why i love the high road

PDA

rozziboy18
November 16, 2010, 01:41 AM
i have ben to many many gun sites in my time, but this one is my favorite. when a "greenhorn" as they get call everywhere else, comes here and asks questions about shooting sports and ect.. you guys treet them with respect and offer up good sound advice and fall back to your basics of safety,experiance, and true hard earned knowledge. i cant tell you guys how many threads i have read on here and safty is always pointed out. being said, i wouldent have a problem buy any of you guys a beer, if we found ourselves at the same bar.

thanks for being you thr members!

brandon.

ps. i frequent the smokey mountain brewery in pigeon forge on fridays.

If you enjoyed reading about "why i love the high road" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JustA19D
November 16, 2010, 01:51 AM
Agreed, i havent frequented so many firearm related forums, but i do frequent many various forums and this is one of the only ones that is very pro-new member, and will answer just about any question without being like "OH MY GOSH this question is SOOOOOO dumb"

brboyer
November 16, 2010, 01:53 AM
i have ben to many many gun sites in my time, but this one is my favorite. when a "greenhorn" as they get call everywhere else, comes here and asks questions about shooting sports and ect.. you guys treet them with respect and offer up good sound advice and fall back to your basics of safety,experiance, and true hard earned knowledge. i cant tell you guys how many threads i have read on here and safty is always pointed out. being said, i wouldent have a problem buy any of you guys a beer, if we found ourselves at the same bar.

thanks for being you thr members!

brandon.

Only because the Mods make us! :cuss:

Skribs
November 16, 2010, 05:34 AM
Well, the rules that are in place attract some people (us newbies) and send away others (trolls). I was thinking the same thing today, Rozzi, I've asked several questions here that I felt stupid for asking, but I was given answers by people.

bikerdoc
November 16, 2010, 05:43 AM
amazing collection of fine knowledgeble people.

redneck2
November 16, 2010, 05:52 AM
From time to time, there will be members that think the moderators are too strict. In the long run, that cuts nearly all the cheap shots and ridiculous behavior.

hso
November 16, 2010, 06:52 AM
Once you realize that what most everyone starts out knowing about firearms and firearms issues comes from their exposure to entertainment sources (Hobbits aren't real either) or hyperbolic news sources (crisis of the day) you start to feel a lot more tolerance and a desire to help folks understand the facts and truths around firearms.

xcgates
November 16, 2010, 07:48 AM
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

I can understand a lot of what the newcomers are going through, because I have taught (and am still teaching) myself everything about guns, and general handywork. In part because my family has never been very hands-on, rather paying people to do the work.

So I have a vested self-interest in maintaining that my first sentence is true.;)

ultradoc
November 16, 2010, 07:56 AM
this is a great site.

effengee
November 16, 2010, 07:58 AM
I love it because we get to talk about my favorite subject!!!

GUNS!

foghornl
November 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
Not here, but in other times/places in my life, I remember asking questions about things, and being made to feel like the "Mental Midget of The Century".

Now I will also admit to sometimes being Mr. Wise N. Heimer (AKA Intelligent Mule), but I do try to reply to folks questions with dignity & respect...just like I would like to receive when I asked about things.

rozziboy18
November 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers

i agree whole hartedly! the guys at ar15 had some realy "odd" replys when i surfed thet site. most of witch were mods!!! truth is that there are so many sites that have "crowds" that if you done agree with them, they are quick to let you know just how dumb you are. now i dont want this to turn into a bashing thread, i hate threads like that. but fact of the matter is i have been on forums for 4 1/2 years now, three of them spent here!

Vector
November 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Well, the rules that are in place attract some people (us newbies) and send away others (trolls).

While I enjoy THR, the rules seem more like guidelines and open to interpretation depending on which moderator is reading which post.

So while my experience is positive overall, I've seen a couple of situations where a moderator has injected their own personal feelings into enforcing the rules.

lions
November 16, 2010, 01:01 PM
One line in particular from the rules section stands out to me:

"Share what you know, learn what you don't."

It sums up my experience with this forum pretty well.

JustinL
November 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
It is a very welcoming and educational site that has taught me a great deal.

If I have one pet peeve, though, it is that a great many people would rather post their questions without using the search function first. I doubt anything more can be added to the 9mm v 45 ACP debate or how to pick the best bear handgun. Drives me batty.

JoelSteinbach
November 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
I lurk here,as often as I can, My wife does not believe that I spend so much time on line, just reading about guns. Since I no longer work I just have too much free, I spend my time at THR, and do a lot of reading about weapons. Because of health reasons I don't shoot as much as I like to. I found THR to be The Best, and most helpful gun site on the web. Thank the good lord that I now live in a gun friendly state

brboyer
November 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
Once you realize that what most everyone starts out knowing about firearms and firearms issues comes from their exposure to entertainment sources (Hobbits aren't real either) or hyperbolic news sources (crisis of the day) you start to feel a lot more tolerance and a desire to help folks understand the facts and truths around firearms.

Wait! What?

But, but, what about the Easter Bunny, he's real, right?

Shadow 7D
November 16, 2010, 06:07 PM
Santa posted his wish list last year...

Jim Watson
November 16, 2010, 06:41 PM
There are no stupid questions,

I disagree.
I really worry about the intelligence behind a post that asks "What did I just buy?" or "I just bought a gun, what is it worth?"

azyogi
November 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
I too disagree about there are no dumb questions, I know dumb questions from the rest because the dumb questions are the ones even I can answer.

smallbore
November 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
It's a great site because of all of you.

Hardtarget
November 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks. Glad you noticed! That is exactly why most of us come here every day! Its a good(fun) and knowledgeable group. I learn far, far more than I could ever hope to contribute.

Mark

Tim the student
November 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
THR is my favorite forum for a number of reasons; I think they have all been mentioned.

DasFriek
November 16, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ive actually left 2 other well known forums which i wont mention by name.

The first several times had moderators pm me to use the English language better and punctuation and even gave me corrected posts to show my errors.
My spell check wasn't working at the time as i was Beta testing Windows 7 for Micro Soft and it didn't work on Opera browsers yet.
After my 4th pm to speak more elegantly and intellectually i told them:
"I am who i am, Ive done everything personally possibly to meet the forums expectations and nothing i do is good enough, So please ban me on my request so you don't have to do it your self."
Im 40 years old and have a pretty decent education and all my post were of a serious nature so i wasn't there acting a fool.
So ive now been banned from TheFiringLine for i think 6 months now.

The second place would send PM's but for different reasons and it went on a point system. After being there 3 weeks i was hit 3 times and about to be semi banned for a short time for several different reasons.
One was posting a thread in the wrong place, Which was a questionable at best. And a one for using the word "Butt" and i forget the other.
So i wont be going back to XDTalk either.

In all honesty i see myself as your average 40 year old who while not a professional im not a ignorant person who takes time to make a ledge-able post and enjoy speaking to like minded people without feeling im in Middle school again and in all honesty i got into less trouble there than i did one these 2 forums.

So thank you HighRoad! I can relax and not feel like im being watched and inspected so a mod can punish me for things i absolutely cant help.
So i take extra time now and work even harder to be a better poster here as i sure as heck not going back to those two places.

awgrizzly
November 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
I was a mod for a number of years on a large forum. Without management the thing would have become a snarled mass of confusion. The hours I spent moving posts around, organizing stuff, and helping great folks was stupendous. Being a mod is a lot of work and often thankless. The mods here seem to do a great job while maintaining a low profile. It's a great place for learning with lots of mighty helpful members. My kudos to THR... whoever the dude in charge is, he/she has got it right.

Vector
November 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
Being a mod is a lot of work and often thankless. The mods here seem to do a great job while maintaining a low profile. It's a great place for learning with lots of mighty helpful members. My kudos to THR... whoever the dude in charge is, he/she has got it right.

I not only disagree with that, I have experienced just the opposite. Take a non typical view on this site and you can be totally within the written rules and spirit of them, and still have your threads locked.
So while this forum still gets an overall positive review, it will not take much for me to change my mind about how it is run regarding the aforementioned. Hopefully expressing this opinion will not result in punitive action being taken.

War Squirrel
November 17, 2010, 01:36 AM
I like this site too. Very cool headed (usually) and open to all sorts. Way better than your typical "NWO tinfoil hat militia obama is the devil" gun forum fare. Ever been to the AKfiles? O.o Jeezz.

MedWheeler
November 17, 2010, 06:55 AM
Unfortunately, there are exceptions to every rule, including the one about staying "on the high road." I've seen plenty more than one newcomer driven off because he made the mistake of showing up here with his just-purchased "substandard" (i.e, low-budget gun or .22LR defense piece, or whatever) and came under attack. However, those "attackers" who feel that the wisdom they must impart, solicited or not, are well in the minority. Most of us would much rather see someone "run what they brung", get further bitten by the bug, and go on to upgrade later..
Good to have you 'round, OP..

larryh1108
November 17, 2010, 08:53 AM
I do love the way we can all appreciate the new guys here. There doesn't seem t be that big "click" that most boards have. Everyone is treated with respect whether it's a discussion about a $3000 1911 or a $100 beater gun. I like that.

I do have one pet peeve, though:

If I have one pet peeve, though, it is that a great many people would rather post their questions without using the search function first. I doubt anything more can be added to the 9mm v 45 ACP debate or how to pick the best bear handgun. Drives me batty.

Just because a topic has been discussed before does not mean it can't be discussed again. If the thread is 2 or 3 years old, many hundreds of posters didn't get a chance to voice their opinion. Also, in the case of ammo, there are improvements made every year. What applied 3 years ago may not apply today. If I wanted a read-only forum I'd surf a library. I am here for inter-action in live time, not to read a thread from way back when.

Telling someone to "use the search function, it's been discussed before" is the same as telling him he asked a stupid question and to just go away. If you are not interested in the thread topic then just move on, don't post a snotty remark about the search function. There is no need to make a post in every thread. Some people mark every post like a dog marks his territory.

That is my pet peeve.

November 17, 2010, 09:04 AM
By Vector:
I not only disagree with that, I have experienced just the opposite. Take a non typical view on this site and you can be totally within the written rules and spirit of them, and still have your threads locked.
So while this forum still gets an overall positive review, it will not take much for me to change my mind about how it is run regarding the aforementioned. Hopefully expressing this opinion will not result in punitive action being taken.
Let me guess. One of your threads was locked.:rolleyes:

Vector
November 17, 2010, 09:19 AM
Let me guess. One of your threads was locked.:rolleyes:
More than one, and with no apparent rules violation. When I pressed the issue with the mod, he actually made up a term I've never heard before, as the primary reason he locked it. It was a thread/poll which hundreds of posters participated in, including half a dozen moderators. When I brought it to the next level I was told "the poll could have been worded better", so feel free to start another if I liked (i.e. I'm backing the mod regardless of the merit to lock the thread).
Keep in mind I administer a forum myself(non gun related), and have seen all types of moderators. Things that many ignore, some overzealous ones want to ban posters left and right. For my forum, they need to ratchet it down a few notches or they do not last.
Regardless, I can live with being told I've violated a rule or even the spirit of a rule as everyone can make mistakes. But to arbitrarily have a thread closed on the whim of an overzealous , or because my view might be going against the grain is something all together different.

larryh1108
November 17, 2010, 09:24 AM
It is usually evident why a thread is locked. The spirit of the original post was well lost and it got into a disagreement between two or more posters. You could see the thread disintegrating and you could tell it was going to get worse, not better. Closing it was a smart thing to do and if it (the "new" topic) was important enough to the combatants then a new thread can always be opened. If a thread no longer is related to the original topic then it is time to close it. 99% of the time that's how it appears. I think the Mods have a keen sense of when to close a thread here. They are on top of it. IMO of course.

November 17, 2010, 09:28 AM
Personnally, I think this is one of the excellent gun boards. Perfect? Of course not. No board is. There were times that I didn't like how threads were handled, but so what? Not my site, not my rules. I'm here as a guest. Overall, positives far outweigh negatives, so I'm hanging around.:D

And, don't anyone start the "freedom of speech" argument. It doesn't apply.

RimfireChris
November 17, 2010, 11:14 AM
I like the fact that for the most part everyone plays nice with each other.

awgrizzly
November 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm a newbie and not aware of what altercations there have been in the past, but from what I have seen here so far is that folks get along extremely well. There are differences of opinion and they are expressed, yet I haven't seen any anger or abuse. Nobody has even called me an idiot yet, even though I am. :)

People are people, this includes the mods. Some can be overbearing, some make mistakes, and some might have a bad hair day. So also the members. Some members might take offense simply because they had a post moved or bent some rule. Often a simple reminder from a mod is taken as an affront when the mod was simply doing his/her job. (I was a low level mod on a forum dedicated to wildlife biology, where posts were expected to be professional and accurate. Imagine the indignation of a scientist being corrected by a grunt know nothing like me. It was like walking on egg shells.)

It ain't easy. And with the number of people participating so well here, something has to be right about this place. Maybe it's just that it's not a good idea to piss off people what got guns. ;)

DMF38
November 23, 2010, 11:16 PM
I frequent several gun forums, but I think The High Road is my favorite. I do think the people here seem more decent than some other places. And I like the green color too! :)

Arkansas Paul
November 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
I love it around here too. There's usually not a day that goes by that I don't log in more than once. I've been unfaithful and dabbled in other forums at times, but my affairs never lasted long. :D

And chalk me up as another who thinks the mods do a fantastic job around here. They're not paid you know. They volunteer their time and rarely get any credit. The people who are pissed at them sure don't mind voicing their opinions though. Keep up the good work guys. :)

Dookie
November 24, 2010, 01:59 AM
If you haven't been a mod consider yourself lucky. I was a mod on a different gun forum, one that I have zero interest of ever going back to. The other mods and I discussed certain guidelines for members. I was the only person who actually tried to keep decorum. I always felt that a moderator should keep their distance, if you want to get involved in the discussions then get a second profile and don't let anyone know. It got to the point on the other forum where if anyone disagreed with any of the original members they were deleted. It basically turned into a "good ol' boys" clubhouse where they ran the show and screw anyone who didn't want to play by their rules.
That was a bad forum. This is a good forum. A bit lock happy but it's better than the alternative. The mods put up with a LOT of BS that we don't know about.

The only thing I wish was different was when a topic moves from it's original point and turns in to something else that is not off topic and then gets locked. I have seen quite a few good threads where no one was arguing and a good informative and interesting ON TOPIC discussion was happening, it was just not on the same topic of the OP, and it gets locked.

TNboy
November 24, 2010, 08:16 AM
I really like this site, tons of great information. I know I don't have a very high post count but I read just about every new thread in each subforum that I keep up on. Probably don't post so much because I see that the mods are pretty strict about goofing off. Sometimes I see mods close threads and think "that was a little harsh" but it's nice that this place isn't a tangled mass of junk. Thanks mods, for keeping this place clean and keeping the trolls out!

P.S. To the OP, I'm just over the mountain from Pigeon Forge, might have to take you up on that beer sometime!

jimjc
November 24, 2010, 08:24 AM
Well I`m new and it`s good to read these threads about welcoming the newbys.

Like many I`ve frequented different forums from golfing to political. Most forums today one has a lot of work to do to get any respect at all.

I`m getting back to guns after years of wandering on other things::banghead: Anyway I have reoiled everything and looking for some more "new stuff" and some good debates.

bang_bang
November 24, 2010, 08:30 AM

I'm planning on taking a trip in March to visit Pigeon Forge. Last year, I went with my cousin and we ate at the Smokey Mountain Brewery. They have some great beer and hot wings. I'll definitely keep you in mind if we book the trip. I'll take any offer of free beer I can get!!;)

rozziboy18
November 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
done deal! 2 pints of mountain light and some hot wings and fried mushrooms.. oh and dot for get the enevitable gun talk ;)

Clifford
November 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
Yup, I really like this site. Clean and to the point. I did catch some flak for picking on the French (come on....my wife is from France) the mod's keep all of us yahoo's in check and Im cool with that.

BTW... I would hate to be one of the mods. They do have a thankless job. So thanks to all that keep this site clean, friendly and to the point. GOOD JOB!!!!

Im a member at BE.com and 1911forum and this is the better site.

If you enjoyed reading about "why i love the high road" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!