Stainless gun / Matte scope - what rings and base?

PDA

fnslpmark112
November 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
I finally did it (thanks to THR). I purchased the Winchester Model 70 SS Extreme in 30-06.

I already have a black matte VX3 3.5-10x40.

I am going to order Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and low rings. What should they be - Stainless or Matte?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless gun / Matte scope - what rings and base?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Mike
November 11, 2010, 03:48 PM
Matte, IMO stainless rings on a matte black scope looks....hokey!

Welding Rod
November 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
I like SS in that application.

Damon555
November 11, 2010, 04:43 PM
Matte black for sure....stainless rings with black scope doesn't look very good.....imho

dubbleA
November 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
Personally I prefer matte black base and rings on stainless. I find that there are various finishes on stainless firearms and matching it is very hard. Leupold rings and bases, from what I have seen are nickel plated and the color isn't even close resembling SS. Matte black and silver contrast good together in my book.

Sock Puppet
November 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Matte!

sansone
November 11, 2010, 04:55 PM
unclmike nailed it

WYcoyote
November 11, 2010, 05:12 PM
I like SS in that application.
Me ,too.
Bases and rings should match the gun in my opinion.
SS on SS.
Your reasoning for having a SS gun should follow thru to the mounts.

brettrow
November 11, 2010, 06:05 PM
Great gun, I love mine in the .270. I put a one piece leupold steel base on mine because I think one piece bases are stronger, but two piece bases work too. Definitely matte. The SS looks awesome but after a few morning hunts with the sun coming up I decided to matte black the whole gun, and Im glad I did. Dont forget to break the new barrel in.

fnslpmark112
November 11, 2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks. I went for the matte rings and base.

Maverick223
November 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
What should they be - Stainless or Matte?Deep, polished gloss blue...

...JK, matte black would be my choice.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless gun / Matte scope - what rings and base?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!