Anyone want to do a UC pass-around?

PDA

Billmanweh
December 20, 2003, 06:16 PM
I'm just about to finish my copy of Unintended Consequences and I hate the idea of it just sitting on my bookshelf. I'll pay the postage to send it to someone if you'll agree to pass it on to someone else here when you're done reading it.

Any takers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone want to do a UC pass-around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R-Tex12
December 20, 2003, 06:51 PM
Now THERE'S a deal! You're a generous man, Billmanweh.

I can recommend UC without reservation as one of the better books I've read.

R-Tex

TimH
December 20, 2003, 06:59 PM
What is the book about?

armoredman
December 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
I would be happy to take it with that restriction, and would swear to do exaclty the same.

trimation
December 20, 2003, 09:32 PM
What is Unintended Consequences?

blades67
December 20, 2003, 09:39 PM
The result of "good intentions" brought to us by our government.:scrutiny:

trimation
December 20, 2003, 09:49 PM
I think I see what you are getting at.

Andrew Rothman
December 20, 2003, 10:42 PM
Sign me up. I'd love to read it.

Mal H
December 20, 2003, 11:52 PM
There are some reviews of the book on this amazon.com page. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888118040/qid=1071981728/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1075754-5945720?v=glance&s=books) The reader's reviews are much better than the editorial review.

The only problem I have about passing around Unintended Consequences is that the author, John Ross (http://www.john-ross.net/) (who is a frequent contributer here), would get no profit from his personal work. It's not quite as bad, but sort of like copying a CD several times for your friends. Just doesn't seem right to me.

StuporDave
December 21, 2003, 01:58 AM
I'd take it with that rule, no problem.

Dave

Billmanweh
December 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
The problem with copying CDs and/or file sharing is that two or more people can then use the material at the same time. You've created your own hard copy of the material without paying. The equivalent would be if I took my copy of UC and made copies and passed those around. I'm offering to give away my copy. But this isn't my place, so if this isn't kosher let me know.

armoredman, e-mail me with your info and I'll get this in the mail to you early next week.

Mal H
December 21, 2003, 11:30 AM
No, no, don't get me wrong. I encourage as many people as possible to read UC. My feeling on the matter has zip to do with "official" THR policy. I was just concerned that the author gets nothing out of the multiple readings. Your observation on the difference between passing a book and making copies of CD's is very valid.

One thing that several folks have done is to donate a copy to their local library. I guess that's the ultimate "pass around" scheme, isn't it? ;)

willie91
December 21, 2003, 06:14 PM
I would love to read it! put me in line please.

kudu
December 21, 2003, 06:32 PM
If anything, the people who get to read the book might want one of their own. I have read mine at least 5 times so far and still pick up little details that I missed the time before. A real recommended read for the gun owner or not.

spartacus2002
December 21, 2003, 08:22 PM
If you do the pass-around thing, and you're concerned about John Ross losing money, then if you receive it via pass-around, read it, and like it, stick a $5 in the mail to Mr. Ross. I know that won't help his book sales numbers, but better to have people read it and Mr. Ross make some dough, than have people NOT shell out $20 a copy.

Sean O'Brian
December 21, 2003, 11:26 PM
:) sounds good to me! Sloppy seconds, no problem!

-S

Henry Bowman
December 22, 2003, 09:35 AM
I already have 3 copies in circulation. :D Does that make me a little :uhoh: ?

pytron
December 22, 2003, 01:28 PM
I've read UC twice (checked it out from the library) but it's still on my Christmas list :) It's just one of those books I'd like to have.

-Pytron

Balog
December 22, 2003, 02:22 PM
For those who'd like to preview the work, it's available as a .pdf here
http://odin.prohosting.com/~valjm/Consequences.PDF

Balog
December 22, 2003, 02:23 PM
pytron: they have UC at your library?! Sweet! My local AZ libraries don't carry many gun rights type books.

ceestand
December 22, 2003, 02:47 PM
I think passing it around would generate sales. Since reading it, I have 3 copies. One for reading, one for lending, and one for safe keeping.

BTW, thanks for the reminder, I have to make sure my circulating copy is still circulating.

Balog
December 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
I'll have to call the friend I lent my copy to and see how he's coming along with it.

Billmanweh
December 22, 2003, 04:33 PM
I haven't heard from armoredman yet, but I'll keep my copy reserved for him for the time being.

In the meantime, if anyone is ready to go on this thing and you'll post here and then e-mail me your name/address, I'll order two more copies from amazon and have them dropped shipped to you. I would just ask that you come back and pass them along to someone else.

Deal?

Billmanweh
April 16, 2004, 03:59 PM
no-one ever took me up on this.

anyone want to try again? if you'll agree to pass it back around after you read it, I'll drop it in the mail on Monday...

Andrew Rothman
April 16, 2004, 04:15 PM
Sign me up! PM on the way.

bogie
April 16, 2004, 04:43 PM
Uh... Does John and Greg know about that PDF file?

Mulliga
April 16, 2004, 04:55 PM
Thankfully, my local public library has a copy. ;)

spacemanspiff
April 16, 2004, 05:36 PM
i just finished reading UC a few weeks ago. and i've been meaning to do some research, but maybe i'll get the ball rolling by asking you all some questions.

i know some of the events in the 'historical' first part of the book actually happened, but some of them i wondered about. for example, the accuracy testing of the BAR, hitting 20 steel targets out of the air, and then hitting them 18 out of 20 times on the flat side? was that actually performed?

i figured out that the Bowmans were very wealthy, but did that wealth come from Bowmans father being a historian, or what? feeding his ammo habits as well as airplane fuel would cost more than a few pretty pennies.

now i havent read up on the events at ruby ridge, or waco, or the shootout in miami. seen a lot of people mention all of those, but was the books account of those events 100% factual, or were some of the details filled in?

Billmanweh
April 16, 2004, 05:45 PM
i figured out that the Bowmans were very wealthy, but did that wealth come from Bowmans father being a historian, or what? feeding his ammo habits as well as airplane fuel would cost more than a few pretty pennies.

wasn't there some mention of his grandfather having a huge investment in john deere?

bogie
April 16, 2004, 07:48 PM
Topperwein _could_ shoot that well.

killermarmot
April 16, 2004, 08:21 PM
I'm ordering my copy right now

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone want to do a UC pass-around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!