Rossi revolver problem

PDA

soonershooter
January 23, 2003, 05:54 PM
I recently came into a Rossi Model 68. It functioned fine for the first few rounds. Then the hammer began to stick in the down position and not rebound. The firing pin would stick in the aperture that allows it access to the primer. I know this is a little low brow for you serious 'smiths, but I would appreciate some help with a diagnosis. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi revolver problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Traveler
January 23, 2003, 07:33 PM
Since parts don't normally swell or grow my initial thought is that it is seriously out of time. Three things I can think of right off hand. First is that someone buggered up the insides. Second it's really dirty inside. and last somethings broken or installed wrong.

Will it function mechanically in a single action mode? If so it's probably a bad trigger job.

How sticky is the hammer? Do you need to force it back with your thumb, or is it just hard using the trigger? If it's harder to move using the trigger I'll again bet on a bad trigger job.

Does the hammer stick in the down position even when cycling the gun empty?

Can you feel any obvious hitches when cycling the action?

Jim K
January 23, 2003, 09:52 PM
The hammer nose might be damaged and is oversize for the firing pin hole. Try this: MAKE SURE GUN IS UNLOADED. Then dry fire it double action but don't let up on the trigger, keep holding it to the rear. Now, see if you can move the hammer back with your other hand. If it sticks, look at the hole and the firing pin (hammer nose) and see what might be wrong. If the hammer moves freely, then I agree with Traveler that it could be the victim of either no cleaning or a bad "gunsmith" job.

The latter is very possible. Rossi often had poor quality control and a lot of owners got out the screwdrivers and files. This, as a rule, did not make things any better.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi revolver problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!