New to reloading, how does this sound?

PDA

GLOOB
November 8, 2010, 02:00 AM
I finally ran out of guns I "needed" to buy. So I spent some money on reloading equipment, instead. Here are the loads I put together, based on some info I found on the interwebs.

9mm luger: 124 grain plated TMJ bullets over 3.9 grains of Unique, OAL 1.069"

.45 ACP: 230 grain plated FMJ over 5.9 grains of Unique, OAL 1.265"

.357 magnum: 158 grain plated HP over 6.6 grains of Unique, OAL 1.59"

I know about possible issues with leading using plated bullets. I'll keep an eye out for that. But how do these sound? If there's anything looks very wrong, let me know before I shoot them tomorrow!

I'm a little worried that I went too light on the 9mm loads. I was originally going to start with 4.5 grains, with an OAL closer to 1.15". But they wouldn't chamber in one of my guns until I snugged them down to 1.07," so I backed off on the charge.

Edit: also, when I pulled the 9mm bullet charged with 4.5 grains, I was surprised to see a light crimp groove in the bullet. I used the Lee FCD per instructions (1/2 turn), and the cartridge walls appears straight with just the bell on the lip removed. But the crimp action definitely put a lot more pressure than when I crimped the .45, which I couldn't even feel in the press. So I wonder if I over-crimped them?

If you enjoyed reading about "New to reloading, how does this sound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
November 8, 2010, 08:21 AM
Without consulting a load book, you look fine. (I assume you have)

You will not get leading with plated bullets. That's part the reason for using them. Don't know why you think you might.

skipjack
November 8, 2010, 09:06 AM
You might be a little light on the 9mm, and a little warm on the 357.

Alliant powder has a reloader's guide online.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

I use lead data for plated bullets. I reload commercially, and have loaded
tens of thousands of them. You will not get leading, unless you overcrimp
and break the plating. Even then, you run little risk of leading.

The data you are using for your 357 seems ok with jacketed, so I doubt you will blow up your gun.
You may have some copper to remove in the barrel, though.

The 9mm will be weak, probably, but will not damage anything.

I also subscribe to loaddata.com, which is one of the most useful reloading
websites available. If you are going to reload much, you may want to check them out.

Congratulations on taking the next step in your shooting career! It won't
save you money, but you will be able to shoot more for less money and become much more proficient.

MrOldLude
November 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hmm, I personally load to 1.135" in my G19. But if 1.069 doesn't drop below the minimum OAL, and it feeds, great.

GLOOB
November 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
MrOldLude: these bullets are full width for most of their length. So when loaded to a longer OAL, my Glock would still swallow them up, but they won't chamber in my DP-51.

skipjack: Thanks. I had consulted Alliant's webiste. They listed 5.8 grains as max for 124 grain luger. But I didn't find anyone else recommending anywhere near that much, and there's very little empty space in the case even at 3.9 grains when the bullets are seated. So I just hope these loads are strong enough to cycle the action on my pistols.

soloban
November 8, 2010, 08:07 PM
Would help to know the intended firearm. Some folks may have already developed pet loads for the same firearm.

mdi
November 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
Get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading handbook. All the reloading questions are answered there and Lyman's had recepies.

skipjack
November 8, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi Gloob,

I checked on loaddata for you. They list loads from Speer reloading
manual number 14 for tmj, ucsp (?) and gdhp as the following:

Start load 5.2 grains of Unique

Max load 5.8 grains of Unique

The above loads use a CCI 500 primer and were tested in a
S&W 5906. COL is listed at 1.169 max. The max load was
clocked at 1180 fps, so there are no flies on it.

The alliant site lists the gold dot as their only choice. It is interesting
that the Speer manual seems to treat jacketed and tmj the same way.
I have always followed Berry's advice to load them with data for lead
bullets.

noylj
November 8, 2010, 11:36 PM
1) COLs appear short. You may loading to the manual's minimum COL.
2) If you are getting your loads off the web, stop and buy at least two manuals.
3) If you crimp the plated bullets and damage the plating, you will lose accuracy and you may get copper and lead fouling
4) Right now, you can find specials on real jacketed bullets for what a plated bullet costs and they are MUCH better. All I shot are cast, but if I had some money, I would buy jacketed bullets in bulk (6000 bullets)

Hondo 60
November 8, 2010, 11:37 PM
Here are the loads I put together, based on some info I found on the interwebs.

Does this mean you don't have any reloading manuals?
If so, you are not being intelligent.

99.9% of the posters here will tell you, you need more than one reloading manual, in fact the more the merrier.

Why would you trust your life to "info found on the interwebs"? You do realize anyone with a coupla dollars in
their pocket can have a website & post any dang thing they want, right?

The ABCs of Reloading & Lyman's 49th are just two of the best. Please be safe!

GLOOB
November 9, 2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for any and all feedback and advice. All my reloads worked 100% great. The 9mm and .357 felt just a skosh softer than factory (plenty of kick on the .357, still!). The brass looks good. No signs of overpressure.

The biggest difference was that my .45 hand loads were much, much cleaner than the Remington UMC and Fiocchi ammo I have been shooting up till now. I've heard that Unique is considered dirty, so I am curious to try Winchester 231. This is the first time in over a year where I have shot a box of ammo through my .45 that didn't leave the muzzle covered in white film. I have cleaned all the guns, and there was no detectable fouling of the bores (including 2 Glock polygonal barrels).

The alliant site lists the gold dot as their only choice. It is interesting
that the Speer manual seems to treat jacketed and tmj the same way.
I have always followed Berry's advice to load them with data for lead
bullets.
I could be wrong, but I read somewhere's that Berrys (and that happens to be the bullet I am using) recommends following recipes for mid-range jacketed bullets, not lead. So that was what I aimed for.

1) COLs appear short. You may loading to the manual's minimum COL.
Yes, I was worried about this. When my first attempts wouldn't chamber, I did some more research. If I hadn't read that the minimum OAL for a 124 grain Gold Dot is listed as 1.055" I probably wouldn't have proceeded, at all. Since the Gold Dot is longer than these, I went ahead and gave it a try.

No, I didn't buy any reloading manuals, yet. But I checked the Alliant site and many online sources before trying to work up any loads. I made sure all loads were lighter than Alliant's recommendations, and I checked that my Lee powder scale agreed with my other precision scale. And because of the OAL worry, I went much lighter on the 9mm. All went well.

:):):):)

skipjack
November 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
I'm glad it worked out. I think you are correct about Berry's advice.
I may have gotten that from Ranier or some other manufacturer...

231 is what most of my amigos use, and it is a good powder. I have been on a
Winchester Autocomp kick for the past year. It is very versatile and burns
clean. It is slower than 231.

Hodgdon has a really good reloading site, as well. I may be in the minority,
preferring to use the web to obtain data, but only do so from trusted sources.
I trust any powder manufacturer's website and technical help is always a
phone call away. I have numerous manuals, most are pretty old and info can
change.

Cherokee
November 9, 2010, 10:21 AM
I would suggest you get the Lyman #49 koading manual for the reloading information it contains, not just the load data. I use a lot of 231, good powder for 9mm & 45 ACP and works in 357 for less than max type loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to reloading, how does this sound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!