MSG-91 Yeah or Nah?

PDA

giggitygiggity
November 5, 2010, 07:41 PM
Are the PTR91 rifles good or bad? It seems like most people like them and that their only complaint is that they are hard on brass. What is your opinion of the rifle? Specifically, I am looking at getting the MSG91 version. Is this a good sniper rifle platform? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "MSG-91 Yeah or Nah?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HorseSoldier
November 5, 2010, 08:04 PM
Actual PSG-1s are mediocre sniper rifles (at least in my hands on experience with them), so in that specialized role, I'd say, no.

stubbicatt
November 5, 2010, 09:06 PM
The MSG is a nice rifle. Try one out, pick it up and see if you like it. If you do, enjoy your choice.

marktx
November 5, 2010, 09:08 PM
The problem with current PTRs is they there are ammo picky which ruins one of the best features of the design. They can be very accurate but you might very limited in what you can shoot. The MSG version also seems to demand a significant premium as they are only available from one or two select dealers. The Arms Exchange is the only one that has them right now because of some exclusive deal and they are $2700+ regular though for the next couple weeks they are $2600. For that kind of money I would pay a few more bucks and get a LaRue OBR or a SCAR 17.

giggitygiggity
November 5, 2010, 09:16 PM
What do you mean by "ammo picky"? Do you mean it in the sense that they jam when fed with certain ammo or in the sense that they are accurate with only certain ammo types or a combination of the two? Thanks.

The PTR/MSG91 seems like a rifle that would interest me, but I don't want it if it's going to be a problem or malfunction. Thanks.

marktx
November 6, 2010, 12:02 AM
They have a tighter chamber and shallower chamber flutes that makes them more accurate but it also means that unless you use a very few types of ammo you can expect extraction issues.

Mine has been 100% trouble free but apparently it is from a batch that was done before the chambers were changed. If you do some Googling for PTR extraction problems you can find a lot.

stubbicatt
November 6, 2010, 07:09 AM
There have been a spate of reports of FTE with some surplus tar sealed ammunition. As I understand it recent barrels have been updated to limit this phenomenon.

Uncle Mike
November 6, 2010, 09:04 AM
Mine have been nothing but excellent in both accuracy and performance.

marktx
November 6, 2010, 09:48 AM
As I understand it recent barrels have been updated to limit this phenomenon.

Yes, if you buy the "GI" version

If you enjoyed reading about "MSG-91 Yeah or Nah?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!