Breaking in a new Savage FP 10 308

PDA

RBelott
November 5, 2010, 10:00 PM
I just purchased a new Savage FP 10 (308). I was just wanting to know how to break the barrel in right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a new Savage FP 10 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dubbleA
November 5, 2010, 10:13 PM
I come from the school of shoot it and shoot it some more. You might want to run a patch or two through the bore when accuracy falls off........ Your mileage will vary.;)

Damon555
November 5, 2010, 10:34 PM
25 years of shooting and I've never "broken in" a barrel....Clean it and shoot it. Don't waste your time and money. Shooting the rifle will accomplish the same thing.....

Robert Wilson
November 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
"Breaking in" is just the process of smoothing the bore by shooting it. This can be done all at once with any of the various methods, which generally entail some version of a little shooting and a lot of cleaning. If you're really interested, many barrel makers and even rifle makers list their personal preferences for break-in on their websites, and Google will give you all the information you could want.

If, as the above couple of posters, you aren't emotionally invested in "break in" you can just start shooting it, and clean it whenever accuracy starts to fall off. This will get you to the same place "break in" will; it just takes longer. You may meet folks who claim that not "breaking in" your barrel will ruin it. You can be confident that such advice is utter nonsense.

JDGray
November 6, 2010, 07:48 AM
I say just shoot it like everyone else has, and clean it when your range trip is over. A Friend of mine is a LE Sniper, hasn't cleaned his new Rem 700 yet, over 1000rds and it still shoots bugholes.

Uncle Mike
November 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
No break-in of your Savage barrel is necessary, depending on how 'rough' the bore is on that particular barrel, you may or may not experience accelerated fouling, that is, your groups will go south sooner, compared to a barrel with a 'smoother' finished bore.

The barrel should not be so rough that 'every' shot from the first to the last will be affected.

In any event, it makes not a hill of beans with that rifle.

RBelott
November 6, 2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you for all the info

jimmyraythomason
November 6, 2010, 10:15 AM
I come from the school of shoot it and shoot it some more. You might want to run a patch or two through the bore when accuracy falls off. I'm another graduate of that school. Class of 1971.

jem375
November 6, 2010, 10:57 AM
I don't break in all the barrels of rifles I own but there are some I do and will continue to do. I am not going to do the 20 one shot theory but will shoot 5 single cleanings and then a couple of 5 shots before cleaning and that should suffice for me.... smoothing out the barrel is nothing new and makes sense depending on the rifle and what you intend to do with it... And yes, on a new Savage FP 10, I would...

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a new Savage FP 10 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!