Saddam's Glock 18 in Bush Museum

PDA

razorback2003
November 10, 2010, 04:34 PM
I am not trying to make this political. I found this interesting clip of former Pres Bush showing a reporter Saddam's Glock 18 that was given to Bush when he was president. It looks like the Glock 18 is now at his presidential museum. That is a pretty cool war trophy for a museum.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/opinion-15749653/sneak-peek-george-w-bush-s-souvenir-from-saddam-22953366

If you enjoyed reading about "Saddam's Glock 18 in Bush Museum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alex45ACP
November 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm sure it was imported legally and properly registered under the NFA.

Calhoun
November 10, 2010, 06:17 PM
deleted

[I]deleted[/]

MightyTygart
November 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
Including this particular Glock 18, how many does that bring the total to in the USA?

cleardiddion
November 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Very neat link!

razorback2003
November 10, 2010, 07:04 PM
I do wonder how this one was papered with the ATF. I'm guessing there is a process to make Saddam's Glock 18 legal for museums/display, kind of like there is a legal process for the blackwater guys to buy full auto and export them for work to the Mid East.

Tinpig
November 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
I wonder who got his Browning High Power.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OKlb6h7hvWY/SANNlastxtI/AAAAAAAAAfE/SUki2pd_ADQ/s1600/saddam-pistol.jpg

Tinpig

LemmyCaution
November 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm not fond of the concept of war trophies. Especially not for this particular war. I don't see any real winner of this war. I see lots of losers. So the idea of a trophy from it is disgusting to me.

As to substantive THR content, this further confirms my suspicion that the law only applies to the little guy. The Bush Museum is owned by Southern Methodist University. I am aware of no exemptions to the GCA or FOPA that would reopen the registry for such a firearm to a private entity, nor to the ex-President, himself.

Perhaps it's been de-milled?

FWIW- I don't believe that Xe (Blackwater), or any other mercenary group has any exemption to possess FA weapons stateside, either.

TexasRifleman
November 10, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'm sure it was imported legally and properly registered under the NFA.

The firearm is Federal property, therefore not subject to the gun laws. The Federal government can have all of the full auto firearms it wants, and of any type.

Gifts to representatives of the US Government valued at more than $285 become the property of the Federal Archives.

It is very common for the Archives to make loans of these items to Presidential Libraries but the gun belongs to the Federal Government, not Bush.

DougW
November 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
1) the Bush (43) Presidential Library has not been constructed yet
2) the Bush (43) Library will be built on land at the Campus of SMU, but will not "belong" to SMU
3) the Johnson Library resides at the University of Texas (and it does not "belong" to UT)
4) the Clinton Library resides in Little Rock (etc.)
5) the G18 is cool no matter what
6) why does it matter if President Bush has Saddam's G18 and displays it?

sappyg
November 10, 2010, 09:09 PM

come on man... what you you give for hiltler's walther?

PT92
November 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Nothing political about it--Thanks for the post.

Take a look at the Mini-Series Band of Brothers and see how they vigorously pursue Nazi Lugers.

-Cheers

razorback2003
November 11, 2010, 01:17 AM
Clinton's library has a branch of the University of Arkansas called the School of Public Service. The UofA main branch is in Fayetteville but the Clinton Library is in Little Rock.

I have been to both the LBJ Library and the Clinton Library and they have a lot of history during the time period. I remember there was an AK style rifle at the Clinton Library. Never miss an opportunity to see a presidential library. I'd like to see the Bush Library at SMU when it is finished to see this Glock 18.

Drudge
November 11, 2010, 01:31 AM
Very Kool piece of history.

essayons21
November 11, 2010, 03:45 AM
Gifts to representatives of the US Government valued at more than $285 become the property of the Federal Archives.

Now that is interesting. Do you have a cite for the law or regulation that governs this?

SciFiJim
November 11, 2010, 04:22 AM
What would also be interesting is what the soldiers had to go through with the secret service to be able to carry a pistol into the oval office to present it as a gift.

Double Naught Spy
November 11, 2010, 09:10 AM
Now that is interesting. Do you have a cite for the law or regulation that governs this?

From this link...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%24285+gift+becomes+federal+property
several links pertained, but the following probably covers it best....
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/manuals/manual15.txt

youngda9
November 11, 2010, 09:16 AM
That's a great war prize.

Corporal K
November 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
So the idea of a trophy from it is disgusting to me.

I've got a German P-38 and a K98 Mauser that my grandfather brought back from WW2. I think I'll shoot them both this weekend in your honor. :neener:

Ben86
November 11, 2010, 11:49 AM
That's so cool. Usually when you think of war trophy guns you think of antiques. It's pretty cool to have a Glock 18 trophy gun.

I'm not fond of the concept of war trophies. Especially not for this particular war. I don't see any real winner of this war. I see lots of losers. So the idea of a trophy from it is disgusting to me.

Umm...Saddam was clearly the loser and we the victor.

Mags
November 11, 2010, 11:52 AM
It's US code, applies to military as well. I should know th exact code since I am studying for E6, but I don't. :( I may check my study guide later...

Sam1911
November 11, 2010, 11:53 AM
Umm...Saddam was clearly the loser and we the victor.

Moderator Comment: If we want this thread to continue, we won't be debating the war in Iraq or any other political subjects.

parsimonious_instead
November 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
Just curious - what are the latest rules for war trophies of any sort? I'm under the impression that it's no longer permissible for any materials to be taken from deceased enemy personnel, let alone "bring back" weapons.
I'm not for or against the practice, just curious if it's been offically banned, and if not, what the new rules are.

InkEd
November 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
I think it's a shame the soldier that actually seized the weapon doesn't get to keep it.

ClickClickD'oh
November 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
I think it's a shame the soldier that actually seized the weapon doesn't get to keep it.

Delta gifted the weapon to President Bush.

DougW
November 11, 2010, 09:27 PM
sappyg, I had put something in about Hitler's pistol, but I couldn't remember if it was a Walther or Mauser, so I deleted it!

Good call my friend!

denfoote
November 11, 2010, 11:06 PM
come on man... what you you give for hiltler's walther?

Forget the PPK, I want Hitler's P38!!!

Come on man, you know he had one!!
The Toad, Goering had one, so you know Das Fuherer was also given a P38!!
I wonder what happened to it???

GRIZ22
November 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
What would also be interesting is what the soldiers had to go through with the secret service to be able to carry a pistol into the oval office to present it as a gift.

The Secret Service most likely just checked the gun before they:

1. Brought it on White House Grounds

and

2. Entered the Oval Office.

Its not something the Secret service hasn't experienced. At least in this case they knew it was coming. Elvis just showed up at the WH one day and gave Nixon a 1911 (maybe it was a pair).

Nomad, 2nd
November 11, 2010, 11:30 PM

As to substantive THR content, this further confirms my suspicion that the law only applies to the little guy. The Bush Museum is owned by Southern Methodist University. I am aware of no exemptions to the GCA or FOPA that would reopen the registry for such a firearm to a private entity, nor to the ex-President, himself.

Perhaps it's been de-milled?

FWIW- I don't believe that Xe (Blackwater), or any other mercenary group has any exemption to possess FA weapons stateside, either.

Yea, well, the Gold engraved 1911 I had in Faluja D@MN WELL didn't Disgust ME!

What DOES, is that I couldn't keep it, but Bush got Sadam's gun.

I EARNED a mumento... they wouldn't even let me keep a AK MAGAZINE as a war trophy. I just wanted something papered.

As for 'exemptions'... they do the SAME thing Colt does....

Coorporations can get the permits same as you and me.

$200 FFL and then $500 per year IIRC....

Mr. Bojangles
November 12, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'm a little suprised and dissapointed that the Glock isn't gold-plated... :D

Harley Quinn
November 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
If true about it being there, I think it is fitting...But what about this post:confused:

1) the Bush (43) Presidential Library has not been constructed yet
2) the Bush (43) Library will be built on land at the Campus of SMU, but will not "belong" to SMU
3) the Johnson Library resides at the University of Texas (and it does not "belong" to UT)
4) the Clinton Library resides in Little Rock (etc.)

Wonder if the President refers to it, in his new book???
Regards

MrOldLude
November 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
Mission Accomplished?

Marshall
November 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
Pretty cool!

rfwobbly
November 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
I've got a German P-38 and a K98 Mauser that my grandfather brought back from WW2. I think I'll shoot them both this weekend in your honor.

"The Panama Canal is ours because we stole it fair and square." Will Rogers

And I've got a Jap 7.7 brought home from Japan in 1946. It was fair. They didn't need it any more.

Hatterasguy
November 12, 2010, 03:31 PM
Can't make this political, so I won't say anything other than lame.:banghead:

Sam1911
November 12, 2010, 05:11 PM
Well, when we get to the point that we have to post telling the world that we're NOT posting something, I'm guessing there's too much emotion in this.

Who knew museums could get people so worked up?

If you enjoyed reading about "Saddam's Glock 18 in Bush Museum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!