How do I explain this to my wife?

PDA

Yoda
November 10, 2010, 04:50 PM
I just got a GREAT deal on a gatling gun, so I bought it.

What do I tell my wife?

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I explain this to my wife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swagner89
November 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
"A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs. A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale."

Tell her it was on sale!

Jeff H
November 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure what I would tell my wife in that situation, but always remember that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :D

Zombiphobia
November 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
"They robbed me, and after taking my wallet, they left the weapon behind, I thought it looked cool, and cops said 'ok', so I kept it...

kludge
November 10, 2010, 04:58 PM
You won't have to say anything. That goofy grin on your face will explain everything.

Whether she will admit it or not she married you because of that goofy grin.

This too shall pass. :)

KodiakBeer
November 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
You bring up a Gatling gun, and then don't post pictures?

thunder173
November 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
You take it home and fess up,....you'll be toast. You should send that to me. My wife will understand...............

PM me and I can have somebody come pick it up,....really.

Carter
November 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
You buy her something to distract her.

mbopp
November 10, 2010, 05:11 PM
"Is that a new gun in your safe?"
"Naaa, I've had that a long time now."

donny640
November 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
I agree tell her you got a good deal on it,lets see some pictures

W L Johnson
November 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
Helloooo couch

Ky Larry
November 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
Tell her it came with a coupon for a free Coach pocket book and 3 pairs of shoes of her choice. She'll forget all about the gun.;)

supham
November 10, 2010, 05:27 PM
Gun? This old thing? We should go out to dinner.

JohnBiltz
November 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
uh, give it to her for Christmas? Nah, I've got nothing.

CoRoMo
November 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
Question:
What do I tell my wife?
Answer:
'nuf said.

smallbore
November 10, 2010, 05:55 PM
The truth.

HGUNHNTR
November 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Who's afraid of their wife? If you have the money and you want to buy it then go for it. We are talking about two responsible adults right? I could never understand couples that have a parent figure and a child figure....:confused:

Bribery with gifts just seems childish. If you have an honest open relationship in which both husband and wife are responsible adults, this is a non-issue.

mcmurry
November 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
I just sat through a four day class. The instructor was an ex-rodeo rider who has cutting horses. He said every time he had enough money to buy a new horse, he made sure he had enough to go by a certain jewelers in town and tell him that "Honey will be by in the morning for a new diamond". He said it worked every time, although sometimes, the diamond is bigger than expected!
Try it.

Werewolf
November 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
"Is that a new gun in your safe?"
"Naaa, I've had that a long time now."
That actually does work...

cleardiddion
November 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
If it were me I'd say something along the lines of:
Babe, put your best dress on. I've got a BIG surprise to tell you over dinner (at her favorite place). :p

bigfatdave
November 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
If it were me I'd say something along the lines of:
Babe, put your best dress on. I've got a BIG surprise to tell you over dinner (at her favorite place).

Corrected:
crappy boots on and help me load these magazines, we're going to the range RIGHT NOW!

For the record: MrsBFD approved this method

JoeMal
November 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Don't tell her anything :) Someday, in the distant future, she will see it and say 'When did you get that?' and you say 'Oh that old thing? I've had that for a long time!'

You buy her something to distract her. Or this. Come home with a nice bracelet (if she's into jewelry) or a giftcard to her favorite store and she will forgive you :)

cleardiddion
November 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
For the record: MrsBFD approved this method
I wish my lady was the same!

M-Cameron
November 10, 2010, 07:05 PM
your a grown man.....you work for your money, spend it how you want........

when she asks why you bought it......just tell her "because i wanted it.".......and that should be enough.

Yoda
November 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm on my way out the door to the Panhandle. Look for something Monday.

- - - Yoda

buck460XVR
November 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
.....just don't tell her how much it costs to feed it.:what:

bigfatdave
November 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
Photos will have to wait...

Unacceptable!

http://1io.atomic-dog.org/download/file.php?avatar=42_1198200685.gif

bannockburn
November 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
Yoda

Tell her the truth: you ran into Mr. Peabody and Sherman, went for a ride in the Wayback Machine, and you brought back this wonderful antique Gatling Gun from the Civil War. Sounds plausible to me.

gunnutery
November 10, 2010, 07:24 PM
LOL bigfatdave!!

Yoda, I don't know your wife so perhaps the gat won't exist by Monday, or perhaps in her fury the camera will take a flying object to the lens... Pictures should probably come sooner :)

jeepguy
November 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
rotfl, i don't know but thats funny!! this should make for a great commerical someday.

DoubleTapDrew
November 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
"Honey you know how you've always said we need a gatling gun?"
"...oh you never said that?..well then I've got some bad news..."

Zombiphobia
November 10, 2010, 08:09 PM
my wife wants an Uzi. Not to shoot, because her hands are too small to grip the weapn, even with both of them. She just wants it. Almost every time I talk her into a trip to a gun store, she picks out the most expensive, impractical, no-use-for, hard to find ammunition needing gun she can find in the store.

She's like that with everything, actually, but if I came home with a gatling gun, her jaw would drop, roll her eyes and then laugh and say she expected it someday followed up with, "Where's mine?"

youngda9
November 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
Just bow at her feet. Beg her forgiveness. And accept whatever beating she bestowes upon you.

Seriously man...take your gonads out of her purse and act like the one wearing the pants...unless you like to be the subservient sniveling partner?

John Wayne
November 10, 2010, 09:18 PM
You have the Gatling gun. That means other people do the explaining :D

Patriotme
November 10, 2010, 09:24 PM
You're on your own. Not even Obama's speechwriters and all of his teleprompters could save you now.

marktx
November 10, 2010, 10:02 PM

What do I tell my wife?

What kind of gatling gun you talking about? One of those little .22 jobs or one of the proper ones that is a couple thousand bucks? Those are pretty sweet and I would love to get one of those proper gatling guns but there are other items I would spend the $ on unless I came across a really good deal.....

So how to break it to the wife? My preferred technique is to thoroughly research the prices on the thing so you can explain how it would be a a horrible financial decision not to buy the thing. You explain how this extremely high quality and desirable small arm would normally cost (for the sake of discussion) $7k and in the past two years you have been watching prices you have never seen one for less than $5700 for a very used example. Then explain how you came across this truly unbelievable deal, you didn't believe it at first but after checking it out you see how the seller is caught in an unfortunate financial circumstance and is forced to sell it on short notice for a small profit above what he paid 10-15 years ago when these things were much cheaper because they were unappreciated. So you now have an opportunity to buy it for $4000 which is an absolute steal and you almost feel bad but you know the guy is at least making a few bucks. Worst case scenario you can sell it if it turns out that you would rather have your money tied up elsewhere but it's a real investment to buy it now at this price.

My wife just came in and read this and says it's a load of crap and you need to buy flowers and take your wife out to dinner but I still stand by the above.

Good luck!

Caliper_RWVA
November 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
So.... Just what is a good deal on a gatling gun?

Because my g/f thinks they are cool (although what she really wants is a cannon :what: )

Sorry, can't help your predicament. Maybe if you let her shoot it?

kingpin008
November 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Who's afraid of their wife? If you have the money and you want to buy it then go for it. We are talking about two responsible adults right? I could never understand couples that have a parent figure and a child figure....

Bribery with gifts just seems childish. If you have an honest open relationship in which both husband and wife are responsible adults, this is a non-issue.

This, exactly.

Look - I'm a married adult man. My money is my money, and I spend it how I please. My wife is an adult, and she spends hers as she pleases. This is OK, because we can do things without having to run it past the other first.

Now, if it was shared money that was spent on the gun, you absolutely have some explaining (and apologizing, imho) to do, if you didn't consult her first.

gym
November 10, 2010, 10:51 PM
Tell her it's a new landscaping tool for cutting the hedges.

yeti
November 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
Just set it up in the livingroom, call her in and hand her a rag and the Brasso , ask her "isn't she a beaut? Would you mind giving me a hand polishing her up?" Problem solved!

Does it show that I'm not married?

deafdave3
November 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
Take her out to the range... and bring the new gun.

PT1911
November 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
Look - I'm a married adult man. My money is my money, and I spend it how I please. My wife is an adult, and she spends hers as she pleases. This is OK, because we can do things without having to run it past the other first.

Now, if it was shared money that was spent on the gun, you absolutely have some explaining (and apologizing, imho) to do, if you didn't consult her first.

This...

Now look, I am a youngun and as such am not married but 3 accounts are an absolute must... HIS, HERS, and the shared account... anything that doesnt come out of the shared account (and isnt life altering or illegal) is not grounds for an argument. If she wants to buy a Pink version of your new toy and spend twice as much, it is not your business anymore than this purchase is hers.. IF it was your money. (though the definition of "your money" does change with marriage.

I am sure someone will come along and tell me how my theory here is so very wrong.. What about a single income home? What if he makes more? what if she makes more? Your being married does not mean you (both of you) cannot still do the things that you enjoy.

BUT, since you bought the Gatling gun and (seemingly) know your wife, it seems more likely that you will have to find a way to keep it YOUR gun instead of HER new gun.

7thCavScout
November 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
Well you could use the the line I gave my Dad when he caught me with a case of beer back when I was in high school. "Ah, it's not mine. I'm just holding it for a friend." FYI It didn't work for me so well.

ChCx2744
November 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
Eat a Twix candy bar; it seems to work for everyone in the commercials. ;)

But in all seriousness...That's quite a hefty purchase, even for a gun. You must be balling out of control at work or something, lol.

22-rimfire
November 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
The had that for a long time is the single most common thing I tell my wife concerning firearm acquisitions. But you usually does not ask in the first place.

mptrimshop
November 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
well i didn't see and pics.....so i doubt there is a gun......i bet this is someones wife posting to get our secrets.........

hso
November 11, 2010, 12:31 AM
Sounds like trolling to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I explain this to my wife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!