looking for utility rifle

PDA

gascon
November 9, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hello, first time posting but have been poking around a while.
I need to get a larger farm rifle, currently I use my BL-22 for most chores.
We have a lot of small stock (goats, ducks, turkeys) that are attracting night visitors : coyote, fox and roaming dogs.
This rifle needs to be no longer/heavier then 39 inches and maybe 7 pounds.
Should hold 5 or more rounds. I do not want an AR platform, saiga, Marlin 1894, or .223. It needs to carry well, not mind getting wet and point like a shotgun. I have 8 years of AR carrying experience and don't care for its feel. I load 9mm, .38/.357, .44 and 30-06, so getting a reloading required round is not an issue. I have looked at the new production Ruger 77/44's but figured it would be too slow for serving a defensive role if need be but otherwise like it. Its primary purpose is do put down 50lb or less animals at close range with authority but it would be nice to serve against bipeds as well. Thats where I start to think Mini but I don't care for the offered chamberings. I've looked and tried to decide but need some opinions, prefer to keep price below $800, thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for utility rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thunder173
November 9, 2010, 04:35 PM
Marlin 336 in 30/30,....Winchester 94,....both Marlin and Winchester,..or even Win clones could be had in .357/.44 mag pistol caliber carbine/riflles,....the SKS in 7.62 x 39, ...the Ruger Mini Thirty or Mini 14,....all come to mind.

I also have a Remington 7615 pump action patrol carbine in .223/5.56 that takes AR mags which would fit that bill very nicely.....but,...you mentioned no .223..........ymmv

jon86
November 9, 2010, 04:47 PM
I haven't shot one, but I handled a remington 7600 30-06 carbine. It's got nice rifle sights and it's HANDY.

OR
12 gauge pump?

deafdave3
November 9, 2010, 04:49 PM
I haven't shot one, but I handled a remington 7600 30-06 carbine. It's got nice rifle sights and it's HANDY.

This is what I was about to recommend.

GMHAYESUSN
November 9, 2010, 04:53 PM
I would go with the remington 7600 also....ive spent some trigger time on it and its a perfect gun for what u want imho.

Squidward
November 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
This rifle needs to be no longer/heavier then 39 inches and maybe 7 pounds. Check.

Should hold 5 or more rounds. Check

It needs to carry well, not mind getting wet and point like a shotgun. Check.

Its primary purpose is do put down 50lb or less animals at close range with authority but it would be nice to serve against bipeds as well. Check.

I've looked and tried to decide but need some opinions, prefer to keep price below $800, thanks. Check!

Remington 870 ! Even tough its not really a 'utility rifle'.

gotboostvr
November 9, 2010, 05:15 PM
Have you considered a M1 Carbine? They're handy as all get out and the round certainly will handle anything man-sized on down.

336A
November 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
What exactly is wrong with the Marlin 1894? It easily more than meets the criteria that you've outlined above. A 158gr JSP/HP .357 mag or a 240gr JSP/HP from a carbine would will drop any ill tempered canine with finality. Follow up shots are fast and effortless as well.

Carne Frio
November 9, 2010, 05:32 PM
AK in 7.62 x 39.

kbbailey
November 9, 2010, 06:02 PM
ditto 336A

GunTech
November 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
Just to be different, what about a CZ-527. Available in 22 hornet, 204 Ruger, 221 fireball, 223 and 7.62x39

Personally, I'd look at 22 hornet/K hornet for you application. The hornet has a low report and is perfectly adequate for larger varmints. It really doesn't fit the role of SD gun against larger (2 legged) predators however, so if this is a real concern you might look elsewhere.

The little 7.62x39 carbine is accurate, has a 5 round magazine and tips the scales at under 6 pounds. Even with an optic, it's light and handy.

Maverick223
November 9, 2010, 06:53 PM
I think a 20ga. (or 12ga.) scattergun would be the best choice, but if you want a rifle (absolutely nothing wrong with that), then a M1 Carbine would be an excellent rifle for farm duty...especially for the avid handloader. A lever action .357Mag. wouldn't be a horrible choice either, but I prefer the M1 Carbine...it just fits right, and it does the loading for me! :D

PR-NJ
November 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
Marlin 336 in 30/30,....Winchester 94,....both Marlin and Winchester,..or even Win clones could be had in .357/.44 mag pistol caliber carbine/riflles,....the SKS in 7.62 x 39, ...the Ruger Mini Thirty or Mini 14,....all come to mind.

I also have a Remington 7615 pump action patrol carbine in .223/5.56 that takes AR mags which would fit that bill very nicely.....but,...you mentioned no .223..........ymmv
My vote would be a Mini-30 (or 14 - cheap ammo) or a Marlin 336 30-30. You can get them in stainless, which whould be less sensitive to rain and dampness.

6-gunfun
November 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
+ 1 for the marlin 336 ive got an older model and can beat the crap out of it and it will still fire with no problem and also clean up like nothing happend never jams and is accurate at around 200 yards with iron sights (depends on shooter of course)

HGUNHNTR
November 9, 2010, 08:30 PM
Arsenal AK would fit the bill.

ironhead7544
November 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
The Storm carbine in pistol cals. Short and handy. CorBon 9mm 115 grain chronoed at 1440 fps from a 16 inch barrel. Should handle a varmint. I would probably use my Ruger M77MKII scout type in 308, with a suitable handload.

ReloaderEd
November 9, 2010, 08:45 PM
A friend of mine borrowed my Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle with light weight stock. He owns a farm and has had coyote problems. They actually were coming up in his yard by the house and he has grand kids that are toddlers. The rifle has a scope mounted on the top and is very light weight. He shot at least 6 cyotes with it and then purchased his own rifle duplicating mine. He got his deer with it on his farm of coarse and is very pleased with it

He was using my reloads with 55gr. hollowpoint Midway Dogtown bullets. Be safe . :neener:

I know you said you didn't want the 223 Remington. However, it is one of the cheapest calibers to buy or reload and will always be available. The Ruger also comes in other calibers.

52grain
November 9, 2010, 08:51 PM
Remington Model 7 should fit your specs.

52grain
November 9, 2010, 08:53 PM
Whoever said the 870 is on to something, but I would look for a used 870P for your purposes.

bigfatdave
November 9, 2010, 09:03 PM
M1 carbine
Pistol-caliber carbine (Hi-Point, Beretta, and Kel-Tec have good semiautos on the market, then every lever-gun maker has good ones as well)
Shotgun with actual sights? (pick your own)

*you're already loading 9mm and .44mag
*you're looking for short range on smallish critters
*you want something that can fill a defensive role as well

If you were near me, I'd hand you my M1 Carbine, a lever-gun, and my Kel Tec sub2000 and the one you felt like carrying around all day would be the winner.

jojo200517
November 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
How much of that 800 do you really wanna spend? How quick do you need to reload when those at least 10 run out? Are you wanting semi auto, pump, lever action, bolt action?

If you want a shotgun you could get an 870 remington, mossy maverick or 500, or heck even up to the 835 for semi auto and 3.5 inch mags (probably pushing weight limit a bit there). Tons of other scatter guns in this price range but I can't really speak for all weather durability of them.

If you are dead set on a semi auto rifle and want something cheap an SKS would serve pretty well for about 300 bucks, slower to reload with stripper clips tho. For about 390 you could go for a WASR AK-47. Higher capacity mags, quicker reloads.

If you need more OOOMPH I suppose you could go for the AK-FPK, basically a Romanian PSL shortened and made to take standard AK stock and forearm. 10 rd mags of 7.62x54r 8lbs, 37 inches overall

How the rifle is gonna carry is going to depend on how you carry it. If you get a decent sling anything meeting your requirements should carry pretty well, however no rifle is going to carry worth a crap while being held at arms length my the muzzle end so YMMV.

If you wanna go with a pistol caliber carbine there is a whole array of weapons that would fit your need. Since you already reload the 9mm, how about a keltec or even a hipoint carbine, maybe even a masterpiece arms m11 mac clone in 9mm carbine version.

stubbicatt
November 10, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'd vote for a rifle in 7.62x39 for what you describe. The choice of rifle would be a bit more complex as individual tastes and ergonomics play a role in such a decision. But once you settle on a cartridge that does what you want, the search for the rifle becomes a little more focused.

The Mini 30 or an SKS would be a good choice for what you have in mind, with the Mini 30 having the advantage of being easy to put a scope on. There are other rifles chambered in this round, also. The one I think I would choose is the CZ527 Carbine. A delightful little rifle with perfect balance and very graceful lines. The trigger is just magnificent also.

uspJ
November 10, 2010, 08:21 AM
If you can find one for a decent price I would go with the ruger 44 mag carbine or the mini thirty.

loadedround
November 10, 2010, 08:24 AM
One of the best ultility longarms is the discontinued Savage Model 24 Rifle/shotgun. It was available in many combinations of rifle calibers and two shotgun gauges, from the 22 rf to 30-30 Win and either 410 bore or 20 ga in the shotgun barrel. All are takedowns for storage and are still plentiful on the used gun market and some really nice ones are still avaiable under 400.00. They're worth seaching for. That's my two cents worth.

kludge
November 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
M1 .30 Carbine
SKS (7.62x39)
Ruger Deerslayer .44 Mag
Puma 92 in .357 or .44
Kel Tec SU-16 (I know, no .223, but it's very light and handy, and mine has been utterly reliable)

Tirod
November 10, 2010, 09:16 AM
Let's see, small, lightweight, handy, good at close range. Specifically NOT a pistol grip semi auto with magazine feed - no AR. Therefore, no AK.

Try the .30-30 lever action, Marlin or Winchester. You can get light loads for varmints, carry heavier for bipeds. The .30-30 is ballistically the same as 7.62 x 39, enjoys more widespread availability, and ammo is about the cheapest non-military round you can get aside from .22. You can reload and use spitzers if there is one in the chamber and one in the tube. Fitting a small LED light with 120 Lumens for night use is relatively cheap, the Eveready sells at Target for less than $40, a clamp mount is available somewhere. Set it up so you can thumb the base button with the off hand, and you can put light on the varmint just when you need it.

You won't spend nearly $800 doing that.

As for not wanting to use the AR, I didn't either for 22 years in the Reserves. A few things changed my mind: I finally realized what I had been taught about care and upkeep in the military was dead wrong, I realized the light weight was a lot easier to carry compared to my .30 cal hunting rifles, and the 6.8 SPC came on the market, making it 50% more powerful. Food for thought.

Enough so that I sold the .30 battle rifle and I'm building an AR. After all, I carried it enough I am very familiar with the operation, why throw away the training when I see so many paying $$$ at carbine courses to learn it?

gascon
November 10, 2010, 09:02 PM
Lots of ideas. I have 2 Berettas, 2 Ithacas and a couple of old doubles. So I do have shotguns, granted nothing short. I have no personal issue with the 1894 except it doesn't fit me at all. The wrist puts my wrist in a painful position, sold my BLR for the same reason.
Tirod, I chuckle inside when I go shooting with friends and their AR's and they get mad when I can do better off-hand than them. Or when they tell me about some house clearing thing they saw on tv and I roll my eyes. So I fully get the why waste the training thing.
I love target shooting with the AR and recommend it to anyone looking to build a tactical rifle.
I have tried to avoid buying a Marlin 336 for years. I want one in .35 Remington. I almost gave in when Marlin started in with the deluxe 336 but only in 30-30. A great round but if only a .35! No, for this I'm sticking with lower power, lower noise but otherwise the Marlin is a beautiful rifle.
I have never handled a modern 1892, but have handled an original. Does anyone have experience with the Browning/Winchester offering. I am very fond of my little BL-22 and a 92 in .44 would be close.
I'm sorry if I'm a gun snob but I saw a wasr at a gunshop and thought about buying it just to put it out of its misery. I grew up bird hunting and like a lively quick gun, thats got clean lines and no odd parts poking out here and there. I have a Colt heavy barrel in .223, the old full size job, I'm a dinosaur.
If I needed a combat gun I'd use that.
I think I'll try and locate a 92 to handle. Anybody have, shot the NEW production 77/44?

kludge
November 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
Wow... if only everyones first two posts were this well done.

I'm with you on the .30-30/.35 Rem thing. How could I ever love a .30-30 knowing I should have/could have had a .35? At any rate the .30-30 is perfectly adequate for your needs.

However I don't know how I could spend that much money (Marlin) on a ranch/farm/truck gun, knowing the life it would have. For the same reason I'm going to retract my .30 Carbine recommendation. Even the beater rack grade guns are getting up there. (If only Kel-Tec would make one.)

The Kel-Tec SU-16A or B carries and handles much differently than an AR, so I'll stick with that recommendation, and it won't increase the number of ammo types you have to keep on hand. The SKS handles about the same as the Kel-Tec (or maybe it's the other way around), but the SKS is just a more solid gun with more potent ballistics. So those are two guns I wouldn't have a issue with getting bumped around on the farm. Both of mine are minute of beer can accurate at 100 yards, the Kel-Tec a bit more so, maybe 1/2 MOBC.

The 92 has the advantage of using the same ammo as the gun on your hip, and it does feel different in your shoulder than the Marlin.

For small predators don't forget the .22 Mag, .17 HMR, and .22 Hornet. They are completely adequate, out to, oh, 125 to 150 yards for the rimfires, and 200 or so for the Hornet. Since you reload, the Hornet would be my choice. 35gr bullets @ 3000fps? Smokes the rimfires, but if you want, download them to .22 Mag level. Savage Model 40 runs about $450. In the same size gun, Savage also makes the Model 25 in .223 Rem, and it is easily downloaded to Hornet levels.

The Hornet's noise level is about the same as the .22 Mag, and is quite a bit lower than the .223.

doc2rn
November 11, 2010, 12:57 AM
For all my farm needs I would go with a 30-30 but you specifically said no 1894 so I believe you dont like levers for some reason. I have both a Marlin 1894 and a Winchester 30-30, but you might want to look at a SU 2000 carbine or for a High Point 9,40,45 pick your flavor carbine for $250.

ElToro
November 11, 2010, 02:13 AM
levergun in the same pistol cal as your sidearm... .357 or .44. barring that, 30-30 or 32 spec or 35 rem

you could buy 2 (used) with your proposed budget

oldfool
November 11, 2010, 07:54 AM
"I think I'll try and locate a 92 to handle."

yes, strikes me as meeting all your criteria, in 38/357 (which you already reload for)
ample power for your described purposes, slimmer, trimmer than the 1894 Marlin
good companion choice for your BL-22
surprised not more posters suggested that
try one, Rossi/LSI '92 easily within your price range, easy soft shooting carbines, not so pricey as to worry about "around the farm", 357 plenty good enough for any whitetail within 75 yards.. suggest the stainless models
they handle 38sp, 38+, and 357 just fine (just avoid wadcutters, re: feeding)

30-30s, love 'em, but really more gun than you need, per your listed criteria
243 bolt carbines, nice, but none I have seen hold that many rounds

Badlander
November 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
16" 30-30 would do what you want.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/Gaterskiner/1956%20Marlin%20336%20SC/P1010010.jpg

exdetsgt
November 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Mini-14 (new models only with heavier barrel). Light and points well. Iron sights good out to 100-125 yards, shot a jack rabbit at that range. .223 ammo is cheap.

Jonny V
November 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
The remington 870 offering is right on the money, but there is one other contestant for the job you're offering, the Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45. It has all the handling qualities you want, is FAR BELOW your top price point, and is just plain fun to boot.

mshootnit
November 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
a weapon mounted light is real nice if you're trying to shoot coons at night. I would look at something with a forward rail so you can screw a nice surefire or streamlight on there. I killed two coons with one shot at 50 yards with my 223, but I was shooting a 22 inch barrel and my max handloads. Same rifle blew up a couple deer too.

eye5600
November 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
I think the OP is over-thinking himself into a box. I do the same thing all the time, so I recognize the symptoms. You keep eliminating perfectly suitable choices for the sake of the perfect choice until there's nothing left.

If you like the Ruger in 44 Magnum, but want more speed, then a Marlin levergun in that caliber is the obvious choice.

Jubjub
November 12, 2010, 04:04 PM
The 336 in .35 Rem, and a set of dies.

You can load just about any bullet made for the .357, and have whatever power level you want. I shoot a 158 grain cast bullet over 10 grains of Unique for a fun plinking load. A 158 JHP pushed to 2000 fps is a load that has a reputation for being explosive on varmints, or you can load a JSP for a bit more penetration. A full load with a 200 grain rifle bullet is one of the premier close range deer rounds.

Mine doesn't have a bit of trouble feeding rounds loaded with stubby little pistol bullets, though they do look a little funny. Brass life is great, and at close range, point of impact is close enough for government work.

Pony Express
November 12, 2010, 05:08 PM
+1 for the 870

sprice
November 12, 2010, 05:25 PM
M1 carbine, sks, ak47/74, rugers, marlin 336, kelt tec su-16 (even though it is .223) other lever guns in pistol calibers.

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for utility rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!