Remington 798 375 H&H

PDA

Buster95
November 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
The action on this rifle is a standard Mauser 98 (Zastava 98), will a standard 98 Mauser action work for a .375 H&H??? I know the longer H&H case requires to opened up the 98 action but is it safe? And with hot load?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 798 375 H&H" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
November 6, 2010, 11:24 PM
If I found one at a good price, I'd buy it. :) Not sure what you mean by a "hot load", but any factory or load from a reloading manual should be fine. The .375 H&H is a fairly sedate loading with a nice chunk of lead. :D

Maverick223
November 7, 2010, 02:46 PM
will a standard 98 Mauser action work for a .375 H&H??? I know the longer H&H case requires to opened up the 98 action but is it safe? And with hot load?It will "work", and you could even load it pretty hot, but it will not feed because of the magnum length. If it is a standard length action (AKA: "Long Action", for .30-06Spd OAL) then I would highly suggest the venerable 9.3x64mmBrenneke as a suitable substitute. It has very nearly the same ballistics (just a little lighter bullet, with slightly smaller diameter), but it was designed to fit the standard length action. It is quite a neat little cartridge and capable of taking any game that walks the earth (though I would be leery of using it for Elephant, Rhino, or Hippo). I have been trying to talk myself into one for some time now...but I just can't justify having both the Brenneke and my .375H&H Mauser (which isn't going anywhere anytime soon). What would be the desired game the rifle would be used for?

BTW, IMO it is best not to "hotrod" the .375H&H (or any other DG cartridge) because you want it to work every single time...and that means reliable extraction too (in 0-100% humidity and from -50 degrees to 125 degrees F). So while it is possible, I consider loading these cartridges hot to be too great a risk.

If I found one at a good price, I'd buy it.Me too, it is a fairly well made rifle...making it obvious that Remington had little to do with it. :neener:

dirtyjim
November 7, 2010, 03:34 PM
It will "work", and you could even load it pretty hot, but it will not feed because of the magnum length.
the one i just got through building feeds fine & its on a standard length receiver.
it requires some major smithing and some talent but it can and has been done thousands of times.
if you use bottom metal that is designed for the 375 H&H cartridge you will save yourself a lot of time in the feeding department. i used sound metal products bottom metal on mine, it ain't cheap at $400 shipped but its well worth it in the end.

opening up the action for a 375 H&H isn't a simple job and really needs to be done on a mill. it can be done on a drill press with a x-y table and a carbide burr but you still need to know what your doing or you will more than likely ruin the receiver.

there is a fine line between not feeding at all, feeding perfectly & the rounds popping out of the top of the action because you removed to much metal. set it up to feed the biggest bluntest bullet you plan on shooting and it will feed the others just fine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/big%20bore/375HHproject8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/big%20bore/375HHproject9.jpg

i still need to rust blue it and finish the stock but it feeds, extracts & ejects just fine

usmc1371
November 7, 2010, 03:48 PM
Dirtyjim, feel free to post up some pics of that beauty when its all finished up. Good looking 375.

My 375 is a very plain CZ 550 but it's a fun gun to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 798 375 H&H" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!