Do you think this ammo is really non-corrosive?

PDA

12guagecody
November 15, 2010, 01:14 AM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/15-rds-762x54r-m30j-182-gr-ammo.aspx?a=195727

looks like surplus to me, i thought it was all corrosive :confused:
what do you guys think???

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think this ammo is really non-corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrWesson
November 15, 2010, 01:29 AM
newer stuff isn't corrosive and that looks like new stuff

12guagecody
November 15, 2010, 01:32 AM
so that in mind its a pretty good deal isnt it?

cleardiddion
November 15, 2010, 01:33 AM
Looks much like the Yugo 8mm I used to get.
Honestly, it's much better to just assume that it's corrosive and just follow SOP for that.
Spray with windex or any other ammonia based cleaner (if there's gonna be a wait in between range and home) and then do a standard cleaning.
It doesn't take that much more time and it might save you a headache.

If you're really curious, you can get a cheap bit of steel plate and shoot the round at it (with the bullet pulled and powder dumped) and see if it rusts.

cbrgator
November 15, 2010, 01:35 AM
The people who left comments on the website you posted seem to confirm that it is non-corrosive. Seems to me like it would be a great deal if it's true.

gun addict
November 15, 2010, 01:43 AM
no sry to say that stuff is corrosive, and on par as far as accuracy with Czech silvertip. It does however work better on Mosins that has rough chambers.

What's wrong with corrosive ammo anyway? I shoot almost all corrosive ammos and never had my guns rust by doing proper weapon maintaince

12guagecody
November 15, 2010, 01:45 AM
is it just as corrosive as the spam can stuff? i have no problem with weapon maintenance, but is it worth any more than the spam can?

Maverick223
November 15, 2010, 03:04 AM
is it just as corrosive as the spam can stuff? i have no problem with weapon maintenance, but is it worth any more than the spam can?In all likelihood it is corrosive (despite what the add states), but the only corrosive part is the primer (Potassium chlorate IIRC) so it is only mildly corrosive...but still requires a thorough cleaning. IMO you might as well shoot the cheap stuff (spam can fodder) or pay the big bucks for genuine non-corrosive ammunition (Brown Bear, et cetera).

:)

12guagecody
November 15, 2010, 12:28 PM
windex with ammonia will take care of the corrossiveness correct?

Maverick223
November 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
windex with ammonia will take care of the corrossiveness correct?Sure, but warm water will work just as good, and save you a little in the process. Afterwards, clean as usual.

:)

cleardiddion
November 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
windex with ammonia will take care of the corrossiveness correct
Personally I either put a kettle on or a cup of water in the microwave to get it to boiling.
I think it's quite a bit better than warm water because the temperature that it's at forces a much quicker evaporation almost guaranteeing that it doesn't leave anything in the barrel.

Edit:
Also, if there's any cosmoline left anywhere it helps clean it out.

nalioth
November 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
Spray with windex or any other ammonia based cleaner
windex with ammonia will take care of the corrossiveness correct? I DO wish we would let this myth die.

It's neither the Windex or the ammonia that has any affect - it's the 98% water content that does.

You will get the same effect pouring the melted ice from your Big Gulp down the barrel after you finish shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think this ammo is really non-corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!