642 Club Part Three

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

fiVe
November 3, 2007, 07:00 PM
What is the 642 Club? Just a place to hang a snubnose post? No. We are a testament to a very popular revolver. We are a front-line, almost real-time, almost face-to-face, first-rate reference, with a vast wealth of knowledge on grips, ammo, carry methods, etc. I am proud of this, particularly with all the new members coming on board.

Without a doubt, this thread itself has become a vital accessory to the 642. And we are trying to positively influence the manufacture of new 642 accessories with the Hogue grips petition.

Instead of asking “What is the 642 Club?”, we should really ask “Who is the 642 Club?”. We are a band of friendly, decent folk who have bonded (albeit maybe loosely) around a very cool snubnose revolver. This is a good thread because it is made up of good people, and together we have created a warm, decent place on the web.

I’m thankful we have such a quality board on which to exist. The High Road is a beacon on the internet and a standard that every board should follow. Thank you, Oleg and moderators for letting us be here. I do hope we will be seen as a thread with substance and not just size. While I do have a life outside THR, I am proud of my membership here.

When I created post #1, I never could have imagined this thread would grow to over 5000 posts and I never could have do it alone. In other words, this happened because of you--over 600 of you--not me. So....thanks. What’s next? I think we should keep doing what we’ve been doing--stay friendly, post your range reports, post your reviews on ammo, holsters, etc., help the newbies, and if you discover/experience anything new with your 642, be sure to share it.

I hope this thread is as big a blessing to you as it is to me.
Safe shootin’.

Peace,
fiVe

If you enjoyed reading about "642 Club Part Three" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
November 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the second edition of the 642 Club

Part 1 here
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658

I put 50 rounds through mine today...

EDIT to add
Just a reminder folks this is the 642 club. It is in the revolver forum and should be on topic for the Revolver forum and the x42 series of S&W revolvers. Rambling to the other centenial frames and other light weight revolvers fit the topic of this thread and any thing else will be deleted or moved.
b

Brian Williams
November 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the third edition of the club.
part Deux
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Nematocyst
November 9, 2010, 10:09 PM
I'm smiling over here.

Glad to be in on the ground floor of partie trois.

Hey, check it out. Post #4. :D

Brian, maybe a link at the bottom of Part Deux
to help members find part 3 easier?

ABE: My sig line has been updated.
"Wheels" now points here.

DAdams
November 9, 2010, 11:17 PM
Still crazy after all these years. I'm pleased to still be alive.:cool: who could have imagined what fiVe hath wrought. ;)

Now I can post that series of holiday pictures all over again!

Third times a charm, I'm in for the duration.

At Ease, Smokem if you've Gottem.

MSAA Reporting for Duty.

Post FIVE.

RetDep310
November 10, 2010, 02:49 AM
Been reading these posts ever since I became a member of THR. Just joined the 642 Club yesterday after buying mine a couple of weeks ago. Being part of a 3rd addition almost seems like a part of history !!!

whitecoyote
November 10, 2010, 03:29 AM
Wow, 642 Club Part Deux (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422) 3,999 post, 334,023 views, & three years six days has to be a record.
I'm in for part 3. :D

scottishclaymore
November 10, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hey fellow 642er's. I think a new edition of this awesome thread calls for new photos of everybody's favorite snub. I'm away from my camera (but not my snub!) right now, but I'll try to get some up this evening when I get home.

So everybody else... Let's see a picture of your snub and snubby gear!

Stainz
November 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
All is right in the world - and my 642 is back in my pocket. The 296 is hidden away - as is my old 2" 10, my wife's #1 choice - and my 4" 64. Hidden - but accessible. The 642 has yeoman-like duty - pocket peacekeeper extraordinaire. Now, off to Publix for groceries - and their 5% off 'senior discount' - if the blue-hairs left any open parking spots!

Stainz

MIL-DOT
November 10, 2010, 06:46 PM
Well I'll be danged, I just minutes ago got home with my new 642, poured me a wee beverage:D and sat down at the computer to see how my "642 lock removal" thread was going, when lo & behold, I spy nothing less than an entire thread, nay,CLUB, dedicated to this most nifty of new toys !! Imagine my joy !!
But seriously, I had no idea this was here, and look forward to scrolling back and reading more about these pistols than I was able to Google-up this past weekend while still considering getting one.
Amusing aside here, the girl that works at my FFL asked incredulously, "did you buy this thing NEW?" I said "yeah,why", and she said the boss was sorely pissed when he saw the price, as they couldn't have gotten this as cheap as I did !! They actually thought it must have been used !!
Anyway, I brought along some Winny white-box +p hollow points so I could load her up immediately and give her a shorts-pocket test ride,and she was noticably less bulky and heavy than my other carry pieces, a SP101 3", and a G26 (no surprise).
I was also happier than I expected to be with the trigger pull,seemed to be a little less length and considerably less fluctuation in resistance than seems to be common W/ double action. I was very happy with it.
Naturally, I played with the key & lock mechanism almost immediately after returning home,and I actually came away more confident in it than I expected. I can't see how this could possibly engage itself during a 5-round firefight, maybe while out shooting a box or three, but in a realistic 5-round SD scenario, I ain't seeing it. But of course,I'd appreciate any input from anyone that may have had this happen, though.
Oh yeah, uh, sorry....I seem to have gotten a little ahead myself............OOH,OOH,OOH, CAN I JOIN THE CLUB ???? CAN I ?? HUH,CAN I, PLEASE ?????? COME ON,GUYS,LEMME IN,LEMME IN !!!!! :D

DAdams
November 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
Pictures of 642s and gear I'm all over that. I have been plotting, I need to get the camera out and the right lighting. Into the equipment cache go I. This may take awhile. Stay tuned.

DAdams
November 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
Consider youself a member.
Great write up. SP 101, G26 nice indeed but you have graduated to the X42 cadre. A fellowship of few. Thanks for your insight.

DAdams
November 10, 2010, 09:04 PM
To the Coyote and RetDep310.

jad0110
November 10, 2010, 11:23 PM
So everybody else... Let's see a picture of your snub and snubby gear!

Ask and ye shall receive ...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%20642%2038%20Special/642_12-3.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%20642%2038%20Special/SW642withammo.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%20642%2038%20Special/642palm.jpg

Great to see the Club still going strong, on it's 3rd edition no less. I wonder if when my boy goes to college I'll be making a similar post to The 642 Club the 14th!

BamaUmp
November 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
Sure will be glad when my 642 comes in. I paid 430 out the door plus I will be getting the 50 rebate. How does that price compare to other places. I'm in East Alabama.

BamaUmp
November 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
"glad" I can type sometimes!

308win
November 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
I think I paid $329 but then that was a few years ago.:D

Don'tcha just love a smart*ss

BamaUmp
November 12, 2010, 07:48 PM
Would be worse if you said you got it that cheap yesterday 30 miles from me ;). I have a glock 22 I'm considering selling or keeping as a stay in the car gun. Any suggestions?

DAdams
November 12, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have a glock 22

Keep that trash talk to yourself.....we don't need to know....;)
:D Take it to the Autoloader Side of the House.

DAdams
November 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
jad sayeth....So everybody else... Let's see a picture of your snub and snubby gear!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010006-2.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/P4280042-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/PA230003.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/P4250041.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/P1010015-1.jpg

BamaUmp
November 12, 2010, 10:53 PM
My question is as a 642 owner would you keep the Glock 22? Its a 2nd gen doubt I could get enough out of it to buy another 642.

Resto Guy
November 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
My little buddy after a hard day's work.:D

BamaUmp
November 13, 2010, 01:10 AM
Another question, I know this has been talked to death but how is the of the Mika pocket holsters. I drive all over the south east for a courier service and as a college softball umpire. Any suggestions on how or where to holster a 642 while driving. As stated before I will have that dirty word gun in the car as well but at some point will start leaving it at home the more comfortable I become with my 642. How much could you expect to save from loading your own .38 special loads? Is the investment really worth it for someone that will only throw a couple of hundred rounds per month down range? Anyone ever built their own gun range outdoors......I have a family farm with approx. 80 acres. We have a pond that was dug with a rather large pile of dirt left behind that seems would be great place. Any advice and sorry about the "dirty" words earlier.

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 01:14 AM
There is some fine new photography popping up on page 1.

Wish I could contribute, but ... alas, I cannot.

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 01:22 AM
Page 1? Why look! I'm nailing the bottom of page 1 of partie trois.

Let's see. What can I do to justify this post as related.

Hey, I know. How about a link to the SW page on the 642?

Here it is (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764961_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y).

$616? Really.

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 01:23 AM
Page 2 of partie trois.

Carry on.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

only if you have the post count per page set to the default, 25, I have mine at 50

LawofThirds
November 13, 2010, 01:38 AM
*reloading your own: I've found it roughly cuts my costs in half on .38 (bear in mind I have a fairly large stash of .38 brass from buying the occasional box of factory and picking up every last .38 I see on the ground at my range) If you reload light wadcutters or middling 158's you should see at least 7 loadings out of your brass before it even needs to be looked at for a trim or replacement.

BamaUmp
November 13, 2010, 01:52 AM
Thats something to consider. I wont to practice as much as finances will allow.

LawofThirds
November 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
There is a fairly steep initial investment for reloading, quality reloading gear will set you back at least 200 with the absolute cheapest route. I went with a Dillon Square B, which while not the cheapest route, certainly is awesome for cranking out 200+ rounds an hour. All told, I spent around 500 for my reloading setup, which has already paid for itself in the first year (and more. Instead of shooting 50-100 rounds a month, I'm able to shoot around 200 at the same cost).

Plus, loading up 148g wadcutters over powderpuff loads is a great way to learn trigger control on your 642 without beating yourself or your gun up.

I still haven't figured out a load that really matches my carry ammo though. Buffalo Bore gets a full 1000 fps out of a 642 with a 158 grain bullet. I can't touch that number though I can get equivalent recoil out of a nice stout +p load using clays universal.

BamaUmp
November 13, 2010, 03:33 AM
Sounds great if I can convince the wife the investment is worth it lol

308win
November 13, 2010, 08:59 AM
(and more. Instead of shooting 50-100 rounds a month, I'm able to shoot around 200 at the same cost).

As often stated on the reloading forum; you don't save money reloading you shoot more - not a bad thing mind you. I have reloaded for every gun I own although I don't reload shot shells anymore.

johnnylaw53
November 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
I got my 642 a few years ago and then found THR and the 642 club when that ran it course the 642 club 2nd part now I'm proud to post in part 3. I first got the 642 after being away from snub nose's for awhile had owned 5 in the pass and always wanted something either flater, more ammo or what ever. Ended up for awhile not carrying a weapon off duty since small auto's just never seem to work for me. When I got the 642 one day on a spur of the moment thing, I took it to the range began carrying it again and wonder why I gotten away from the small snub nose in the first place. They are in general to include the 642 which is my choice just about the perfect EDC there is for what most of us have which is a low threat envoirement.

be safe

DAdams
November 13, 2010, 10:51 AM
Sounds great if I can convince the wife the investment is worth it lol

Over two years ago I decided to start loading/reloading. I began purchasing the equipment thinking my son might find it interesting (he doesn't) and a father/son thing to do. It didn't work out that way but I continued to purchase the gear and appropriate supplies in any event.

Along came BHO and the great hoarding of 2008. Ammunition, primers, brass, powder, dies, and virtually anything that went along with the makers craft was not available and that which was, featured much higher prices although still commesurate with the higher price of ammunition in general.

Roll forward to the present. Shelves are awash in ammunition, and all the loading components are readily available and at almost 2007 prices.
Word to the wise then, if you want to take up the brewers art or think you may, now is the time to do it. Commodity prices are on the way back up and once the stuff that is on the shelf is gone, new inventory will reflect the higer price...not bad though because at least you can get it.

You can certainly reload .38 spl, plus P and .357 very reasonably (not for the X42) and you don't need high throughput to enjoy rolling your own sufficiently to take you to the range and save a few $$. Don't just do it for the cost savings though get into the zen of the craft because there is a great deal to learn and various levels in approaching what and how you do it.

If you visit/search on the loading site (there are links even in Parts I & II) and look for "replica loads" you will find recipes for some of the favorites, Speer Gold Dot for Short barrel 135 gr plus P and the "FBI" loads. Also lots of good "sticky" information on getting started.

The formative period. The brown truck came fequently. The wait for many of the items then was months.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Loading/P1010018-3.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Loading/P1010006.jpg

The loading Zone back then:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Loading/P1010021.jpg

308win
November 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Quite a man cave there DA. If I kept mine that neat my wife would be nagging me to straighten the closet:o

rromeo
November 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
Awesome, I made page 1 of part 3!

I enter with a frivolous photo.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs250.snc4/39845_423030824839_534659839_4646556_5911249_n.jpg

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
^ lol.

oh, that's a gem. Rromeo.

I'm curious. Is it attached, to just sitting loosely?

And, if one wanted to :scrutiny:, could it be attached and fired? Would the cylinder rotate?

I'm guessing it could not be attached ... no rail, but I've never worked with such scopes....

manthony4563
November 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
One of the online wholesalers offers the 442/642 with a trigger job for extra cost. Does anyone know if it's worth the money and if it makes much of a difference? Sorry if this has been addressed before since I am just getting through Part One.

motorcycle-charlie
November 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
i'm new to this forum and look foreward to scootin around here. i have a 442 that i carry every day. it's a great gun and it conceals well. contrary to what some people say, it can be a range gun. it kind of has to be if you plan on carrying it and want to be a decent shot with it. i ran 200 rounds through it today at the range. usually i can only afford to shoot 100, but i have been working some overtime. i just wish ammo wasn't so expensive.

RetDep310
November 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
I got my 642 a few years ago and then found THR and the 642 club when that ran it course the 642 club 2nd part now I'm proud to post in part 3. I first got the 642 after being away from snub nose's for awhile had owned 5 in the pass and always wanted something either flater, more ammo or what ever. Ended up for awhile not carrying a weapon off duty since small auto's just never seem to work for me. When I got the 642 one day on a spur of the moment thing, I took it to the range began carrying it again and wonder why I gotten away from the small snub nose in the first place. They are in general to include the 642 which is my choice just about the perfect EDC there is for what most of us have which is a low threat envoirement.

be safe
My situation closely mirrors johnnylaw53. About 5 years into my career, we transitioned from S&W Mod 66's to semi-autos. I completely ignored revolvers from that point on, thinking the auto was the way to go off-duty. Never found any that I liked for any period of time, and also wound up not carrying one on me all the time. Had several snubbies prior to that, but the love was gone. Thank goodness I came to my senses, and fell in love with the snubbies again after I retired. Finally got a 642 a few weeks back, and that relationship will be forever!

Brian Williams
November 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
Manthony, just shoot the thing, otherwise dryfire it. The gun will smooth up after about 1000 to 2000 trigger pulls

jfh
November 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
DAdams: So, the reloading bench really does exist!

Now, get a Lee Turret, and you are all ready to go for all calibers...BG.

And, with that sign-in, I will now get notifications for Part Three....

Jim H.

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 10:48 PM
That is a sweet loading setup, DA. I'm envious.

19-3Ben
November 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
About to become a member TOMORROW!!!

I can't wait to finally get my very own 642!

19-3Ben
November 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
Ok, before I go get my 642, I have a quick question. Is the cylinder on the 442 blued steel, or is it just black painted stainless?

I have a choice between 642 and 442, and this may make a difference.

Nematocyst
November 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
It's stainless steel, Ben.

Here is (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766343_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y) SW's description.

If I was doing it again, I'd go with the 442.
Still hope to trade my 642 for a 442.
I just like the black better.

And which ever you get,
welcome (officially) to the club. :)

19-3Ben
November 13, 2010, 11:26 PM
Oh shoot. It's funny. I was just looking at the website earlier. I must have missed it. thanks.

Thank you for the welcome. I suppose the least I can do is take a couple pics tomorrow when I get it. :)

rdrancher
November 14, 2010, 12:29 AM
Wow...I haven't dropped by for awhile and when I do, the first thing I see is Part Three! What a testament to a great little gun. My worn and trusty 642 still rides along with me everyday, usually in an equally worn Mica round-cut.

BamaUmp
November 14, 2010, 01:12 AM
I appreciate the loading info....I suppose for right now I will just have to deal with high priced ammo. I just dont think I have the time or the funds to invest in the equipment but will keep it in mind for the future.

BamaUmp
November 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
While my Alabama Crimson Tide havent done as well as I had hoped this year my real team, my alma mater Jacksonville State Gamecocks had a huge win yesterday (if you remember we are the team that beat Ole Miss in OT) The Assoc AD for Sports Medicine at JSU is a huge gun man even spent some time as the Chairman of the NCAA National Rifle Committee. JSU has a few National Championships in Rifle as well. Sorry just in a proud bragging mood. :cool:

rromeo
November 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
oh, that's a gem. Rromeo.

I'm curious. Is it attached, to just sitting loosely?

And, if one wanted to , could it be attached and fired? Would the cylinder rotate?

I'm guessing it could not be attached ... no rail, but I've never worked with such scopes..It's not attached, just sitting loosely. I took the pic for a thread on tacticool handguns on another forum. The cylinder was not restricted, but the eye relief is too small for a handgun.

MIL-DOT
November 14, 2010, 11:37 AM
(Quote) "Sure will be glad when my 642 comes in. I paid 430 out the door plus I will be getting the 50 rebate. How does that price compare to other places. I'm in East Alabama."

I just got mine new from CDNN for $349, plus about $43 in shipping and FFL tranfer, so about $392 total ( then minus $50 from the rebate).
I'm in West Georgia.;)

DAdams
November 14, 2010, 02:45 PM
Welcome to rromeo, (nice tacti-cool 642) :cool:
Motorcycle Charlie 19-3Ben and Manthony.

Seems alot of renewed interest (or thread discovery) in one of the greatest snubs ever made.

Regarding price of new X42s, I would surmise that over the last 3-4 years a bandwidth price (less rebates) would be $375-425? $418 for a 642 at Bud's now includes shipping and with the current $50 rebate...$369. That's 2005 prices. Less than what I paid 4 years ago.
Good price MIL-DOT! That CDNN is always tempting me with things I need to ignore.

While at Bud's I ran across this...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_922/products_id/61699
M642 Pro in Stainless, Cut for Moonclips. That is interesting if I were in the market today I would probably bite on that.

Hello to rdrancher you have things in the western US under control? Ready for Winter. ;)
My worn and trusty 642 still rides along with me everyday, usually in an equally worn Mica round-cut.

Hey to JFH, everyone have a decent summer?

Quite a man cave there DA. If I kept mine that neat my wife would be nagging me to straighten the closet

The Man Cave is not looking all that good right now. Winter is coming and I need to get it put back together and organized. There has been a bunch of rummaging this summer for camping trips and hikes that have left things in a state of disarray. I moved my main ammo stash into another another more sucure area of the basement where the safe is located. The loading consumables now take the completed ammo's place. I have a large capacity dehumidifier going in the "safe room" which also covers the loading zone.

DAdams
November 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
When I first started reading about handgun carrying one of the (many) things that struck me were all the comments about boxes and closets full of holsters, tried and most of which weren't used. Upon looking at prices of a quality leather name brand holster I decided I would avoid that situation if at all possible.

My 642-2 was the first really pocketable revolver I invested in. I was pleased at the time to learn that a DeSantis Nemesis I bought for a Kahr PM9 was equally servicable for the 642 and that's where it rode until....the (Robert) Mika came on my scene. A few years ago it took months to get a Mika, and at the price how could you go wrong? The big decision was square cut or round cut? After the Mika roundcut arrived it easily replaced the DeSantis.
It remains to this day my pocket holster of choice for my two J Frames.
Cost disaster averted for pocket holters. Total investment $40 for two and one works for the Kahr.

I did pick up a Uncle Mikes IWB el inexpensivo to try out the IWB concept. It wasn't and to this day isn't a prefered carry method for me. I guess I just don't have pants with sufficient room to spare. :rolleyes: I think that foam wonder was under $10. It is in use today and houses the 642 in a night stand drawer, effective, just not its intended purpose.

Well eventually you get the urge to get a "real" holster. OWB. Again I was more interested in trying the concept and wanting a decent holster, "just in case", because there is no doubt a X42 on the hip is lighter than in the pocket. Conditions in your State may vary. At the time I was living in FL so this exercise was more esoteric than anything else. I did a little research and someone on THR recommended the Blackhawk Speed Classic and I got a great deal for a leather holster from Optics Planet (a great place btw).
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leather-speed-classic-s-w-j-frame-left.html
Another place I need to avoid like the plague....but can't seem to. To this day this holster can be had for $30 a great deal in my view, particurly if you don't plan to OWB a great deal but just want a nice IWB holster around just in case. Some day I would like a BBQ OWB but for now....

That's about it for my J Frame holster collection. The entire quest at under $100. Not bad and except the Blackhawk they all get used. Not in a box in the closet.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P1010018.jpg

Uncle Mikes, Blackhawk, Mika Roundcut. The DeSantis was MIA at press time.

Here's a stock photo with the PM9 in the DeSantis and 642 in Mika. Basically interchangeable.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P7180032.jpg

Here is a better view of the BH.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P3150001.jpg

In the same vein, I have never purchased a "carry belt" before...but since I now live in an open carry State and the National Parks are now carry zones I thought a casual gear belt would be in order.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/ezfitoib.jpg

This thing is strong enough to be used as a "drag" belt and I bought it large enough to use it as a main belt or as a gear belt over a regular belt.
Wilderness Instructors Belt from Dillon Precision.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23795/catid/22/The_Wilderness__039__Original_Instructor_Belt_1_5_quot_

Dillon also has the SpeedStrip wallet I like.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/18308_ihl_speed_strip_wallet_1_m-1.jpg

Hope this report saves you some $$ and you find some of this gear to your liking.

DAdams
November 14, 2010, 04:31 PM
Here are some carry method alternatives to the conventional.

Although I don't own one these they seem to get high marks from some, including our own jt1. Who has two X42s, one in each pocket.

Smart Carry

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/security1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/SmartCarryjtstyle.jpg

Safe Packer

I don't own one of these, but I like the concept. Looks like an I Pad in your hand.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/safe_seat2.jpg

Here is a Safepacker option for waist carry.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/saferunpack.jpg

Of course there are many "man bags" or fanny packs. This was an experiment I tried using a Nite Ize product. Suitable for certain States and situations, this wouldn't be a bad National Park carry method.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P3200007.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P3200010-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/P3200021.jpg

Rain hood/cover the "gear" and very fast retrieval.

Here is my latest gear bag with provisions for CCW. Maxpedition Sitka.

I've been wanting to try some Maxpedition products and on a recent day hike in the Smokys I decided it was time to try one out. At the time I had a "man purse" with a BERSA Thunder .380 (I know, I know 10 rounds of .380 vs 5 .38 spl plus P) positioned in rug which was ok but I wanted something with more day gear space, and with quick CC access.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Sitka-Gearslinger-2p926.htm

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/0431dfc_general.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Gear/0431g22_958_detail-1.jpg

BamaUmp
November 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
CDNN?

BamaUmp
November 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
I'm rather undecided on the need to carry extra ammo in speed strips or speed loaders. I see many post saying its a must and some seem to think it unnecessary. To be honest I probably wont carry full time. I'm gassing up at 3am often in various states and feel this is when I will usually pocket carry. I also have a NAA mini but thats another topic altogether.

DAdams
November 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
CDNN?

I didn't warn you. CDNN Sports.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

At the price of a Speedstrip or Speedloader it's probably not a bad idea. I like the Bianchi Strips personally. No bulk, flat, flexible. Do the jt1 split, two on each end and one space left open. Allows for the fastest install of four, two at a time, and back in action....if need be. $7.49 plus shipping for a pair.
Here is another great website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#speed%20strip____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Another is Brownell's

http://www.brownells.com/

Well there you go....you asked for it. ;)

19-3Ben
November 14, 2010, 07:38 PM
GOT IT!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!!

Do holsters with strap retention made for traditional hammered j frames work with the 642, or does the hump get in the way?

BamaUmp
November 14, 2010, 09:33 PM
So at the very least I need to order a round cut mika pocket holster. Kinda working with a budget this time of year ;). I do like the look of the blackhawk iwb. How comfortable would it be while driving if f I took the 642 out of it. For my job I have to drive up to 600 miles while only stopping for gas breaks.

rdrancher
November 14, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hello to rdrancher you have things in the western US under control? Ready for Winter.

Ready as ever, big D! A divorce this year and slow construction work led to a healthy (?) thinning of the herd. Hard as it was, I had to sell most of my meager collection to stay afloat. I kept my 642, Vintage Charter Arms Undercover, Mossberg Shotty, Mossin Nagant M44, Mauser, my first firearm purchase .22 rifle and hardware store .410.

Times will get better and the herd will prosper too. Plus, I have a boat-load of 9mm and .45 ACP stashed and ready.

Holsters for the little j-frame and Charter are as follows. From muzzle clockwise... Mika round-cut, DM Bullard, Mika square-cut, Inexpensive and very concealable clip IWB, Galco con1588 and a modified De Santis 001. Sorry for the cellphone pic.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/rdrancher/6421109.jpg

A typical day finds the 642 nestled in the Mika round-cut or De Santis. On cold days when weather dictates adorning my ranch coat, an excellent RKBA inside-the-breast-pocket leather holster (not shown) secures the mighty j-frame. Diane's Speedstrip carrier (shown) is always present in a front pocket, and multiple Speedloaders are planted in various locations at home and in the truck. Since I am more likely to encounter vermin of the four-legged variety in my local, carry rounds are 148gr. SWC's. The .22 and 12 gauge sit ready behind the seat (just in case.)

rd

DAdams
November 14, 2010, 11:42 PM
BamaUmp Blackhawk is OWB not IWB my error. I wouldn't recommend it as a driving holster.

Congrats Ben!! Now get down to some serious dry firing.

Seems like the conclusion and consensus we came to some years back on driving and holster carrying was a cross draw technique for right handers. I would want something with loop snaps for ease of on/off and the ability to cant forward slightly. jt1 how did your driving holster turn out? I think you were working on one.

IIRC corectly this was a method and holster that had all the appropriate attributes.

http://www.activeprogear.com/model17.html

Here is another possibility but the theme remains.

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23SPAGE.htm

A little different approach.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4717495_carry-firearm-vehicle-driving.html

A THR thread from the past...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=323950

Nematocyst
November 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
Wow. I leave for a few hours and we're on page 3 already.

Zoom zoom.

Is this a great revolver or what?

Congrats, Ben.

Great info from RD and the MSAA, too.

jt1
November 15, 2010, 12:59 AM
Part III ?...(Hey Brian...I'm still not over the transition to part II...how about that sticky?)Keeping stickies to a minimum, edit by Brian
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P1160009.jpg
Anyway...

Hey DA great holster primer :cool:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P8030021.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P8030015.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P1170020.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P1170023.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P4130010.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P1180001.jpg

And all the others...but the best I have found so far is Mika.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P6260013.jpg

Nematocyst
November 15, 2010, 01:06 AM
And JT makes his appearance in partie trois.

Dude, is that a drop holster with a x42 in it?

Where can I get one?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/P8030021.jpg

jt1
November 15, 2010, 01:39 AM
DA - The driving holster turned out OK, but I found it to be of limited use...turns out the cross draw holster is hard to conceal, and I think it is just inherently unstable for a short barrel. It may be OK for winter but I dislike things that are not completely serviceable. I am currently looking at ankle holsters...might be the best of both worlds...good for sit down draw and as a backup to the mika...

Comments/reviews on ankle holsters?

Here is my review of the APG M17 from part 1...
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3821242&postcount=4818

Dude, is that a drop holster with a x42 in it?
Nem - I made that one as a pocket holster with a belt strap to carry a M60 and see if it would transfer the weight to the belt..it did a good job but still not as good as a mika/x42 combo...funny you should mention the drop holster...I have thought a few times about putting a leg strap on it for the field...If you're not in a hurry I can make one for you :)

BamaUmp
November 15, 2010, 02:24 AM
Has anyone ever bought ammo from Georgia Arms? Seem to have some good prices especially on target ammo and as it seems about an hour from me.

http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx

DAdams
November 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
The ankle holster might be a driving alternative.

GA Arms has been around quite awhile and I haven't heard a bad thing about them and their ammo. You might want to Google them and see what comes up.

jt1 who manufactured your EBR or is it a frankenrifle? .223?

Hope you don't mind me posting your double whammy aka NY Backup? :D

BamaUmp
November 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
I will Google them. Not sure how I have never heard of them and they are a little over an hours drive away. I havent seen even crappy range ammo for 11.50 anywhere else.

jt1
November 15, 2010, 02:50 PM
who manufactured your EBR

DA - DPMS lower/ DEL-TON RKT104 kit :evil:

As for ankle holsters:
Maybe this one by Lou :(...still in production :o

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/alessiankle_revolver550.jpg

BamaUmp
November 15, 2010, 03:14 PM
Also trying to find more info on a place called Alabama Ammo. No website but I have found several posts about very good quality and low prices.

gordy
November 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
I had a friend of mine(gunsmith) do a action job on my 642, worth every one of those 12 cans of beer.
I like the JBP inside the pants holster I got from cheaper than dirt.
I have a blackhawk size 3 that works great in the front pocket and a Galco belt holster for on the range. I use speed strips.
No red dots on my 642.
Thinking about having it magna ported.:cool:

TheProf
November 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
Does this holster for a 642 exist? I'm thinking of an IWB holster where the clip is high enough so that the gun is at or below the belt line. I'm thinking of carrying my 642 Appendix style IWB.

Nematocyst
November 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
Nem - I made that one as a pocket holster with a belt strap to carry a M60 and see if it would transfer the weight to the belt..it did a good job but still not as good as a mika/x42 combo...funny you should mention the drop holster...I have thought a few times about putting a leg strap on it for the field...If you're not in a hurry I can make one for you Thanks for clarifying, JT.

I can see what you did now. Very cool.

As for drop holster for the 642, thanks very much for the kind offer. I'm not sure I really want one, though, for the 642. I was mostly curious. After I thought about it for a bit, it doesn't make quite as much sense for the airweight.

I hope some day to get a drop holster for my 3" 65, but that may be a ways off.

scottishclaymore
November 15, 2010, 11:57 PM
Alright, time for me to get off of my sorry butt and post some pictures.

Below is a picture of my well-used 642 and its accompanying gear.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Scottishclaymore/Firearms/IMAG0437.jpg

Two Tuff speedstrips, two HKS speedloaders, and an assortment of holsters. Starting at the top and working my way over, the top holster is an OWB holster I use when wearing a jacket or coat. It's a DeSantis I picked up in an old holster bin somewhere and I removed the retention straps to make it open-top. Next is a Don Hume IWB holster that has proven to be one of the most comfortable IWB holsters I have ever worn. Finally there is a DeSantis Nemesis that has been serviceable enough for pocket carry, though after reading through three iterations now of the 642 Club, I am wanting to get ahold of a Mika pocket holster. Finally there at the bottom is a SmartCarry. That particular one is actually a loaner, but I think I'm liking it well enough to get my own - and a second 642 to go with it.

And my daily carry loadout:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Scottishclaymore/Firearms/IMAG0448.jpg

The knife is a S&W. It wasn't expensive and it's very beat up, but it's still solid as a rock and hefty enough to double as a boat anchor.

Big_John1961
November 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hey all,

I just picked up a new 442 on Saturday, so I guess I'm a member of this club. I have read a ton of the posts from the first two threads and the amount of info in them is remarkable. I settled on the 442 due the the subdued finish. A little less conspicuous and a little more stealthy. This is my second Smith revolver (686).

I also own two Seecamps, a .32 & .380, which had been my primary carry guns prior to this. So far I'm very pleased with this little revolver. It feels great in the hand. The only changes I'm contemplating is picking up a set of Hogue Bantam grips and of course a holster. Other than that, I'm just dry firing and getting used to the DA trigger. Right now it's loaded with Speer 135gr Gold Dots.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, but soon. Look forward to participating in this thread.

Cheers.

BamaUmp
November 17, 2010, 03:26 AM
OK another newbie question. Sorry if this has been covered here before. I should be picking up my NIB 642 in the next few weeks. Trying to buy Christmas for 3 kids forced me to go the layaway route at a local pond shop. They charged no extra fees and I will get to use the 50 rebate so its not so bad other than having to wait. This will be the first revolver I've ever owed/fired. What prep do I need to do to the 642 before I take it the range for the first time. I assume clean and lube first but I hope to keep this gun and pass it down to my kids in 20-30 years so I want to make sure I start out the right way.

camsdaddy
November 17, 2010, 01:34 PM
Does this holster for a 642 exist? I'm thinking of an IWB holster where the clip is high enough so that the gun is at or below the belt line. I'm thinking of carrying my 642 Appendix style IWB.
I hope to know it that low riding appendix holster is available. I have one being made current.y. I can tell you a few that arent low enough.

scottishclaymore
November 17, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cleaning and lubing is about all you need to do. I would also advise getting two or three different loadouts of target ammunition so you can see how they pattern and print. FYI, the 642's sights seem to be dead-on with 158 gr. bullets. At any rate, figure out a load that works for you, and then stick to it. And practice, practice, practice.

RetDep310
November 17, 2010, 04:12 PM
A little off topic, but I have to vent!!! Purchased a 642 a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to get a Fobus paddle holster for the occasional OWB carry, and range carry. I am left-handed, so I thought Fobus might have a left hand version for j-frames, considering they are one of the most popular guns ever made. Think they would have one? No! E-mailed Fobus, and they said sorry, no left-hand holsters for the j's. Had plenty for other lesser makes. I know there are other left hand shooters out there that have j-frames, even though we only make up around 20% of the population. There, I feel better now!

BamaUmp
November 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have a Utah CCW. Just wondering if its worth the effort and money. Currently I have an Alabama CCW but do travel with my job quite often.

whitecoyote
November 17, 2010, 09:59 PM
Does this count? S&W 340 M&P (no lock). :D
http://i51.tinypic.com/2iicw9z.jpg

Nematocyst
November 17, 2010, 10:37 PM
WhiteCoyote,

That definitely counts.

But I suspect you're looking for the 340 M&P Club (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173).

Our Master Sargeant at Arms (MSAA) - DA - is founder there.

Even though 340 owners are always welcome here,
we're focused on x42s and related .38 spl airweights.

But again, you can still hangout.

Nem

whitecoyote
November 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
WhiteCoyote,

That definitely counts.

But I suspect you're looking for the 340 M&P Club (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173).

Our Master Sargeant at Arms (MSAA) - DA - is founder there.

Even though 340 owners are always welcome here,
we're focused on x42s and related .38 spl airweights.

But again, you can still hangout.

Nem
Thanks for the heads up.

DAdams
November 18, 2010, 04:26 PM
Most excellent. Very nice M&P 340 sans ILS. The ultimate J Frame. ;) So I guess they really do exist. :cool:

Come on over to the 340 Thread and join us.

DAdams
November 18, 2010, 09:28 PM
Aw, now, you have to go and have the audacity to call a 340 "the ultimate j-frame" over heah in the x42 club?!

Just what I was looking for and much faster rise time than anticipated!!:neener:

You know how much I like the company around here and I DO have a 642. ;)

642 price. I was looking through a recent CDNN Catalog. They have 642s for $368 plus reasonable shipping. That price with the Snubby $50 rebate is quite a reasonable price.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

BamaUmp
November 18, 2010, 11:25 PM
Guess I can officially join the club now. Picked up my 642 today along with an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster until I can order one from Mika and a box of ammo. Sitting here following advice dry firing driving my wife nuts :)

BamaUmp
November 18, 2010, 11:34 PM
Grip question. I'm ok with the size of the factory grips but they are a little hard for me. I think I'd prefer something a little softer. I know it will grab fabric easier but I'm going to pocket carry so its not as much of a factor. Can anyone recommend something I can look at. I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm watching the Alabama game and dont want to go looking right now ;)

Also is it best to just never mess with the internal lock?

19-3Ben
November 19, 2010, 08:51 AM
As a carry load, I'm very seriously considering the FBI load (158gr. LSWCHP) from Federal.
Do I have to worry about bullets jumping crimp under recoil?

_CY_
November 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
340PD with .357 is my CCW ... guess I'll head for the 340 M&P thread ...

308win
November 19, 2010, 09:41 AM
As a carry load, I'm very seriously considering the FBI load (158gr. LSWCHP) from Federal. Do I have to worry about bullets jumping crimp under recoil?
Excellent choice. That load is the load that the 642's sights are set up for as far as POA/POI. You won't have to worry about set back or walk out as long as you have a good crimp.

scottishclaymore
November 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
That is the load I carry in all three of my daily carry guns, the 642 included. I've never had any issues with bullets jumping crimp.

DAdams
November 19, 2010, 04:12 PM
340PD with .357 is my CCW ... guess I'll head for the 340 M&P thread ...

Come on over. In fact you might put your .02 and expertise in on your 340PD for this person.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=555829

BamaUmp
November 19, 2010, 04:51 PM
Picked up some Hogue Bantams today. They seem to be decent and provide that softer feel I was looking for. Will post pics tonight.

BamaUmp
November 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
Well here is what I have.

Just using an Uncle Mikes #3 until I get the chance to order a Mika. Cheap Coleman LED flashlight, Gerber Applegate Covert Folder.

DAdams
November 19, 2010, 09:59 PM
You have your personal defense bases well covered there now!! That holster will serve you well until the Mika arrives. What is Robert's lead time these days?
How do you like that Applegate. I have always been Gerber fan, I think they are a good value for the $$. One of these days I may have to add one of those to my PD carry arsenal. I almost bought one the other day at that Sportsmans place in Smyrna I was telling you about. Good set-up you have there. Beware the wolves at your door.

BamaUmp
November 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure about his lead time I will probably order after the 1st of the year. As far as the Gerber goes so far I love it. Prices are pretty good, I picked mine up on ebay. Think I paid around $50 including shipping but its worth more. I feel pretty confident I have personal defense covered as well. Looking into the Utah CCW to cover me in a few more states than my Alabama CCW.

Gato Montés
November 20, 2010, 04:47 AM
Shot the 642 for the first time a couple days ago and WOW, that little bugger really lives up to its reputation! That was with +P 158gr SWC mind you; with 148gr wadcutters she's a real hoot to shoot.

BamaUmp
November 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
Shot my 642 for the first time yesterday as well. Lets just say I need a couple more trips to the range before I feel comfortable. Lets just say its not point and shoot like a Glock ;)

scottishclaymore
November 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
It is true, what you say. Let me encourage you to practice, practice, practice. Ultimately the 642 can be a very rewarding gun to shoot, but it takes more practice and more skill than larger guns. Once you get proficient, it's very satisfying to be able to do the same thing with an airweight snub that most people can do with a full-size autoloader.

rodpumas
November 20, 2010, 08:18 PM
BamaUmp said "Looking into the Utah CCW to cover me in a few more states than my Alabama CCW. "

Hi neighbor!

Why not apply for our non resident FL CCW?

Rod

BamaUmp
November 20, 2010, 11:26 PM
From my research the Utah is valid just about everywhere the Florida is. Ontop of that Utah is only 67.50 for the first 5 years and renewals are 10. If my info is correct its just simple economics. Also I can take the Utah class about an hour from my house for 65.

BamaUmp
November 21, 2010, 06:57 AM
I want to make a trip to the range tomorrow. Any advice on distance to start with, grip of the weapon. Anything in general would greatly help. I will probably run to Bass Pro Shop to pick up some Ammo, suggestions there would help. Just want to hit some paper I was discouraged the other day buy I'm used to shooting a Glock 22. I know the 642 is an amazing weapon I just have to learn the weapon and how to handle it as opposed to auto loaders.

DAdams
November 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
From the for what it's worth department, here is the recommended grip by Jerry Miculek, but what does, he know? ;)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/Jerry2-6-2.gif

A high and very firm grip is required.

Since the X42s and revolvers in general are not as fussy about what you put through them I would try a couple of the least expensive brands for practice until you find something you favor. Winchester White Box, Remington 130 gr 38 spl, Independence, etc.

Don't forget after you get halfway comfortable make part of your practice regime practicing with your carry load(s). This is expensive but necessary, since they may have slightly different characteristics. Especially if you start with standard pressure .38 spl for practice and then load
plus P for EDC.
I still favor Speer GDFSB and I have qualified COR BON and Buffalo Bore. I have some new Hornady CD but haven't practiced with it yet.

Hopefully you have been dry firing to begin smoothing out and wearing in the operational components.

I typically shoot from 7-8 yards. You may want to warm up with something closer. It certainly doesn't hurt to know where things will land at 10 feet.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1W1RNWO_en&q=shooting+a+snub+nose&aq=0&oq=shooting+a+snub

Practice with the "man sized" B-27 Economy targets as you aren't going for bullseyes 9s, 8s are totally acceptable, you are looking to cease a life threatening act, not shoot out an eye. Center of mass in a pie plate size area.

You may want to peruse some of these articles above for suggestions.

Now go out there and get her dirty.

Camjr
November 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
Wow, I go away for a while, and we're on Part III now? Glad to see all the new members! My 642 is showing some nice "character marks" now from riding in either it's Nemesis or Mika (depending on the pocket of the pants that particular day...), and has truly become my EDC. I've tried the speed strips in 6, 3+2, and 2+2 format, and have decided to stick with the 2+2 format. The little 642 is the perfect tool for it's intended purpose. Practice practice practice

Cheers!

308win
November 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
The advantage of gripping as high as possible is that you place the plane of the recoil more in line with your arm (forearm) and that reduces the flip. You want to also focus on the grip pressure and work to get that consistent as it will have a big effect (at least for me) on your trigger technique. You need a firm pressure but you don't need to be applying too much pressure. That Jframe isn't going anywhere and it isn't going to jump out of your hand and beat you about the head.

DAdams
November 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
are key as-well. Any torquing will change your POA. The goal is straight back. You will see some individuals stop at the point of "stacking" the mechanism and reaquire the target then finish the follow through. That technique may help accuracy, but in reality you won't have the time or presence of mind to do that in a real life situation.

Rob1109
November 21, 2010, 10:20 PM
Jerry M has hands the size of a 1/4Back! I've tried with my 642....good concept though. Ammo? the cheapest at WalMart (Rem. 130Gr. FMJ). I'm trying real hard to like my 642 as much as I like my LCR....having trouble with that. Best.

glockman19
November 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
OK...I go away for a week or two post the club stats and we already have a part three, Trez, III?

I thought we woudl at least get the 5,000 post max...

Well time for the post count to start again.

glockman19
November 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Wow. I leave for a few hours and we're on page 3 already.

Nem, how do you think I feel? Go away for two weeks and...new thread...already on page 5 and 100 postws into the thread?

As Official Club Secretary I will now post an updated member list and stats at post 1,000 of the 642 Club part Three, Trez, III.

A special thanks again to fiVe for starting what can only be describes as the BEST thread on the web.

Happy thanksgiving to all my 642 Brothers... and Sisters.

glockman19
November 21, 2010, 10:40 PM
Rob,

I sometimes hold my 642 with my left index finger in front of the trigger guard, I'm right handed. It sometimes gives me more control on follow-up shots. I'll take a picture and post ASAP.

glockman19
November 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome New Members:

_CY_
BamaUmp
Big_John1961
camsdaddy
LawofThirds
manthony4563
MIL-DOT
Rob1109
TheProf
whitecoyote
motorcycle-charlie

BamaUmp
November 22, 2010, 01:17 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome. Anyone here a Wofford fan that might be making the trip to Jacksonville State for the playoffs?

Hboy828
November 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
hey guys im looking for a s&w revolver but want single action.
what would be the best choice?
637?

BamaUmp
November 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
My trip to the range today was much better. I think it was due to installing the Houge Bantam grips. The stock grips just seem too hard or maybe its all in my head but I was able to punch holes in paper much better today and even backed it up a bit. I doubt I will ever be able to hit from the distance I am able to with my Glock 22 but I know thats not the purpose of the 642. I feel confident enough that if needed I could stop someone or something in their tracks in the 1-20 foot range now. Thats all I really can ask for right?

Has anyone here ever used 158 gr semi wad cutter hollow point +P for as a defense round?

Big_John1961
November 22, 2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome glockman19. I still haven't had a chance to get to the range, but I have a set of Hogue Bantam's on the way.

John Wayne
November 23, 2010, 12:23 AM
Tried the Miculek grip and absolutely hated it. Recoiled straight into my hand and made me hate shooting the gun. Felt slower and unnatural to me too.

I shoot the gun most effectively with both thumbs off to the left side, not even touching the gun. This is the only place I've found to keep them that doesn't interfere with me pulling the trigger. Doesn't look pretty or sound practical, but it works for me. My accuracy with this grip seems to average in groups that are roughly 2x the size of a group at the same range shot from a full-sized gun. Not too bad considering the platform though.

Nematocyst
November 23, 2010, 01:10 AM
hey guys im looking for a s&w revolver but want single action.
what would be the best choice?
637? If you want SA in an airweight, then yes.

readingbill
November 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
Regarding the lead time for a Mika holster - I ordered one on-line Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon I received a call from Bob that he was processing the order, and yesterday I received an e-mail that the holster was shipped.

I'm just waiting for the mail!

Incredible service.

BamaUmp
November 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Thats incredible. I hope to order mine after Christmas.

DAdams
November 23, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for stopping by and the Mika update. Times sure have changed. There was a time a couple years ago when it would take months to get a Mika!
I think earlier this year Robert said he was going to get some assistance to reduce the backlog.

BamaUmp-glad your second trip to the range was better, what roundage were you throwing? I'm sure the Bantams did help. The standard grips....well they just suck.

BamaUmp
November 24, 2010, 12:41 AM
Just some cheap 158 gr lead balls from wally world. I do believe the new grips made all the difference. Its amazing they dont come with better grips. New ones only added $20 but I dont feel like I should have to spend extra on a NIB gun to be comfortable shooting it. I'm very pleased now though and would recommend the 642 to anyone looking for an EDC.

Camjr
November 24, 2010, 12:19 PM
I put 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 135gr fmj downrange yesterday, followed by 20 rounds of my preferred carry ammo (Gold Dot 135gr +p). I started very simply-- dumping all 5 rounds into COM at both 3 and 7 yards as quickly as I could pull the trigger (front sight and GO). I later moved to double taps to COM, reassess, and one to the head on a B-27 sillouhette target at the same ranges just to change things up a bit. Repeated both drills with the Gold Dot +p. I didn't really notice too much of a difference in recoil with the Gold Dot's from the Lawman range ammo.

COM drill results--3" grouping at 3 yards, 5-7" groupings at 7 yards (again, as fast as I could pull the trigger to dump rounds into the threat). Very pleased with the results. Other drill, the 2 COM shots same result at same distances. Head shots most of the time. More practice on that one... I also ran 100 rds through an XD40 (same drills, but limiting to 5 COM at a time with the normal great results), and 50 rds each through my fathers Sig P238 and 80+ yr old Colt 1908 pocket hammerless in .380. I found I was more accurate with the 642 than the P238 (but that's a sweet little pistol) and the Colt 1908 (VERY minimal sights, but what a great shooter with a great history--it was my Grandfathers gun issued by the US Postal Service when he flew the mail in the 1920's).

It took a while to become confident in my accuracy from this little snubbie, but over the last 6 months, I feel very proficient using it. I've never felt undergunned, but knew I needed to become more accurate. I feel I'm there now, and just need to keep practicing, practicing, practicing. I did all my snubbie reloads from speed-strips as well. The Lawman 135gr fmj shoots to the same point of aim as the Gold Dot's with similar recoil. It is now my new practice ammo.

Happy Thanksgiving evereyone. Cheers!

Camjr
November 24, 2010, 12:26 PM
Regarding the lead time for a Mika holster - I ordered one on-line Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon I received a call from Bob that he was processing the order, and yesterday I received an e-mail that the holster was shipped.

Now THAT is something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season!!!

BamaUmp
November 24, 2010, 10:38 PM
Any opinions on this as a defense round?

http://georgia-arms.com/38special158grleadsemi-wadcutterhollowpointp100pk.aspx

TSmith49
November 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
I shoot them and they are dead on point of aim in my 3" model 10.
TS

BamaUmp
November 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm thinking thats a d*** good price and if its a good choice for SD you cant beat practice with your carry round.

manthony4563
November 25, 2010, 12:32 AM
Are there any discussions in Parts one, two, or three of The 642 Club about the advantages/disadvantages between the 642 and the 442? I know they are almost identical except for the finish and I wondered how the finish holds up especially on the 442. First I wanted a BG 38 w/laser. Then I wanted a 442. Now I am thinking about a 642 with S&W rosewood grips for carry and also a Hogue bantam grip for practice. Any advice?

Nematocyst
November 25, 2010, 12:57 AM
Manthony, if I could do it over again, I'd go for the 442.
Black doesn't shine in moonlight.

I'd also put on a set of Hogue Monogrips,
which are on my 642.

BamaUmp
November 25, 2010, 01:52 AM
I looked at the Monogrips but if you intend to pocket carry they are a little big. The Bantams I just bought dont seem to take up any more space than the stock grips. Personally I like the stainless look. From what I can tell they are the same gun made out of the same material just a different finish?

DAdams
November 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
Wishing you and yours a safe secure Thanksgiving Day.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/PB010026.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010006-2.jpg

MSAA
At Ease Smoke em if You Gottem

Rob1109
November 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
I have the 642 w/CT laser. When it comes to cleaning I wish I had the 442! The "Racoon Eyes" are irritating, so I just don't polish them out anymore. Advantage: you cannot miss any dirt!

BamaUmp
November 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through my 642 but so far I've had no trouble cleaning it with Hoppes #9. Cleans it up like new followed with a very light coating of oil and a silicone cloth.

wrs840
November 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have a 442 non-lock with aftermarket CT-105 grips. I agree with the idea that the black finish is the way to go for best concealment. Mine gets carried a lot in Farm-Work type conditions, is shot frequently for practice (and fun), and it cleans-up fine with Hoppes #9 and Rem-Oil.

I also have a 637 2-1/2"bbl in the bright finish w/ Factory-version CT-305 grips for when my pocket will handle something a tad larger. I like the looks of the bright finish, but probably would have bought black if the 637 was available that way.

I'm not a competition-grade shooter, so the CT grips definitely improve my groups at 21 ft, 50 feet, and 75 feet... oops I can't hit an 8.5" x 11" target reliably with the 442 at 75 feet, but I can with the 637, (longer bbl, bigger grips, SA-operation) which is why I like it "better", for when my attire allows.

Les

scottishclaymore
November 25, 2010, 08:17 PM
Not sure where I read it now (somewhere else on THR), but those rounds are supposed to have very poor expansion. So while they'd be great for practice, I'd stick to the Remington in the same bullet weight and design.

motorcycle-charlie
November 26, 2010, 09:24 AM
i keep hearing how Mika's pocket holser is the best. i have been using a Blackhawk for a while and it works well, but all the reviews and praise for the Mika got me curious enough to give it a shot. i ordered one last night, Thanksgiving night at around 9pm. about 9:05 my phone was ringing. it was Robert Mika himself.he wanted to thank me for my order and tell me a little more about his product. i thought that was great. we talked for 5 mins or so and he said my holster would ship out monday. thats fast. i cant wait to get it . you dont get that communication on a personal level any where. i'm very happy about it.

Camjr
November 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
i keep hearing how Mika's pocket holser is the best. i have been using a Blackhawk for a while and it works well, but all the reviews and praise for the Mika got me curious enough to give it a shot. i ordered one last night, Thanksgiving night at around 9pm. about 9:05 my phone was ringing. it was Robert Mika himself.he wanted to thank me for my order and tell me a little more about his product. i thought that was great. we talked for 5 mins or so and he said my holster would ship out monday. thats fast. i cant wait to get it . you dont get that communication on a personal level any where. i'm very happy about it.

Great to hear Robert has finally turned around his backlog issues, and remains the same great guy to do business with. I'm glad he's able to call people and tell them about the quick turnaround now rather than having to personally call people and apologize for the delays due to heavy demand.

MC, you will really appreciate the holster. You look at it and think that it can't be that special, but it's a great example of function over frill.

Cheers!

scottishclaymore
November 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
Sweet. Sounds like it's time to order a Mika then.

DAdams
November 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have followed Average Joe's Blog now for some time. I don't always concur with his conclusions (sold his M&P 340 twice :banghead:) but there is a wealth of information on his site and his reviews are quite thorough. He gets to handle alot of hardware and if you are shopping, it's always worthwhile seeing if he has reviewed something you might be considering.

Here is a 642 review from earlier in the year. I think you will enjoy the site overall.

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/search/label/Concealed%20Carry%20Handguns

Cemo
November 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
There a five well loved 642's in my family, that I know of. Two in my household.

scottishclaymore
November 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
Interesting review, DAdams. Honestly I must say AverageJoe needs to spend some more trigger time with his 642. They are capable of a much greater level of accuracy than his review would indicate.

This makes me think... I'll be getting out to the range within the next week or so (possibly next weekend. Anybody interested in a little informal marksmanship contest? Possibly 3 cylinders from your 642 into a silhouette at 7 yards? Anybody up for it?

BamaUmp
November 29, 2010, 02:52 AM
I ordered a Mika late Saturday night. Got an email about an hour later saying it would be shipped Wednesday. Great service!

DAdams
November 29, 2010, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the fold. You certainly are over qualified. You now have a fiVe year membership for having fiVe 642s in the family. ;)

Welcome also to Rob1109. Raccoon eyes....ain't they the pits? The upside that's what Lead Away cloth is for. Just don't get it anywhere near a blue or black finish.

Hello to WRS 840. That's some strong shooting. Specially knee deep in soybeans. ;)

Anybody interested in a little informal marksmanship contest? Possibly 3 cylinders from your 642 into a silhouette at 7 yards?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P3020049-1.jpg
IIRC this was my first trip to the range with my 642 years ago....I probably put 15 rounds through and then shot this group. pre-laser.

This attempt was slightly better....at 15 feet versus 21.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P3020051-1.jpg

Then, the carry ammunition with CT Grips...a marked improvement

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P4280043-3.jpg

Here's what big grips will do for control. Hogue Monogrips on a M&P 340 shooting 357 Magnum @ 25 feet with Speer Gold Dot For Short Barrel part number 23917. A couple of flyers.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/PA230001-3.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that Monogrips are the way to go if you have deep pockets or IWB/OWB carry.

Here is where the HMG sets in a inexpensive Uncle Mikes IWB. Definitely need a lower rider.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P9040021-1-1.jpg

Rob1109
November 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
Those "Racoon Eyes" are irriatating(sp?) but, as someone pointed out, they will happen everytime I shoot, so forget 'em. Something to be said for the 442!

BamaUmp
November 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
Just got back from a business trip to Florida. Just picked up 100 rounds of LSWC 158 grn +P. Hope to test it out if the weather ever dries up today. The lady at Georgia Ammo was very nice and helpful. Price was great so we shall see.

Rob1109
November 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
"Just got back from a business trip to Florida. Just picked up 100 rounds of LSWC 158 grn +P. Hope to test it out if the weather ever dries up today. The lady at Georgia Ammo was very nice and helpful. Price was great so we shall see. "

Now you'll find out just how light that 642 really is. Just use a Death Grip!. Also, try some Buffalo Bore 158Gr. +P's. Real Fun!!!!

BamaUmp
November 30, 2010, 11:08 PM
Dont plan on using it as practice ammo all the time but for 11.50 per 50 I might.

Rob1109
December 1, 2010, 01:00 AM
That's very cheap! I wish I could find that price! for 50? The best around here is Wal-Mart Remington 130Gr. FMJ for 18.00.....

BamaUmp
December 1, 2010, 02:27 AM
Very cheap. I had been looking at their website and thought maybe the prices hadn't been updated. Had the chance to stop by on my way home from Atlanta today. Walked out with two 50 round bags in 158 gr.+p at 11.50 per bag. I know someone said it might not expand as much as others but at the price I feel comfortable it has enough stopping power. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm very new to .38 special rounds but this is the standard "FBI" round right?

BTW the best boxes I've found come from Academy Sports. Hinged boxes made by plano for less than 2 each.

5-SHOTS
December 1, 2010, 06:15 AM
First of all congratulations to all the Members of The Never Ending Thread: Part Three…amazing!

Unfortunately I have to post an unbelievable problem occurred, last week, to my beloved S&W 649-1 Bodyguard.
Since it was the gun I always kept loaded when I was at home (just because it NEVER failed me before), I was checking everything worked well, as I periodically did. After a few dryfires, the trigger was not returning fully forward, stopping itself at about 2/3 of the travel; I only had to touch the hammer spur and the trigger always returned to the rest position. So I decided to remove the side plate thinking it was an easy fix (something connected to the hammer block safety lever snagging somewhere, I was guessing) and SURPRISE: the hammer stud was broken!

After a close inspection I’ve discovered that the hammer stud was defective from day one: as you can see on the pics I’ve posted (second pic, red circle), there was only a thiny portion of steel in the central diameter of the stud itself that was “working” and was evidently not enought…
The steel around that area appears to be porous and of low density just like a pot metal toy car: a casting defect, I guess.

The serial number of the gun is BEU34XX,but I don’t know the manufacturing year because I’ve purchased it used from the first owner, two years ago,in like new conditions (only 5 rounds fired, no drag line on the cylinder, no drops signs, etc.). I put only 800 rounds from it since and dryfired it probably 1600 times. And I’ve always treated the gun like it was made of gold. Considering the “internal” conditions of the stud, it’s been a miracle that the gun is been able to fire 800 rounds and withstand some dryfiring…

It is the first time I’ve seen and heard a breakage like that and the smith that inspected the gun, that has 30 years of experience, told me the very same thing.
Now the gun is back to the S&W's italian importer and I hope it will be fixed well and quickly. Anyway I’ll report you everything once it will be at home again.

The breakage occurred to my gun has changed my mind about the Internal Lock: as someone said, there are too many parts can fail instead of the Lock. That was the case on my no-Lock, no-MIM S&W…

Does anyone experienced the same issue on a S&W revolver (dropped guns apart)?.

Best regards, 5-SHOTS.

DAdams
December 1, 2010, 10:46 AM
Regarding the "FBI Load" you should find this article interesting.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/Image46.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/federal38G2.jpg

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38%20Special%20158gr%20LSWCHP.htm

That article is a bit dated and actually Federal Nyclad is available today and is there for citizen consumption.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=&q=federal+nyclad+38+special&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1364911667702391968&ei=wWD2TKCuOYKglAfu54WqBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8wIwAA#

Personally I would use it (I have a few boxes around) yet after five years of monitoring the the market and reading the test reports I am sticking with SGDFSB in my 340 and Buffalo Bore (20C) standard pressure in the Wife's 642 for carry purposes.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

For your reading pleasure....Buffalo Bore stats on their Plus P (FBI equivalent).
Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/detail_108_20a-150.jpg

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

M.Cunningham
December 1, 2010, 05:54 PM
Here is my contribution, just got my new 642 last week. I had one once before and sold it, just had to have another one! I'll never be selling this one! Galco IWB holster, love that new leather smell!

motorcycle-charlie
December 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
Recieved my Mika pocket holster today. immediately swapped it out with the Blackhawk i have been wearing. the Mika is noticeably more comfortable. My question is about the draw. when you draw from this holster, do you put your hand IN the holster and get full contact with the gun? with my Blackhawk my trigger finger is on the outside of the holster when i draw. with the Mika, it has to be inside, to get a full grip without having to re adjust position. i dont have a problem with this as with the reinforced mouth it looks like this may be just a smart design. let me know what you Mika owners think about this.

DAdams
December 1, 2010, 09:56 PM
Great photo. Don't let this one get away!! I can almost smell the wood and leather.

Who had the best price on the holster?

Nematocyst
December 2, 2010, 02:42 AM
I nominate M. Cunningham for best club photo of the year.

Welcome in.

Relevant story.

I recently (months ago) move across the continent
after my business failed on the left coast.
(Glad to be away from there. Another story.)

Left my 642, 65, 336, and 39 out there.
(Because I moved here in a backpack and duffel bag.)

Since being here, in upper New England,
I've faced two situations where I wished I had my 642.

Sooner than later, I'll have them shipped out.

Carry on.

PS: I'm now in the 10k club.

DAdams
December 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Question for mika pocket holster owners

That's going to depend on the pocket I think. I tried with today's (small right hand pocket in some Columbia cargos) attire and if I were going to do a quick draw I might have to regrip. Under no circumstances though would I put my finger(s) in the holster. A) It is too tight B) It could be asking for a premature withdraw discharge. :eek:
In some larger pockets I am able to get a sufficient grip; index finger along side the holster and come out clean with a high grip and no repositioning necessary.

You may want to pickup (add) a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and have something that may be more appropriate to the pants pocket. They are relatively inexpensive and like most all holsters there is not one that is appropriate for all occassions.

DAdams
December 2, 2010, 12:33 PM

Congrats on your 10k posts.

And yes, you better get those shootin irons out to the East Coast. I fein troubled times ahead. :uhoh:

motorcycle-charlie
December 2, 2010, 12:44 PM
it almost seems like my gun sits about a half inch too deep in the Mika. my fingers hit the holster before i can get a proper grip on the gun. went back to using my Blackhawk for now untill i get this figured out. i have a S&W 442 with an 1-7/8 barrel. seems like a 2-1/8 or even 2-1/2 barrel would fit perfectly. any one else have this issue?

DAdams
December 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
Here is how mine lines up. Due to the way it is lying it actually might be 1/8 inch higher (further out) than when vertical in the pocket.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/P5150002.jpg

Covers the trigger and guard as it should.

Can you post a couple pictures with the X42 in the holster?

Did you put try raising it slightly in the holster with a temporary spacer to see how it feel/works?

Actually you are the first Mika user I have heard with an issue. Is yours roundcut or square?

Perhaps your holster isn't right or perhaps you are not accustomed to it yet. I'm sure that if it is out of specification Robert will address your concerns. You may want to call him as he is readily available by phone and has made thousands of these holsters.

There are many other pocket holsters out there too that may be more to your liking.

JoeH
December 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
It appears the design has changed. I got mine about a month ago. My 442 sits much deeper than yours. I also had to trim it in front of the CT button. It was more sqaure and very ubcomfortable

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/images/mika.jpg

M.Cunningham
December 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
Great photo. Don't let this one get away!! I can almost smell the wood and leather.

Who had the best price on the holster?
I just got it in the gunshop when I recieved the gun, it was $65.

M.Cunningham
December 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
I nominate M. Cunningham for best club photo of the year.

Welcome in.

Relevant story.

I recently (months ago) move across the continent
after my business failed on the left coast.
(Glad to be away from there. Another story.)

Left my 642, 65, 336, and 39 out there.
(Because I moved here in a backpack and duffel bag.)

Since being here, in upper New England,
I've faced two situations where I wished I had my 642.

Carry on.

Thanks a lot!

motorcycle-charlie
December 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
this is the Mika and the Blackhawk. the Blackhawk allows for a nice full grip with the trigger finger outside the holster and no need to readjust after the draw. with the Mika, my fingers are blocked by the backside of the holster because the gun sits too low inside it. i cannot get a full grip on the gun unless i put my hand and trigger finger INSIDE the holster. the front high part also blocks my hand when reaching for the gun. i am trying to like the MIKA, but it makes my gun almost inaccesable in a swift manner. i just think this is a case of "what works for some people doesnt work for everyone." it also appears to me that the design has changed slightly from the ones produced a while ago. look at the stitching around the mouth compared to an older one.

Camjr
December 2, 2010, 09:52 PM
The newer Mika's do seem to be deeper than mine (made April 2008 based on Robert's note inside the holster)--I'd say about 1/2" - 3/4". Mine looks like DAdams' Mika.

Cheers!

DAdams
December 2, 2010, 10:38 PM
It appears that perhaps the Mika's with more "shroud" would be appropriate to a revolver/J Frame with a hammer?

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Robert and talk to him about this or drop him an email, he has a "contact us" email address. I'm sure he will work with you to the point of complete satisfaction.

He is on the West Coast so take into account the time difference.

motorcycle-charlie
December 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low. he thinks something got mixed up and that holster was made for a longer barrel j-frame. he is going to make me a new one and send it out right away. i am very pleased with his communication and he sounds like a really nice guy and someone easy to do buisness with. in my opinion, great customer service goes a long way. it is also nice to see people that are passionate about the products they produce and want them to function the way they are intended.

DAdams
December 3, 2010, 02:49 PM
Its Privileges....

I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low

Benefit from sharing information.

Nematocyst
December 3, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mr. Robert Mika, as an owner of one of your fine holsters, and a long-standing member of this club, I sincerely thank you for being the person that you are. What superb customer service, to read about a problem with one of your holsters on the Internet and contact the customer about it.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

We are very glad that you are along for the ride with us here.

Other holster manufacturers (and gun makers, too) should take note.

Nem

BamaUmp
December 4, 2010, 05:07 AM
Good customer service is hard to find these days.

JoeH
December 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
I also talked to Mr. Mika. Super nice guy. He is sending me a newholster.

He also took the time to help me with questions about a holster for my Glock 26.

I will be definitely ordering from him again

motorcycle-charlie
December 4, 2010, 01:04 PM
thats great to hear JoeH. it seems Mr. Mika is really dedicated to his buisness and his customers. alot of people in the 642 club have his products and love them. positive word of mouth from the guys who wear his holster every day is the best form of advertising for a small buisness owner, and the fact that you can talk directly to the man who produces them really takes the personality of each holster to the next level. its good stuff.

rdrancher
December 5, 2010, 11:48 AM
I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low.
I also talked to Mr. Mika. Super nice guy. He is sending me a newholster.

Yes indeed, Robert Mika is a rare breed in this make-a-quick-buck world we live in.

rd

BamaUmp
December 6, 2010, 12:09 AM
A little off topic but I've been considering putting together a SIMPLE go bag. I'm not really a SHTF kinda guy but I do travel often. Sometimes several hundred miles over the course of any given night. I try to stay on interstates but sometimes I have to take roads that are even sometimes unpaved and in the middle of no where. I want some ideas on a simple go bag to maybe keep in the truck with me.

I live in a fairly rural area in Alabama so my get the crap away from everyone is only about 5 min from my residence. Its also an 80 acre farm so I'm not looking for ideas about having a truck load of stuff to take with me anywhere. Just a simple plan for a small go bag, ideas for a bag are appreciated as well.

Gato Montés
December 6, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'm sure it's been addressed, but my internet foo is weak, thus I turn to the great wizards of the 642 Club!

Have any of the alloy frames on the Airweights been anodized from the factory. My understanding is that aluminum (alloy) will not rust, but can erode, usually due to salt deposits. Or is the only protection on the 642 that crappy clear coat that seems to always want to peel off.

308win
December 6, 2010, 08:35 AM
A little off topic but I've been considering putting together a SIMPLE go bag.

If there is one of these threads at S&T there are dozens.

DAdams
December 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
Here is a quick Google seach and oh what fun....

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1W1RNWO_en&q=bug+out+bag+contents&aq=2&oq=bug+out+

I have three different scenario bags, and they even change seasonally.

Not to get to far afield but I prefer somthing that can be put on the back. A BOB so to speak doesn't appeal to me for treks more than a mile or so max. Hence I look more to backpacks and maybe a lighter backpack that can go to frontpack for easy access, (handgun).

I am working up a new one as we speak based on a new Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger. It's smaller than it looks so I am concentrating on very lightweight and a minimalist approach and can become a front pack.

I found a nice inexpenisive framed backpack on sale at Dicks last year to use as a possible BOB.
I too travel quite a bit but in a mid size SUV. I put my necessaries in a cooler (you pick the size), that way I can move it in and out easily to free up space, I then keep the backpack, unpacked but in the vehicle for ease of storage, but if necessary I can take out what I need from the cooler if I have to bail and put it in the backpack.

DAdams
December 6, 2010, 11:56 AM
Try this Google search on for size.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1W1RNWO_en&q=s%26w+642+finish&aq=0&oq=S%26W+642+fin

A worn finish gives the 642 "personality". ;)

Camjr
December 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
A worn finish gives the 642 "personality".

Agreed. Scars are souveniers, just like on me...

Mine is showing some nice love marks on the right rear where the backstrap stops and on the front left at the crane from being snuggled tight in it's Mika or Nemesis.

Cheers!

Gato Montés
December 7, 2010, 01:38 AM
A worn finish gives the 642 "personality".

Also agreed.

I suppose I worded the question wrong. What I'm wondering is if the clear coat provides any sort of protection against corrosion. If it's nothing more than cosmetic, I don't give a rats ass how it looks, but if the finish is there for protection I want to go out of my way to preserve it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also; got my rebate check in the mail today. It took a total of a week and two months to get it in, in case anyone is waiting on theirs.

DAdams
December 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
I would use the 642 the way it is intended; carry it, your way.
I would also wipe it down at the end of the day with Hoppes Elite (nothing with ammonia which was used in cleaners apparently), particularly in humid, salt ladden environments, body oils etc.
Lead Away Cloths only on the cylinder if "racoon eyes" bother you and keep it off the clearcoat.

It seems (from reading 10 threads going back to 2007) that if the clearcoat finally wears off to a point of annoyance S&W will refinish it.

Here the rub...;) Clearcoat finish over anodized aluminum alloy. Once the alloy is laid bare then I guess you might see corrosion, maybe. If you have ever seen aluminum oxide, it looks like a white powder and cleans right off. Hence long term degradation with zero maintenance is in decades if not longer. Aeshetics yes, operability issue I can't see it with my limited metalurgical experience.

I went over to the S&W Forum and came up with these threads. It validates my data:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/searchresults.php?cx=partner-pub-2376253589436827%3Asiodb9lchnk&cof=FORID%3A9&q=642+finish&sa=Go#866

I will certainly stand corrected if anyone comes up with something more of substance since my 642-2 does night stand duty, and doesn't even see daylight.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1W1RNWO_en&q=s%26w+642+finish&aq=0m&oq=642+finish

Gato Montés
December 7, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks DAdams, that's what I wanted to know.:)

CoRoMo
December 7, 2010, 03:45 PM
Okay, let me hijack for a minute...

What's the best grip for arthritic hands? Pach/Decelerator?

Mom carries shot shells in her 642 because she can't stand the recoil of any other loading at all. Maybe a better grip will get her shooting wadcutters.

DAdams
December 7, 2010, 05:02 PM
Does Mom carry or is this a HD revolver?

If size is not an issue you might try the Hogue Monogrips unless here hands are very petite. The other popular grip here around are the Hogue Bantams but I cannot personally atest to their felt recoil mitigation characteristics.

In my view the Crimson Trace 405s are helpful in that department with the backstrap rubber being relative thick and an airspace void setting up additional cushioning. The 305s even more so since the rubber covers the entire backstrap. Of course a laser dot is certainly no hinderance when the chips are down. Get this, they even have a thirty day risk free offer.

I have found best prices for CT from Optics Planet, although CT has $30 off ($269 total) any laser sight plus free shipping through 12.25.10. Merry Christmas Mom?

CoRoMo
December 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
Yep, this is her carry gun. She has average size hands I'd say.

I'll check those grips out. Thanks!
I'm thinking about this for Christmas, but I'm not going to get CT grips. I'm looking in the Hogue/Pachmayr price range. She told me that she'd trade me her 642 for a Taurus 941 snub, if I'd find one and buy it. I don't want to do that, but for the price of the CT grips, I could just get her the Taurus.

The Monogrips look about as good as the Decelerators. The Bantams might be a bit small. I figure giving her more handle will do a lot to tame the blow.

Thanks again.

Nematocyst
December 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
I LOVE my Monogrips on my little beast.
They allow exquisite control.

Of course, I don't pocket carry.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47596&d=1163062320

bobmcd
December 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
Would Monogrips be a Bad Thing for pocket carry? It's pretty much the only way I carry, on those rare occasions that I do. If they make for better shooting, I may need to consider getting them (considering how badly I shoot at the moment).

jfh
December 7, 2010, 11:46 PM
bob, I think the only pockets that will hold j-frames / et.al. with a Hogue Monogrip installed are 'cargo' pockets, the odd pair of jeans with really deep pockets, or those of us who have custom-tailoreded our carry pockets.

The price on them is right--so just get one and try it.

CoRoMo: Do look hard at the Pacmayr Compacs. See my gun pictures (360, 340, etc.) about page 41-42 of part Two.

Jim H.

DAdams
December 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
Would Monogrips be a Bad Thing for pocket carry? It's pretty much the only way I carry, on those rare occasions that I do. If they make for better shooting, I may need to consider getting them (considering how badly I shoot at the moment).

At around $20 I would get a set and give them a try. When it comes to range practice, they are a bit like "training wheels" and you should be able to improve your skill sets with them since they provide A) Large secure platform B) Recoil reduction potential. If you have adequate pockets for concealment they are fine. I tried them and they were only suitable in about 1/3 of the slacks and shorts I wear, otherwise they would expose.

You know what I would like to see....overlay or dimensional comparison of Hogue Monogrips with Crimson Trace 305s (the larger ones). I'm (continue) toying with picking up a set.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/opplanet-crimson-lasergrips-for-smith-and-wesson-j-frame-2.jpg

I know I would like them, but are they too large for most pockets?

Here is a CT Forum link to FAQ section on the CT Website. No dimensions, but described as full grip.
Guess I will have to get my Hogues out and refresh my memory.

http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33878.0

jfh
December 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
I have both a 305 and the Hogue Monogrip, DAdams, but no comparison photos. I'll see if I can't do a couple and post them up here. I'm out of town for a couple of days, so by the end of the week, perhaps...

added on edit: I can tell you right now, however, that the conceal-ability of the 305s is about the same as the Monogrips--very close. The grip material is pretty firm, but does offer some cushioning in the web, so not quite as helpful there. But, overall, a comfortable grip for me shoot with. Were I to have a j-frame as a bedside gun, the 305s would be on it.

I currently have them on a 640, which I usually underarm carry now.

Jim H.

DAdams
December 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
I currently have them on a 640, which I usually underarm carry now.

Hey Jim hope all is well. What underarm rig are you using? Is that mostly a cold weather carry option?

Nematocyst
December 8, 2010, 10:45 PM
What underarm rig are you using?I'm interested in that as well,
and how the accessibility is relative to pocket or OWB carry.

308win
December 9, 2010, 09:24 AM
Pocket carry doesn't work as well as other forms when you are sitting. I don't pocket carry that often any longer for that reason.

DAdams
December 9, 2010, 12:45 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/holster_front_med.jpg

How about this lashup? Dueling 642s. :eek:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Handguns/holster_closeup_med.jpg

If jt1 got two more X42 he could do a QUAD Carry.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/SmartCarryjtstyle-1.jpg

Nematocyst
December 9, 2010, 11:47 PM
Here's an interesting and relevant thread (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=558878).

DAdams
December 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
Here's an interesting and relevant thread.

That's an awesome thread. :D Thanks MC Charlie. We love snub stuff. :evil:

motorcycle-charlie
December 10, 2010, 07:37 AM
That's an awesome thread. :D Thanks MC Charlie. We love snub stuff. :evil:
No problem DAdams. a BIG thanks to you and everyone that posts there. i really am enjoying checking out all the makes and models people carry and collect. i cant get enough of the snub pictures. keep em comming. the 642 club is what inspired me to start that thread. snubs are just cool.

BamaUmp
December 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
I'm starting to think I want a cheap 22 lr revolver. I own a glock 22 and a 642. I have found the revolver very enjoyable to shoot. 5 round through the 642 are more fun than 15 through the glock. Anyway I want something cheap for plinking, target shooting, snake and rat killing thais wt kinda thing. My grandfather had a 22lr revolver when I was growing up and I have no idea what happened to it. So any suggestions on an inexpensive 22lr revolver, I prefer snub nosed if I can find one. Really dont care what it looks like as long as it fires.

Got my mika pocket holster today....WOW that sucker really is well made. I'm set now after getting a pair of speed strips off of ebay. Might spend some time at the range tomorrow with the two boxes of georgia ammo I picked up.

BamaUmp
December 11, 2010, 02:41 AM
Has one had engraving done on their 642?

rdrancher
December 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
BamaUmp

If you like that Mika now, just wait till it gets worn in!

308win
December 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
So any suggestions on an inexpensive 22lr revolver If you can find a High Standard Sentinel for the right money you can't go wrong for a well made, inexpensive 9 shot. There aren't a lot of inexpensive .22 revolvers to pick from that are worth owning. I don't remember what I gave for my Sentinel (bought it new in late 60's; probably around $50-60) but it has been one of my best buys.

Camjr
December 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
If you like that Mika now, just wait till it gets worn in!

Mine's coming up on 3 years old and gets carried probably 65-70% of the time over my Nemesis for the 642. Both are really broken in. Mika is also flexible enough to not be an issue if I move it to the other pocket.

Camjr
December 11, 2010, 11:35 AM
I've been reading a thread on another forum about Remora clipless holsters and find myself intrigued, but still somewhat skeptical despite all the praise heaped upon the product. From what I can see online, the Remora doesn't appear much different in construction or material from a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster that many of use daily.

Has anyone tried using a Nemesis IWB with a 642 while going about their daily business, moving, getting up and down, etc.? How does it work?

I'm going to try in as an IWB holster today and report back.

Cheers!

308win
December 11, 2010, 12:34 PM
Just a reminder but Mika makes a clip on IWB and he will construct the cant to your specs. Mine works well.

BamaUmp
December 12, 2010, 02:58 AM
I want to thank everyone that recommended the Mika pocket holster. Used it for several hours today. Even when I ordered it I didnt think it could be all that much better than the Uncle Mikes that I had. Boy was I wrong. Talk about a perfect fit for a jean pocket!

Camjr
December 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
I've been reading a thread on another forum about Remora clipless holsters and find myself intrigued, but still somewhat skeptical despite all the praise heaped upon the product. From what I can see online, the Remora doesn't appear much different in construction or material from a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster that many of use daily.

Has anyone tried using a Nemesis IWB with a 642 while going about their daily business, moving, getting up and down, etc.? How does it work?

I'm going to try in as an IWB holster today and report back.

Reporting back...

I tried the 642 carried IWB in the Nemesis pocket holster without a clip and was very pleased with the result. Similar to the threads I've seen about the new Remora clipless holster, the Nemesis didn't budge. I walked the dog, cleaned house, piddled around in the garage, ran errands, jumped in and out of the car, etc. No movement whatsoever, and it was very comfortable. Several times during the day, I grabbed the revolver's grip to try to move the holster, and it stayed put. It moved much less than a clip-on holster that may slide forward and back. The Nemesis wouldn't move--it was locked in tight. I tried it both against the skin and against a tucked in t-shirt--similar results. I also tried it with pocketless sweatpants with just a drawstring and generated the same results. It doesn't move.

Bottom line--I'll still carry the 642 in the pocket in it's Mika or Nemesis, but it's nice to have an option if needed.

Cheers!

rdrancher
December 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
Mika is also flexible enough to not be an issue if I move it to the other pocket.

I also switch pockets quite a bit. Doing routine ranch work I keep a Gerber, clip-on folding knife strong side, since it's more likely that I'll have to use it in a hurry. When I'm working construction, or in town, the knife switches sides with my 642 and Mika holster.

You're correct, the Mika performs equally well on either side. The Nemesis takes on more of a body curve shape, and the Uncle Mike's gets that strange little nub at the bottom, off to one side. In addition, I have never been able to draw for the Nemesis without a finger push-off, and re-holstering with the Uncle Mike's is almost impossible in most of my jeans. The Mika always gives me a clean draw and re-holstering has never been a problem. These days, when pocket carry is the mode for the day (which is almost always) the Mika gets the call-to-duty 100% of the time.

In the truck I have a spot that I keep the little j-frame wedged in, also protected by the Mika. It's adequately secure (probably not in the event of a roll-over) and the draw works the same, the Mika stays put.

Obviously, I have much praise for the design of the Mika pocket holster, for the inexpensive price and for the maker himself. It's a great product!

Camjr We must live fairly close to each other. I'm just West of Denton and East of Decatur.

rd

Camjr
December 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Camjr We must live fairly close to each other. I'm just West of Denton and East of Decatur.

Just down the road a bit in Lewisville.

Cheers!

Vanderbilt
December 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm ashamed to say I "bubba'd" my 642 when removing the internal lock - I used a slightly-too-large screwdriver and shaved a bit off the sideplate (it's amazing how soft this aluminum is). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement sideplate? It's purely an aesthetic issue since I'm not considering selling it, but it bothers me...anyone have any ideas?

DAdams
December 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
a trick question is it? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement sideplate?

Have you tried Smith and Wesson Customer Service? Parts Department.

*2000 POST*

At Ease. SIYG. MSAA.

motorcycle-charlie
December 14, 2010, 02:52 PM
Congratulations on your 2,000th post DAdams. lookin foreward to many more of your posts and pictures.

Gato Montés
December 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
Silly me, didn't post a picture of her yet.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x341/wadcutter38/100_1170-1.jpg?t=1292352888

And congrats DA!

DAdams
December 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Nasser. Thanks for the picture.

Looks good without that hole in the side!!

Thanks MC. Congratulations on your 2,000th post DAdams

lookin foreward to many more of your posts and pictures.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010012.jpg

motorcycle-charlie
December 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
DA.. i noticed you really like the CT Laser Grips on your snubs.. are those the 205s? how well do they carry in the pocket compared to stock grips? do they snag for you? i thought about getting the 105s for mine..they seem about the same size and low profile as stock but are plastic. i really dont want plastic grips on my snub but have been considering it. does anyone have the plastic 105s? if so how do you like them? pictures?

DAdams
December 14, 2010, 10:47 PM
MC I have Crimson Trace grips on two snubs. Both are 405s, the smaller but more "rubbery" ones. Do they snag? Not at all. The 105s the hard plastic ones offer no recoil reduction and have no on/off switch like the 305 and 405s. They do carry about the same as the stock boot grips. Just a tad larger perhaps but nothing to prohibit pocket carry like the full size grip 305s.
If I had my druthers, our 642 nightstand revolver would have the 305s since it never gets pocket carried anymore. The S&W M&P 340 is my most constant companion revolver.

What is the difference between the CT for J Frames 105, 205, 305 and 405?

http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33878.0

Check out the Crimson Trace website and the FAQ section, they go into all the versions and applications per size.

bdb benzino
December 16, 2010, 05:42 AM
Just joined the club!! I have had a 638 for almost a year, but just traded my Glock 27 for a 642-2 with the S&W Crimson Trace grips on it!! I love it and love the grips as well. I have a weakness for S&W snubs, as I also have a S&W model 12-3 Airweight on layaway at my LGS right now. Help me!! Oh wait, I like this sickness.

rdrancher
December 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
bdb benzino Welcome and congrats! Pics?

rd

bdb benzino
December 16, 2010, 04:53 PM
Here you go!!:D

readingbill
December 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
I bought a 642 Thursday - the local gunshop had a 12 percent off on all new handguns, and that combined with the $50 rebate put the price at around 390 before tax and transfer. Good deal, I thought. I put in some snap caps to start smoothing things out with some dryfiring sessions. After a couple hundred dryfires, I could feel the staging getting more pronounced. Then when I dryfired several times in a row, not quick succession, the pull got progressively harder until the trigger almost locked. It did it with both snap caps and without, so the snap caps weren't binding. When I give it a rest, it starts out pulling ok but then gets progressively harder. I figure the rebound slide must be binding. I called the shop, and they'll be sending it back to S&W. I had smoothed out the trigger pull on my used 317 by replacing the mainspring and the rebound spring with the Wolff spring pack. I also smoothed out the rebound slide, and the 317 has a better, smoother pull now than the 624, which is unusual since the 317 is a .22. My questions are whether anyone else had the trigger pull problem and whether S&W would smooth out the rebound slide and replace the rebound spring with my extra 14 pound rebound spring from my previous Wolff spring pack if I enclosed it and wrote them a note.. Is the stock rebound spring on a 642 about 16 pounds? Anyway, this is the first new Smith I've bought, so I'd like to get a nice, smooth trigger on it without voiding the warranty by doing my own little gunsmithing later on.

DAdams
December 19, 2010, 11:07 AM
readingbill welcome. Isn't that just annoying as heck to have to send a brand new anything back. Fortunately S&W CS is good, but at this time of year it will no doubt take longer. I had to send my 642 back one time, something internal broke or came unglued early on.

Through the S&W Performance Shop, they offer-

Master Revolver Action Package $155
Trigger Stop
Chamfer Charge Holes
Polish Rebound Spring, Hammer Stud and Yoke Barrel Bosses
Detail Lockwork Surfaces
Stone Hammer and Trigger Contact Areas
Test Fire for Function
Express Service $175

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757909_-1_757776_757751_image

JFH posted an outfit somewhere in this new thread that did his action workover and he seems to be very pleased.

MIL-DOT
December 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
(quote) "I bought a 642 Thursday - the local gunshop had a 12 percent off on all new handguns, and that combined with the $50 rebate put the price at around 390 before tax and transfer."

Just wondering, you bought a gun at a local shop, and they charged a transfer fee?

jt1
December 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
If jt1 got two more X42 he could do a QUAD Carry.

Hmmmm....it is almost Christmas...:D

rdrancher
December 19, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmmm....it is almost Christmas.

Oh yeah...can't forget to get myself something...:D

readingbill
December 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The info on the custom shop is something to look into, DAdam. I wonder if there's a discount or some consideration for having to send it back - since they'll have to crack it open and do some handwork and fitting anyway, i would think. I'll try writing them with those types of questions when I send it back with the explanation of what is wrong. I would rather take this route anyway than ask for a new, replacement gun. Mil-Dot, I misspoke - there was a $10 background check fee. I'll keep you all updated on how it turns out.

johnnylaw53
December 20, 2010, 08:04 AM
"Just wondering, you bought a gun at a local shop, and they charged a transfer fee?"

MIL-DOT here in south Texas lots of shops charge "add on fees" maybe that what he was talking about, shops here charge to do the NCIC check. Some as much as $20.00 you have to watch then and show them your CCW since in Texas with it they don't have to run it"

be safe

308win
December 20, 2010, 09:13 AM
$299+tax after rebate

readingbill
December 20, 2010, 06:34 PM
I talked to a customer service guy at Smith and Wesson. He says there's a j-frame action package that isn't listed on the website for $75.

Now I have to see whether I can get a discount on it since the trigger pull is problematic, and they'll have to pop it open under warranty anyway. The guy said it would be $75 regardless. I'll try again when they receive it and see what happens.

DAdams
December 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah...can't forget to get myself something...

I took care my own damn sef reel gud areadee!!;) EBR:eek:

motorcycle-charlie
December 21, 2010, 08:55 AM
i know some of you guys must ankle carry your x42 from time to time. i am looking to possibly ankle carry at work because my usual pocket or appendix positions get in the way too much with my job. most of the time my j-frame gets locked in my tool box for a good portion of the day. i need something that will fit over an 8 inch work boot and be comfortable for 10-12 hr. work days. low profile and stable is also needed. i am willing to pay for a good one. it just has to work.

rdrancher
December 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
MC - I haven't ankle carried my 642, but I keep hearing the word "Renegade" whenever the subject comes up. http://www.gmstactical.com/reanho.html

ferretray
December 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
Alessi makes a fantastic ankle rig.

TomKulwicki
December 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is Tom Kulwicki, the new owner of my best friends holster business, Alessi, along with Lou's wife Ida and daughter Alex. After Louie's death, we decided to carry on in his name and produce holsters EXACTLY the way Lou taught us. My wife and Ida went to high school together, so I had the pleasure of spending time with Louie for over 25 years. There were many lessons in the shop, not only how to work with leather, but how to work with people. Louie would share his knowledge with anyone who asked, a finer gentleman you will never find. Every day I try to live up to his reputation, it isn't easy, but I never give up trying. I learned a lot over the 25 years and still learning today.

We have in our shop all of the equipment that Louie used, dies, molds, tools etc., including Mary Lou, who was with Louie when he made his first holster over 34 years ago in his basement. Mary Lou checked every holster before it left the shop for Louie and still does today.

We've moved to a newer, larger more modern facility that has allowed us to add 2 additional sewing machines and more people. My daughter Katie has joined us as Office Manager and John, an experienced sewer that worked with Lou for nearly 12 years. This has helped us to fill all of Louie's prepaid backorders of close to 1700 because it was the "right" thing to do, as well as keep up with the Government contracts and normal everyday orders.

As we produce holsters the way Louie did, one at a time, we stand by our product and still guarantee them for life as Louie did, or I should say as long as you own your weapon. So if one of our patented Talon clips fail, or a snap breaks, please return your holster to me for an immediate repair or replacement at no charge. Our web site is www.alessigunholsters.com and our phone number is 716-706-0321. Lou loved to talk on the phone and I will always take your call or if you like, you can email me at: tom@alessigunholsters.com.

We pride ourselves on producing holsters that are 100% USA materials and outstanding customer service and we want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase, if for any reason you are not, please let me know and I'll do whatever is necessary to make it right, the same way Louie did.

Thank you to all of our customers for your continued support,
Tom

DAdams
December 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
For a Merry Christmas.

May 2011 be an outstanding year.
God Bless and Cheers.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010014.jpg

scottishclaymore
December 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all of my fellow 642'ers. I'm on the road this holiday weekend, trusty 642 riding in my strong-side pocket. Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

December 24, 2010, 02:38 PM
I picked up a new 642-2 this morning. I hope that I will enjoy it as much as you guys do. It seems to be a very nice revolver.

DAdams
December 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hope you get many years of use from your 642.
You didn't go wrong.
Welcome.

Nematocyst
December 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome.

You did good.

The x42 is one of
the finest SD handguns.
Light, compact, powerful.

You've got five shots with great concealability.
If you need 10, get two, or just practice more.

The key for the 642: fast double taps.

You get two, then two more, then one.

A JT1 approved speed strip gets 4 more.

(10 shots are a very unlikely necessity for most of us.)

I hope you never have to use it for SD.

But if you need it, it's nice to know it's there.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67639&d=1195548166

rdrancher
December 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm leaving in the morning to move my fiancee back from Cali. (I'm probably the only one that didn't know it had two "e's".) :D

A Merry Christmas to all of you that make this such an entertaining, informative and special place to visit!

rd

motorcycle-charlie
December 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
you will love your 642. congratulations on the purchase. there is a reason these little j-frames have such a loyal following. they are the perfect carry option for many people for alot of reasons.

DAdams
December 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
The last Christmas Picture until 2011.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010017-1.jpg

Bailey's in the coffee for breakfast.
Smell of turkey cooking in the background and snow on the ground in East TN.
Think I'll make a Bloody Mary.

No snubs for Christmas but I did treat myself to a nice Bravo Company EAG Tactical midlength 14.5 inch AR in 5.6/.223. Picking up the lower next week.

Here is the upper.

BCM® 14.5" Mid Length Gas BFH (Cold Hammer Forged) Barrel (w/ perm A2X™ Flash Hider)
BCM® HPT/MPI Bolt Carrier Group (auto profile)
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 3 Charging Handle
LaRue Tactical 9" Tactical Free Float Handguards
TangoDown SCAR Panel Covers (qty 3)
Troy Ind/BCM Rear Folding Battle Sight

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/BCM-UH-EAG1-2-1.jpg

motorcycle-charlie
December 25, 2010, 05:01 PM
nothing says Christmas better than a nice AR...good choice DA.

ryanrichmond
December 25, 2010, 06:04 PM
Can I join your club? :)

I got this one on Monday but have owned 4 of these bad boys over the years. I love this little J frame pocket pistol.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/ryan_ph0to/SW38.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/ryan_ph0to/sw.jpg

motorcycle-charlie
December 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
turned my Christmas bonus into this.. we recieved bonuses this year after bossman stopped them about 10 years ago..i had the cash in my pocket for a cool 4 hours. its not an AR or x42, or even a Smith and Wesson, but it is a fistfull of .357 Magnum and a blast to shoot and fairly easy to carry. it wont be replacing my 442 in the pocket but will come along iwb appendix on occasion. you have to love a good snub..

motorcycle-charlie
December 25, 2010, 06:11 PM
Can I join your club? :)

I got this one on Monday but have owned 4 of these bad boys over the years. I love this little J frame pocket pistol.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/ryan_ph0to/SW38.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/ryan_ph0to/sw.jpg
sure. come on in.. welcome. something about a nice j-frame in the pocket just feels so right.

DAdams
December 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the Club. Nice photos. Sure looks good without the ILS.

MCharlie-

That's about the only other revolver I would consider outside a S&W. Those are nice rigs and will be around for years to come. Can't beat it. Thanks for pumping your bounus back into the economy. :D I already did with that AR.

fiVe
December 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
but I am so glad (and warmed) to see a "Part Three" thread for the Club. The longevity of this thread is a testament to this beloved snubbie and the people who love it.

My 642 now shares carry-duty with another revolver, but when I carry it (and I do so very often), I use my Mika round- cut pocket hoslter. This is a tried-and-true-real-life-tested configuration and one of the best IMHO for carrying/concealing the 642. I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Regards,
fiVe

DAdams
December 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
When you consider that all the pertinent facts regarding the X42 were covered in posts 1&2 in section I it has all been embellishment since then. ;)

One May Day in 2005 in Post Number One fiVe said:

As of Wednesday, I am the proud owner of a S&W 642 snub nose. This thing is a joy to carry

He went on to say:

It appears that the general consensus is that Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P HP is the best ammo.

In Post Number Two, Frandy (who is Frandy and where has he/she gone?) said:

Excellent! I really like mine...with Crimson laser grips and in it's Mika pocket holster. Hope you get good service from your new 642.

Hence about all one needed to know and the salient points were covered in the first two posts. :D

Just goes to show you......this thing has taken on a life of its own. :uhoh: Thousands of people with a common gizmo and a Brotherhood of Man, Viva the The High Road Forum 642 Club.

BobGrand
December 31, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hey, all. I'm back (from .us). Glad to see all is back right with the world of RKBA. I haven't been to either sight for a while, but spent most of my time at the .us site. Now have to catch up on my reading from here. Glad to see ya'll have kept up the 642 Club and are now on to Part 3. Wow. We'll see how things go from here.

Bob

DAdams
December 31, 2010, 09:46 PM
Welcome back, from a former Michigander myself. Portage, Lansing and Traverse City.

Nematocyst
December 31, 2010, 10:01 PM
It's been a long time, but I'm checking in on the cusp of 2011.

Going to have my 642 shipped to my new location soon.
It's been in storage while I got settled in here.

Tomorrow, I get settled in ... for while ...

jt1
January 1, 2011, 01:21 AM
DA, Nem, FiVe, et al - The old clubhouse...Happy New Year...

DAdams
January 1, 2011, 11:07 AM
May your X42 remain in its holster. May it serve you well in your time of need. May you be blessed with much range time. May your SGDFSB larder remain full and dry.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P5150002.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P4280043.jpg

DA, Nem, FiVe, et al - The old clubhouse...Happy New Year...

And God Bless all.

If you enjoyed reading about "642 Club Part Three" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!