AR15A2 Recommendations

PDA

52grain
November 7, 2010, 01:35 PM
Looking at ARs. I want an AR15A2. I have been looking most heavily at Rock River Arms and Fulton Armory. I did a search and it looks like most of the people around here look at Rock River as a good bang for the buck. Haven't found much on Fulton.

I know that Armalite, Colt, and Shrubby are out there and all offer something along the lines of what I am looking for. Are there any other manufacturers that I should be looking at? Which manufacturers are going to be the closest in quality and features to USGI? (With the unhappy exception of the happy switch of course.)

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15A2 Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Creature
November 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
Does it absolutely have to be an A2? If not, I would recommend the BCM A4 Rifle Mod 1:

Bravo Company A4 link (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-rifle-s/146.htm)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM%20Complete%20Rifles/IMG_0384001_.jpg

Welding Rod
November 7, 2010, 02:43 PM
Rock River makes a nice A2, but it isn't really an A2 as it has a heavy barrel.

I like mine, and would take it over the BCM for range work (I have the BCM upper pictured above too). The heavy barrel and NM trigger make it a joy to shoot... as long as you aren't moving around too much. I have shot MOA with my RRA A2 and its chrome lined barrel. Based on my experience with other RRAs, I expect it is capable of better, but with iron sights at 44 years old that is simply the best I have been able to do.

If I was going to carry it around much, I would probably go with the BCM due to its lighter barrel, or perhaps have Adco turn down the RRA some. I don't care for after thought iron sights instead of an A2 reciever, but the BCM's government profile barrel is really nice if you are going to hump it around, and don't plan on slinging up very tight.

Something to keep in mind when shopping for an A2, the quality of the sights is very important. You want a front sight base that is not canted, a front post that doesn't wobble or lean, and that is cut squarely on all sides. The rear apetures should be centered on the flip leaf and cleanly cut. All sighting surfaces should have a smooth matt surface finish. The rear sight assembly should not sit oblique to the line of the bore. It should have minimal lateral play.

These are things that are super important to a good A2, yet are rarely talked about as they don't have a place on "the chart". With an A2 I would look at the sights closely. In my experience RRA does a real good job with their sights, particularly when compared to some of the other manufacturers. Just something to think about when all the "milspec" banter gets kicked about. The excellent "fit and finish" RRA is know for that for some odd reason gets made fun of on another web forum really pays dividends on a gun with iron sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15A2 Recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!