the a tire company to buy tires. Counter guy says:

"Hi, welcome to Tire King"

"Hi, I'd like a set of 185/60-14's please"

"Uh....you mean 16's??"

"No, I mean 185.....60.......14's"

"Um, we have black ones. You want the round kind?"

"Yeah. I'll be going now"

berettaman
December 19, 2003, 07:41 AM
How about asking the doctor,"is this gonna hurt"?

Doctor "Not Me"!!!:evil:

Sisco
December 19, 2003, 08:24 AM
Best one I ever witnessed was at a local discount chain.
Lady pulls a piece of paper from her purse and tells pimply faced kid her husband wants her to pick up some ammo. Reading from the paper she says "He needs some .380 auto"
Kid looks around. "Nope, we don't have any of that, we have 38 special though."
Lady: "That's not what he wrote down here"
Kid: "It'll work. See, the '38' is the size of the bullet."
Lady: "That doesn't sound right."
Kid: "Oh, they're the same thing, they call these 'Special' because they're more powerful".
Normally I'm one to mind my own business but I had to step in on this one.
Gave the lady the location of a gunshop that would have what she needed (scaned the ammo selection first, they didn't have any .380)
Explaind to the Kid that just because the bullet diameter is the same doesn't mean that the cartridge is. Also mentioned that using the wrong ammo in a gun is a good way to get hurt.

squibload
December 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
A great way to see it the guy behind the counter is on the ball: Ask for 14 gauge shotshells.

If he/she says, "Yeah, we have some Winchester AA's around here somewhere", or "Do you see any on the shelf?", or "Will 16 gauge fit?", run away..

If he/she says, "No, but we did have a Greener around here somewhere", you're golden...

JohnBT
December 19, 2003, 03:55 PM
My cousin has been shooting since she was 5 or so - about 40 years.

She went into a gun shop/range and asked for a box of .35 Remington. Here's how it went...

Clerk: "What kind of a gun is it for?"

Cousin: "A Marlin 336."

Clerk: "Then why do you want Remington ammo?"

John

Fly320s
December 19, 2003, 04:03 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

What is a "greener?"

Quartus
December 19, 2003, 04:07 PM
Rare make of shotgun.

twoblink
December 19, 2003, 09:11 PM
I maintain that is STILL better than "A 357 is so powerful that if it hit your pinky, it will spin you around.. If they shot you in the chest with it, you will be thrown back at least 5 feet."

:rolleyes: :uhoh:

I still remember a "I'd like a Winchester white box".
"Err... I think all the ammo is the same color... I don't think we have any white ones.."

:scrutiny:

GigaBuist
December 19, 2003, 10:47 PM
Even people in the know can make mistakes though. I've been handed "Winclean" ammo when I asked for the Winchester FMJ stuff before at Gander Moutain. The boxes are right next to eachother, they look pretty similiar, and I often don't notice for a moment or two. It's usually not much more than the cheaper stuff and honestly it does seem to shoot cleaner... so I just buy it and don't correct anybody.

I will admit that I once, not thinking, asked for 240grain .45ACP at the same store. Got a puzzled look and the gentleman informed me that it's usually 230 grain. I was pretty new to the sport.

TOTALLY OFFTOPIC (but funny): (oh, and it's a good customer service lesson I guess)

My family owns a greenhouse. While working there we had a young fellow (about 17 or 18) working for us that was, well, retarded. Borderline retarded, as in having an IQ of 75-80 by most accounts. At this point I've known the kid for 8 years, his family, etc... pretty much just friends with the guy. Well, lady walks in to the greenhouse and asks if we have any "Chicks and Hens" -- asking the semi-retarded guy.

He takes a somber face, thinking the woman is looney, and says, "Ma'am, we don't sell barnyard animals here." D'oh! 'Chicks and Hens" is actually a plant and we carry it -- about 20 feet from where they are.

DamnedDirtyApe
December 19, 2003, 10:56 PM
After I bought my 10mm Glock 20 last summer, I stopped at the WalMart ammo counter and asked the ancient two-toother if he had any 10 mm ammo back there.

He said: "No, but I got 7 millimeter - 7 millimeter."

What's a millimeter or two here or there, anyways?

Might have been difficult to cram in the magazine.

Checkman
December 19, 2003, 11:45 PM
I usually look at the selection then point out what I want to the clerk. Now if I'm in an actual gun store I don't have any trouble. If anything I usually have to tell the employee that I know what I want and not the more expensive choice.

Quartus
December 20, 2003, 08:53 AM
Might have been difficult to cram in the magazine.

:confused: Huh? No, man, it would be EASIER, 'cause it's smaller! 7 is smaller than 9, dude!

:rolleyes:

:D

Matt G
December 20, 2003, 10:10 AM
I'm rather lucky, I suppose. I don't have such problems, much. Some of it has to do with choosing where you shop, though. One of the gun shops I go to, the counter guy said, "Hey, you bought some .380-2Z one time, didn't you? I've got a half box of .38 S&W 148g LRNs, here-- you want it? Or did you get rid of that Webley?" I answered that I didn't have the Webley, but that my wife had an Iver Johnson .38 S&W. "Here. Take it."

:) It's all about where you shop. :)

Kamicosmos
December 20, 2003, 11:21 AM
Again I have to say go to the right store! The discount stores like wal-mart and Kmart aren't staffed by people who are into whatever stuff is sold in their department. You want gun stuff, go to a gun store. Otherwise, look behind the counter and point at the stuff you want, and stop setting up the employee. And besides, you know the employee is talking about you in the break room: "I just had another jerk gun nut come in and ask for some bizarre rifle cartridge and got all pissed off when we didn't carry it. What does he think we are? A Gun Store?!"

For a flip side to this, I used to work in a small computer store, the type of place where you come in and buy the individual components to have a custom built system. I hated having to 'serve' the masses. I would refer them to Best Buy because I got so sick of explaining the Difference between Intel and AMD. Or having the question 'What do you want to do with the PC?' answered with to 'Surf the Internet'. It always amazed and frustrated me that people were willing to 'trust' somebody to build them something for $1500 without knowing anything about the product!

Buyer and Seller Beware....

7.62FullMetalJacket
December 20, 2003, 11:49 AM
Yeah. Even the gun stores (yeah, I spread it around) know better than to offer advice. They patiently wait for me to make a specific request. If they do not have it, then they research and order it. NEVER rely on wally world, Big 5, Gart Sports, or any other "chain/big box" to provide advice. :)

Edward429451
December 20, 2003, 12:14 PM
I'm always very specific, but sometimes the customer can add to the confusion. My friend went to buy some 380 ammo and walked up to the reloading section of the counter and said "I'd like a box of 380 bullets please"

Thats what he got. But he's not a reloader and didn't realize it until he got back home and was too embarassed to take them back.

cracked butt
December 20, 2003, 02:14 PM
I walked up to the gun counter at my local Walmart, lsquinted at the cage behind the counter looking to see what they had. The guy behind the counter asked for what I needed and I said I was checking to see if they carried any 6.5 Swedish. He said no, but he knew of a gun shop down the road that did carry it. I was impressed that the guy knew what he was talking about and did refer me to a place I didn't know about yet.

Zundfolge
December 20, 2003, 03:07 PM
Last time I bought some WWB .223 at wallyworld, I asked the guy behind the counter for "a few boxes of Winchester White Box in .223 Remmington"

he was so confused ... he kept pulling out various boxes of Remmington brand ammo and asking "is this it?

Finaly the guy who runs the sporting goods counter came back from his break and gave me what I needed (and told not to pick on "the kid" :p ).

Johnny Guest
December 20, 2003, 04:49 PM
Going out to my boss's farm, stopped at Wally World in next county seat to our east. Surprisingly varied stock of ammo at their gun counter.

Me: Y'all have any .338 Winchester Mag ammo, preferably Remington brand?

Counter Guy: Nope, sorry. Fella was in looking for some t'other day. We got none.

I scanned shelves - They has several of the new super short squatty body magnum cartridges, but no .338 WinMag.

Me: Okay, then, any .35 Whelen? (Good selection, remember?)

CG: Yup, Here ya go.

(Whups - -He put out .35 Remington..)

Me: Uh, no, sir, that won't fit my son's rifle.

CG: (Mildly exasperated with me) Well, a minute ago, you said you wanted Remington, and you can do your wheelin' and dealin' with these here, cain't you?

Me: Do my - - Oh, okay. Sorry, I must be confused. Thanks for your time.

Sometimes I believe handloading is the ONLY way to go . . . . ;)

Johnny

Zeke Menuar
December 20, 2003, 04:55 PM
Not all the salespeople at Big 5 are morons. The salesman at the Salem Big 5 is also a shooter and Mosin owner. I just bought a M38 from there and I will probably buy again. It was very refreshing to be able to discuss corrosive ammo, headspacing, differences in various Mosin models with someone who is knowledgable.

ZM

December 20, 2003, 05:10 PM
I am with Kamicosmos.
Just because someone working in a chain discount store doesn't know what you are talking about doesn't make them a moron. Do you honestly expect every Wal Mart employee to know the ins and outs of every item in the store ? They arn't hired there as some kind of expert. They are hired to run a cash register and had you stuff. At the risk of offending someone, if they were really on the ball they wouldn't be working there. Same with fast food restraunts. I have heard people just snap because they got their order wrong in the drive through. My answer; If they were real bright they wouldn't be working at a fast food restraunt.

I do agree that it often results in funny situations and I also agree that someone like that giving out advice is dangerous. But, if you want someone that might know what they are doing, go to a gun store; and you still won't have any guarantees.

All that being said, we used to have a discount/chain sporting goods store called Jumbo Sports. They had guys who only worked at the gun counter and actually knew what they were doing. Most of them seemed to be retired guys.

If I am in a store of any kind and I ask for something and the clerk starts asking me questions like: what are you using it for, or what are you shooting it out of or anything like that, I walk out without answering (unless I want help, which I usually don't get).

7.62FullMetalJacket
December 20, 2003, 05:12 PM
I think the common thread here is that WE know what we need. You should never rely on the Wal-Mart dude or the gun shop "expert" to hand you the right stuff.

December 20, 2003, 05:32 PM
"I'd like a box of 380 bullets please"

Thats what he got.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little off topic, but this has been cussed and discussed on here several times. Some people don't understand why you can't just call a magazine a clip or a round of loaded ammo a bullet etc. After all, EVERYBODY knows what you are talking about. That is correct, they do know what you are talking about, the problem is YOU don't know what you are talking about. Words have meaning, don't purposely make up your own meanings and expect anyone to know what you mean.

Quartus
December 20, 2003, 07:22 PM
don't purposely make up your own meanings and expect anyone to know what you mean.

Right on, 444.

And don't do it out of ignorance or LAZINESS either!

December 20, 2003, 08:15 PM
Well igonorance is one thing. Obviously if you don't know any better, then you don't know any better.
But, if you know the correct word and decide to continue to use the wrong word because "everyone knows what I mean": that, I don't understand.

geegee
December 20, 2003, 08:29 PM
I must ask, was it Michael Keaton or Chevy Chase that spoke that memorable line:
"Yeah, .38...39, whatever it takes! "? :neener: geegee

Zundfolge
December 20, 2003, 08:39 PM
Actually it was Teri Garr in Mr. Mom (which also starred Michael Keaton).

Dr.Rob
December 21, 2003, 07:25 AM
I've had to point to a number of items at Wal-Mart "No the next one over, yes, the yellow and green box"...

I've also been pleasently suprised by a little gray haired old lady... (Buying shotgun slugs in a 5 pack.) "You know we have these in a 15 pack." "Really? But these are slugs." Sonny you woundn't be buying a box of 5 shells if you were bird hunting." ;) So I look and sure enough, my fave Winchester 2/34 1oz 12 ga. load is offered in a 15 pack.. for TWO BUCKS less than three five packs. I bought FIVE.

Turns out, Walmart only stocks the 15 packs during deer season.. and noone here even hunts deer/elk with a shotgun.

So if you are playing along and like story problems.. how much money did I save?

Ultimate Wal-Mart goof: CASE of dove loads at check out counter.. that will be $X sir." "That can't be right," (I check my reciept). See here, this is wrong these shotshells..." "look sir it says right here on the box.. Hits it with the barcode scanner looking annoyed at me THREE NINETY SEVEN" (as if I am a moron from Mongo).

So Mongo got a CASE of shotshells for four bucks.

Hope she's still employed, I was tempted to go back and FILL a shopping cart with cases... Yeah I'll take TEN at that price. What planet would you be on that anything (even if you have no idea WHAT it is, that wieghs 15 pounds and lives in a box 2 feet by by a foot could possibly cost four bucks???"

But I digress.

Latest ammo story.. reputable shop, guy is buying a P-32. Guy wants some "shells", owner says.. well you might want to get some FMJ's, and some HP's. BECAUSE FMJ's are too long and might jam your gun, those hp's are shorter and they feed better. Don't carry those FMJ's.

OK I'm all for upselling a box of premium rounds. I'm all for telling the guy to practice. Telling a guy to stuff a .32 with a Gold dot if he's gonna "use it" borders on.. well.. you get what I'm saying. I wasn't about to step into a sale, tell off the owner or anything. But I sure was tempted. Hell if a pistol won't feed fmj's it's not gonna feed anything else either. Now, maybe I'm out of line with THAT particular pistol.

Highland Ranger
December 21, 2003, 07:44 AM
It was Michael Keaton in Mr Mom, not Teri Garr

He was refering to electrical service in his remodeling project: 220, 221, whatever it takes (Iforget what the second number was but it indicated he didn't know what he was doing.)

wingman
December 21, 2003, 08:25 AM
New world service, tough to find "good" service in any store now, not sure
if our "fine" public schools are the problem or people are just lazy. Point is
inform yourself on any item you wish to purchase or for sure you will lose.

Here it comes the old man thing, "it dident use to be that way" really.!

Zundfolge
December 21, 2003, 02:10 PM
It was Michael Keaton in Mr Mom, not Teri Garr

He was refering to electrical service in his remodeling project: 220, 221, whatever it takes (Iforget what the second number was but it indicated he didn't know what he was doing.)
True, Keaton said "220, 221 ... whatever it takes" but later in the movie he has a dream where his wife (Teri Garr) shoots him and Martin Mull asks her "what did you use" to which she replied "38, 39 ... whatever it took"

Why do I know this? :scrutiny:

Checkman
December 22, 2003, 09:39 AM
Zundfolge-

You know this because your life consists of guns and movies. Oh, I have to go, 48 Hours is playing on AMC. :D

Sunspot
December 22, 2003, 10:29 AM
All that being said, we used to have a discount/chain sporting goods store called Jumbo Sports. They had guys who only worked at the gun counter and actually knew what they were doing. I have to agree with you there. The store I went to knew there stuff.

The gun store is now use has all the surplus ammo on the floor in cases. You might say it's self service. If I get the wrong ammo, it's my fault.

45R
December 22, 2003, 11:45 AM
I asked for a box of .45ACP ammo on day and the guy at the counter handed me a box of .45gr .223 Remington.

Quartus
December 22, 2003, 12:14 PM
.45 gr?

POINT FOUR FIVE GRAINS?!?! :what:

Whoa, dude! Them's some small bullets!

What kind of velocity can you get with those out of a .223?

I presume it uses a sabot?

:D

vega
December 25, 2003, 04:50 PM
At Big 5, I asked for a box of 45ACP, the kid said they only carry Speer, CCI and PMC but no ACP brand. HE was willing to learn so I corrected him on that.

vega

9 m&m
January 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
Went into my local wal-mart reciently heres how it went:

"Can I get some 2 3/4in federal 12 gauge 000 buck?

"No we dont have any of that, *suprise* :scrutiny: , but will 20 gauge work?

I just walked off

9 m&m
January 10, 2004, 02:43 PM
.45 grain .223 bullet! dang thats gonna be fast!!! lets see average bullet velocity of .223 is 3200 fps with that small of a bullet it would be smokin around 144000 fps!!!!!!!! Gotta buy some!!!!!!!:what: ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "A real champ at the ammo counter..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!