For those that carry a flashlight everywhere...

PDA

sidheshooter
November 14, 2010, 08:03 PM
What is it currently? I know that we've had tons of threads in the past, but new tools come out all the time, and I'm mostly interested in what's in your pocket on a daily basis (as opposed to those you own, or have tried, since a lot of you may well be like myself, having spent enough on flashlights over the last several years to buy a decent 9mm...)

Right now mine's an S&W m&p 1005 Cree that nicely balances run time vs. output, along with goof-proof simplicity; only one mode-a mid level 85 lumens-that allows me to both root around inside my safe, as well as gaining an average 7 seconds of advantage over someone in a dark street.

Plus, it's way smaller than my other Walter Mitty-esque lights that go as much as 250 lumens with strobes and all sorts of other chip controlled options to goof with.

Seems to always make it into my pocket, despite being flat-out cheap compared to my other torches.

How about you all?

TIA.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those that carry a flashlight everywhere..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTW Jr.
November 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
80 % of the time it is a Fenix LD10 , the other 20% is the Surefire E1L.

For the money , and for the convenience of using AA batteries ( as well as more lumens and multiple modes ) , the Fenix is an easy choice for me.

deafdave3
November 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
Colman Max

M-Cameron
November 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
just a simple AA mini mag for me......nothing fancy......i enjoy the simplicity.

Phydeaux642
November 14, 2010, 08:46 PM
Right now I have a Maratac AAA with me that I really like. I just ordered a Fenix PD20 which should be here shortly. Its 3" in length with 190 lumens (with other modes as well) and runs on a single CR123 battery.

TX expat
November 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
Another vote for the Fenix LD10. I haven't found a better flashlight for the money than this one.

Unistat
November 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
Streamlight PT-2L. Three modes - 180 lumens, strobe, 18 lumens. Two 123 3v lithium batteries. Been using it for about 2 months now, I like it a lot.

Double Naught Spy
November 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
This is my new favorite flashlight, primary because of the size, brightness and throw, and because it uses a AA battery for a decent price of $13. Also, it doesn't get hot.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30987

In fact, I like these little guys so much that they are going to be Xmas gifts to a lot of friends and family.

Sadly and like a lot of advertised lumens, this light isn't 220 lumens. Realistically, it compares well with others are in the 70-80 lumen range..

REAPER4206969
November 15, 2010, 03:37 AM
Surefire 6PD. It's currently at Surefire for repair though.

highorder
November 15, 2010, 04:11 AM
I usually carry one of three:

An old Surefire E2e modded with a 150 lumen incandescent lamp.
A Nitecore D10. I love this little light.
A SF E2d body with an A19 head, built with a Cree P4 and driven by flupic 2.2.

Usually, it's the SF incan. It's bright, simple, and classy.

bikerdoc
November 15, 2010, 06:32 AM
Streamlight scorpion with belt clip.

JShirley
November 15, 2010, 06:35 AM
A little AAA 1-cell. It probably throws about 40 lumens.

janobles14
November 15, 2010, 08:43 AM
surefire g2 for a few years now. and i just recently purchased 2 of these from Jimdo here on the forums and i was impressed enough to begin giving it some EDC love.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=451093

Kingcreek
November 15, 2010, 09:02 AM
Old Surefire G2 upgraded with a Malkoff M60L.

OregonJohnny
November 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have a Maratac AAA on my keychain, which is on me at all times away from the house. It's a 3-mode twisty with an 80-lumen max. It has a nice floody beam, with a warm tint. For approx. $20, it's a great little performer.

If I know I'm going to be out in the dark, I'll throw 1 of a few lights in my pocket. In order of my preference, they are:

1. Fenix PD20 (a little too throwy for every day use, so I use it with a flip-up Fenix diffuser)

2. Fenix LD15 (117 max lumens, 2-mode twisty, 1 AA battery)

3. Jetbeam E3S (stainless 2-mode clicky, 150-ish max lumens, 1 AA, beautiful piece of craftsmanship)

4. Nitecore D10SP (eh, don't like the piston switch, but love the beam profile)

For me to carry a light consistently in my pocket, it has to be a single-cell (preferably AA), slim form factor, with a max lumen rating of at least 100, with a good low between 5-50 lumens for most tasks.

JVoutilainen
November 15, 2010, 01:50 PM
Iphone

It has many output levels and... I'll get mi coat.

unloved
November 15, 2010, 01:50 PM
I own five different SureFire models that all get carried, but my LX2 (http://www.surefire.com/LX2-LumaMax) has seen the most pocket time for the last few months.

modifiedbrowning
November 15, 2010, 02:06 PM
Either a River Rock LED at about 40 Lumens or the smaller size Coleman Max.

geologist
November 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
Another vote for the Fenix LD-10, 1 x AA, 9 - 120 lumens.

Brian Williams
November 15, 2010, 06:30 PM
Inova X1 all the time.

76shuvlinoff
November 15, 2010, 06:37 PM
I carry a flashlight about 70% of the time, Surefire Aviator, I've had it 6 years.

nevermas
November 15, 2010, 07:20 PM
Fenix Ld10 for me as well, apparently it is pretty popular with everybody here

TimboKhan
November 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
I don't carry one on my person (except for my Fenix E0D) very often at all, but I always have one in close proximity.

My bedside light is a Surefire G2 that I have had for a few years now. Great light. My walkin' the dog light is this new Maglite multi-mode light that I have been pretty impressed with. I can't think of the model off the top of my head, but you switch modes on it via a motion sensor similar to a Wii controller. The modes are, in my opinion, a little gimmicky, but they do work. The regular light part is suitable for general use. I also have a tried and true Ray-O-Vac sportsman Extreme that I keep in my pack. Not the brightest light ever, but a good task light, and a very good light to keep in my pack on account of it's ruggedness and cheap price.

the iron horse
November 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
I carry a Smith & Wesson LED Pocket Light.

kbbailey
November 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
Streamlite Stylus.
Same size as a long ink pen.

Sheepdog1968
November 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
About two or three years ago Sig arms had a good deal going on a small AA LED flashlight for like $60 when I was ordering some other stuff. It's something like 60 or 80 lumumens and has worked well for me over the years. When it breaks, I will likely get a small Surfire likely the E1B backup or similar. 110 lumens (more than I really need) and around $140.

Deltaboy
November 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
AAA mini-mag and a AA mini-mag!

cleardiddion
November 16, 2010, 12:22 AM
Streamlight Scorpion

leadcounsel
November 16, 2010, 09:25 AM
Big fan of Coast LED flashlights that use inexpensive and common AAA batteries. The flashlight was $50 at Lowes and my smaller ones were like $20 for two-packs at Costco. Thumb pressure switches, bright, and long battery life.

IMO and experience, avoid the costly lithium battery models. The batteries die quickly, don't last long in cold, and are very hard to find and expensive to replace.

HiWayMan
November 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
Coleman Max...........it has held up for several years now to daily use and often extreme abuse as well.

22-rimfire
November 16, 2010, 11:33 PM
Since buying my first two-pack of these 130 lumens Rocky flashlights, I now have 6 of them and I'm quite pleased with them. I carry them every day in my truck, on night stand, in office, in my field bag, and around the house as needed. Can't beat them for about $15 each or about $30 for a two pack. They run on three AAA batteries.

Mountainman38
November 17, 2010, 04:26 PM
What is it currently?...

The best light I've found for my uses is a Jetbeam Jet-II IBS. It has three modes that I have set at about 110-20-220 lumens, and can be focused from a spot light to a pretty decent flood. The only problem I have carrying a light is that it rubs holes in the bottom of whatever pocket it's in. I like to wear carpenter pants so I have the pockets on the side, but most of mine have nicely frayed holes in them now.:mad:

I don't understand why more manufacturers don't make lights that can be adjusted like this Jet-II -- there are really very few times I want a spotlight while looking through my truck at night, or walking around the house after the kids are in bed.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3052/sku135341.jpg

sixgunner455
November 17, 2010, 04:30 PM
Surefire G2 LED.

kbbailey
November 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
When asked about EDC, I assume that means on your person. My Streamlite Stylus is ALWAYS in my pocket, at work, at home, at church....everywhere.
A high dollar sooper-lite may be brighter, and have more bells and whistles, but will do little good if you don't have it ON YOU.
<PLUS>....
My Stylus will fit down the barrel of a 12; 16; or 20ga shotgun. This is very useful as a wadknocker/FTE/borelight.(Let's see your lights do that!)

TimboKhan
November 17, 2010, 10:33 PM
IMO and experience, avoid the costly lithium battery models. The batteries die quickly, don't last long in cold, and are very hard to find and expensive to replace.

I would disagree with a couple points. First, at least around here you can now easily find CR123's at Walmart, and if not there, Sportsmans Warehouse. I have a set of the Sportsmans house brand in my Surefire right now, in fact. The other thing I only disagree with you based on my own experience which is evidently different from yours, and that is the "they die quickly" point. In use, yes, they die fairly quickly. However, they are far more dependable at rest than AA or AAA is, and thats why I have my Surefire as a bedstand light. I check them once in awhile, but past that, I know when I need it, my light is going to work. The reassurance that provides is worth the extra cost of light and batteries.

CR123's are more expensive, and the fact is that for my other lights I prefer AA and/or AAA for the simple reason that they are more easily and cheaply replaced.

22-rimfire
November 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
I don't know anyone who actually carries a flashlight in their pocket or on their belt everyday (EDC) except folks that use them on the job. I keep my flashlights handy. I do like the LED Mini-Mags (D-cell size) for hard use. The focusing feature is very useful. But with these little Rocky AAA cell lights, I have them closer at hand due to their size. I would have one in my day pack or hunting, no question and certainly won't be carrying a large mini-mag light in that scenario. The Surefires and other similar high-end lights are just too expensive for me when I commonly misplace flashlights for weeks on end. Misplacing a $100 flashlight is a problem. The Coleman's are attractive because of the price and useful (got one a year or so ago), but I like the Rocky better.

sansone
November 18, 2010, 08:15 AM
I like ANY small LED light that uses AA batteries. LED's burn with very little power drain, and AA batteries are cheap. My former favorite was AA mini-mag but the bulbs sucked power like a Cadillac :D

lloveless
November 18, 2010, 04:52 PM
I use a streamlight microstream-3.5 inches long and uses a AAA battery, pocket clip. Bright LED, 20 lumens of light.
ll

Bonesinium
November 18, 2010, 05:12 PM
I keep a AA Mini Mag in the pocket of my flight suit all the time. I also keep one in my travel backpack at all times. I don't remember what type is in my helmet bag, some sort of LED that seems to always inadvertently get turned on and kill the batteries...

Dionysusigma
November 18, 2010, 05:23 PM
Days off, it's a Fenix P1D-CE (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1d.htm) in my jeans pocket. At work, it's a Smith & Wesson Galaxy Elite (http://www.swflashlights.com/product-info.php?pid71.html) that I got on sale for ~$20, in my pocket, and a headlamp of some flavor that's always worn before the sun comes up (currently a POS Energizer from Wal-Mart).

The Fenix has been dead-nuts reliable. The Smith, I've only had for a couple of days so I can't really comment on its durability. It's bright, though, and the batteries are far less expensive. My rifle wears a SureFire G2 with a KX4 lamp.

rromeo
November 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
When I used a flashlight at work, I carried an Inova X5. I'm not smart thought, so instead of $30, I paid $50 because it says Snap-On.

BADSBSNF81
November 18, 2010, 08:36 PM
Pak-Lite

CaliCoastie
November 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
fenix ld20, runs on AA's so its cheap and you can find them anywhere. also not much more than 50$ for the light.

Erik M
November 18, 2010, 11:48 PM
one of the many cheap surefire knockoffs on dealextreme.com. Ive bought 4 lights from them in the past and they are all still functioning.

basicblur
November 19, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have a Streamlight PT-2L (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88031-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00396S1Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290142965&sr=8-1) on my belt at all times-'bout the same length as my cell phone pouch and ya never know it's there 'cuz it's so small (but still big enough to grip with a fist).

Before I got the PT-2L, I carried (and still do) a Streamlight Nightfighter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00091V2KC/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk) whenever it was cool enough for a cargo jacket.

Both of 'em have the newer C4 LEDs-although it's rated higher than the Nightfighter (180 vs 120 lumens), the Nightfighter is a little brighter than the PT-2L and has more peripheral light-I assume because it has a bigger head/reflector, but that darn PT-2L is just so small/convenient/bright!

I'm partial to CR123 batteries-for whatever reason the CR123 lights I've tried have been brighter than AA units I've tried. WalMart is gonna burn ya if you buy 'em in the photo section ('bout $5/each). I hit police supply houses, mail order etc and so far I'm getting name brand CR123s for around $1.40 each.

They're actually cheaper than any name brand lithium AA/AAAs I can find.

Dunno what the deal is with someone that posted lithiums don't handle cold well-from what I understand, lithiums have a much wider temperature operating range than alkalines, etc.

Stainz
November 19, 2010, 05:24 AM
I've changed to CR123's - greater shelf life, wider temperature range, and massive energy storage to size/weight/cost ratio. While a pair of them will go flat in a Surefire 6P (incadescent) in 50 minutes and only put out a maximum of 65 Lumens, the now dated 6P LED variant will put out more light, 80 Lumens maximum, for 5 hr - and useful light for 11 hr. I first tried a Fenix P2D Q5 CE, single CR123 multifunction light, I got a deal on the Surefire E1b Backup 2.5 yr back - and it has been my EDC ever since. I buy US made Surefire CR123's for $21/12 boxes directly from them - and give boxes to my son & f-i-l as Christmas gifts (They have Fenix single cell lights.).

Oddly, the first thing I do with a pocket knife is remove it's clip... the E1b Backup uses it's clip - it is my LH front pocket EDC - and I mean every day - every where!

Stainz

DAdams
November 19, 2010, 04:07 PM
The older I get the more frequent it is I carry a LED light and reading glasses ;)

I have a 1XAAA 4Sevens Stainless ReVo on my key chain 82 Lumens OTF, out the front rating, and three light levels.

I frequently carry a penlight style 4Sevens Preon II 160 OTF 2XAAA. It's my favorite since you can carry it like a pen, I also have it on a light lanyard and you will frequently see my watering the dog with it around my neck.

My major on the belt number is a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 2X123A and 350 Lumenst OTF. Its my boating and camping light. It will run in moonlight mode
.2 lumens for 7.5 days.

I put a Fenix L1T v 2.0 in my wife's car. It's a 1XAA at 80 lumens. I have a EagleTac 2XAA in my truck console.

I also have a 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2 180 Lumens OTF, show someone this light at night and they are amazed at the size vs output of this little sucker.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/14SevensG5800cc.jpg
Maelstrom G5

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/Revo_SS_5.jpg
ReVo Stainless

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/IMG_1312-2.jpg
Preon II and Quark Mini

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/P1010015-1.jpg
642 and a Titanium LTD Quark from 4Sevens

Here is a heavy carry early Fenix T1, my wife uses it to walk the dog at night.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/t12he7.jpg

This makes a nice EDC, 2XAA and only $31. 4Sevens QMini
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Flashlights/Mini_AA2_3.jpg
This one is hanging on my office door on a lanyard.
4Sevens supplies some nice accessory items with most of their lights and they come with a 10 year warranty. They are out of Atlanta

www.4sevens.com

If you use a lot of batteries, particularly AA and AAA there is a nice rechargable setup from Sanyo.
Eneloop Ni-MH. You can find kits and seperates on Amazon. They have a great shelf life and don't have to be drained. You can even put them in a cylinder to create C and D Format batteries.

http://www.eneloop.info/home/faq.html

wingslevel
November 20, 2010, 08:00 AM
edc an energizer LED that uses 1 AA btty w/ about 65 lumens. picked up on sale for around $14 and rides next to my billfold in a back pocket. have been in a building when power went out, frequently going in/out of parking lots at night and just handy to have on me just in case since it slides into a dead space anyway.

when i choose to carry a flashlight (the energizer is always there) it's usually a surefire 6P or G2 but i'm finding more use for the AA/AAA btty models. have also had good luck with the rocky brand and keep one (along w/LED 3D mag) in each car.

Creature
November 20, 2010, 08:23 AM
Fenix PD30 (257 Lumens). Bright and has lots of options:

Two modes with 6 types of output:
Turbo Mode: 257 lumens (2h37m) ->Strobe
General Mode: 10 lumens (126h); 67 lumens (17h); 124 lumens (7h45m): and SOS

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/bigpics/fenix%5Cpd30r4.jpg

JLaw
November 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
My current carry is a 2 x AA Coleman LED light. I can't find it on their website, but it is a WalMart special.

At work I always have a 2 x AA MiniMag, sure is handy. Would like to upgrade that to an LED model.

Bedside is a 2 x D cell LED MagLite. That is one fine flashlight for what I need it for.

As far as all the CR123 cell flashlights out there, well, I'd like to have one. Especially the SureFire G2 LED. But I'm a little too simple minded and way too cheap to part with that kind of money. My Coleman and MagLite's have held up so well for so many years, I have a hard time justifying a more expensive light.

JLaw

MrWesson
November 20, 2010, 03:27 PM
coleman max no better deal out there that I am aware of.

3 AAA batteries
144lumens
under $30

DAdams
November 20, 2010, 10:38 PM
coleman max no better deal out there that I am aware of.

3 AAA batteries
144lumens
under $30

$36 and 10 year warranty. 2XAAA
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_332_367&products_id=2087

LED: CREE XP-G R5
Max Output: 160 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens Material: Hard-anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum
Lens: Optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating on both sides
Water resistance: IPX-8
Battery: Two AAA, included (see voltage range to select acceptable batteries for this light))
Operating Voltage Range: 0.9V-3.0V
Seven Output Modes:

MrWesson
November 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
$36 and 10 year warranty. 2XAAA
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2087

Max Output: 160 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens Material: Hard-anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum
Battery: Two AAA, included (see voltage range to select acceptable batteries for this light))
Operating Voltage Range: 0.9V-3.0V
Seven Output Modes:

Great find but at 5 inches long a little large if you want to carry it around.

Even so I may pick one up for around the house.

kayak-man
November 21, 2010, 04:03 PM
I used to carry a Photon II microlight on my keychain, but the split ring broke and i lost it.

Now when I go out, I usually slip a Techlite Lumen Master from costco into my jacket pocket. http://brasstard.com/2010/04/13/in-review-costco-tactical-lumen-master-flashlight-by-techlite/

I also carry a minimaglite from time to time. But the one flashlight that I always have (albeit the slowest to turn on) is the built in flashlight on my phone - not the backlight, an actual flashlight.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

conw
November 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
wb_carpenter, width is much more important than length for comfort. Pen lights are very comfortable to carry.

My own personal choice is the 4sevens tactical quark. I don't carry it all the time. A photon freedom microlight does the daily work. The 4sevens is for night time walks (two chosen settings are max brightness strobe, and a medium brightness setting) and bike rides (clips right onto brake cable
housing).

DAdams
November 21, 2010, 04:57 PM
In the 4Sevens line there are two stylus or pen items.
Preon I and II one is 1XAAA the other 2XAAA.
When they first came out they came as a kit so you could convert from one to the other.

I like the Preon II, good output and a number of ways to carry. Shirt pocket, pants pocket, on a lanyard around the neck.

As stated I would rather deal with something a bit longer with less diameter when it comes to pocket carry.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Preons-2.jpg

Preon 1
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332_366

Preon 2
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332_367

Titanium is down to $58. 160 lumens OTF (this rating is important).

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/4SevensPreonIITi_182x122.jpg

crasen
November 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
I carry a Fenix LOD. It uses 1 AAA battery and it is the perfect size to carry it in the sheath with my Leatherman wave

Yarddog
November 21, 2010, 06:26 PM
I own a few, Like holsters I carry a gander mountain special 120 Lumens it take a AA & Last 1.5 hrs with a spot to flood adjustment. My favorate is a Surefire G2 with a new bulb that last 12hrs & is 120 Lumens ; )
Y/D

Black Knight
November 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
While I don't always carry a flashlight away from the job the light I do carry on the job is a Hell Fighter X-8. I ordered it from the NRA Store. It fits in a hard case 21" ASP baton holder perfectly.

MrCleanOK
November 21, 2010, 07:25 PM
SureFire Z2 with an LED head.

grubbylabs
November 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
I keep a re- chargeable mag light in the truck and a head lamp in my pack for hunting.

DAdams
November 21, 2010, 08:49 PM
a head lamp in my pack

A must have,(not EDC) but it is EDC when I am camping. Mighty handy for around the house projects. I have worn out my EverReady and am on the second one. I like the way they adjust and the various light levels and I have even used the red light when boating.

grubbylabs
November 21, 2010, 08:59 PM
Ya they are great for working on cars, you don't get blinded by the trouble light that never stays pointed where you aim it.

Chicken321
November 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
I carried a Streamlight Stylus Pro for about 6 months until I finally abused it just a little too much so now it only works when it wants to. That was 3 months ago and I still have not sent it in for repair. Since then I have been carrying a Streamlight Strion LED. It can light up dear eyes from 100 yards, it can clearly light up a dear body at 50 yards. The Strion is about as big a light as I would want to EDC; its okay in jeans but just doesn't work in dress pants. The Stylus on the other hand, can easily and comfortably fit just about anywhere. I have heard good stuff about 4sevens products, but have no first hand experience. The good folks at the Candle Power Forums can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about anything that makes light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/portal/index.php

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297

P.S. The Strion has been droped several times from 5-6 feet onto concrete and been submerged in water many times. It has not failed me yet. The Stylus put also put up with an amazing amount of abuse before it quit.

DAdams
November 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
For 4Sevens

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297

Sniper X
November 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
I have quite a few flashlights. I have pretty much stopped carry of the Surefires unless I am camping or hunting. I carry a tiny very bright Coleman Max the little two cell LED one. I can't remember off the top of my head what the batteries are, but the light is 115 lumens and was only 25 clams at Walmamrt. I jut bought the BIG Coleman Max Bubba, and it is KICK BUTT! 167 lumens and takes 6 AA batteries and has a burn time of 37 hours! Man, it is as bright as a car headlight too. And all this at a staggering price of $25.00 at wall.

Doug S
November 22, 2010, 07:26 PM
I keep trying to make the stuff in my pockets smaller. My newest attempt is the single AAA LED, Fenix E05. I have to say that so far I'm very pleased with it. Appears to be nicely made, only 2 1/2in in length and decently bright at 30 lumens. It's a flood light, so it's more of an up close and personal light, but within it's limitations it really seems to do a nice job. Battery life is rated by Fenix at 2.5hrs which isn't too great, but people who have done runtime tests over on CPF are claiming 5 hrs out of Energizer lithium which is ample IMO. Paid $17.95 + $5.99 shipping. Comparing it to my Fenix E01, I think I like the E05 better in everything but battery life. It's certainly not a "tactical" light which it seems are most popular in the gun forums, but it is a good functional EDC.

Rubber_Duck
November 22, 2010, 10:13 PM
My current EDC light is a Streamlight PolyTac LED. All my flashlights use CR123 lithium batteries, I find that the increase in brightness and runtime over AA or AAA batteries is worth the extra cost in acquiring 123s. Besides, I can buy 12 batteries for $15 with .mil discount so I can't afford to go with lower performing alkaline-powered lights, especially since my job depends on being able to see. I've actually taken my PolyTac with me on the job and used it successfully.

My previous EDC was a SureFire Z2 with a P61 120-lumen incan lamp. It was an expensive flashlight, even more so with having to order the SureFire clicky tailcap that should be standard on SF lights. But I have replaced it as my EDC with the PolyTac because it is a cheaper light, and doesn't eat batteries like the SureFire does. I will be buying a Malkoff M61W LED head for my SureFire in the near future and returning it to EDC duty as I prefer the grip of the Z2, where it's real skinny in the middle. It's also a pet peeve of mine that SureFire flashlights, as expensive as they are, don't come with clicky tailcaps. I don't know ANYONE that likes the turn-for-constant-on OEM tailcaps. The PolyTac was a better value to me than the SureFire Z2, if only for this reason.

jojo200517
November 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
I like my Coleman MAX. 3AAA batteries, bright as crap. First one I got I ended up mounting on my shotgun and bought another for everyday use. Both of them have been dropped and handled pretty rough. A word to the wise tho they aren't 100% watertight even tho they have an o-ring seal. Water never got into the LED part as far as I could tell but it did get in the battery compartment even tho the cap was on tight when I threw it in the pool. Yeah I wanted to test it out. Dried it out and went back to business as usual.

I think some of the flashlights I have seen are utterly ridiculous in price.

Now Sniper X has got me wanting to get one of the BIG Coleman Max Bubba's with his positive review of it. I haven't seen it in person but i'll look when I make my weekly visit to Ammo-Mart .....em ooops Wal-Mart. Currently $20 on walmart.com with free shipping to home or store.

Edit: had to get longer screws for the mount to put the Coleman MAX on my shotgun as it was a tad bit bigger around than most tactical lights.

Rexster
November 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
I used to carry a Surefire M2 Centurion many places. I now carry a Surefire LX2 Digital Lumamax even more places, virtually everywhere. Pricey, but high-performance. I also found it to be truly excellent for night-time photography, as the new Surefire LEDs are very white-balanced. It can substitute for a flash, or be used to "paint" with light, with the camera set for an open shutter.

Grizfire
November 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
Surefire Outdoorsman, good balance between output and longevity

huntinggamo
November 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
i dont carry one on me all the time, but i do keep a surefire 6p def in the car and one by the front door, if i leave the car later in the day or the house after dark it stays on my person. normaly if im within 2 hours of dark ill have a light on me

DAdams
November 26, 2010, 02:46 PM
You want something small and (180L OTF) bright?

The price on these have been reduced to 31.20 and if you are a Candle Power Forum Member, the cpf8 code is good for another 8% off. Brings this to 28.70.

If there is a downside to this light, I thought the R2 format which is used to get something so small might have a high burn rate. After carrying it around for 6 months, I am still on the same 1 R2 battery and hence a non issue.
You can get these bulk from 4Sevens in a 10 pack (1.90 each) which should keep you covered for a couple of years.

Out of all my lights, this one has the greatest WOW factor when you show it off. The diminutive size belies its blazing output with moderate throw and huge flood.

It has a pulse tailcap (not rubber).

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_355&products_id=2423

$31.20!!

Quark MiNi CR2 Basic Specifications

Max Output: 180 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens
Material: Type-III Hard-anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum
Battery: One lithium CR2 (3V) (TWO batteries included!)
Seven Output Modes:
Low: 3 OTF lumens, 1.2 days
Medium: 40 OTF lumens, 4.4 hours
High: 180 OTF lumens, 40 minutes
Special (hidden) modes:
Strobe 1.4 hours
SOS 4.3 hours
Beacon (Hi) 7.2 hours
Beacon (Lo) 36 hours

Dimensions:
Length: 2.0 inches
Diameter: 0.75 inches
Weight: 0.6 ounces (w/o battery)
Included accessories: Lanyard, split ring for keychain attachment, spare o-ring.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/cr2.jpg

mustang_steve
November 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
a 35lumen Nebo.

hattie
November 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
my favorite:

surefire Z2 with special 1SM CREE XR-E Q5 LED head. Uses 17670 Protected Li-ion 1600mah 3.7V Li-ion Battery.

Doug S
December 1, 2010, 02:03 PM
DA Adams,

Because of your post I bought a Quark Mini CR2. I just couldn't resist the price. Thanks for the link. Now I just need to stop surfing forums, so that I stop buying things that I don't need. Oh well, I was looking for a backup to my P1D.

DAdams
December 1, 2010, 10:25 PM
Did you get your light yet? That's an amazing price for an awesome light with a 10 year warranty.

I was showing mine off after Thanksgiving dinner and Jim a retired pilot had me order one for him. I also ordered a 10 pack of R2 batteries, but as I stated before, I'm still on my original battery. When I first got it I picked up a couple of DuraCells from Home Depot and still haven't used a fresh one yet.

Don't forget you can use the tailcap switch to pulse/toggle through the settings.

I have mine attached to a Buck Smidgen....There you go, something else you (don't) need. ;) knife, bottle opener and a nice caribiner.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/BU160SS.jpg

Doug S
December 1, 2010, 11:21 PM
Did you get your light yet? That's an amazing price for an awesome light with a 10 year warranty.

I placed my order today 12/1 at 1:30, and received notice of the light being shipped an hour later. I agree the price was too good to pass up, and they look like nice lights.

Don't forget you can use the tailcap switch to pulse/toggle through the settings.

I didn't know this. Can you explain how it works. The website didn't mention this, but I like the idea of a tailcap switch.

Picture of my current EDC lights for OP. All under 3in and very easy to pocket carry everywhere, everyday. The difference in size between the E01 and E05 isn't as big as it appears in the picture (although the E05 is smaller).
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/dmattaponi/EDCLights.jpg

TH3180
December 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
Streamlight Stylus, it's not much but it works. I like them because I can put it my pocket. The wife likes them because it is small enough to fit in her purse. I think I have every color they make. Also they work great for reloading, to check powder levels.
See how I tied firearms into that. :)

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=52

Imon
December 2, 2010, 12:56 AM
My 2nd HDS Ra Clicky.
I lost my old one in a hike through Ouachita National Forest. :banghead:

My new Ra Clicky.
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy84/Imontome/CIMG0040-1.jpg

I always carry a extra 16340 on me too.

Carl Levitian
December 2, 2010, 08:57 AM
For many years now I've been carrying the old AA minimag. It was converted with a drop in LED from Nite-eze a few years back, and it's been working fine every night. I used to carry a smaller light, but the AA minimag is such a nice under the radar kuboton, I'm loath to abandon it. If I replace it, I'll just get the new LED minimag. I like the idea that I can replace it at the next Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes I run into. If I need a little tiny light, I have the Princeton Tech Pulsar 2 on my keyring. Gives a very surprising amount of light for a little 2016 coin cell light.

Carl.

stonecutter2
December 2, 2010, 09:26 AM
Streamlight Nano.

It's amazingly bright for such a tiny little flashlight.

It's only drawback is that it has an annoying ability to unscrew itself over time. It's only happened once to me, but I found 4 little batteries and two flashlight pieces in my pocket.

I still love the thing - it's tiny and amazingly bright. It will blind you if you look at it, and the batteries have lasted a long time.

DAdams
December 2, 2010, 09:37 AM
NutNFancy 4 Sevens Review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGl3XDeR-Ig

Quark Minis AA, 123A and R2. Nice plug for my personal favorite the Preon II.

E304life
December 2, 2010, 02:35 PM
I carry a Fenix E01 at all times on my keychain. I'm looking to upgrade to a ITP A3 for some more lumens but i'm afraid of losing the reliability of the Fenix. We'll see...

pitsmile
December 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
I carry a Streamlight scorpion in backpack, and a Surefire 6p LED for more heavy duty stuff.

SOG just released a strobe tac-light w rigid (defender) ends on both sides! :p

Soundmixer
December 2, 2010, 03:29 PM
Plus 1 on the Fenix E01.
I use it at work (AV Tech at a University), dog walking and every other use I can throw at it.
It lives in the little pocket on my jeans all year and, along with my yellow Peanut, is my EDC.
I have attached a piece of an old dog flexi-lead cord so I can hang it round my neck. This is really handy when poking about in a roof void running cable and I can still hold it in my mouth and then drop it and not lose it. The battery life is excellent and it is bright enough for most situations. Sure I could go bigger and brighter (and more expensive) but I can't see the point.
I got my wife one as well and she can't leave home without hers either.

Euan

Carl Levitian
December 3, 2010, 01:50 PM
Last night I finally broke down and bought a new LED AA minimag. I'd been going along for years now with my old Nite-eze converted ones, but I bit the bullet.

I wish now I'd bought one sooner. A very very nice light. Throws a nice bright white spot good enough that I lit up a deer a good 75 yards down through the woods from my back deck. Only a tiny bit longer than a regular minimag, it still fits in the right side pocket of my jeans comfortably. Like the old minimags, long enough to make a very good fist load or kuboton for travel on airlines, and lights up the dark very good. For the 20 bucks it cost me, its great. Easy to replace at the next box store I come to, and does not look threatening.

I've tried the pocket lights, but I like having a real flashlight that can do some defense duty in dire need, to back up my blackthorn. I like the low level setting, more than enough to find my way around a dark house, or find the path while walking the dog on her last walk of the night. And with Mag Industires unbeatable lifetime warrentee, it's a must have.

Carl.

mudbrik
December 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have one of those little fishes that light's up out of the mouth when you squeeze him on my keychain for my housekeys. My flashlight on my belt is a Hellfire X-11, but I cannot afford to turn it on because it eats up the 3volt lithiums like candy. So I use my el cheapo UltraFire I got on ebay for 20$ most of the time. 1AA in this little jewel lasts a couple weeks.

DriderX
December 3, 2010, 11:53 PM
I have a background in optics and photonics, and that's gotten me a few gigs testing flashlights for several flashlight vendors and one well-known survival-education site (http://www.equipped.org/). One of the results has been sort of a "geek's dream" of a growing stockpile of dozens and dozens of flashlights to use and play with. And *of course* part of me getting dressed each day is picking out which flashlight(s) will go well with today's occasion, like picking out the tie and cufflinks, but much more interesting. :)

Over time I've mostly gone down what seemed the "obvious" default, meaning an LED light requiring one or two 3-volt lithium batteries (Surefire E1x, E2x, and similar), or the occasional 3 x AAA or 2 x AA. I like very much the concept of the the Gerber Omnivore, which can accept AA, AAA, or a 3-V lithium battery and when I travel I always have one of those as backup.

But in the last couple years I've gone radical and mostly carry several (at least two, often 4 or 5) of the E-Gear Pico lites:

http://www.ghilliesuitclothing.com/product_images/c/pico_light_palm__49722.jpg

I just clip one of these tiny things on to every thing where it might useful. I have one clipped my house keys, another on my car keys, my pocket camera case has one clipped to its zipper pull (as do most of my jackets and parkas), etc. I have them on gun cases, range bags, day packs, and so on. Result is that whatever everyday stuff I pick to go out the door for the day, along with me are several little flashlights and I always have one or more within direct reach. I've given some to my wife and kids and they use use them the same way.

Granted, these are not big-powerful combat lights. But they're remarkably capable for the everyday uses of a flashlight. They're waterproof, virtually indestructible, are surprisingly bright for the first 2 - 5 hours, then taper off very gradually, most still bright enough for close work in the dark out past 30 or 40 hours. (Disclaimer: I did pre-production independent testing of these lights, but I'm not connected with the company and make no money from them. OTOH, I can certainly vouch for the tests first-hand :).)

I usually do carry one more light, often a Streamlight Stylus or PolyStylus "pen lite." (The smaller Stylus is more convenient but AAAA -- four A's -- batteries can be really hard to find.) The ubiquitous weapon-light type of flashlights (reflector front, 2 x 3-V lithium battery tube, cap with thumb switch on the back) are very capable, but a bit too big to nestle in a regular pocket with the pen and cellphone or whatever.

If I do carry a weapon-light type (other than on a weapon, that is), these days it's usually an Insight H2X -- it's proven durable and reliable for me and I love the various capabilities. But there are so many great lights of this type that selecting is a bigger problem than finding.

All that said, the light I use the most by far -- around the house at night, take with me when I travel on outings, the everyday-task go-to light for me, is a Streamlight Sidewinder. Good bright white beam, useful mutiple colors (green, blue, red on mine; other configurations include IR), swivel head that stays put, easy-to-find AA batteries, and -- very, very important to me -- the ability to dial down the brightness of any of the LEDs to levels low enough not to affect my night-vision adaptation. (I spend a lot of time doing things in deep dark, so the most common disqualifier of a light for my use is that it doesn't go dim enough.)
Streamlight Sidewinder:

http://www.camouflage-store.com/custom/images/products/Streamlight_Sidewinder.jpg

These little lights were originally designed for the military and are extremely popular with the troops in the Middle East. I have no connection with Streamlight or their products in any way, but I highly recommend this light as the best all-around small light, particularly if you need to preserve your night vision in use (which has the side benefit of extending battery life to > 100 hours using any color).

Remember that free advice (like the above) is usually worth what you paid for it :). Critiques / corrections / contrary views / reality checks are truly appreciated -- thanks.

Imon
December 4, 2010, 01:52 AM
Interesting post DriderX.
I have to say though, those pico lites look meh. I can take it or leave it - it makes me think of the Streamlight Nano, in fact I think it's pretty much the same thing.
I too own a Streamlight Sidewinder - I got it for a very good price and I like it but I don't find myself using it that often.
I'm more of a CR123a fan (3 volts - more electrical potential energy, more work, brighter lights!) and I know a lot of people complain about the cost of 123s but I don't buy primaries that often ... I use rechargeable Li-ion batteries. I would be shocked if you guys haven't heard about them here - they're called 16340s and they're pretty much just a rechargeable CR123a. I also use 17670s which are just rechargeable cells shaped like two CR123s glued together. All this, to me, adds up to money saved while getting the benefits of higher voltage, higher performance flashlights.

It's not all about brightness too, like you said. My EDC is the HDS Ra Clicky flashlight I posted (in post #80) and it's very expensive but generally considered among flashlight enthusiasts to be one of the best flashlights money can buy.
It's a single cell cr123a that I use my rechargeable in, to save money, and it has 23 different brightness levels and 3 special modes (SOS, fast and slow strobe). The brightness levels go all the way from 140 lumens (calibrated lumens - they actually TEST the flashlight once it's assembled to make sure you get an accurate output) to a minimum of 0.07 lumens.
All that while using a one button user interface - which is fairly simple once you learn how to use it although it could just turn people away from it altogether.

Doug S
December 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
My Quark CR2 arrived today. It it is with others for a size comparison...

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/dmattaponi/sizecomparison.jpg

DriderX
December 4, 2010, 09:07 PM
Imon wrote:
"I have to say though, those pico lites look meh."

I don't disagree -- there's nothing particularly exciting about one these little Pico Lites. It's not that any of them is all that exciting, it's more about their "swarm capability." Because they're so tiny, unobtrusive, and cheap (particularly if you buy several at a time), they just sort of disappear into all your gear -- they become almost ubiquitous. To paraphrase the great Buckaroo Banzai :), "No matter where you go, there they are." :)

It's a different paradigm from my previous one of always carrying a serious light, meaning something with 2 x CR123 or better, then maybe another serious light for backup. For quite a while I carried a Surefire Executive Defender, more recently an Insight H2X. Very capable for any situation, but a bit clunky/bumpy/heavy riding in regular pants pockets and they tend to gouge their way through the pocket material. Wearing on the belt is rather declase' in all but the most informal of settings, toting them in some kind of bag or pack detaches from you and makes it easier to lose them or just be separated from them in a mishap when you might need it most. Most of all, "the one good light" you have with you becomes a single point of failure -- something to avoid.

Having multiple tiny lights all over represents great capability gained everywhere without noticeable bulk or weight anywhere. Unless I've been stripped to my skivvies, if I'm suddenly in a light-required situation I'm certain to have a least one working Pico light and probably several of them -- on my keys, on my Leatherman's lanyard loop, on my jacket's zipper pull, in the tiny side pocket of my cellphone case, etc.

That means I no longer have single point of failure. It means I don't have to carry spare batteries for the main light because I always have ready backup. If I'm in a situation where other people need lights, I can hand them off to those who can use them and I'll still have a light or two.

Like I said, it's not that a bunch of finger-tip-sized lights will substitute for a bigger tactical light. But it's a different (and I believe ultimately more effective) way to think about how to ensure that, no matter when or where you find yourself, you'll always have useful illumination.
---
And yes, the Streamlight Nano is very similar to the E-Gear Pico Lites I happened to use, and I think Surefire has been working on something like it too. And apparently they do sell: I visited the E-Gear booth a couple of years ago when the Pico Lites were introduced; people were buying them personally by the handful. And I'm told the Pico Lites are not E-Gear's biggest-selling product, which is a bit amazing considering all the other stuff E-Gear sells. Streamlight probably sells a lot of them too; every retailer seems to have them.

Thanks for your good thoughts on this -- much appreciated.

DriderX
December 4, 2010, 09:34 PM
stonecutter2 wrote:
"Streamlight Nano...It's amazingly bright for such a tiny little flashlight"

Exactly my same thought about the e-Gear Pico Lite, which is virtually the same thing as the Streamlight Nano. See my couple of posts on this earlier in this thread.

They *are* amazingly bright, aren't they? An independent tester asked to test these little lights in pre-production and I was blown away how bright they are *and* how long they last. They're also virtually impossible to destroy. I put about a dozen of them through photometric testing and I was amazed that most of them were still putting out useful light 20, 30, 40 hours continuously. One went over 100 hours :o.

Side note: Extremes like that 100+ hour runtime for that one test light, while not uncommon, are not to be relied on -- production LEDs of all kinds can have enormous variation in their inherent brightness and efficiency. Every once in a while you get one that just seems to outperform all the other ones, sometimes tenfold or more. Some manufacturers run production tests to catch those on the production line, pick them out, and they sell them for very high prices to people who make specialty super-high-performance flashlights. Lots of cool gadgets in that high end of the LED world.

JShirley
December 4, 2010, 10:00 PM
Some very good recent posts. I agree with the "swarm approach" AND using CR 123s.

Since I'm at work, tonight in my pockets are...a modified Fenix 2AA, a Chinese 1-cell loaded with CR123, and a keychain Photon-style light.

John

Nematocyst
December 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
Quark 123.

Bought it in June. Use virtually every day.
Set to use on two settings, low and very bright.
(Normally defaults to low for immediate on.)

Have yet to change the batteries.

Rides in my pocket every day,
sits by the bedside every night.

Also in my pocket: HTC Droid with three settings.
Don't know the lumens, but the puppy is bright.

winterwinter
December 6, 2010, 02:26 AM
Quark 123 is nice stuff for sure.

TimboKhan
December 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
I don't disagree -- there's nothing particularly exciting about one these little Pico Lites. It's not that any of them is all that exciting, it's more about their "swarm capability." Because they're so tiny, unobtrusive, and cheap (particularly if you buy several at a time), they just sort of disappear into all your gear -- they become almost ubiquitous. To paraphrase the great Buckaroo Banzai , "No matter where you go, there they are."

I agree with you!

Arbor
December 6, 2010, 11:56 PM
Fenix LD01. 1 AAA battery (rechargable eneloop), 3 twisty modes (IIRC med 27lumens, low 9 lumens, and high 81 lumens). Completly waterproof; I had mine underwater, wth it on much of the time, for 6 hours and no water came in whatsoever. I got mine for $35 on amazon. I'm very happy with this light and I've carried it everywhere for about a year now.

jbh13
December 8, 2010, 03:06 PM
Wolf Eyes, Angel-A. Has 3 light settings and a strobe setting. Small and has a pocket clip.

janobles14
December 8, 2010, 06:14 PM
just got in my quark mini cr2 that i ordered because of DAdams post. gotta say that it is truly awesome! btw for those who can't picture the size of it properly in the pictures....its SMALLER than a tube of chapstick! not joking!

thanks DAdams!

AuthorityDenied
December 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
My Fenix ld20 is always on my person. I also keep a 6d cell maglite in my car

DAdams
December 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Holiday/P1010004.jpg

God Bless.

Nematocyst
December 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
That's a fine pic, Dr. DA.

bobbytm
December 25, 2010, 07:42 AM
My edc flshlight is a HDS RA Click 140lumens w/ 01 battery cr123.

http://www.ralights.com/?id=Home

http://light-reviews.com/blog/sites/default/files/imagepicker/14/PACKAGE.jpg

janobles14
December 31, 2010, 01:15 AM
just an update for those interested....

sold one of my quark mini cr2's and went to a quark mini 123 to streamline my battery buying (though i still have a mini cr2). the 123 now uses a cree s2 emitter which is a bit more neutral (yellowish and more like an incandescent). i tend to like the r5 emitter better but am getting used to the s2 but if you like the cool bluish white tint of the cr2 then stick with it.

btw...im not going to get rid of the 123. its not THAT big a difference i guess.

DAdams
December 31, 2010, 09:27 AM
I see a number of 4Sevens now have S2 and some S3 emitters.

I might have to pick up another Preon II (S2) with a little higher output. Mine gets a daily workout taking the dog out at night. It has served me well and I have been using the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AAAs to keep it fed.

BTW I keep it on a lightweight lanyard and wear it around my neck with the light clipped in my shirt pocket. I wearing a T with no pocket I just let it hang.
In either event I can let it drop if necessary and the lanyard keeps it somewhat in place and pointing to the ground with the needed light is required.

I am not a big fan of the neutral LEDs since output is reduced albeit at the expense of a more natural tonalities. When I am out lightig up the night my concern is typically not color rendition. That is unless it is tracking a blood trail, then one of the RBG lights would be helpful.

Happy New Year.

drjoker
January 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
Many places doesn't allow guns & knives; foreign countries, courts, airports, etc. However, they'll all allow flashlights. A bright flashlight has saved my rear end many times. Just shine a real bright one on the perp's eyes to blind 'em, and they'll run away. A blinded perp won't be able to mount an effective attack. A metal flashlight that is large and/or has a scalloped edge will make a great blunt force trauma weapon.

I may leave home without a gun, but never without a flashlight.

Pheonix
January 1, 2011, 06:42 PM
I have many flashlights, Fenix Surefire Inova Maglight etc, the one I ALWAYS have on me is the Leatherman Monarch 300.

sonofodin
January 2, 2011, 11:51 PM
Surefire 6P LED aluminum. Though I carried a variety of surefire products in Iraq and they have NEVER let me down like some of my old squad-mates....

Then again I carried spare boot laces in my ankle pockets and a spare disk of CR123's in my ruck along with a pelican case containing a full set of whetstones.

I never suffered from lack of flashlight, bootlaces or dull knives.

And they called ME crazy.....

2676mc
January 5, 2011, 02:26 PM
Surefire G2. Got a Coleman Max when I thought I lost the G2, and loved it. Back to the G2, now. It never leaves my pocket, except to go on my night stand next to the pistol. I like the tail switch on it.

2WheelsGood
January 5, 2011, 02:29 PM
Fenix TA30 or TK15. Actually, the TK15 stays mounted to the shotgun now.

crazyjennyblack
January 5, 2011, 02:50 PM
Absolutely addicted to my Surefire 6P LED flashlight. I own three now - one for the basement, one for my nightstand, and one for carry. Carry it on my belt. You never know when you'll need a flashlight, and it really is as bright or brighter than a 4d LED maglite. The downside is that it costs about $70 out the gate, and the batteries are expensive. Find a cheap source, and buy the batteries from an off brand by the 24 pack.

I also like them because they're just perfectly sized to fit into my fist should I need it....

sonofodin
January 5, 2011, 02:59 PM
+10. Soldiers know their flashlights :evil:

G27RR
January 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
On work days, I carry the Streamlight Microstream, uses a AAA battery you can get anywhere.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/2010-12-15130249-1.jpg

If there's a better chance I might need a light, I have a Surefire G2.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/2010-12-15200456.jpg

wannasupra
January 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
built one out of a 7 dollar plastic flashlight. hogged out the ridges on the inside (that hold the batteries) so i could use 3 surefire 3 volt batteries. bought a 9v surefire krypton bulb, and viola, 16 bucks and it's 85% as bright as a surefire, and i don't care if i lose it, break it, chuck it at a beaver, whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay#p/search/2/mnkjvEdeIlc

police flashlight hack is the video. fun project to do with your kids too.

Sistema1927
January 6, 2011, 09:47 PM
Fenix P1D Cree

janobles14
January 6, 2011, 10:15 PM
built one out of a 7 dollar plastic flashlight. hogged out the ridges on the inside (that hold the batteries) so i could use 3 surefire 3 volt batteries. bought a 9v surefire krypton bulb, and viola, 16 bucks and it's 85% as bright as a surefire, and i don't care if i lose it, break it, chuck it at a beaver, whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay#p.../2/mnkjvEdeIlc

police flashlight hack is the video. fun project to do with your kids too.

thats pretty neat stuff! i might have to whip up one of those just on principle!

nickortizzle1035
January 6, 2011, 11:58 PM
For the last year I have had the Surefire E2D LED in my left pocket. By now it has seen better days, but I will stand by this torch for as long as I live. In the near future I plan to invest in the Surefire M3LTS and the Z2S. If only the E2D had a strobe.... And for back up I've got a M6CB guardian in my jeep most of the time. Nothing like 500 lumens to get the point across.

sonofodin
January 7, 2011, 12:25 AM
Im most deffinantly making one of those everyready tac lights. ya'll need me, i'll be internet shoppin...

sonofodin
January 7, 2011, 12:35 AM
anyone find someplace online where you can get that particular flashlight?

22-rimfire
January 7, 2011, 11:40 AM
Like knives, flashlights can and do "grab you" and you buy. You buy far more than you need in fact. Because of this thread, I think I'm going to buy a couple of the E-Gear Pico LED lights. They aren't very pricy and I think a couple would be very useful to have around. That type of battery has a long life without use. So you can buy and "forget" until you need it.

I was cruising Sam's Club yesterday and noticed they have the large Rocky LED lights which are rated at 200 lumens. I bought a 2-pack for about $30 without giving them much thought other than I know I can find use them for work. I like the smaller 3-AAA size at 130 lumens. Sometimes the extreme brightness is very useful. These larger Rocky lights have a 50% and 100% setting (toggle switch at end of barrel) along with a strobe which they say is for emergencies. They're kind of large (7-inches) with 6-AAA batteries and are approaching Mag light size. Probabaly would be about a 2 C-Cell size in a mag light. They are certainly not a size to just stick in your pocket. I don't know what kind of battery life is to be expected. I'll give them a try. More money.... :)

Added: I understand why flashlight makers are using the AAA battery size, I think. When you get into the 6-AAA size of light, I wonder why they didn't use the C-cell size of battery. Perhaps it is because their tooling is set up for AAA and in the case of the Rocky, they just make it longer. Is their a reason other than size and ease of finding replacements why manufacturers choose the AAA size battery? 3-AA size would have a thicker diameter flashlight. Longevity perhaps?

syntaxerrorsix
January 7, 2011, 04:14 PM
I carry a Maratac AA in stainless steel. I kept losing the AAA's. I've lost one aluminum AAA and one of the copper jobs. Loved that little light but I must have been tossin' them out of my pocket when rooting around for other items. No such issue with the larger AA.

kamagong
January 7, 2011, 06:27 PM
I was working in one of the large office towers in downtown Los Angeles on 9/11. Ever since then I've kept a flashlight within easy reach. One resides in my briefcase at all times.

A year or so ago I found a great deal on Nuwai Q-IIIs as a place was selling them on closeout. I bought a half-dozen of them for $13 each. The Q-III is a bit obsolete now as there are much brighter lights available these days. But the Q-III is well-built and puts out a decent amount of light. That's all I really need for a light that stays in the car or in my briefcase. It uses pricey CR123 batteries, but the cost isn't that bad if you buy them online.

It does make sense to have flashlights that use the more easily attainable AA or AAA batteries. I have a couple of those at home also, but they are used as backups. I prefer the lights with CR123 batteries. The CR123 has a 10 year shelf life, so I have the presence of mind that my light will work when needed. Alkaline batteries and cold winter nights don't mix very well.

I just picked up a SureFire 6PL, my first. This is going to be my primary light. It doesn't use the latest tech, but this light is rugged and reliable. If I like it I may pick up one of the Defender models for my wife.

I'm also going to pick up one of those HDS/RA lights. I don't need all the lumens, but I like the idea of having a versatile light with different settings. I can use the low, medium, or high setting as needed.

Nematocyst
January 8, 2011, 09:29 PM
One resides in my briefcase at all times.Mine resides in a lower side pocket of my Carhartt trousers.

Standard edc: wallet in back right pocket, keys on belt loop tucked into left rear, Quark in left lower.
I use it at least once daily, often dialing the combo of my bike lock after dark.

JShirley
January 10, 2011, 02:59 AM
22, using 3 smaller batteries means you get more volts but less storage. More volts means more lumens you can advertise on your packaging.

RimfireChris
January 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
I almost always have my new Streamlight PT-2L. I always have my Streamlight key mate with me, love that little thing, just wish it ran off of 1AAA instead of the buttoncells, I've been thinking about upgrading to one of the Maratacs just because of that. Anybody out there know a good source for those button cells?

basicblur
January 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
Anybody out there know a good source for those button cells?
Try these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001977NCQ/ref=oss_product)-I just got some for a Key-Mate that had been laying around with dead batteries-got another Key-Mate and had to go looking for reasonably priced batteries!
You probably want the 357 (they're silver oxide) instead of the LR44 & A76 anyway?

RimfireChris
January 11, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hey, thanks for the link. That's one type that'll work. Are the silver oxides better than the alkaline?

basicblur
January 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
Are the silver oxides better than the alkaline?
My understanding is they are-admittedly I didn't do that much research, but enough to know (didn't take much) given a choice I'll take the silver oxide.

Think it was 'bout like comparing alkalines to lithiums-maybe not as dramatic a difference, but I think the silver oxides have a longer shelf life etc.

EDIT: Your Google Fu will turn up articles such as Silver Oxide Vs. Alkaline Battery (http://www.ehow.com/about_5605853_silver-oxide-vs_-alkaline-battery.html).

OpelBlitz
January 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
I had a Surefire G2L with a light diffuser on it until I lost it in Disney World, so I relegated to my Streamlight Stylus Pro until I can afford it again. It's still a good flashlight!

kart racer
January 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
Maratac single aaa is in my pocket everday.Have probably given 20 as gifts.

LAK
January 15, 2011, 01:43 AM
I am glad I am stuck on a few Streamlight, SureFire, Pelican and a couple of others.

There are so many good lights out there now that a retail newcomer is faced with a bewildering number of choices.

--------------------------------

Je Suis Prest

PT1911
January 15, 2011, 02:11 AM
I opted for the coleman max series, they put out an amazing amount of light, 75 lumens and up, depending on the particular flashlight, i have 3...

Truck -75 lumen
Bedroom- 95 lumen
Downstairs-125(?) lumen

9mmforMe
January 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
I carry this little sucker on my keychain.

http://www.dorcy.com/p-214-41-1404-led-mouse-keychain-light.aspx

I have many flashlights in the car and home to include one from Maglite which could double as a club. Also have a Winchester 3v lithium, a 20yr old Duracell handlamp that looks like it would be home next to an 8-track, but hey it still works great.

TraditionalCatholic
January 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
I carry a Coleman Max aluminum Cree LED light. It's a bit bigger around than other EDC style lights, but it packs 144 lumens and runs on 3 AAA batteries, so I know I can get batteries anywhere. They say it should have a 6 hour runtime. Very simple, no adjustable brightness or adjustable focus, but definitely gets the job done, and appears very well constructed for the price.

45crittergitter
January 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
Streamlight PolyTac HP LED.

Kylima
January 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
UK2 AAA - UnderwaterKinetics - High intensive Xenon bulb - 100% waterproof - 12 x 120 mm

SKILCZ
January 23, 2011, 07:38 PM
For an inexpensive EDC that uses (1) AA battery (ubiquitous) and has virtually unlimited modes (strobe with adjustable rates, low, high, etc.), this $12 light (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/akoray-k-106-cree-q5-wc-220-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-aa-1-14500-47320) works well. Rated at 220 lumens, though I'm skeptical of that claim. I have much better lights for other purposes, but this one is a small, multi-function, programmable "220" lumen option that uses easily obtainable batteries & clips to your pocket very easily.

http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_47320_1.jpg

For a better, brighter light, I like the SolarForce L2m (http://www.solarforce-usa.com/category.sc;jsessionid=A47D7A6315823502A2BE260387AD0534.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=13), though it's quite a bit larger for EDC. Jim ("Jimdo" on THR (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=451093&highlight=cree)) is a great guy to deal with and gives you great customer service, too.

http://www.solarforce-usa.com/images/Sforce%20L2M%20Blk.jpg

charlie fox
January 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
A Rock River AAA LED.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those that carry a flashlight everywhere..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!