Need Help with Colt .25ACP Auto

PDA

FPrice
December 20, 2003, 02:33 PM
Some may remember my thread on a Colt Model 1903 .32ACP Hammerless which I decided to get from my dealer.

Well, he also has a Colt Model 1908 Hammerless .25ACP. It appears to be in good shape except for one small item. At the front of the slide there is a crescent moon shaped gap between the barrel and the slide. Covers an arc of maybe 210-240 degrees running from one side over the top down the other side of the barrel. At the top it is about 1/16" at the most, but is quite noticeable. Is this normal or the sign of a problem which screams "DON'T BUY ME!"?

If this is normal or at least no big problem and will allow me to shoot this pistol, I might make an offer. But if it is a serious problem I need to know so that I can pass on it.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help with Colt .25ACP Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
December 20, 2003, 02:55 PM
Hi, FPrice,

That cut is not only normal, it is necessary in order to remove the barrel from the slide. BTW, have the dealer show you how to field strip that pistol when you buy it. Like the Model 1903 pocket hammerless, I don't recommend further takedown.

You want to check that the firing pin, firing pin spring and firing pin spring guide are all in place. Quite a few of those pistols were taken apart carelessly and one or more of those parts are missing. Also check to make sure the firing pin "foot" is intact and that the firing pin is long enough to protrude well out of the front of the firing pin tunnel, since the firing pin also acts as the ejector.

Jim

FPrice
December 20, 2003, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll looks as you suggested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help with Colt .25ACP Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!