Where do you shoot your rifles?

PDA

InkEd
November 9, 2010, 10:25 AM
I do my pistol shooting at an indoor range. They allow 5.56 but only one day a week and with expensive frangible ammo. The only outdoor range near me is a private club and membership is rather expensive.

I was wondering where you guys shoot your centerfire rifles?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you shoot your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
group17
November 9, 2010, 10:29 AM
Have a rod and gun club with a out door range that only charges $25 a year. You can pretty much shoot anything there. Not very often in the winter.

possum
November 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
i shoot my handguns, and ar (with .22 conversion kit) at the indoor range 5 minutes from my house.

I shoot .223/5.56, shotgun and ak at a range that is outdoor and free, about 40 minutes from my house.

sansone
November 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
behind my store.. 125yd single lane range for "smithy" work

InkEd
November 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
Do alot of "test firing" do ya?

GBExpat
November 9, 2010, 11:03 AM
Where do you shoot your rifles?

My back patio, primarily ... sometimes I walk over to the farm ... and, yes, I realize how very lucky I am. :)

millertyme
November 9, 2010, 11:09 AM
InkEd, you sound like you live in my neck of the woods. I swear those are about the same rules I have at my local indoor range and the nearest outdoor shooting range is pretty expensive, plus you have to have a background check.

Dr T
November 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
The rifle club (60 miles from the house) or the ranch (765 miles from the house). When I go, I tend to make a day of it...

doubleh
November 9, 2010, 11:58 AM
I usually shoot at the gunclub range which is 20 miles away. You can shoot whatever you want as long as it's legal to own. Backstops and target frames out to 400 yards and miles of empty country behind it so it's safe. Cheap at $35 a year. Some times I go to a caliche pit which is a little closed when just plinking with .22 rimfire and handguns. Used to shoot the .22s at home but too many people have have moved in close by so it's no longer safe to do so.

lions
November 9, 2010, 12:03 PM
In my backyard.

ssyoumans
November 9, 2010, 12:08 PM
Free Ga DNR outdoor ranges. Ga has about 8 of them scattered over the state. One has 12 lanes of 84 yards, the other has 10 lanes of 50 yards and 10 lanes of 100 yards. They can be crowded on weekends, so best to go after work, which is no longer an option now that it gets dark at 5:30. Ranges close at dusk or 7pm, whichever comes first.
Both have range officers, funded by our hunting licenses?

Z-Michigan
November 9, 2010, 12:12 PM
1) Rifle club at which I'm a member, $80/year, great club but almost 40 miles from my house. (However, there are 4 other clubs that are closer, I simply happen to like this one.)

2) About 40 yards out from my basement walkout, into a big sand berm we had brought in for this purpose. Oh it's nice. :) I live on a small farm in a farming area.

3) We have free DNR ranges that are decent facilities but the rules are very restrictive (single loading only for many guns) and they still attract unsafe idiots despite such rules. I haven't used a DNR range since joining a private club.

ChefJeff1
November 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
There is an outdoor range on BLM land that is free and about `10 minutes drive.

Everyone, please remember to clean up your used targets and stuff.

MTMilitiaman
November 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
Here in Montana, we are fortunate enough to have access to a good deal of public land that is unpopulated enough to be safe and legal to shoot in. So basically, I've never in my life in this state been in a position where I couldn't drive 30 minutes in any direction, pull out a rifle, and start shooting. This is where we did a lot of long range shooting with our hunting rifles, various semi-autos, and the AR-50 seen in the bottom pic. Seen here is the view down my M1A at the 16"x32" brown cardboard torso target I was shooting with iron sights about 600 yards down the right hand treeline.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/Guns/600yardperch.jpg

And my grandpa owns some property, and has a 200 yard shooting range cut through the trees on the flat next to his house. Here my cousin is touching off 210 gr of powder under a 750 gr Amax in my bro's AR-50. It's New Year's Day, and he's going into the year with a 'bang!" Note the muzzle brake cover flying off the bench!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/New%20Years%20Day%202008/Zachshooting50calBOOM.jpg

BTW, that would be the minimum amount of ear protection you'd want with that thing--it will rock your world!

Vern Humphrey
November 9, 2010, 12:40 PM
My back patio, primarily ... sometimes I walk over to the farm ... and, yes, I realize how very lucky I am.
Same here -- but I shoot from my front porch, across the pasture.

InkEd
November 9, 2010, 12:53 PM
Must be nice. (sigh)

CTPhil
November 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
Front porch or in the driveway.

EmbarkChief
November 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
At our farm, its about 120 miles from where I live.

HOWARD J
November 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
DNR free range--70 miles from home--6 cartridges allowed.
strict rules---makes a safe place.

dennisuello
November 9, 2010, 02:49 PM
Load up my rifles in the truck and head North/East/South/West, set my targets against a good backstop (hill/washout/canyon/etc) and pull the trigger.

mgmorden
November 9, 2010, 02:56 PM
Public (State DNR provided) range about 8 miles from the house. It's got 5 benches and one standing area for shooting handguns. Only 100 yards, but it's free to use and usually ok, albeit a bit crowded sometimes. There used to be a second range about the same distance but in the other direction from my house, but it got closed down due to excessive garbage left on the premises (people would take computer monitors, refridgerators, etc out there and shoot them, then just leave them lying on the range). It's a shame, as the people doing that sort of thing are also the ones who would care the least about the range getting closed.

Oh well. There's an indoor handgun-only range that's a bit farther (about 30 miles) if the 2nd public range gets closed. No clue on where I'd go to shoot the rifles though.

KodiakBeer
November 9, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've got about a half million square miles of public rifle range surrounding me.

Tom609
November 9, 2010, 03:07 PM
Southern NJ is still pretty rural (unfortunately, it is still in NJ), and I live in a good area. I belong to two outdoor clubs with controlled entry - one is a 15 minute drive (two stop signs), the other 30 minutes. I can access both of them 7 days a week. One has a better pistol range, the other a better rifle range. For longer distances, the Fort Dix range is available and is also about a 30 minutes drive.

I do envy those of you that can go out on your porch. Maybe when the Dow hits 16,000 and I retire...:)

WoofersInc
November 9, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have a new shooting park about a mile from the house. It is still building. They only have the first phase done, which has a 25 bay trap range, covered handgun out to fifty yards, and rifle that goes out to 200. Eventually they will have rifle ranges out to 1200 yards.

When long range is need now, or just having fun I have lots of BLM land all around me.

deafdave3
November 9, 2010, 04:07 PM
Public shooting range on a Wildlife Management Area. Dad and I are plannin' to go this afternoon to sight in our rifles.

Hatterasguy
November 9, 2010, 04:23 PM
Private rod and gun club, its the least expensive option around here. Dues are $450 a year.

trultemor
November 9, 2010, 04:47 PM
Anywhere in the woods :D
With supressed shooting about 5min to drive.

coloradokevin
November 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
I guess I have it better than some folks, and worse than others. I belong to a club that's about 35 minutes from my house. They have rifle to about 600 yards, plus a pistol and shotgun setup. I also have access to the National Forest and National Grassland areas, though it is sometimes tough to find a great area to shoot up there, at least within an hour drive of my house.

I'm truly envious of the folks who can shoot from their house, and if I ever escape from suburbia, my goal is to buy a house that comes with land suitable for shooting :)

swiftak
November 9, 2010, 04:52 PM
Back yard, woods behind house or old sandpit down the road.

gotzero
November 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
Private club about 60 miles away. 600yd rifle range with longer under construction, pistol ranges and pits, all in all a great place. I generally head down every other week and like some others have said, make a day of it.

I am a member of two private pistol ranges very close to where I live, but they are 50ft and 25yd ranges with velocity limits.

Mr_Pale_Horse
November 9, 2010, 05:13 PM
@ http://www.machinegunshoot.com/

and Springdell Farm,

Bullitt County Kentucky

Tim the student
November 9, 2010, 05:43 PM
Got one 50/100 yd range about 15 minutes from my house, a 25/100/200 bout 20 minutes away, and a 50/100/300 bout an hour away. All are free, and run by the various county conservation boards.

caribou
November 9, 2010, 08:05 PM
Off my front porch, and often out my bedroom window, out to the tundra, where I have variuos targets a awaiting my bordom......~~LOL!!~~

Flash!
November 9, 2010, 08:16 PM
private club range..... we have 5 yard to 300 yard targets.... the main rules are no full auto and no alcohol.... I can deal with that..... membership is $75 per year.... open 365 days a year.....

November 9, 2010, 08:22 PM
I shoot pistol and rifle on two military ranges and a public range. All of the ranges are within a 1/2 hour drive. One of the military ranges has reactive targets and static targets out past 1000 yards. The other military range has static targets out to 600 yards but will have a 1000 yard range by the end of the year. The public range has pistol, shotgun, CAS, IPSC, silhouette, etc and a rifle range out to 200 yards for paper targets and around 400 yards for steel. Not too bad really.

:)

soloban
November 9, 2010, 09:59 PM
Free AL DNR Range about 25 min from the house. Only complaint is people dont pick up their spent shotgun shells, steel cased ammo, and garbage they drag down range to shoot at. Two 100 yard ranges, 1 50 yd, and 1 25 yd.

A and O
November 9, 2010, 10:07 PM
5 miles away as the crow flies, 15 miles up and around and back down again to the the "Spot".

TexasPatriot.308
November 9, 2010, 10:22 PM
I run cattle on about 3500 acres total....thats my shooting range...:)

dubbleA
November 9, 2010, 11:16 PM
I own a few acres and have my own private range, shoot right out of my reloading room.....day, night, rain or shine out to 600 yards. 850 yds if I get out of the reloading room right now, I still have some dozing to do.

wrs840
November 9, 2010, 11:45 PM
On my 110 acres, or my neighbor and farming partner's 260 acres. Yeah, Western and Alaska guys, us Easterners have pitiful little spreads...

Les

Ignition Override
November 10, 2010, 03:13 AM
Into the Loosahatchie River, about ten minutes from Lakeland, TN, on the edge of Bartlett/Memphis. The local guys shoot there every day.
Look, the much-feared ATF has much Bigger "fish to fry".

I never touched a gun (just pellet-) from 1985 until 2007, because we lived in Memphis and I assumed that nobody had access to such a semi-rural river area.
Even though the nice range-MSSA-is only two miles from the place, the river is much more fun.

GBExpat/MT-: You guys are very fortunate. It can beat the hell out of shooting in the UK and Germany, based upon what friends (from there) tell me.

SpeedAKL
November 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Green with envy here!

I normally shoot at the NRA headquarters range in Fairfax. Its indoors and only 50 yards, but its about the nicest indoor range i've ever seen and it allows everything up to .460 Weatherby. There's another nice 50yd indoor range called Silver Eagle in Ashburn that is friendly in terms of high-powered rifles. As for outdoor ranges, they're all private:(. The nicest one is the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, but that has a big wait list and costs several grand per year.

Art Eatman
November 10, 2010, 11:33 AM
100 yards? Benchrest on my front porch. I gotta walk 30 yards to the shooting table if I want to reach out to 500. Pistol range behind the house. Claybirds most any old where. :)

CraigC
November 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
Backyard! :D

aka108
November 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Both Elko and Tallahassee have very nice ranges. Elko has pistol bays, a 50yd rimfire rifle range, a 300 yd range, 600 yd range and in near future out to 1,000 yd. 300 yard range is covered and has benches. The Tallahassee range is in the Apalachicola Natl. Forest. Covered benches. Pistol range goes out to 50 yds. Rifle range maxes at 100 yds. Both are public and have no charge for using.

doubleh
November 10, 2010, 12:50 PM
If I want to drive at least 30 miles and beyond anywhere from slightly southwest to slightly north west and darn near anywhere between those two points I have access to millions of acres of state, BLM, and National Forest land. Pick nearly any spot and you are good to go.

Frankl03
November 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
I shoot at a private club: Pioneer Gun Club about 35 minutes from my house. They have a 100/200 yard rifle range, a 25, 50 and 100 yard range, a trap range and several pistol bays with NRA action shooting. As well they have an indoor range open 24 hrs a day for members which is about 20 minutes from the house. Dues are $150 a year. Its a great club with lots of things going on.

I love shooting falling plates with my Mkiii.

cmat
November 10, 2010, 04:32 PM
The mountains

bhk
November 10, 2010, 05:37 PM
Offhand twenty-twos into a bullet trap from my patio. For bench work and centerfire shooting I have to walk about 45 yards from the house to my 50 yard range. For long range shooting I have a conservation range about 15 minutes away. Life is rough.

Al Mack 1
November 11, 2010, 01:20 AM
Public range maintained by parks department 10 minutes from home.

Ignition Override
November 11, 2010, 01:31 AM
My wife has been Briefed, that if we move for retirement (several years), we will live within a convenient drive of outdoor shooting, country boy style. Not kidding about that.

Might be near Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville etc, but willing to pay a land owner a case of beer each month for easy, quick access to a small river, swamp or pond.
Would really like the chance to shoot military rifles with "hickok45", of Youtube fame:).

doc2rn
November 11, 2010, 01:45 AM
InkEd if your in KS your pretty much out of luck unless you rent a parcell of land outside of urban developement which you can rent for about $20/mo. or you can befriend a farmer. Offer to help durring bailing season for permission to shoot usually works.

ECVMatt
November 11, 2010, 01:54 AM
One lucky thing that we do have here in CA is 100's of miles of BLM desert. We can just pick a spot and have at it. We always clean up our area and what was left from others. We never shoot glass or trash items. It is great and you can shoot at a targets as far as you can see them. All of this is within one or two hours of the beach.

justgoto
November 11, 2010, 02:27 AM
In the field across the pasture.

teetertotter
November 12, 2010, 08:34 PM
Private outdoor/indoor 10 minute drive with all kinds of sanctioned competitive shooting including Cowboy Action. Archery range included. Another indoor private 50 foot range 5 minutes away. I like .22 rifle off hand competition with scope. I'm in a lucky location for my needs.

five.five-six
November 12, 2010, 08:42 PM
I like to shoot in the boondocks it's about a 2 hour drive each way. I have a couple ranges about 90 minutes away as well, either way I tend to make a day out of it, and a week of cleaning my guns afterward

Erik M
November 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
Southeast Kentucky. There are reclaimed surface coal mines everywhere. I have what you could call a 'big' back yard as well.

eastbank
November 13, 2010, 07:05 AM
this is the range i use in pa. 1000yds rifle,two pistol ranges,one trap range,one five stand and archey range. eastbank.

dodge
November 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
The rod and gun club that I'm a member of has a rifle range out to 300 yards and a pistol range out to 25 yards. Membership $15 a year and I'm the vice president and you don't have to be a member to shoot. 5 minutes from my house. 6 of the 8 benches at the rifle range are under cover and the other 2 should be done next year as finances allow. If you are a member you're given the combination to the shooting house which has 6 more benches. This is work in progress as time and money allows us to finish the work.

Redneck with a 40
November 13, 2010, 02:14 PM
National forest about 15 minutes from our place, open field with a tree line and a large rise at the end, I can go out to 300 yards with the .308.

788Ham
November 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
A range about 20 min. from the house, members only, sight-ins open to public for seasonal hunting times. 15 covered benches, 100-200 yds., 25 yd. pistol range, trap range, and a separate range for police/LE to qual. on.

Justin Holder
November 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
Never been to a public range in my life.

I walk 75 yards to my shooting bench with targets from 25 to 300 yards, and a little further if I like.

I can shoot out any window and or door in my house and anywhere else I want to on our 500 acres.

tactikel
November 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
I shoot at The Illinois State Rifle Association range (63 miles from my house). On days I work second shift I go down shoot for 4 hours and get home in time for work. I also shoot at out cabin in NE Wis. 28000 acres of public land out our back door.

NWCP
November 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
I belong to a local gun club that has a rifle range out to 200 yards. It's only $75/yr. for the wife and I which is a good deal. It's only a 40 minute drive from the house. They've all but closed any BLM land in my area so having a private club with covered shooting benches is nice.

groundhog34
November 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
The town I live 8 miles from, population 800, has a range set up for anyone who wants to shoot anything anytime. One of the benefits of living in rural Alabama.

2ndAmFan
November 13, 2010, 09:53 PM
I shoot on just about any part of my land I feel like shooting on. I live on 90 acres and can shoot from my porch, driveway, out in the one relatively flat and clear field where I can get about 300 yds range, or just about anywhere on the land as long as I'm not shooting over/through a neighbor's fence. And yes, I know I'm very fortunate to have a place like this where I can shoot and hunt.

JDMorris
November 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
At the gunclub where i work. has 12 pistol pits that are 25 yrds.
a bullseye pistol range out to 50 yrds.
and a rifle range out to 300 yards.

Col. Plink
November 13, 2010, 10:19 PM
Austin Rifle Club. High power range to 200yds and a huge pistol range, with smaller bays for defensive pistol events. I like frequently being the only one there and shooting three distances from one bench. There's also a cool 'ghost town' bar nearby with knife throwing!

ralph2
November 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
On BLM land across highway. Move to Nevada we have tons of foreclosed properties cheap !

Palehorseman
November 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
In our quarter million acre backyard.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/P1010023_op_800x600.jpg

JDMorris
November 14, 2010, 12:49 AM
man if you got a .300 win mag or a really nice .308 build you could stretch your legs out there..

Ignition Override
November 14, 2010, 01:20 AM
eastbank:

Very nice selection, but how often can you go out and either change targets, or cover target holes with black circles etc?

FlyinBryan
November 14, 2010, 02:28 AM
few places from least to most enjoyed (i very much enjoy them all)

1. an indoor range about 20 minutes from my house. it has 50yd rifle range with the electrical target carriers, and a 25yd pistol range with the same carriers.

2. an outdoor range about 10 minutes from my house. very nice older couple run the place. the old man is a garand guru, korean war vet, and his wife, one of the nicest ppl ive ever met. extremely strict rules and regulations. its nice to know someone is watching things closely when your stapling targets downrange with your back to the firing line. they have the following:

1. 7 yd pistol range with room for 10 or so shooters
2. 15 yd pistol range with as much room
3. 25 yd pistol range with as much room
4. 50 yd rifle range with about 12 lanes with benches for rightys and leftys
5. 100 yd rifle range with about 30 lanes with a few for leftys
6. 200 yd rifle range with 5 lanes (i think 5,,,,5ish)

and my favorite place is at my older sister house out in the sticks. skeet, rifles, steel plates out to around 400yds, rimfire pistol dualing trees, steel flappers for rimfires, pretty much anything we want to do.

rondog
November 14, 2010, 03:04 AM
www.blgc.org

Spec ops Grunt
November 14, 2010, 04:15 AM
Family cow pasture.

eastbank
November 14, 2010, 07:25 AM
ignition, i go out early and most times its empty,i put up all the targets i want to shoot first,maybe 6-8 at the ranges i want(you can drive to all the target boards). useing a spotting scope and my range book as i shoot i never have to move untill i,m done shooting. it costs 40.00 a year for indevigials and 50.00 a year for a familey and the gate is locked. their is a hot range flag and a cease fire flag,its very laid back and i have never seen any problems arise. if you become a prick,you will be gone. the range committy don,t take no bs and safety is their main concern. the realy nice thing for me is i only live 4 miles from the range and i know every body as i,ve lived here all my 67 years. i shoot 4-5 days a week,rifle,shotgun(trap-five stand) and pistol,tho not as much. i wish every one had a range like this. eastbank.ps we can also shoot .50 cal machine gun rifles too.

chunk
November 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
In my yard... it's good to live in bfe

AR27
November 14, 2010, 05:28 PM
Enough said

69Falcon
November 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
Local private Fish & Game range, usually not busy at all.

cemjr
November 15, 2010, 12:01 AM
In my yard, 5 acres, at BIG pile of top soil that I should have spread a long time ago and planted a lawn.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you shoot your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!