Plastic Box to contain partial .22 LR brick?

PDA

wacki
November 7, 2010, 08:53 PM
After a visit to the range I will often have leftover .22LR from my 500-555 round brick. Ziplock bags work most of the time but I'd rather not have the other heavy stuff in my range bag bang against rimfire cartridges. Any good suggestions on stiff containers to hold leftover .22LR rounds once the brick is open?

If you enjoyed reading about "Plastic Box to contain partial .22 LR brick?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jojo200517
November 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
If you are that paranoid about it look around ya range trash cans and see if ya can spy any of the 100 round packs that 22's also come in, the plastic ones with a little slide lid. You could put them in each hole if you really wanted to, or just pop the little piece with the holes out and dump them in the box below.

You could just put them back in the box they came in or start shooting more :D

7.62 Nato
November 7, 2010, 09:29 PM
I don't like the bulk boxes because once opened I always spill them. I saved a couple Monster Energy drink cans with the screw off lid. Now I put the ammo in the can before I even go to the range. Makes for easier dispensing too.

wacki
November 7, 2010, 10:01 PM
I don't like the bulk boxes because once opened I always spill them. I saved a couple Monster Energy drink cans with the screw off lid. Now I put the ammo in the can before I even go to the range. Makes for easier dispensing too.

That's a great idea. Glad to see someone else knows where I'm coming from. Picking up .22LR from the bottom of your range bag (or worse, the trunk of your car) can be a pain in the butt.

wacki
November 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
I have some old non-BPA free nalgene bottles I may donate to the cause. About twice as big as I need but it'll work.

Edit: i have a Camelbak (25 fl. oz) better bottle w/ a broken sipper. Still a bit bigger than a brick but it'll definitely do the trick. And it's transparent!

greyling22
November 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
tupperwear

geologist
November 17, 2010, 10:39 PM
Washed out and dried plastic pop bottles.

offroaddiver
November 17, 2010, 11:09 PM
22's fit great in empty plastic liquor bottles. There's always empty boxes at the range.

CapnMac
November 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
I got tired of the partial small boxes left over from testing which ammo each .22lr liked best, and invested a buck or two in an MTM box from midway (or at a gun show, I forget). It hold a grab-bag of loose, for plinking only, ammo which is handy and neat, and keeps range bag lint off the ammo and the snap-down lid fits nice and tight.

Never tested it, but it'd probably hold most of a brick, were it empty.

jhansman
November 18, 2010, 12:26 AM
I'm partial to the plastic containers that luncheon meats come in (Hillshire Farm, e.g.). I use them for many things in my reloading room, and the small ones fit in my range bag nicely. Fairly durable too, if you don't mistreat them.

Mot45acp
November 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
I use Gatorade bottles or a Crown Royal bag.

bigfatdave
November 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
Ziplock makes a screw-lid plastic jar, I use the older ones from the kitchen as utility containers.

Or you could just keep an eye out for a packaging/shipping container that fits the bill ... something will pass through soon enough.

soloban
November 22, 2010, 10:53 PM
Try your OfficeDepot or Staples for containers that hold things like binder clips, paper clips, etc..

Walkalong
November 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=384876

Works great. Once I open the bulk pack, they go in one of these.

As an aside, remember when a brick was ten boxes in a big box?

TH3180
November 22, 2010, 11:05 PM
Just shoot them all. That's what I do.

MrWesson
November 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
I must be gentle but I just use the brick until I run out and I usually shoot the same type of ammo so I just combine into the new box. I had a box give out on me once and I just super glued the bottom back together. I couldnt say how many 500rd bulk boxes I have bought but ill just say alot :D.

Matt018
November 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have some CCI .22 boxes and just fill them up before I shoot.

bigfatdave
November 25, 2010, 02:43 PM
remember when a brick was ten boxes in a big box?
Well, that's what I call a brick.
I mostly shoot bulk boxes, containing about 550 rounds of loose ammo, if it isn't a rigid brick-shaped package, it isn't really a brick, but I knew what the OP meant.

wacki, the latest solution was to baggie up the leftover ammo from a much-abused box, and toss that baggie into a leftover centerfire pistol ammo box (I think it was 9mm mak, but whatever you can scavenge from the range trash or your own leftovers works)

Another thought would be to use a more compartmentalized rigid range luggage. I use a 4-level toolbox with ammo in the big bottom section, and nothing goes down there but squared-off boxes, the other sections contain the odd-shape items that would tear up a bulk box. I still normally don't have trouble with boxes falling apart before emptied, in fact I often use perfectly good bulk boxes to pack up reloadable brass when I have an empty one and am cleaning up the range.

If you can't seem to get the bulk boxes empty, putting a selection of .22LR guns on the table along with leftover ammo and telling your range buddies to make it go away generally helps.

rcmodel
November 25, 2010, 02:53 PM
remember when a brick was ten boxes in a big box? Yea!
I can remember when top of the line SD handgun ammo had 50 rounds in a box too!

Now, it's 20 or 25 at four times the price per round.

rc

jmr40
November 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
I carry 22 ammo in used prescription bottles. They are small enough to fit easily in a pocket. The childproof cap won't let them dump out and I can carry enough for a days hunting.

tding
November 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Try your OfficeDepot or Staples for containers that hold things like binder clips, paper clips, etc..
The Office Depot "very useful boxes" are terrific. I store lubed cast bollets in them.

W.E.G.
November 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
Carry your ammo to and from the range in an AMMO CAN.

AMMO CANS don't get squashed.

AMMO CANS don't open accidentally.

AMMO CANS don't leak.

trickyasafox
November 25, 2010, 09:16 PM
I usually only have 1 brick / bulk box open at a time. I've never had the box give out on me- but I do collect the old Mini-mag boxes I find at the range so I have durable plastic boxes intended for 22 lr.

PearlJam
November 28, 2010, 02:36 AM
I use the plastic boxes that CCIs come in (100 ct.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Plastic Box to contain partial .22 LR brick?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!