What is typical stance/rest for bagging a deer?

PDA

bushmaster1313
November 7, 2010, 06:54 PM
I don't hunt but like to shoot.
What stance and rest should I try at the range to see if I would be able to bag a deer at 100 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is typical stance/rest for bagging a deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KodiakBeer
November 7, 2010, 07:05 PM
Learn to use your sling as a support.

http://www.scottsknots.net/i//1002654mb.jpg

kaferhaus
November 7, 2010, 07:17 PM
depends on how you're going to hunt.... If you're still hunting from a stand get a stand with a rest on it. If you're stalk hunting then learn to use a sling, shooting sticks or my favorite...... the nearest tree.

I've shot most of my game offhand out to 250yds. anything further than that and most anyone NEEDS a rest of some sort.

CraigC
November 7, 2010, 07:45 PM
Offhand, with or without a sling, kneeling, sitting, prone, crouching, squatting, leaning against a tree, you name it.

R.W.Dale
November 7, 2010, 07:58 PM
If under 150 offhand

Longer than that if nothing us around to use as a rest I drop to the sitting position or cheat off a tree

TexasPatriot.308
November 7, 2010, 08:10 PM
I usually sit in a deer stand with a 12 pack of cold beer....works for me...mainly kill hogs though...

JDMorris
November 7, 2010, 08:16 PM
Drinking and guns dont mix. You shouldn't do that.
I have not gone deer hunting yet, But if you get a sling make sure you can wrap your arm around it. I have a leather sling I can't use for that reason.

DUNEZRUNNER
November 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
If I have time I will use the walking stick/rest that I have. If not I usually drop to a knee and shoot resting my elbow off of the other knee. This year I couldn't do that cause there was a little hill in front of me, luckily I had enough time to use my partners binocular tripod. It was really nice to have a good rest.

Thomas

TexasPatriot.308
November 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
did I say I chamberedd a round? at 57 I have killed more deer, hogs than most people on thise website will ever get to. I still, kill at least one hog a day, aint killed a deer in 12 years or care to, I fought in combat in the day if vets my age willknow what I mean....yes I do enjoy my beerand my hunting...to each his own.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is typical stance/rest for bagging a deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!