What country would you move to with you firearms?

PDA

Sky
November 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
We have the 2a and many own firearms for multiple reasons.

If you were going to move out of country stay and possibly retire in your new adopted place where would you go?

I would like to go back to Thailand but things have changed there and guns are pretty much a non viable option. Golfing is great as a compensator though. A few places in Europe look interesting with their cost of living for sure.

Central and South America have a few spots that are interesting. Peru is wonderful but kinda hard to have a gun there.

Just wondered what thoughts you might have?

Hard to beat the good ole USA for many reasons:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "What country would you move to with you firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Packman
November 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
My parents have considered retiring to New Zealand. I'm not crazy about the idea. You can have guns, but pretty much just "sporting guns." No AK's, and if I remember my research correctly, handguns are very hard to own legally.

Also no Concealed Carry there.

I'll stay in the USA. As bad as it might be sometimes, it's still the best place I know of.

22-rimfire
November 14, 2010, 10:46 AM
I very much like the climate in the mountains of Colombia but know little about current firearm laws there. You can own firearms, but I have no idea of the red tape involved or if certain guns are restricted. I hear that Costa Rica is also a pretty interesing place. For the moment, I'll stay in the USA.

wally
November 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
I suspect you'll need an export license from the State Department because of ITAR regulations even if the destination country welcomed guns.

Hunter's who do regular safaris should be able to give you some idea of the hassle involved, but their guns are coming back with them, if you retire there, your's won't be.

Golden_006
November 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
You'd be surprised how good we have it here compared with many other countries in regard to firearms -- even in Northeast / west coast non free states

JTH
November 14, 2010, 11:33 AM
As much as we gripe and moan, most of us still choose the U.S. I'd like the Mexican Carribbean but who do you trust your money(savings) with and how safe are you really?
JT

TH3180
November 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
Couldn't do it. I live in the greatest country on earth. You couldn't pay me to leave.

mustang_steve
November 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
Why move? If the country sucks that bad, we failed at our job of keeping it great...thus need to fix our mess.

X-Rap
November 14, 2010, 11:46 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know of another that would let me and God should strike me dead should I want to.

Mags
November 14, 2010, 11:50 AM
What are gun laws like in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands? I would think places like those would have decent laws but I don't know.

essayons21
November 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think the only countries you could find where you could enjoy as much firearm freedom are the countries which have little to no effective government. Yemen and Somalia come to mind. Sure they are sandflea infested hellholes, but you can buy full-auto AKs and RPGs for a few dollars American. Just don't let anyone know you are American.

Sky
November 14, 2010, 02:01 PM
hahaahhehe Have not considered Somalia!

It is not that I particularly want to move. There are so many great places in this country where one can enjoy one's life.

I have lived overseas for 5 years at various times in my life and with the exception of the Mid-east and Viet Nam I enjoyed everyplace I lived.

Costa Rica you leave you hire a guard to protect your property as of 5 years ago but do not know now.

Columbia is beautiful and if you have the right connections life can be pretty good for now. Salvador and beach front property was a good deal 6 years ago.

Panama City Panama has several places where you can live with other X-Pats.

No freedom to be armed as we are in the USA. Cheap living yes and it is true if you have friends in high places all things become possible just like anyplace else.

The Swiss are cool but to expensive to live there and to darn cold. Doubt we as a foreign devil could move in with our gun collection.

Sky
November 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
This is not about cut and run.

It is about our freedoms as a nation and where else could we be as free as we are here?

Cosmik de Bris
November 14, 2010, 04:07 PM
My parents have considered retiring to New Zealand. I'm not crazy about the idea. You can have guns, but pretty much just "sporting guns." No AK's, and if I remember my research correctly, handguns are very hard to own legally.

Also no Concealed Carry there.

I'll stay in the USA. As bad as it might be sometimes, it's still the best place I know of.
You can own an AK or any other Military style firearm in New Zealand, at least a semi-auto variety, or an auto version if the auto is disabled, you do need an endorsement on your license though. You can own but not shoot any auto firearm. You can own a handgun but they can only be shot at competitions like IPSC or ISSF.

TIMC
November 14, 2010, 04:20 PM

Texas! :D

leadcounsel
November 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've traveled a lot of the world and been to at least 4 continents and lived in several countries. We have it pretty good in the US. Most of the world lacks reliable running water, plumbing, electricity, security from police corruption, crime, etc.

While there *may* be someplace more desirable from a hobby standpoint (SCUBA, golf, rock climbing, skiing, etc.), I would venture that the US is head and shoulders above the rest of the world for standard of living, peace, AND gun ownership. Most nations have very strict gun laws, including no military style arms, ammunition limits, no concealed carry, etc. with STIFF penalties. No surprise that you end up being an unarmed victim. In most states in the US, conversely, you can but nearly any gun from another individual without any government intrusion! While I vehemently disagree with most gun laws, the category of guns that are outlawed in the US are mainly guns that are *wants* and not *needs* or *must haves*. I can still own any weapon that would give me the best ability to defend myself (shotguns, long guns, and handguns). In short, the guns I own and can own are just a step down from what an infantry Soldier carries. I think you'd find nearly the entire world to be more restrictive. Locations that are less restrictive would probably be so lawless as to be quite dangerous (I'm thinking Africa or South America).

There *might* be small pockets in Europe like Switzerland... not sure. But it would probably cost a small fortune to move there with all of your possessions. What would the point be?

Just find the best place in the US for guns, your hobbies, weather, climate, location, etc. and move there. Then become active in politics, community, and vote and write you leaders in Government.

Not sure where others are getting their New Zealand information from... when I was there in 2008 I found it to be extremely anti-gun and they were actively discussing outlawing PELLET GUNS!!! Private gun ownership was unheard of and locals would say "why would we want guns?" when I would engage them in conversation on the topic.

clutch
November 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have no desire to leave here but Switzerland would be my choice.

Clutch

Flea
November 14, 2010, 04:51 PM
Czech Republic has concealed carry.

CHEVELLE427
November 14, 2010, 04:57 PM
going to hold out till Texas or Montana becomes a country

Shear_stress
November 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
Not sure where others are getting their New Zealand information from...

I'd suspect most New Zealanders would be surprised at what you can legally buy in New Zealand.

howlnmad
November 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
I do live in the best place in the US... the mountains of east Tn. Only problem is, in the last 10 years or so, land developers have come in and dang near stole land from farmers. Then they turn around and throw up 300,000.00 homes to sell to retired execs from up north. They claim to love the way of life and the climate and all that. Next thing you know, they're into local gov. trying to change things.
What country would I want to move to? None, I'll stay here and those that don't like our way of life... they can move!

GeoffC
November 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
Costa Rica for me....

As for hiring a guard to keep squater from taking ur property away from you, this may or may not be a good idea(the guard will most likely be the one posted up in front of ur TV when u return and saying something like "you need to remember where you are") For this very reason, find a few more Westerners and get into something with them so that someones always around, it's ok to leave it for a month or so here and there.

Sky
November 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
There are a few places in Europe where the cost of living is very attractive.
I plan on going back to Thailand to visit for sure. The exchange rate is really good; around 30 Baht to the dollar.

I actually was in a movie (The Great Friday) with Chris Mitchum and Olivia Hussey as a CIA agent which got killed rather quickly I might add. That is another story though.

Quality of life for me at that time surpassed anything I have experienced since. But I like Oriental Food!

Guns must be available for most of their murders are by guns? Crime rate is still low by western standards....Unfortunately all my contacts are retired or dead but I plan on going for a short stay.

ReloaderEd
November 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
Love this Country of ours or leave it. You will soon find out that you want to come back!!!

I love this country of ours, was bred and born here and I am lucky to be here.

I will defend her until I breathe my last dying breath. GOD BLESS AMERICA Be Safe:neener:

Sky
November 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yes my Costa Rico comment was because of a Flight Attendants folks who lived there. Again it is 6 year old info an things do change.

InkEd
November 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'll stay in the United States.

RS14
November 14, 2010, 05:33 PM
Czech Republic has concealed carry.

Apparently they have a very low homicide rate as well, with generally between 1 and 1.5 homicides per 100,000.

This index might be worth playing with. I can't speak for the accuracy.

http://www.freeexistence.org/freedom.shtml

pharmer
November 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
I won't leave the US voluntarily. But if I needed a place to go, my good bud is from the Dominican Republic. Gun laws there are relatively good, almost US like. joe

Sky
February 28, 2011, 08:04 PM
Have returned from Thailand and the natives can own a weapon. If you are married to a local national she buys and you have a HD weapon. Black market full auto AK's can be had for $350 but need to have a military or police sponsor; but still not recommended...or so I was told. What surprised me most was the cost of a 1911 for just about the same cost as in the states. 35,000 Bhat is about $1200 U.S.

Was surprised about an early morning incident between a Pilot going to work at approximately 2am and some young buck with his wife and kid in the car asleep with him. Shots were fired and the pilot was hit in the upper shoulder blade but the round must have lodged in the bone; suspect .22 cal. Police were involved and young man was captured the next day. I do not know what went down to escalate the situation only the broad overview of the story. The pilot did not press charges on the young man saying they were both in the wrong for losing their temper. Buddhist and Karma!

Also had a little war going on at the Thai Cambodian boarder. Cambodians captured 7 Thais for being across the boarder (think they lived there?) and a few days of shelling and air to ground attacks occurred. Still was not settled by the time I left. Kinda like old times!!

THe Dove
February 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
Let's all move to texas, after all, it's like a whole nuther country!!!

The Dove

Sniderman
February 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
vermont !

oneounceload
February 28, 2011, 08:38 PM
The Dom Rep - Casa De Campo has pigeons, sporting clays, quail hunting, etc..........good enough

mcdonl
February 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
Could not even bring myself to think of living in another country. Unless TX is considered another country. I could see my self buying a place there when I retire.

Nico Testosteros
February 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
I could live in Sweden. It's cold but a nice place. Canada, New Zealand, and Australia also make the list When I retire I might put my stuff in storage and travel for a while. All I need is direct deposit of my checks and Internet over which to pay my bills.

HARV6
March 1, 2011, 12:46 AM
I hear Darfur is nice this time of year.

Drail
March 1, 2011, 01:00 AM
Canada. Even though their firearms laws pretty much suck compared to ours from everything I have read or heard everybody pretty much just ignores them and the Govt. doesn't seem to worry about it too much (unless you're crossing the border into Canada. And they speak English in most of the country.

ghostwriter
March 1, 2011, 01:03 AM
Another country huh? Well, I currently live in Northern Communist **********, and by the standards of the other states, it seems to be a country all it's own... and a dammmnn poor one at that...so, I'm thinking of moving to Arizona country since I've never lived in the city limits. LOL
Do Montana and Texas have a lot of country, the answer is yes, so I guess they are on the list as well.
I suppose I'll make one of those "countries" my last stand in the event of a total breakdown. At least my guns will be welcome there.

razorback2003
March 1, 2011, 01:19 AM
Another country?

I've been to Mexico and there are a lot of nice people but I'm not quite sure of their legal system as an American. I'd hate to get in some sort of legal dispute down there and not able to speak Spanish well.

Do any of the US territories count, Texas, or Louisiana? All those places are sort of like other countries.

I think I'll pass on moving outside US jurisdiction and just visit as a tourist. I cherish my rights here too much.

bearcreek
March 1, 2011, 08:13 AM
I won't leave the US voluntarily. But if I needed a place to go, my good bud is from the Dominican Republic. Gun laws there are relatively good, almost US like. joe
When I was in the DR after the earthquake in Haiti last year, I was told by a local that I needed to be careful about having the clip on my pocket knife showing because "it might incite panic". I'm pretty sure they're a whole lot more strict about weapons than the US.

axeman_g
March 1, 2011, 09:39 AM
Afghanistan.... because I will need all my firearms.

HGUNHNTR
March 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
France! I lived in France for a while and absolutely love it...when my wife and I retire we will be moving promptly, if not sooner. France has wonderful food, culture, scenery (not too mention a fanastic healthcare system) that few other countries can match.

Zombie_Flesh
March 1, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yemen has pretty good gun laws, but it does have other issues.

Sky
March 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
For those thinking of moving to the Great nation of Texas bring some money! Good land ain't cheap no more! Some border land can still be had and yes it might be wise to bring your guns if you decide to settle there.

mgmorden
March 1, 2011, 10:10 AM
I've often thought about possibly doing Costa Rica or somewhere similar upon retirement. The gun issue is a problem - I'd need to find somewhere where I could take at least a number of my guns with me, but the cost of living, climate, etc is attractive. Now if the dollar keeps falling that may change, but as of right now I'm looking at retirement at 51. Only 29 now so it's still a ways out, but I'm currently single so unless I get tied up sometime between now and then, I could definitely think of worse ways to spend my retired time than hanging out with some Costa Rican gals on the beach :D.

Ala Dan
March 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
When I die bury me deep,
Bury my GUNS at my feet
Here in the U.S.A.~! :D

The greatest country on GOD's green earth~! ;)

RimfireChris
March 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
I never plan to leave, but if I did, probably Finland. I remember reading an article about two years ago, maybe a bit less, and they were listed as being in the top five countrys for private gun ownership, and IIRC they were the number one in Europe. Plus, lots of great heavy metal. :D

sierrabravo45
I've been to Australia, NZ, most of Canada, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, RSA, Zambia and that being said. South Africa is the only country I may move to. Guns are limited to 1 per caliber, and pistols are highly regulated but hunting is great, and you are so close to other countries with better hunting.

I just got back from NZ a couple weeks ago so heres the info you are looking for. Nice country, likes hunting, and fishing, and outdoors. Many people are every bit of redneck (country folk -politically correct term) as many in the US.

Pluses and minus of guns in NZ:

Pluses:

You can own suppressors, bought over the counter with your firearms license.

Minuses:

Guns are FREAKIN expensive.

BASIC Wood/Blue Ruger 10-22 - $500 US

Tikka T3 - $1100 US

I went into a bunch of gun stores, saw a few semi autos, Remington -06's, and a few 10/22's but that's about it. So if you like semis they are out pretty much.

AMMO IS SUPER EXPENSIVE!

Pistols are pretty much out.

I WOULDN'T MOVE OUT OF THE US. I FEEL YOU ARE CRAZY FOR ASKING!!

X-Rap
Gotta go with Ala Dan, all this talk of these fine places to live when they are in the best place on earth already.

rogertc1
There is country on the world that I could take all my firearms to. I plan to stay in the USA

Nushif
March 1, 2011, 12:09 PM
Switzerland is a nice place, and while I don't know the gun laws, I'm sure there's an active shooting community.

Germany is very nice as well (there might just be a tiny smidgen of bias in there) but the gun laws are pretty darned restrictive, unless you're a cop.

For me though, e the closer to the equator the better. So any country where it's warm and I get to keep my low-cap semi-auto handguns and bolt action rifle is good enough for me, as long as the folks are nice and it's not some hell hole.

Too often people get hung up in this standard of living being measured by income groups and money, which isn't necessarily accurate. Financial statistics really only go so far. I've spent two weeks in greece on practically no income and was as happy as one of the sand-fleas there with which I slept.
Who needs a nice and AC aerated camp site with deluxe tents when a sleeping bag on the beach is quite enough? I know I don't *need* a twelve room house with six bathrooms in a country where almost an entire life is conducted outdoors in the sun. I don't need a Buick with automatic transmission, AC, power windows and black deluxe paint when I'm living on top of a merchant that sells anything I might need and a three minute scooter ride will get me to Chalkidikili.

Like I said. Any country near the equator where I can keep my Kahr and a nice WWII bolt action rifle will do.

cheygriz
March 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE! THIS IS THE LAST FRONTIER OF FREEDOM!

If we don't keep our heads out of our armpits, and keep what we have, no one else in the world will have the bright shing star on the hill to look at and hope for.

Turn off the basketball game and go out and stand up for your freedom.

Our backs are against the wall. :fire: There's nowhere else to go. :mad::mad:

X-Rap
March 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
The air out here in the Rockies must be clearer, I couldn't agree with you more.

KodiakBeer
March 1, 2011, 02:09 PM
Honduras has liberal gun laws. You can carry concealed. Even tourists can carry concealed - you can contact the consul and get a permit before even departing for Honduras.

A lot of gringo's are settling in the bay islands off the Caribbean coast (Roatan, Utila). There, on the Caribbean coast English is widely spoken (or at least Caribbean form of English).

SpeedAKL
March 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
That freedom index was a neat tool.

A buddy of mine has discussed moving down to Roatan for a year or so while he completes a graphic novel. Apparently the island is quite user-friendly for us Norteamericanos.

X-Rap
March 1, 2011, 04:14 PM
Being able to have a gun in a foreign country is one thing, having used it to defend yourself and being thrown into the legal system there is quite another.
I'll take my chances in the rural western USA any day.

GambJoe
March 1, 2011, 06:05 PM
The grass was always greener until you think about it.

There are allot of places in the world (even parts of the United States) that you don't need a fire arm.

If there is a place with no crime and is cheap to live let me know.

For now I'll stick to my guns and continue my search in these United States.

Sebastian the Ibis
March 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
I like Miami, It is kind of like the United States.

DC Plumber
March 1, 2011, 06:19 PM
Great post! Me and a buddy get together shoot, have a few cocktails, play cards and complain about life. We always ask, "where would we go if we had to leave the US". The best answer is always Canada, except we can't take our handgun collections.

If I had to leave, I'd go to Canada. If I don't have to leave, I'll never leave The U.S.

Like someone else said, as bad as it may seem at times, we actually have it dang good.

UKarmourer
March 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
Be grateful guys!
The USA is top of my job hunting list for 5 yrs time, then I might actually get some freedom! (if regular guys can get Green cards by then, right now its only the rich)

Calibre44
March 2, 2011, 12:03 PM
USA:)

DM~
March 2, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm "Christian by choice, American by the grace of God" AND would not choose another country to live in!

DM

rbernie
March 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
Threads like this almost always turn into either ethocentric rantings or debates over immigration politics - neither of which are on topic for THR. Sadly, this thread is no different from all of the ones that have come before it on this topic.

If I just deleted your post - now you know why.

Let's not do that again.

Sky
March 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
The original intent of the post was where would you move to, not do you want to move there. Not a red white and blue chest thumping by the grace of god etc etc kinda of question. Many have never been outside of the United States or have only been to garden spots like Haiti or some sand pit. Both are not worth mentioning. If you sit back and look at the world and the governments of various countries it is not to hard for anyone to figure out we have had it good in the USA...That is not the question....the question is where other than the states could we live with our guns?

Bonesinium
March 2, 2011, 05:15 PM
I would move back to the United States of America. Hopefully I will be able to some day soon. Unfortunately my current assignment is to this place called New Jersey.:(

If I were to move to another country, firearms would likely have to take a backseat. I quite enjoyed Italy...well, Sicily I mean, so maybe someplace on the Mediterranean.

Ben86
March 2, 2011, 05:15 PM
All of the countries I would like to live in (as a lesser substitute for this one) allow little to no firearm ownership, so I have no answer to your question.

Be grateful guys!
The USA is top of my job hunting list for 5 yrs time, then I might actually get some freedom! (if regular guys can get Green cards by then, right now its only the rich)

My wife (from Vietnam) has told me they have made it more difficult and costly to get one lately. That's a shame, especially for the people trying to immigrate legally. Good luck to you. Many legal immigrants I have met are much more appreciative of our freedoms and more "American" than most Americans. It is a strange thing.

Vyacheslav
March 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
i'd move to Switzerland yesterday but a country with such a high standard of living must be hard to gain citizenship

Larry E
March 2, 2011, 06:45 PM
I think I'll just stay in Montana, the Canadians mostly don't want to come across the border illegally, and the way things are going we may be an independent country (along with parts of Wyoming, Western ND and SD, Idaho, and maybe southern Alberta) depending on what happens elsewhere.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but things are lookin' decidedly ugly out there ladies and gentlemen.

Sky
March 2, 2011, 07:33 PM
Yes a Visa for someone to come and visit is very hard for many foreign nationals to get. I talked to some people who had applied 3 times for a Visa to visit the states; each time they went it cost them 4800 Bhat *approx $160* just to have them say no.
No wonder many just come on in from our southern borders!!

Seems like other countries I have traveled to want you to come and spend your money there so the process is not such a rip off.

When refused a Visa for the states they are usually told they are at risk for not returning to their own country and might try to stay illegally! Wow !

henschman
March 2, 2011, 08:48 PM
The only freer place I know of is Antarctica. There is no government there, which is ideal for anyone wanting to live in liberty.

Wes B
March 2, 2011, 09:32 PM
I have always wanted to move to Alaska

oneounceload
March 2, 2011, 09:34 PM
Since the news about what is happening to Texas is verboten, I'll second moving to Switzerland - they just passed some very pro-gun legislation to maintain gun ownership

Deltaboy
March 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm in TX and we can become a Country again!

S. Hill
March 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
I considered this very same question a number of years ago. I was looking for someplace to retire. My criteria were; somewhere warm, with a low cost-of-living, that spoke English, and where I could keep my guns.

I looked at Belize, but could never find their policy on private firearms ownership. According to the "Freedom Index" they rank at 30% in that department. While it is hard to get a good understanding from the table, it is my experience that if you have money, more options are usually available to you.

If you retire to a third world country, you will be wealthier than 90% of the residents, and so your standard of living will be higher than the average. If you keep your money in a US bank, and make periodic draws in US dollars, you don't have to worry about hyperinflation in whatever economy you settle. But, since you are one of the “rich” people in the country, you will probably be taxed at a VERY high level.

If you keep your US citizenship, you may be restricted from owning property, owning firearms, voting, or owning a business. You may be able to establish dual citizenship, but some countries don't allow that. If you don't become a citizen of the new country, you will usually need to get a visa that will have to be renewed periodically, and can be denied for any reason.

Finally, you have the greatest "freedom" in a country without a functioning government. But who would choose to live in anarchy?

Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the "Freedom Index". Very informative.

FourteenMiles
March 3, 2011, 04:39 PM
I want to move to "waving country".

Me and a new friend (two city boys) were going to visit some land his dad had recently purchased. So we drive out there, turn off the highway and follow a long winding road. We are approaching someones house by the side of the road and I notice a women out in her yard. I turned to my buddy and asked "Is this waving country", and he looks at me with a big grin and nods yes. As we approach sure enough she turns around and waves and we both stick our hands up and smile. After we pass we both start cracking up at the understood cultural differences between the city and country. We were not laughing at her, just the situation of driving for a couple hundred miles and then finally waving to a single stranger besides the road, simply because of the location and culture.

Seriously though I would not mind living in the Czech Republic. From what I understand they have carry permits along with other liberal gun laws. Not to mention all the wonderful places to visit being only a days travel away by train and not needing a passport to visit them.

Ben86
March 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
I want to move to "waving country".

It is a somewhat comical, but heartwarming cultural phenomonon. I can't make eye contact passing someone standing by the road without a wave usually initiated by them.

I'll take my warm southern culture over crass yankee culture any day. :neener:

Old Time Hunter
March 3, 2011, 06:24 PM
I think I'll just stay in Montana, the Canadians mostly don't want to come across the border illegally, and the way things are going we may be an independent country (along with parts of Wyoming, Western ND and SD, Idaho, and maybe southern Alberta) depending on what happens elsewhere.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but things are lookin' decidedly ugly out there ladies and gentlemen.
Yep, Montana, but fat chance of it ever becoming it's own entity, same goes for Alaska. So that leaves me with the following in descending order:

1. Canada...they allow all the "old" guns I'd ever need.
2. Norway...more guns per houshold than even the USA
3. Sweden...lots of hunting

rondog
March 3, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have no desire whatsover to cross the US border in any direction, for any reason. And there's no way I'd move to any other country, guns or not.

A-FIXER
March 3, 2011, 10:54 PM
WYOMING, shucks thats right in not its own country yet....

MarkDozier
March 4, 2011, 02:33 AM
parts of the P.I or right here.

doc2rn
March 4, 2011, 04:11 AM
I am thinking Belize or Brazil

Sheepdog1968
March 4, 2011, 10:22 AM
I love the USA. Though not perfect, I don't think there is a country as a whole that does it better. If I were going to live somewhere, I'd be concerned about laws as a whole. I know in the UK, the mindset (I lived there for two years in mid 90s & debated this a lot) is that if someone broke into your house and you shot them the assumption is that you as the homeowner would go to jail for shooting an intruder. That means the UK would be out and I don't know as much about other countries to make an informed decision about both the firearm laws and the mindset if you have to actually defend yourself and shoot someone.

Bohemus
March 4, 2011, 06:47 PM
My number one would be:
Slovakia - CCW, language i understand, etc..

2. USA - guns are cheaper, but they are are inconsistent in gun laws, there are gun-free-zones (they dont allow students to carry!?!), speed limits too low on highways and widespread PC.

3. Lithuania - CCW, reasonable laws, etc.

4. Switzerland - rifles not registered, but no CCW, sometimes too strict.

Others - Canada, Norway, Sweden, South America and Africa etc.. - bad weather, bad economy or commies in controll...

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
March 4, 2011, 07:29 PM
my soon to be wife and myself are planning a move to Spain next year, i can't take my guns so my dad will get them. wish i could atleast take 1 or 2 though. oh well the beaches and sangria are calling my name again.

ball3006
March 4, 2011, 07:35 PM
Texas................but I am already here/there.......If the UP of MI ever seceeds from the land of the trolls, I would move there in the summer......chris3

limbkiller
March 4, 2011, 08:03 PM
The bluegrass state Ky.. Here in Ky you can own any gun that you want. Most all my bud's own fully auto weapons and silencers, no waiting period, no limit on gun purchases, easy get CCW, gun shops on every corner. A new friend of mine from N.Y. went shooting with us and said we would have had swat on us up there. :neener:

PowerJoker6.0
March 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
i like the somalia idea. who wants to move there with me and start a small to mid sized pirate business?

smallbore
March 4, 2011, 08:19 PM
Don't plan to live anywhere but right here in the good old US of A.

archigos
March 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
The only other country I'd consider is Israel. I've heard mixed things about gun laws there. When I visited, I saw quite a few civilian OCers, though I've heard that you must have been in the IDF first to be able to carry as a civilian.

oneounceload
March 4, 2011, 09:02 PM
my soon to be wife and myself are planning a move to Spain next year, i can't take my guns so my dad will get them. wish i could atleast take 1 or 2 though. oh well the beaches and sangria are calling my name again.

Why not? Spain has some of the more liberal gun owner laws, lots of bird shooting and animal hunting, etc.....

pacerdude
March 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
My choices would be as follows:
1. Canada
2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Belize

Sky
March 5, 2011, 12:11 AM
I used to fly to Belize all the time but never left the airport. The Brits or the locals had a ground to air missile battery on the edge of the tarmac. Thought they looked prepared for something serious. Guys used to go there to stock their tropical fish aquariums. The diving was supposed to be really good; but that is pretty much all I know other than there are some ruins around there?

Ignition Override
March 5, 2011, 12:12 AM
Mags: A friend grew up in Essen, Germany.

Not only do prospective gun owners first take a class on theory, but the regs on where to store a gun and how much ammo to keep (not at home) is difficult to imagine.

Britain requires you to interview with the police, to determine why you want a gun, and the restrictions are quite tight.
A Mini 14 must operate like a bolt-action.
An English lady works here at the large recreation 'area' in the suburbs, and you should have seen the look on her face when I told her about gun shows about a mile away!:scrutiny:

I doubt that Belgium and the Netherlands are much easier. A "Dutch" guy stated that sometimes when people hear about a shooting hobby, they assume that you might be a violent person.

jim243
March 5, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think I would move to the country of Texas. I'd move to Alaska, but it is tooooooooooooooooooooo cold there.

Jim

Hani Pasha
March 5, 2011, 01:44 PM
I think that the US has the most permissive gun laws in the world. Now with that said, you can certainly get away with having and doing a lot more in, say, rural Pakistan, but almost all of the gun ownership and carrying that happens there is technically illegal.

As far as me goes, my parents moved to the US for a reason, and I'm going to stay here for the foreseeable future for that same reason. God Bless America!

Sky
March 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
Welcome Pasha! Again the thread is not about wanting to move but about where you could go and still have guns. Someplace civilized with a cost of living that most can afford.

kayak-man
March 5, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ideally, I'd stay here, but if I had to move for some reason, I'd probably try to find one of those small, uninhabited islands in the middle of the ocean and either buy it from a country and extablish my own government, or claim it as my own, and establish my own government.

Needless to say, concealed and open carry would be allowed, and strongly encouraged.

PowerJoker,

I like the idea, but I'm thinking that it would only be a matter of time before some government decided to hunt us down. Now, if you wanted to hunt pirates, and confiscate anything of value they have to use as funds, I'm in.

General Geoff
March 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
Czech Republic would be on the top of my list if I were to leave the United States for whatever reason.

Spec ops Grunt
March 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Heard Romania is decent.

xcgates
March 5, 2011, 04:53 PM
That is an interesting, and while some of the countries mentioned sure sound interesting, I'd hestitate answering until I had some extended time visiting.

The only countries I've been to are Canada and the UK. Neither holds a heck of a lot of appeal for taking up residence.

THe Dove
March 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Now hold on XC,,,,, you are in Texas now so you are in another country! Least way's that's what I have read/heard!!!!

The Dove

AlexanderA
March 6, 2011, 10:42 AM
None. The U.S. (or at least most states within it) is paradise for a gun owner/collector. And it's a damn good place for economic reasons as well.

In other places, at best, you're going to get security, or you're going to get freedom, but not both.

xcgates
March 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
THe Dove: Well moving from NY (upstate, NOT the city) to TX was a bit like a different country.:D

Shanghai McCoy
March 6, 2011, 01:42 PM
My father didn't immigrate here from Europe in the 1920's just so I could leave later...tho, I DO like Texas...:D

henschman
March 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
Why don't we all get together and take over a country?

Jayme
March 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
The Great state of Vermont ,as long as your not a wife beater ,felon, The fed's hate Vermont's gun law's we failed the Brady bill,And damm proud of it .Don't have to regeister weapons ,dont need permit to ccw,HAVE THE LOWEST CRIME RATE IN THE COUNTRY..GO FIGURE!!!!

kayak-man
March 6, 2011, 08:09 PM
Why don't we all get together and take over a country?

Theres probably some pretty nice uninhabited islands in the south pacific somewhere...

archigos
March 6, 2011, 08:30 PM
Montana - in my dream future where it actually goes through with becoming a sovereign nation... and has jobs outside of agriculture.

Oyeboten
March 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
I wish Texas would return to being it's own Country again...and if they would, I would move there.

Texas is 'Waving Country'...too...

c1ogden
March 6, 2011, 10:01 PM
"Why don't we all get together and take over a country?"

That was the idea behind the Libertarian Party's "Free State Project". They picked NH because it was small and they figured that thier group (they were shooting for at least 10,000 participants) would be enough to sway elections. I don't know how it turned out but there are a lot more than 10,000 gun owners in this country. Even if we just took the gun owners from the really bad states like NY, NJ, IL, MD, CA and MA we could easily overwhelm the voters of just about any state in the union! I like TN and NC but won't move to either one because of the current gun laws. If we go as a group I'll sign up right now!

archigos
March 6, 2011, 10:21 PM
c1ogden, the Free State Project is still going strong! I'm planning to attend PorcFest again this year. http://freestateproject.org/

Sky
March 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have flown all over the Pacific and trust me if there is a semi habitable island there then someone has laid claim to it and lives there. Beautiful places but island fever is real; cost of supplies offsets many of the niceties associated with the island life..

As has been stated in this thread there are very few places (none to few) we as Americans can go and keep our firearms. There are countries where you can own weapons or if you have a spouse who is a local they can acquire a firearm and let you use it for HD. If used for HD then hopefully things will work out in your favor.

Everything in life sometimes is a trade off. Cost of living is off set by perceived restrictions/freedoms in the host country.

I have always been a S.E. Asia kinda guy. Not Viet Nam, Cambodia, or Laos. I do like the people for the most part in these countries but.....not interested. Thailand (I speak the language) I have always been happy with and may move to the North of Thailand just because I can.

A country where all are equal under the law as perceived by our founding fathers is a wonderful concept and we as Americans should strive to insure this concept is never lost on our society and government. We all know when corruption and good old boy net works take over, the law gets a nod and a wink; regardless of the country. For us as a nation if this concept is lost then we turn into just another third world banana dictatorship.

I lived in the Mid East and flew and stayed in many of the countries that are currently in the news. I personally found one good restaurant there but otherwise I can understand why so many radicals live there.

Europe, Greece, Spain, France, cost are high to live there. Quality of life can be nice depending on location but it cost more (when I was there) than in the States especially with our dollar's exchange rate.

Have not been to the Czech Republic or Russia but am planning on going sometime in May to one or both. These countries have had serious Mafia problems in the past. Funny some of my friends who did business there preferred doing business with the Mafia!! The Mafia at least would keep their word where the government would try to nickel and dime you throughout the process and still ask for more or cancel the deal. Mafia there does not have a problem being armed.....kinda like Mexico.

The serious thought processes and the answers from those who have actually been to places outside our borders "maybe" took the time to reflect how lucky we are to be citizens of this Republic and Nation we call America. Thanks all for your replies.

Cop Bob
March 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
Kodiak is right on about Honduras.. several years back I looked into setting up a business there after retirement.

Gun laws are very liberal, however it is pretty much a chaste system, there are the wealthy and the dirt poor. Also you can own a gun, you can carry a gun, you can carry anything you want.

Permits (own or carry) are $450 US and are good for 10 years, with them you can buy Full auto, short barreled, what ever you want. I had a friend who carried a 20 ga Stevens Double sawed off in his briefcase.

However, "La Mordita" (the payoff) is alive and well, screw up and assault someone, or get into it with the wrong persons punk kid, and your screwed. Saw it happen to a buddy's partner in a business on the beach. Local well off kid came in a tried to steal from him, a fist fight ensued, his partner lost his visa and had to leave the country. God help him if he had shot him.. I hear the prisons there really suck.

Prices are not bad, heck when a Bottle coke here was a buck, same there was .33 cents, REAL Heineken .06% alcohol not avalable in US were only a buck, and that was convenience store prices. Americans can own property, carry guns, no income tax (12% fed sales tax), GREAT weather, all kinds of nice stuff. However Island Life ain't for everyone. There are a large number of ex-pats living on Roatan, Utila, Guanja, and on the mainland. It is beautiful. Problem is on the islands, really no place to shoot at anything over about 25yds. On the Mainland, whole different story, but crime much higher there.

However, I believe I will take my chances right here in The Republic of Texas... and Yes the Right to Succeed from the Union is in the Statehood Agreement, and within our (Texas) Constitution.

hermannr
March 13, 2011, 06:06 PM
I come to the US from somewhere else. I will stay in the great state of WA. CCW must issue, open carry allowed, I can shoot in my own back yard if I want....no income tax...doesn't get much better than that for a retired guy.

If you enjoyed reading about "What country would you move to with you firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!