Question about rebarreling.

PDA

JDMorris
November 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
How much would it cost to have a Krieger heavy target barrel put on my Howa 1500?
It currently has a sporter, and I want a heavy, I didnt want factory heavy, I want Upgraded heavy. so whats the overall cost for a barrel and fitting from them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about rebarreling." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
November 7, 2010, 09:07 PM
An SS #9 contour in .308 runs $295. Plus $270 to chamber and install it.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm?template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2529&CompanyId=1246

joed
November 7, 2010, 09:10 PM
Sunray gave you good info. I rechambered about 3 years ago with a Krieger match barrel on my Remington 700. The accuracy is unbelievable. Just called Friday for the price on another rifle. Krieger barrels are fantastic.

viking499
November 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
Does Howa have a standard thread pitch or is it a metric pitch?

JDMorris
November 7, 2010, 09:27 PM
Not sure. Im fine with barrel price, But, couldnt a gunsmith do it cheaper?
Wouldnt it just be easier to buy a remington SPS varmint? about 450 bucks.. but a whole gun.

joed
November 7, 2010, 09:55 PM
Not sure. Im fine with barrel price, But, couldnt a gunsmith do it cheaper?

Yes. I did not have the work done by Krieger and it was cheaper. I went to a place near my home that is known for building benchrest rifles. Dropped the gun off in November and was given 2 choices for barrels, hart and Krieger. I wanted Krieger from the beginning. The only thing I did not expect is I was told to get a stainless barrel and my gun is blue. Figured they knew what they were doing and took the suggestion of a stainless barrel. In May I received the phone call that the gun was ready.

The first outing I put 20 rounds through the gun. It produced about a 1" group. I wasn't thrilled and put it in the safe where it sat for 2 years. This summer I pulled it out of the safe and tried a different bullet and load. The gun rewarded me with a 5 shot group you can cover with a dime. So far I have 35 rounds through it and it seems to be getting even better.

The only thing I plan to do, and I'm in no hurry is to do the barrel with dura coat black.

I just called last week about having another gun done. This time I asked why stainless. I was told stainless lasts longer and is more accurate on average. Also it costs to have the carbon steel barrel blued. The smith told me they have not sold a blued barrel in the last 2 years. The way my rifle shoots now I don't care if the barrel is pink, it's accurate.

Another benefit, and I don't know if it's because of Krieger or the stainless is cleanup is a breeze. It takes 2 patches to clean the bore, and believe me it's not all that dirty.

Can't remember what I paid to have the work done but it was worth it in my opinion.

dubbleA
November 7, 2010, 11:01 PM
IMHO If you change the barrel you might as well true the action and bolt, install a aftermarket recoil lug, install a better trigger and stock.

Or...invest what you would spend on that in trigger time, ammo and better optics and wear the factory barrel first.

BrocLuno
November 8, 2010, 12:36 AM
What's the matter with a factory heavy barrel? It's not a Krieger, but a Howa barrel is nothing to sneeze at. And fitting it will likely be faster, therefor cheaper :)

JDMorris
November 8, 2010, 09:02 AM
I have a factory sporter that shoots .5 MOA. and they dont sell factory barrels, just barreled actions.
I think Im going to leave the rife the way it is, and buy a remington SPS varmint.

kaferhaus
November 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
I think Im going to leave the rife the way it is, and buy a remington SPS varmint.

You my friend are a smart man....

used Howa's bring 3-350 bucks top. Put 500 or more into a custom barrel and you have a 500 buck rifle when it comes time to move on to something else.

Howa's have forged barrels which are generally quite accurate.... a Howa barreled action in a varmint contour would be much cheaper than having your rifle re-barreled.

Even though I make good money doing barrel work I always tell any potential customer of the pitfalls of spending that kind of money on a factory action... Everyone thinks they'll never sell that gun or if they do it will be many many years down the road. The truth is that almost never happens and within a couple years they're ready to move on to something else and take a severe beating on re-sale.

What's "custom" to you will always be "some other guys toy of unknown quality" to the guy interested in buying it.

Again, smart move on your part.

November 8, 2010, 06:55 PM
Another benefit, and I don't know if it's because of Krieger or the stainless is cleanup is a breeze. It takes 2 patches to clean the bore, and believe me it's not all that dirty.

Krieger barrels are polished to 16 microns or thereabouts. Also, they have four lands and grooves. Either way, they simply don't foul, and as you say, they're very easy to clean. I run an oiled patch through mine after shooting, followed by a few passes with a nylon brush, followed by a clean oiled patch ... done!

Another thing I've noticed with Krieger barrels is that cold bore "fouling" shots go where they're supposed to. A few weeks back, my first sighter at 300 yards out of a lightly oiled and clean barrel was an X. The X-ring is 1.4" in diameter. That's accuracy you can count on.

I always tell any potential customer of the pitfalls of spending that kind of money on a factory action ... Everyone thinks they'll never sell that gun or if they do it will be many many years down the road. The truth is that almost never happens and within a couple years they're ready to move on to something else and take a severe beating on re-sale.

I've put Krieger barrels on two factory Remington actions and I ain't selling either of them! They shoot WAY too good for that! Also, I've put way too much work into both of them to sell them. I have one of them just the way I want it and the other is almost there.

:)

JDMorris
November 8, 2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I decided, my Howa has been perfect, even though it will never be able to fire fast strings, It's more accurate than most rifles that I see. .5MOA is good if you ask me.
I think I want a 700 varmint in .223 or .243..

WYcoyote
November 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
If that Howa shoots .5" groups I would definitely NOT mess with it.

JDMorris
November 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
Howa's are extremely accurate rifles, the shooters... typically are not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about rebarreling." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!