Guns & Watches

PDA

telewinz
December 20, 2003, 07:37 PM
Show your "gun watch" Mine is called a Kremlin made in Russia.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns & Watches" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geegee
December 20, 2003, 09:34 PM
I'll give you a bump here, just so one of the owners of an "AR15.com" Special Edition watch might see your post and put up a picture. I saw one when I attended Gunstock, and they're pretty cool. geegee

cool45auto
December 20, 2003, 11:33 PM
I don't own one, yet, but here's (www.berettawatches.com) some cool Beretta watches.

Tamara
December 20, 2003, 11:35 PM
I just hold out my wrist. If it looks light and freckled, it's time to go shoot. If I can't see it, it's time to sleep so I can wake up and shoot tomorrow. ;)

Kamicosmos
December 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Good one Tam!

I like those Beretta watches! Specially the black chronographs.

I used to have a watch that the cover looked like a revolver cylinder. You'd rotate it to the side, and underneath the watchface was either a bullseye or a sillohette target...can't remember. Dang strap broke and it fell off my wrist and I never found it...only had it about a week.

Schuey2002
December 21, 2003, 12:28 AM
Here's my "Gun Watch".. It's a Seiko H558-5009 150M 'Shrouded Diver' (the photo is courtesy of Mr. Tokunaga's Watch Museum, :o ). I um, had to borrow this photo because I don't own a digital camera yet.. :uhoh:
http://www.tokunaga.ne.jp/museum/images/024_sml.jpg
(This is the same model as the one that Arnie used in the movies, Commando and Predator. ) :cool:

sm
December 21, 2003, 12:36 AM
I have to say Tamara has the best approach to understanding firearms and time.

Heck, I've "had " to be on time for stuff. "Expected" to wear/dress a certain way. Had a Rolex or two, Like my Omega's...Yes I still have to use one, more than half the time I forget to wear one.

I dod't have freckles like Tamara...principle still works for me, oh if having a class...usually one of the smokers has a watch...when the crowd around the smoke bucket or in the hallways thin...guess class is a starting...:p

That or something free is being given away...got a free cheap disposable lighter from the pro-smoker campaign...he he...

Sunray
December 21, 2003, 01:40 AM
Ok, I'll bite. What is the watch for? If it's light out, it's daytime. If it isn't, it's night. If you're hungry, it's time to eat. If you're sleepy it's nap time. Although, it could also be time to go home.

Dr.Rob
December 21, 2003, 08:00 AM
You know, after doing some serious research on the history of watches, a Gruen Curvex made around WW1 would be about the coolest watch you can have.

It might not be a Rolex but it went over the top at the Somme.

feedthehogs
December 21, 2003, 08:48 AM
Its not about watches.
Like a lot of things here its about gadgets and what you have and don't have.

The sun is comming up, must be time to start the day.

stevelyn
December 21, 2003, 09:06 AM
I'm trying to find a source for the AK-47 watch Mr. Kalashnikov was hawking at the SHOT show last year. I found the AK-47 combat folder is a Boker product.
If I can't find the AK-47 watch, I guess I'll just have to settle for a Chase-Durer.:D

Soap
December 21, 2003, 09:28 AM
I plan on getting a Longines for graduation. It will go nice with a Brooks Brothers suit and a Colt :D I was going to get a set of NVGs, but I figure I won't be able to use them for years anyway.

http://www.longines.com/imag_long/Watches/classic/classiques/l5_632_4_78_3.gif

Kentucky Rifle
December 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
..a Fortis Flieger Automatic 24 hour model that my wife bought me as a birthday gift in Zermatt, Switzerland for a long time. Shooting, riding my motorcycle (when I could) and through many hours in the air. (I can barely do that:mad: ) Hell of a thing, getting "older".

Will

Brian Dale
December 21, 2003, 12:11 PM
Primary job = writng and editing; I set my own schedule (but not the deadlines, unfortunately). My computer shows me what time it is. Second job = "stacking boxes;" doing a stock clerk job at a retail store during the holidays; gotta be there on time. I wear a cheap Casio, two grades below a G-Shock. That leaves more money available for ammo. ;)

10-Ring
December 21, 2003, 01:22 PM
Before my son could tell time, I told him that if he couldn't see the hairs on his arm, it was time to come home :uhoh: Now, it's a Swiss Army watch for him & a Eco Drive Ti-divers watch for 10-Ring :D

fiVe
December 21, 2003, 01:38 PM
That Beretta site is very nice.

wardog
December 21, 2003, 02:12 PM
Here's one. Kinda lame.

http://www.thegiftshq.com/specialgifts/product.asp?productid=84

telewinz
December 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
I'm a watch collector too.

2 Russian made watches (the best buy in watches today)
2 Omegas '69 & '58
1 Rolex datejust '72

ALL run great!

Skunkabilly
December 22, 2003, 01:00 AM
http://www.victorinoxswissarmy.com/images/products/watches/detail/V_722C_119.gif

Yeah baby!

sm
December 22, 2003, 01:29 AM
I grew up in a certain industry, Spent 35 yrs in it, and now at age 48 I don't miss it and kinda wish I never got involved in it. I appreciate fine things, I have no problems with those that do. I did see a lot of folks go into debt for flash and glitter, and I saw folks that had money and you wouldn't it. Heck , got a buddy, wears a Patek , with a nylon strap running tractors and stuff...only reason he wears the darn thing is to make sure his daughter gets her meds on time. Sunday Church watch is another Patek with alligator strap...it's to point at to tell the preacher to shut up...lines will be too long at the eating joint. :D I like this guys attitude.

Patek has the most beautiful movement and design engineering . Yes there are others ...Patek is awesome. I think the Omega movement ( some in particualr) put Rolex to shame. I remember when the President was $1595, the bracelet was another $1595...and the weight on the old ones were heavier and better constructed than those today.

Reality is, Swiss still use some old methods, and certain mov't are strickly in-house ( Patek). Other mov'ts are made and sold to a selected companies.

Then we have the companies that used to be, bought out and the only resemblenance they bear is the name...That old watch is a better one than the new. Waltham, Gruen...

New dealie, The "jobber", you walk in and he will show you thousands of ideas, tell him what you want, put your name on it and walla....The fact that 100 other folks have the same deal is your problem...you now have to market it. For a fee he make you a exclusive carbon fiber dial or bracelet...Joe blow has the same watch in gray for 50 bucks less.

BTDT, had to, won them, whatever. I miss a Rolex stainless that was stolen, and a Omega stolen. Mechanical. I have had a quartz, won't own one...I currently don't wear mine often, and I use self winders ( auto) or manual wind. I have a reason why. I have seen a lot of movements, from chain driven, keywound, LED, LCD, digital, analog, tuning fork, solar , auto quartz, atomic...you name it. From pot metal to platinum. from a $1.50 to $3 millon and change.

Does anybody really know what time it is... - Chicago

Dr.Rob
December 22, 2003, 01:37 AM
I might be a Colt snob but my watches are all pretty utilitarian.

I've been a Timex guy since John Cameron Swayzee.

voilsb
December 22, 2003, 02:02 AM
I wear a Luminox Captains Field Dress Watch. I think they've discontinued the style. I like it b/c of the self-luminous tritium hands.

rayjay
December 22, 2003, 02:10 AM
I have many watches, I collect watches almost as fast as I collect guns. The one I wear the most is my Luminox Stealth.

sm
December 22, 2003, 02:11 AM
Dr. Rob...you just dated us both.
I miss those commercials...recall the Timex on the boat motor, lowered into a drum of water...took a licking and came out ticking...

Cliff Divers...the Timex faired better than the divers in some cases..

telewinz
December 22, 2003, 07:45 AM
Can't argue about Timex, IMHO they are by far and away the best value in a time piece. But a vintage Omega, as good or better than a Rolex but Oh so much easier to work on and at about 1/4th the cost.

jdkelly
December 22, 2003, 11:19 AM
But I have always thought that a very well made, Victorian era, gold pocket watch would be a very cool piece to have.

jkelly

fatboyclone
December 22, 2003, 11:20 AM
http://store3.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1759_12400496

another Luminox guy here, Titanium Navy SEAL dive series for me.

Mute
December 22, 2003, 12:40 PM
Depends on the situation. Like with guns.

Most of the time, I just wear my Omega Seamaster Pro. When dressed in a suit usually a Patek 3919. In a tux? My Corum Golden Bridge. When I plan to abuse myself, a cheap Russian made mechanical watch.

Schuey2002
December 22, 2003, 01:59 PM
telenwinz,
Mine is called a Kremlin made in Russia.
Is that watch in that pic a Vostok Automatic "KREMLYOVSKIE"? :confused:

Rupestris
December 22, 2003, 04:56 PM
My current favorite is this Skagen:
http://www.skagen.com/skagen/images/items/105LTX.jpg
Now all I need is a Titanium gun to match:D
My other is a Bulova:
http://www.bulova.com/dynamic_repository/product_images/45A03_lg.jpg
I should probably get something in stainless to match this one too, huh?:confused:

telewinz
December 22, 2003, 05:46 PM
Is that watch in that pic a Vostok Automatic "KREMLYOVSKIE"?

Yep, its written in Russian. Heavy case and band, water resistant to 100 meters, Mother of Pearl face, gold layered, stainless steel case and band, mineral crystal front and see-thru back (watch the movement run!) and an automatic movement with luminous hands. The most beautiful watch I've ever seen and its kept perfect time going onto 4 straight days now (against a quartz clock, 30 seconds or less off). All for less than $150 shipped:what: With several Omegas and a Rolex you would think I'd wear them all the time but this watch is such a "looker" and has drawn so many comments that its my favorite. It has a warranty of 1-2 years depending on who you buy it from and a service life of 20 years! I'm thinking of getting another since only 1000 will be made. The picture does NOT do it justice. For me looking at the Russian made watches is like being in a candy store, had I know about them I would have saved my money and not gotten the Rolex and the Omegas (many years ago).

Brian Williams
December 22, 2003, 11:18 PM
Here are my watches and a fairly new acquisition. 1905 4th change made around 1935 with a 1930's Hamilton Pocket, Made not 10 blocks from where I am, with a 30 year gold case and a Hamilton Military watch that survived my tour in the Marines, but not civie life. Plus a bunch of stuff that was my Grandfather's. My wife gave me my pocket watch the night before we got married 28 Sept 1980.
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=679665

Subby
December 23, 2003, 12:54 AM
Omega Seamaster Pro here as well. I always considered wearing a watch to be bad luck, but this one is so cool I gotta tempt fate.

Sub

Ex-Doc
December 23, 2003, 02:47 AM
http://www.time-global.com/Images/raymond/TI1037-YS103-120s.jpg

MAURICE LACROIX

Series : Tiago

curmudgeon
December 24, 2003, 12:53 AM
My gun watch is a Sinn EZM-1. Seiko military, in olive drab w/ cotton strap on days that I'm slumming...

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns & Watches" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!