Does anybody know of any auto pistols
equipped with ambidextrous manual safeties
AND ambidextrous magazine releases (or where
the magazine release is on the right side
of the frame)? I know the CZ83 .380 has
the dual ambidextrous safety and magazine release
features but are there any other auto pistols
out there with the same features?

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-automatic pistols for left-handers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
December 19, 2003, 09:05 AM
Rugers.

Deepdiver
December 19, 2003, 10:13 AM
I believe that the Beretta 92FS Compact "L" models (9mm) have ambi safety/decockers and the magazine release is easily reversable (instructions are in the operators manual). My 92 Compact L type "M" certainly has these features, so I think the straight "L" model does as well.

The only difference between the L and M is that the L has a 13 round double stack magazine and the M has an 8 round single stack magazine. Both have the short grip for better concealment, but the M (8 rounder, single stack) grips are narrower/thinner - more comfortable for smaller hands.

good luck,

DD

zahc
December 19, 2003, 10:24 AM
XD

sarge48
December 19, 2003, 10:27 AM
USP's?

Mike Irwin
December 19, 2003, 10:45 AM
The HK squeeze cockers qualify.

The mag release is on both sides (the PSPs have the European heel release, but that qualifies), and slide release can be effected simply by squeezing the grip.

Litlman
December 19, 2003, 10:53 AM
CZ 85 and 85c's.? I think.

10-Ring
December 19, 2003, 11:07 AM
The Beretta 92/96's have ambi safeties & the mag release can be easily switched or you could learn how to use your index finger. HK's (P7M8 & USP/USPc) are truely ambidextrous.

Walt Sherrill
December 19, 2003, 11:19 AM
The CZ 85 and 85 Combat have ambi controls for everything BUT the mag release. (The same is true for the 75B Single Action models, which are amb except for the mag release.)

Several of my shooting buddies are left-handed, and pretty good shooters.

They find the safety critical, the slide release nice, but an ambi-mag release not all that important. (They use a trigger finger to release the mag...)

I think the mag release can be switched on the 75B SA and maybe on the P-01; it can't be switched on the 75B (DA/SA,) 85 or 85 Combat. (The opening in the grip on the opposite side is shaped wrong.)

axeman_g
December 19, 2003, 11:59 AM
Baron Holbach4,

I am a lefty and I have been searching for and buying autoloaders and trying them and hating some and then lambasting many a gun manufacturer for not caring about the lefty shooter. First off, mag release IMO is better under your trigger finger anyway, so that never bothers me. Here is my list of Lefty guns and some of my findings ...

Real Guns

CZ 85: Totall ambi. Great gun, great value for money. If you can find one, this is a good purchase.

Ruger P: Series. Usually lefty friendly, just not ergonomic.

HiPowers: Fantastic gun, ambi safety, get the extended slide release. Nice sized and cheap hicaps worldwide.

1911: Get one already setup (CD makes the EMS now) or add ambi safety lever for $50 with lever, add extended slide release. I hate to say it, but this gun seems to work for most lefties. I have a Colt Combat Commander setup this way.

SW Autos: Many of the SW autos are lefty friendly and can be had for a song. I especially like the 1006 series guns ...

Beretta: All Beretti are ambi friendly. Find one you like ... if you can. I sort of like the Cougars ... I wish they all did not cost so much....

Star Firestar: and the Plus model, nice little 9mm guns with ambi controls. Just hard to find parts.

Plastic Guns

Walther/SW 99: Totally ambi except decocker is in funny spot for right hand to use. Expensive and pricey accessories. Never shot one ...

XD: Nice, just not great. Mine was only ok ... it was a.40.

Steyr m and s series: REALLY nice little gun with a growing fanbase. controls are ambi central, safety is inside trigger guard. I really liked mine and may pick one up again.

Glock: No controls, so no issues. Glock has become my evil vice. For years I have fought the pull, looked on them as horrid examples of the gunmakers craft. Then I bought one ... about to buy another. Then I think I might get another ....

Here is the issue ... I am tired of being left out. I want to find accessories, not have to pay extra for being right brained, be accepted. Glock seems to work on those levels. There are plenty of LH holster options, numerous add ons and toys to customize your glock. Plus, the guns do shoot well, very well. It still makes me sort of sick ...

There was my story ... there are autoloaders out there for lefties. You just have to go find them.

ZekeLuvs1911
December 19, 2003, 12:42 PM
How about a pistol for all you lefties out there?

http://www.dlask.com/

TonyB
December 19, 2003, 02:15 PM
Taurus PT's have ambi safeties.....but righty slidelock and nag release...I'm a lefty ,but have gotten used to righty guns......although it is REALLy hard dropping the mag w/ my G17 using my trigger finger(I have arthritis)....but it can be done........at this point I can't use alot of left handed stuff....like lefty scissors.........too much adapting i guess....:cool:

lee n. field
December 19, 2003, 04:16 PM
Not all Rugers. The P90 looks like the magazine release might be reversable, but isn't (at least mine, which is an early gun, isn't).

michiganfan
December 20, 2003, 06:34 AM
I am with Axeman G. Have ended up with three Glocks being my carry guns of choice. Glock 33, Glock 23 and Glock 29. Very left hand friendly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-automatic pistols for left-handers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!